Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 01-18-2021, 09:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to lorigaud
Default Buy Nothing groups - love them!

Hey, just wondering if anyone here is a member of a Buy Nothing group in your area. I LOVE my local group - I have gotten rid of so much stuff over the past few months, and I've received some awesome things that I actually use too.

If you're not familiar with these groups, there is a national Facebook group and then offshoots in local communities - the idea is pretty much what the name implies. You can post things that you want to re-home, and also post ISO's for things you need.

Old 01-18-2021, 10:29 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I’ve given and received on mine too. The only thing that annoys me (and it’s a minor annoyance) are the people that consistently only ask for things.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
I’ve given and received on mine too. The only thing that annoys me (and it’s a minor annoyance) are the people that consistently only ask for things.
Agreed... and then there are those people who seem to get all the things lol... personally, I laugh at that. The idea is to get rid of stuff.... at least for me!

Old 01-18-2021, 10:58 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

here we have such groups as well, they are called give away corner. Something you don't use you can give away there and maybe you find something you need but someone else is giving away. I LOVE it. and use it a lot of times to give stuff away we don't use anymore
Old 01-18-2021, 11:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sounds similar to Freecycle that used to run from yahoo fourms back in the day. I haven't heard of "Buy Nothing" specifically but we have a lot of local groups for Free Items and ISO's.
Old 01-18-2021, 01:17 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorigaud View Post
Agreed... and then there are those people who seem to get all the things lol... personally, I laugh at that. The idea is to get rid of stuff.... at least for me!
In my group, people make asks independent of the people posting things they want to give. For example, one woman posts asking for diapers or pull ups EVERY week! Or she'll ask if someone will share their streaming services or cable log in with her. I think she's even asked for a phone before. I finally hid her

I'm always amazed at some of the things people post to give away and how popular they end up being. Things I wouldn't even think to post!
Old 01-18-2021, 01:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Never heard of that! What a great idea. I don't think we have anything like that around my area but I'll have to check.
Old 01-18-2021, 02:31 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We have a small neighborhood group here and then a cluster of adjoining neighborhood groups as well. People always use the groups to share things they don't need anymore. We've gotten rid of quite a bit and also acquired some really cool stuff.

The latest and most cool of all was this 1961 piano we got over the weekend. The funny thing is we had to hire someone to get it moved but the piano itself was free. I'll probably make a layout about it because it's a cool looking piano.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have several buy nothing groups in our area in Michigan. Our local one is quite active! I've gotten a few things from it but mainly gave away a lot of things before Christmas. There is a great variety of items that come up. It's 100% true that one man's junk can be another man's treasure.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:33 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We have a bunch of local military groups that you can post/iso for things. Mostly it's just people saying "I have this outside my door, first come first serve" attached with a photo. It's really helpful and convenient for a lot of people as it saves on taking things to the donation center.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
In my group, people make asks independent of the people posting things they want to give. For example, one woman posts asking for diapers or pull ups EVERY week! Or she'll ask if someone will share their streaming services or cable log in with her. I think she's even asked for a phone before. I finally hid her

I'm always amazed at some of the things people post to give away and how popular they end up being. Things I wouldn't even think to post!
Wow... that's quite something to ask for streaming services...

I agree that I am often surprised about what is valuable..... and honestly, the number of people who agree to take partly used packages of food items kind of freaks me out. Uh... no. Not unless I know the person.

Old 01-18-2021, 09:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sounds like there are a lot of similar types of groups around, which is awesome! I'm not sure if it's a US thing, Rae. Could be.
Jenn, I had forgotten about Freecycle! I used to be part of that years ago. This is pretty similar. Back then, I had a husband who was a hoarder though, lol. Made it tough to get rid of things.
Cool about the piano, Lea - I'll look forward to your page!
Wendy - absolutely! I set up a table out in my driveway and just set stuff out there for people to pick up, labeled with their names. So much easier than driving it to Goodwill!

Old 01-29-2021, 09:21 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I don't have any big stuff to give away. I usually have a donation bag that I keep and then when it starts getting full, I look to see if any of the donation trucks are coming by. I sign up, and they pick up the bag.

Share your cable? LOL!

Leah, that piano sounds awesome!