Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2012, 09:43 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default what was I thinking?

https://www.sweetshoppedesigns.com/i...as-i-thinking/

I want to hear your stories...
Old 08-13-2012, 10:51 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

LMAO at the lady and the slide. That was a fun read and awesome layout!

Dawn
Old 08-13-2012, 12:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Rebecca, a rummage sale (we call them jumble sale over here in the UK) is my worst kind of nightmare so I take my hat off to you!
Old 08-13-2012, 09:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Holy moses but I am so happy you were able to pull it off, for your sake! The last time I helped organize one was not as stressful because it wasn't at my house, but still, hauling stuff out to be sold AND dealing with strange neighbor customers wasn't too fun for me
Old 08-13-2012, 09:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We had one this year too, and it was a dud!! We got rid of everything, but by the last day we were just giving it away! Yours sounds much more exciting (and aggravating!! I have NEVER had anyone try to bargain like that!)

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 08-13-2012, 09:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I hate bargaining too. My husband on the other hand loves it. When we shop at yard sales he's always the one to try and barter. However, he doesn't try to insult people like that lady did by looking them up on Craigslist. He will gather together a few different things and ask about a flat rate price for them.

Anyway, when we have yard sales HE is the one to sit out there and deal with people. I don't bother. I take care of the kids. LOL I won't haggle with someone over the price of something I own.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

OMGoodness. I just spent my entire day off trying to get ready for my first and probably last rummage! It has been so much work. I have girls clothes premie to size 6 and boys clothes from 0-3T. Not to mention every baby item imaginable. I feel embarrassed about putting my old crap out on the driveway but I think with the amount of stuff I have I can make a killing. I think the worst part will be the people trying to talk down the price. Good for you for holding your ground. I hope I'm half that strong!

The summer has totally gotten away from us. How late do you think I can have this rummage and still have customers? We live in the midwest if that matters.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:57 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by abm234 View Post
OMGoodness. I just spent my entire day off trying to get ready for my first and probably last rummage! It has been so much work. I have girls clothes premie to size 6 and boys clothes from 0-3T. Not to mention every baby item imaginable. I feel embarrassed about putting my old crap out on the driveway but I think with the amount of stuff I have I can make a killing. I think the worst part will be the people trying to talk down the price. Good for you for holding your ground. I hope I'm half that strong!

The summer has totally gotten away from us. How late do you think I can have this rummage and still have customers? We live in the midwest if that matters.
Oh, you will do great!! The baby stuff went fast - I was shocked! As for timing... I think you can go into September and still have a crowd... it was odd this year, in my area (Northeast Wisconsin), we had very little in sales all year - and then there was a ton of sales last weekend. This summer has been off with it being so hot that I think people are looking forward to fall and cooler weather.

The bartering is the worst of it... or the people that have a pile of stuff and then ask if I would take $20 for it... well, let me add it up and then I'll let you know. My mom had brand new tablecloths... had them marked for $1.50 each and so many people came and asked if she would take 50 cents. They were still in the package and that pretty red and white checked that is still in style... when my mom said no, one lady said - "well, you know I had to ask!" Yeah... no...
Old 08-14-2012, 07:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well I think I will shoot for September then!
Old 08-14-2012, 08:44 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am so glad to see this! I HATE holding garage sales but my husband is taking a job out of state and soon, so we need to get rid of stuff before the move (rather than move it and then I say I'll go through it all because we know that never happens)

I'm dreading it but hoping it'll bring a little cash. Looking to craigslist some of the nicer items but lots of children's books, toys and clothing going up. I usually just donate the clothes but could use any extra cash in our move.

Thanks for showing me I will survive even if the sale is a pain!

Returning from a long scrapping hiatus!