Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 07-19-2010, 12:15 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm
Default What do you think is severely lacking...

In boyish kits? or what do you LOVE to see?
Old 07-19-2010, 12:19 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Well since mine are older (13 and 16) I like more mature themes like you see alot of teen girl stuff but nothing for teen boys really...or at least not as much.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 07-19-2010, 12:52 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I'd LOVE to see a more mature space-themed kit. With futuristic looking spaceships, buildings, as well as lasers, stars, comets, asteroids, planets, etc. I keep envisioning elements that use outer and inner glow effects. There's lots of little boy type space themed kits with rockets and aliens, etc. But I'm thinking about those boys who like Star Wars and are caught in the act of pretending to be a Jedi! Can you tell I have a bunch of pics that I'm waiting to scrap? Just haven't found the right kit yet...

Old 07-19-2010, 12:58 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

We have three boys and I have a terrible time finding baby kits that don't all look the same. The kit I've been using the most for baby stuff is Julie Billingsly's "Rambunctious" kit, and I'd like a baby kit that was more like that. Bright, happy colors, but not floral OR firetrucks.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:02 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

I'd love seeing more non-themed boy kits. In boy colors, with boy elements, but not necessarily themed to a specific subject. A lot like Julie's rambuctious, but in different color spectrums.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin View Post
I'd love seeing more non-themed boy kits. In boy colors, with boy elements, but not necessarily themed to a specific subject. A lot like Julie's rambuctious, but in different color spectrums.

Ditto what Darcy said. I love Rambunctious and Revolution, and have used them both for Rachel pages
Old 07-19-2010, 01:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
this
Old 07-19-2010, 01:30 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

sorry to butt in Traci!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pewtertm View Post
Ditto what Darcy said. I love Rambunctious and Revolution, and have used them both for Rachel pages
Quote:
you'll love what I have for this week then!
Old 07-19-2010, 01:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well as a mom of two girls that absolutely LOVES boy kits, it would be great if the elements and papers didn't have BOY/ GUY all over it. We're not really princessy, pinky, frilly chicks so a boyish kit with some alternatives would be super.

Last edited by Keely~B; 07-19-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

*cough*chocolate/peanut butter*cough*

hee hee.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

rambunctious is a FABULOUS kit. Something like that. What I really liked about it was that while there were stars in the kit, it wasn't ONLY stars. Sometimes I find that boy kits have one or two elements but different colors. So a bit more variety.

I agree with non themed.

BUT, I would also like some themes, maybe some legos, building.....my son is not really rough or tough so the "dirt" kits don't work for us.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

More everyday type stuff? I'd love to see like a dvd boys type kit. My kid loves movies.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:33 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keely~B View Post
Well as a mom of two girls that absolutely LOVES boy kits, it would be great if the elements and papers didn't have BOY/ GUY all over it. We're not really princessy, pinky, frilly chicks so a boyish kit with some alternatives would be super.

I LOVE keely's idea. i love, love, love the colors in boy kits but a lot of times i don't buy them because they're SO boyish. kwim?

Old 07-19-2010, 02:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I know this is off-topic but I NEED a 4-H kit. Or a 4-H paper included in a farming or country, fair-type kit or something. Our oldest dd is in her first year of 4-H and I already have tons of pics to scrap and nothing is quite right. Designers, feel free to pm me if it sounds feasible or like something you might be interested in doing.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

yes this! I am trying to do my sons NICU album (he was there 109 days and Im documenting every day he was there- OY!) and I dont want all pastel and soft colors. I like bright happy colors and bold jewel toned colors. I'd love to see a CUUUTE teddy bear, stuffed bunny but also some other fun kid toys and not necessarily baby themed like bottle and onesies. If that makes any sense at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by so blessed View Post
We have three boys and I have a terrible time finding baby kits that don't all look the same. The kit I've been using the most for baby stuff is Julie Billingsly's "Rambunctious" kit, and I'd like a baby kit that was more like that. Bright, happy colors, but not floral OR firetrucks.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:41 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Never too many boy kits Traci. There aren't enough out there. LOL!
Old 07-19-2010, 02:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

More borders or small clustered embellishments. I think back to my paper scrap days and I used to buy a lot of premade borders or border stickers to put down the side of a page for my stepsons pages. Since boy pages(tween/teen/young men) can get kind of understated and straightforward(not a lot of doodles/layered flowers/buttons, etc), those would be appreciated. Something to pull the pages together.

String is good, metal embellishments, brads(instead of buttons), border elements, paint smears, instead of glitter smears, less doodles and swirls and more geometrics for accent shapes? Halftone background splashes?
Old 07-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My vote is for more non-themed BOY kits! Being the mommy of THREE boys and one more boy on the way I NEED boy kits!!! I don't mind using a little pink and LOVE using flowers on my pages but an all pink kit is too much!! LOL I see all these adorable girly kits but my heart is set on more boyish colors with maybe a girly twist!!!
Old 07-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You know how templates always have flowers tucked in everywhere? And most kits have flowers in them? Well, we need something generic like that for boys. When I first started scrapping, I used leaves in place of flowers. I'd love to see a boy kit with different kinds of leaves, that don't look girly or fall-ish.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

My son is a reader, an artist, a scientist and loves space. He is almost 10, and not into trucks/dirt/cars at all. Most boy kits really don't work for him. It's very hard to find anything that suits any of the photos I take of him.

What I really love is NON-THEME kits, that don't have dirt in them. I like the ones with stars in place of flowers. I've used flowers on Benjamin's pages before, but I'd rather not. I like lots of string, metals, cardboard, buttons, chains, stuff like that.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
You know how templates always have flowers tucked in everywhere? And most kits have flowers in them? Well, we need something generic like that for boys. When I first started scrapping, I used leaves in place of flowers.
I agree that we need more "generic" boy kits and elements. I try not to use many flowers in my son's pages (thought I do use some), but I don't want every single boy page to be all just stars as elements either (stars seem to be the typical "boy" element in scrapbook kits). There've got to be other options for boy pages, beyond themes and stars!

ETA: LOL - I see I've said exactly the opposite thing about stars as Jamie!
Old 07-19-2010, 04:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I totally agree on the non-themed kits - I like them because my son is SUCH a boy, but he's too little to really be into a lot of the things that the theme kits are about. The one thing he IS into that I haven't seen a lot of is 4-wheelers/dirt bikes/etc. But I could even scrap those photos with a rugged, non-theme kit, too.

Boy kits = THE BEST!!!!

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 07-19-2010, 04:41 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Anything you come out with Traci I'm sure would rock!! But I have to agree with alot of girls here I would love a more "generic" boy kit and elements that would fit all my 3 boys ages from 8,2 and 1.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

Quote:

Exactly! I do use over-the-top girly kits sometimes...because Rachel has a girly side. But she can be a big tomboy too...so the boyish kits really work well if it doesn't have 'boy' literally written all over it. LOL.
(a 'tomboy' add-on for a boy kit would awesome IMO)
Old 07-19-2010, 05:34 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I really love the grungy, urban boy boys, but you just did a kit like that. The ones with metal, fences, brads, paint smears, etc.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love any boys kits! I tend to gravitate to anything with stars and metal accents.

But there are a few themed kits that I would LOVE to see.....someone mentioned a 4-h type of kit.....I would like something along those lines. I was thinking more of a farm kit that didn't have cartoony animals.....more of a rustic, shabby chic feel. I would also like to see a cool Pirate kit. My boy is ate up with it and I could always use that! Last but not least.....I really need a karate/martial arts kit.

But just so you know.......anything boyish you release will always end up in my cart!
Old 07-19-2010, 06:02 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Exuberance Irrepressible is one of my most favorite kits ever! I love the color scheme and it is my go-to kit for my youngest. Rambunctious is my go-to for my oldest son. (Because of their eye color. One has hazel the other blue)

But any boy kit from you is great!! I can never get enough boy kits!
Old 07-19-2010, 06:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love themed kits ... can't help it ...

Brothers kit ... denim (in multiple colors...and striped denim)... metal embellishments that have words embossed on them ... Overall strap with the metal piece ... brothers word art ... baseball caps ... even maybe one of those Indiana Jones hats ... flashlights ... metal necklaces my boys like to wear (instead of ribbons...can show pics for inspiration) ... tennis shoes ... belts instead of ribbons ... dog tags ... a denim and metal combination alpha. gee I think I came up with a single kit suggestion ... with a Nintendo DS, a couple of phones ... and some acronyms ... and NO FLOWERS!!!! metal arrows .... metal links ... caribiners...

ELECTRONICS!! and heat guns, soldering irons, boyish teenage type toys ... things they can make other things with ... circuits, relays, switches, breadboards, magnifying glass, etc. ... and papers to match!

I absolutely FELL IN LOVE with this one set of clusters from CHerie Shields called "borderline space junk" ... it was borders with all kinds of metal junk and it looked so cool!

I think there is never enough embellished journaling boxes ... and frames with embellishments in portrait and landscape;

I'd like some papers that have words on them (not too big) for the theme of the kit.... brothers... kid talk/slang ...

word art (not talking plain words on a strip of white paper...but embellished word art)
"forever in blue jeans" word art ... brothers word art ... maybe some boyish phrases ... siblings by birth ... friends by choice .... that sort of thing ... big brother, middle brother, little brother ...
Old 07-19-2010, 06:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I agree with the previous posters. I have a boy out of the newborn stage that I want to use boy-ish kits for, but not necessarily themed boy kits.

Just like most girl kits are based around flowers, I find a lot of boy kits are based around stars. I like stars, but I'd also like to see: leaves, stylized dots/circles, clouds, geometric shapes, papers based on letters/numbers, plaids, child-ish camo, wood grain papers (in lots of colours!), bird silhouettes (like seagulls), metal items, paint splashes, books, branches, maps, clocks,...
Old 07-19-2010, 08:41 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I ditto on the non-themed kits, with lots of elements and colors. I love the bright colors and fun background papers.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to xboxmom

I gotta list....

magnets, sunglasses, rope, wire, brads, eyelets, screws and bolts, marbles, small rocks or pebbles, erector set metal pieces, springs, stitching, pad locks and keys, crumpled and ripped papers, chewed gum smears, leaves, sticks, tags, folded flower ribbons with rivets in the middle, clips, batteries (those little watch batteries), arrows, rubber bands, paper airplanes, spit balls, staples, washers used as frames
Old 07-19-2010, 09:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Awesome list, Kim!

I'd also add: tools (wrenches, hammers, etc.), speech bubbles, frogs, sporty numbers (like on football jerserys), palm trees/surf boards, monkeys, whales, bumble bees, dragon flies, lightning bolts, fish, treasure chest, anchors, compass, boat items (life preserver, wheel, sail), hawaiian prints (in boy colors)...
Old 07-19-2010, 11:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

legos, chessmen or checkers, broken crayons, rubber bouncy balls (we have a billion of these), baseball caps, coins, cards . . .
Old 07-19-2010, 11:59 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Ditto for me to...I use alot of boy kits for my girl.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I prefer kits that are not too cutesy with just a little bit of grunge (but not skull & cross-bones grunge) maybe I should say a little distressing.

I would like to see a bunch of METAL type embellishments. Gears, nails, mesh, wire, swirls, brackets (like you use to build metal toys or houses). A variety of splatters: paint, mud, smudges. I like arrows too. I could use lots more arrows.

I like the ideas of a variety of shapes too. Circles, Diamonds, love plaids.

Strings, raffia, cords, & rope in a variety of interesting colors (some with the two tone type)

Wire would be neat too. Kinked into a varity of shapes, twired...Not just metal wire, but plastic coated metal wire.

Can't wait to see your creations!
Old 07-20-2010, 12:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

One more note:

Not Teal. I have so much teal. What I like about Rambunctious is that it is actually BLUE. A true blue. I think some greens would also be fab: forest green, moss..
Old 07-20-2010, 02:39 AM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery send pm

I would love to see a hockey theme kit...for boys and girls
Old 07-20-2010, 09:37 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Not Teal. I have so much teal. What I like about Rambunctious is that it is actually BLUE. A true blue.
Gosh, yes. I couldn't agree more.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to xboxmom

yes yes, lightening bolts and the plastic covered wires would be great!
Old 07-21-2010, 12:43 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I really, really want a karate kit
Old 07-22-2010, 10:08 PM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery send pm

Stuff to go with Star Wars and stuff like Bakugan.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:51 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I agree with a more rustic look. Shabby with that bit of a worn, ragged style. Plaids, stripes and denim, washed out colors contrasted by some darker shades of blues, reds, browns, etc. Some wooden pieces, too (like a wooden plank, maybe even broken; stars, circles, etc.) some metal would look great, too.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:54 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm
Default Space or Something Star Wars

Looking for a kit that I could use on my pages for Disneyland. My kids were both picked to be in the Jedi Training and I got a bunch of great shots

I tried searching space or stars but couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 06-29-2011, 12:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by delofamily View Post
Looking for a kit that I could use on my pages for Disneyland. My kids were both picked to be in the Jedi Training and I got a bunch of great shots

I tried searching space or stars but couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance for the help!
I hooked you up with a link in your thread you asked for it. It was actually done by Traci! (and Julie) She rocks the boys kits.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:09 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Another vote here for the non-themed kits . . . preferably something with rich jewel tones to it. And stripes and plaids (LOVE Argyle plaids) and checks on the papers and embellishments. A little metal would be nice, too. And thanks for asking for our input, Traci!

My Blog: Quantum Leaps
Old 06-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

this is going to sounds crazy but i want tags - like the manila avery tags you can buy at staples! i can't find what i'm looking for anywhere.

and i still want tied string like wrapped around and tied with a bow in a variety of lengths.

if you do a space themed kit i'd love for you to include a paper that has a star map on it.
http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/shop...?filters=_boy_

robots never enough robots

i'd like to see starbursts not just stars. and clouds

hearts work for boys too.

i love this die cut sheet from crate paper
http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/shop...?filters=_boy_

and this...cool labels
http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/shop...rase-stickers/

paint splatters that are not glittery - i looked in my paint folder on acdsee the other day and most were glittery.

bold geometric patterns - maybe a little retro?

off topic - and i really want you to do a set of stitches that are smaller squares. like 2in x 2in and 3 in x 3 in. when you shrink the big ones down they don't look right.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:31 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traci Reed View Post
In boyish kits? or what do you LOVE to see?
I haven't read the responses (so a lot of these maybe repeats) but two that I can think of right off the bat:

but I'd love an updated version of your "lego" kit!! Maybe with the smaller pieces and a more "mature" (less duplo looking and more actual lego looking for the bigger boys) color scheme and look about it!!

I'd actually like to see more designers putting flowers and leaves/foliage in their boys kits....I love putting those types of thing son my boy pages...it wouldn't have to be a ton but 1 or 2 would rock!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 06-29-2011, 12:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am a boy kit JUNKIE. I mostly like non-theme boy kits, I go for awesome color, metal, stars...
Old 06-29-2011, 12:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Celeste* View Post
this is going to sounds crazy but i want tags - like the manila avery tags you can buy at staples! i can't find what i'm looking for anywhere.

and i still want tied string like wrapped around and tied with a bow in a variety of lengths.

off topic - and i really want you to do a set of stitches that are smaller squares. like 2in x 2in and 3 in x 3 in. when you shrink the big ones down they don't look right.
what celeste said.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:37 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

LOL hello old thread.