Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 04-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default Using "place" and smart objects in PS

Ok, so I just learned about the option "place" when I want to add something to my layout and that it adds it as a smart object then.

I love the fact, that I can downsize and then still resize those. Also, that it names its layer with the file name is helpful. So I was wondering, who else is using that and do the smart objects have any disadvantages over normal layers during usual scrapping techniques?

I usually just open several possible files, look at them in tabs and then copy+pasty what seems to fit. I organise my stuff in Bridge as well, so I often open files with it.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:51 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I drag and drop from ACDSee into PS and it also places them as smart objects. I haven't had any issues with it other than remembering to click the check to make it permanent! LOL!
Old 04-29-2011, 12:41 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I only really use Smart Objects when I'm placing another file (like an Illustrator file) directly into a Photoshop file. In that case it's nice because you can make changes to the Illustrator file and they will be updated in the Photoshop file.

I haven't used Smart Objects for scrapbooking but when I went to the Kelby Photoshop Tips & Tricks seminar back in '09, I remember leaving thinking I needed to look into them because they sounded really cool - but I never did, haha. I'll be watching this thread to see if anyone has any cool tips!
Old 04-29-2011, 02:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The main reason I use smart objects is that anything you do to them is nondestructive. If you ever make a mistake or want to change the layer all you need to do is double click the thumbnail. It will open up in a new window as the last Smart Object. So that means either as the file you imported or if you are like me a Smart Object you made because you wanted to keep the layer styles and add more layer styles. Make sense?

I have had some layers that were 6 "generations" of Smart Objects. LOL!

Also, Smart Objects will not lose they quality as you resize. If you make an element as a normal layer smaller and then try to make it large again you lose quality. As a Smart Object you can resize all day long and it will be ok.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Photosho...45EF2A57a.html

http://www.elated.com/articles/photoshop-smart-objects/

I really don't use them in scrapping but most definitely use them in designing and web design. It is a time saver to save a file in Illustrator and have it automatically update in Photoshop and Dreamweaver.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Your file size is going to be much larger because it has to remember all of the pixels, vs if you copy/paste and resize then it only remembers the resized pixels. That is why you can't upsize later because it isn't remembering, just guessing.

But you can bring them in as smart objects, play around a bit with it, get it about how you want it, and then rasterize the layer and save to save space.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:23 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Yeah, I just realised it will be fine for some things. I read it up a bit and problem will be some filters and adjustments. I tend to tweak photos in the layout, when I see it assembled and then realise some parts/colours/highlights are off.

But it might be a good way to put elements in as smart objects first, saving the copy+paste time, resize to my liking and once it looks fine turn into an normal layer. Because the time saving is really tempting. Need to experiment with that.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:07 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Love the place option/naming the layers - it really helps with crediting

my blog