Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2018, 08:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Oh no, not my hard drive!

So I worked last night and before I left for work, my oldest asked if she could use my computer to finish up her homework that was due today since her laptop decided to break this weekend. I told her to switch users and use her own account, because if she screwed up my computer, it would be HER account, NOT mine.

I woke up this morning, went on my computer and guess what? It won't move. I can't do anything on my computer. I restarted it and got this screen that I wasn't sure what it meant. Sent it to my father and said, "don't tell me it's the hard drive or the motherboard". He calls me back, "I'm not going to tell you, but it's the hard drive". We had a few things to try to verify, but alas, the hard drive is GONE!!

Luckily, back in March I updated my hard drive from a 320gb drive that was running slow (can't emphasize how slow it is) which prompted the upgrade to the 1tb drive. So I plugged in my old drive and it works---VERY slowly does it work.

For now, I deal with the slowness because my father, who is my IT person, is coming out here in two weeks and hopefully we can properly fix my computer.

Tomorrow, my daughter is going in to her school and getting her 4th or 5th loaner laptop because she and computers don't play nicely. I can't let her back on my computer and ruin my last, somewhat working hard drive!!

So here is your PSA---BACK UP YOUR STASH!!!
Old 10-08-2018, 08:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

oh man. I hope you have an online backup and a physical backup. That's just scary. My EHD died this summer and I had an older backup and a current online backup and that saved me. It was a long 10.73 days while everything downloaded and synced but sooo worth it
Old 10-08-2018, 09:24 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Oh no! That is the worst! Hope you're able to get your computer fixed at the very least. I had a scare once and have been on top of backups ever since then. The fear of having lost everything is such a terrible feeling! Good luck!!
Old 10-08-2018, 09:26 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverendingJen View Post
oh man. I hope you have an online backup and a physical backup. That's just scary. My EHD died this summer and I had an older backup and a current online backup and that saved me. It was a long 10.73 days while everything downloaded and synced but sooo worth it
Luckily, I try not to keep too much personal stuff on my c-drive (the main hard drive), so I didn't lose much. I did lose all my purchases from this month (and maybe some of last month). But I can go through and see what's still active. This weekend, in between my work shift I was cleaning out my downloads folder. I just didn't get to them all so now I have to go through and see what I'm missing. It's no biggies (well it is, but I'm telling myself it could have been worse!)
Old 10-08-2018, 09:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
Luckily, I try not to keep too much personal stuff on my c-drive (the main hard drive), so I didn't lose much. I did lose all my purchases from this month (and maybe some of last month). But I can go through and see what's still active. This weekend, in between my work shift I was cleaning out my downloads folder. I just didn't get to them all so now I have to go through and see what I'm missing. It's no biggies (well it is, but I'm telling myself it could have been worse!)
Glad you didn't lose much at least
Old 10-08-2018, 09:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

That is the worst! I'm glad you have a back up plan!
Old 10-08-2018, 10:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This was a good reminder to backup! One of my EHD is acting up (it's my downloads one). But I think it's just the cord or the port thing on my laptop. Either way, I think that EHD you sent to me, will become a 2nd backup for my photos and kits!!!
Old 10-08-2018, 10:51 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Oh no!!! That sucks, Wendy!
I am just so glad that you did not have to lose much.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:19 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Oh, no! I'm sorry that happened, but I'm glad it doesn't sound like you lost anything irreplaceable. I hope your old HD can limp along for the next few weeks and your father can get it all working well.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:17 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh no Wendy that sucks. But at least you did have it backed up

Old 10-09-2018, 01:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh Wendy That is one of the worst feelings!! I'm so glad you have a backup and didn't lose anything that can't be replaced.
Thank you for the PSA... It scares me when people don't have a backup!