Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2011, 06:39 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm
Exclamation Anyone get a new Kindle yet?

I know lots of us preordered a Kindle, but has anyone gotten it yet? I just checked the tracking for my Kindle Touch (it's almost here) and I noticed that the Touch now has a couple hundred reviews and it isn't looking good. I'm thinking that 3.5 stars isn't good enough when the other versions are rated much higher. Ugh. This is my Christmas gift, so I don't get to play with it until then. I'm not sure I should chance it with the Touch now. Anyone get their Touch yet? I'm wondering if I should immediately exchange it for the Keyboard or regular Kindle. The frustrating thing with the reviews is that the newer models reviews are mixed with the older model reviews for the Keyboard. If you got a Kindle recently, what are your thoughts on it?
Old 11-21-2011, 07:46 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I got my Kindle Touch on Friday. So far I LOVE it! The screen is responsive, it's comfortable to hold and change pages on, and pages turn quickly. Some people who have older Kindles don't like the new style of page turns. Now the unit does a partial refresh every page and a full refresh (ie, the entire screen flashes black for a moment) every 6 pages. I like the partial refreshes; they're faster and I don't see any of the ghosting that some people are complaining about. I think the virtual keyboard is fantastic, much easier to use than my phone's.

My only complaint is that unless I've got a lamp or natural light shining right on the page there isn't as much contrast as I'd like. But I'm used to LCD screens where you see black on true white, and older Kindle models that I've played with in stores have the same contrast issue. I think it's just the nature of eeaders and is easily solved by using a book light when I'm not sitting in good light.

Last edited by rach3975; 11-21-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I don't have my Touch yet, but I just tracked it. Looks like it COULD be delivered as early as tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

That's disappointing about the reviews so far, but I'm still super excited to get mine. I'll post a review after i've had a chance to play with it.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I got my Fire on Thursday and I am completely and utterly in LOVE with it!!!
Old 11-21-2011, 08:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My mom has received her Touch and her Fire(just ordered the Fire on Thursday).
Old 11-21-2011, 08:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to xboxmom

We have our Fire and the kids are enjoying it. I use it mostly to stream video while I work out on my elliptical. As for reading it is back lit so it's not going to be as nice for that like the normal kindle is. But for all the awesome Apps we have on it and the movie streaming I love it!
Old 11-21-2011, 09:09 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Just my 2cents worth: I recently purchased a regular Kindle (not the touch) for my mom. I personally have a Nook Touch which I love. In trying out my mom's kindle I don't think the e ink display is a clear and contrastive as my NooK Touch. Also the back of the kindle is not as comfortable holding as the Nook, which has a more natural grasp to it. I just received a software update that made the Nook e-ink even better! The Nook touch price has now been reduced from $139 to $99.

Unless you definitely want to stay with the Kindle brand, you might check out the Nook Touch in store at a Barnes & Noble for comparison.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:34 PM

profile gallery send pm

I definitely want to stay with the Kindle brand. I've been reading on my Ipod for a couple years and have 300+ books. I'm not able to switch brands due to that.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:19 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

What sold me on Kindle vs. Nook was the text to speech. I like to listen to audiobooks while I'm scrapping and doing mindless, never-ending chores like folding laundry. But there are some books I can get from the library as Kindle but not audiobooks or that just don't have an audiobook version yet.

From reading reviews, people seem to either love or hate TTS with very little in between. I've only used it for an hour so far, but I'm impressed. It's not as good as an audiobook (no surprise there), but it's relatively accurate (mispronunciations on unusual names and the sound "hmph") and my mind adds inflection even though it isn't there in the computer generated voice.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:21 AM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

I was thinking I wanted a Touch, but I've heard some negative comments as well. I actually heard that the display was wonderful, but that the touch functions are more annoying than just pushing a button that's sitting there. I would love to be able to get my hands on one and try it out before I decide what to get.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:39 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltarbox View Post
I actually heard that the display was wonderful, but that the touch functions are more annoying than just pushing a button that's sitting there.
I've heard that complaint, but I've also heard other people say how much they like the change. Personally, I like the touch control. Page turning on a touch seems easier to me than if I had to keep my hand in a certain location to push the side button. Sometimes I hold my Kindle from the bottom and sometimes from the side/back. I have read a few books on my phone, and for someone used to reading on a phone or ipod I think the touch would be more intuitive.

I also don't think I'd have the patience to deal with the single button interface of the $79 Kindle. It would drive me nuts to type in Collection names or Kindle store searches moving around a virtual keyboard by pushing the button to move over 1 key at a time. If I couldn't have a Touch, I think I'd get the keyboard style. (And if you are interested in a keyboard version, the leaked ad shows that Target will have the 3G version for $85 on Black Friday.)
Old 11-22-2011, 01:12 AM

profile gallery send pm

Yeah. I have a Kindle 2 and I really like having the keyboard. But I read on my phone too so I'm used to having the touch screen in that situation. I guess it's just personal preference. I'll be interested in hearing what more of you say when you get yours. I probably won't be upgrading until at least the spring.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:20 PM

profile gallery send pm

Hey Libby, I got mine today. It was suppose to be delivered on the 28th, so it was way early. Hope you got yours before your trip. Please give a review!!!
Old 11-22-2011, 06:32 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

*sigh* Nope, mine didn't come today. We leave in the morning, so I just put in a hold request at the post office. At least I don't have to worry about it sitting on my porch all week. So, I'll get it Monday when we get back. Bummer!

You aren't opening yours til Christmas, right?
Old 11-22-2011, 06:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So, my biggest question is with the touch is the screen the same as the other Kindles? I LOVE the eink and want the same on the touch. I hate the back-light on others because it hurts my eyes. Sooooo, inquiring eyes want to know.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:39 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Heidi, that much I do know. LOL The Touch is e-ink and not back-lit.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby Pritchett View Post
Heidi, that much I do know. LOL The Touch is e-ink and not back-lit.
Now I think I want one!
Old 11-24-2011, 01:27 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I got my Fire last week. I have the Kindle 2 and will continue to use it for reading because I prefer the e-ink for that (not a fan of the back-lighting) and I'm not crazy about the idea of taking my Fire to the beach (and I read at the beach a lot). But I absolutely LOOOOOVE my Fire. Seriously, best $200 I think I've ever spent! It is amazing. After playing with it for a couple of days my Mom promptly ordered one for both my husband and my son for Christmas so all 3 of us will have our own. It seems like overkill, but for $200...it's worth it! Most of the other posts seem to be more about the Touch. We don't have an iPad so I don't feel like I can made a *true* comparison, but my Mom has an iPad and I feel like there's not much that the iPad can do (that I would use it for anyway - I wouldn't use it for taking photos or Facetime, for example) that the Fire can't. So for me, I couldn't justify the much higher price for an iPad. Yes, an iPad screen is larger, but it's also not as convenient to throw in my purse (or to hold in one hand). The only downside right now is that there doesn't seem to be as many educational apps available in the android market as there does in the Apple market, but I anticipate this will change in the coming months as the popularity of the Kindle Fire increases demand for apps. I'm anticipating demand will drive the market.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:47 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My mom ordered one for Landen for Christmas-I'm slightly jealous-I can't wait to play with it!
Old 11-24-2011, 02:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I bought 2 Kindle Fires. One for my dh (who has a regular Kindle keyboard already) and one for my oldest. I know they're going to love them, but I'm wanting to break open the packages and play with them. I really want to know if I should order myself one too. I have a Kindle and an iPad, but I really don't like reading on the iPad. It's not that comfortable to hold onto in bed. The backlighting on it doesn't seem to bother me much.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:04 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I totally love my 3rd generation Kindle that I got for Mother's Day in May. I LOVE!! I don't like touch screens, so I won't be getting a Kindle touch.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:03 PM

profile gallery send pm

I got to play with my niece's Kindle Touch today, and I have to say that I liked it quite a lot. I think if I replace my current Kindle 2, that's what I'll get. It was quite responses, and once I learned where the menus where, etc., I could see that I would really like it. The difference in size was noticeable (the Touch is A LOT smaller than my K2), but that surely wouldn't bother me. I'd get used to it quickly.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just got my kindle in the summer but really want the new Kindle Fire and am glad I saw this thread to see the feedback. I am going to find a way to do this for a Christmas present for me. lol!
Old 11-26-2011, 03:33 AM

profile gallery send pm

For those interested in the Touch, I just watched a video review of it and I was really excited about it. I haven't opened my package. (LOL... don't know if I can wait 'til Christmas though!) If you are interested in seeing the video review, go to the reviews and it's the second one, you'll see "customer video review".
Old 11-26-2011, 11:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to cardinalskate

I am ordering my Kindle Touch right now. I know you guys have talked about their awesome customer service...should I get the 2 year protection plan?

And do you guys use screen protectors for the Touch? Are they necessary?
Old 11-26-2011, 09:37 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalskate View Post
I am ordering my Kindle Touch right now. I know you guys have talked about their awesome customer service...should I get the 2 year protection plan?

And do you guys use screen protectors for the Touch? Are they necessary?
I don't know how easily the Touch's screen gets damaged, but I know I feel better about using a screen protector. I have one on my Touch and one on my phone.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:53 PM

profile gallery send pm

no matter which Kindle I end up with, I'll get a screen protector. I've been glad I have one on my ipod touch. I've scratched my protector before, but it's protected my screen. However, I always throw my stuff in my purse and it's the keys that scratch it. If I was smart and used a cover or case, I probably wouldn't need a screen protector.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:46 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I ordered my Kindle Touch last night . . it's supposed to arrive on 2 Dec. I am SO excited, cannot wait, its supposed to be a Christmas pressie but I dont know if I will be able to wait hahahaha. Only thing was I couldnt get a cover that they'd deliver to Australia, so I was a bit annoyed . . also, my screen protector wont arrive until 2 weeks after the Kindle!! *sigh*

Donna
Old 11-27-2011, 03:27 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I got my Kindle Fire on the 15th. Previously, I was using my phone to read on, so, this is definitely an upgrade! I have quite a Kindle library already, so going to the Nook was not an option for me. I love it so far. The only thing that I was hoping to be able to do, but cannot, is to access Comcast Xfinity site. I watch the current TV shows on my computer from my Comcast account and cannot on my Kindle. I can watch movies and TV programs that are offered through Amazon just fine. I think that if you are a Netflix customer, the B+N one may be better because you can access your Netflix account on the device.

The SSD site comes up perfectly! The galleries and the forum comes up nicely. No lag and the picture is great.

I bought it for reading, and am really happy with that. Being able to watch movies and play games (like Words with Friends, Plants vs Zombies, etc) is a bonus for me.

LOL.. and shopping on all of the Amazon site works really well --of course! I am happy with my purchase and will be buying another one for gifts(s) this Christmas.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:16 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

So, I ended up having my mail held while we were gone. And I got a text from Amazon about an hour after we left saying my new Touch was out for delivery. This was Wed. It wasn't on my porch when we got home (nor was any of the rest of my mail), so I have to assume the USPS did like I asked and held all my mail on those days. If that's the case, I *should* have it tomorrow when the mail runs.

This is turning out to be quite comical. LOL
Old 11-28-2011, 12:45 AM
Banned

profile gallery

You guys are killing me. I want one so bad but have had so many things pop up I can't justify the money right now. So I will sit here and be jealous of ya all!
Old 11-28-2011, 02:48 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Dreamer View Post
I got my Kindle Fire on the 15th. Previously, I was using my phone to read on, so, this is definitely an upgrade! I have quite a Kindle library already, so going to the Nook was not an option for me. I love it so far. The only thing that I was hoping to be able to do, but cannot, is to access Comcast Xfinity site. I watch the current TV shows on my computer from my Comcast account and cannot on my Kindle. I can watch movies and TV programs that are offered through Amazon just fine. I think that if you are a Netflix customer, the B+N one may be better because you can access your Netflix account on the device.
There's a Netflix app for the Kindle Fire and it works great! The Husband has watched a few movies on it. I also use the Hulu app on the Fire to watch a lot of TV shows (and I'm a Hulu Plus subscriber, so it's perfect). I'm not familiar with the Comcast thing, so don't know what to tell you about that. You can't access it through the web browser and just log in? You might try the Hulu app if it's just to watch TV shows. Also (and don't judge! LOL), I prefer to watch my soap from the CBS website rather than on Hulu, so I just use the web browser on the Fire to go to the CBS website and watch it from there. So far it's worked great for that. I haven't had any trouble with video or accessing any websites.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:29 PM

profile gallery send pm

I opened my Kindle box! I was seriously just going to open the brown cardboard outer box and look at the inner product box.... but there is no inner box!? That is crazy. I would think people would want/expect a regular product box, especially for gift giving, not just the product in a brown cardboard box.

Sooo... since it was totally opened, I got it out and turned it on. I like the feel of it, the weight and size. The size is pretty much exactly 1 iphone wide and 2.5 iphones long. I think the touch screen is great and handles a lot like my ipod touch. If you are an iphone or touch user, it will seem very natural. I only looked at the onboard how-to manual and thought it made a lot of sense and is very easy to use. The flash of the refresh screen was a little annoying since I am not use to that when I'm reading on my ipod touch, but I hear that I will get use to it. I'm sure that I will be happy with it. And I've watched the reviews on Amazon and it now has a solid 4 stars which makes me feel good about it too.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:37 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I just wanted to update my opinion in this thread now that I've had the Touch for about a week... I LOVE IT!!!!! Seriously, I don't know that I'll ever want to read another paper-book again. LOL It was totally easy to set up, it's very comfortable to hold, turning pages is a breeze, and overall, it just "feels" nice. I'm very very glad I went with the Touch. The navigation is super easy (though admittedly I've had a touch screen phone for years, so it doesn't feel awkward to me at all).

I really can't say enough good about it, and I'm very glad I went with this model!
Old 12-05-2011, 11:42 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

No Kindle Trouch for me but I have to say I LOVE my iPad2!!!! I got one on Black Friday at Best Buy. My dad wanted us to pick one up for my mom and I pouted that she was getting one and I wasn't (DH got an Xbox with Kinect on Black Friday to replace the one he used to have)!! It worked! DH told me to get one for myself too!!!

Last edited by kim21673; 12-05-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to cardinalskate

I've had my Kindle Touch for almost a week now, too, and I'm loving it!

I'm having problems with the special offers (it thinks I live in Minneapolis, and I can't figure out how to tell it I don't), and even though it shows the wifi signal up top, it keeps telling me to connect to wifi. I haven't had time to look into it a lot, but nonetheless, I'm loving it.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:12 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

I'm debating between the Fire and the Touch. I really want an ipad but can't justify that cost at all, and certainly not to ask someone for Christmas. But then I was thinking about how the backlighting annoys me on my iphone at night or early in the morning when the rest of the room is really dark. So while I was planning on going with the Fire, because it's more like a tablet, I think I'm going to end up asking for the Touch instead, for the e-ink.
Decisions decisions, lol.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim21673 View Post
No Kindle Trouch for me but I have to say I LOVE my iPad2!!!! I got one on Black Friday at Best Buy. My dad wanted us to pick one up for my mom and I pouted that she was getting one and I wasn't (DH got an Xbox with Kinect on Black Friday to replace the one he used to have)!! It worked! DH told me to get one for myself too!!!
Bwahahaha....totally sounds like something I would do! And I would probably get my way too. Of course, that is why I know to do it - it works.

Creating for: Krystal Hartley
Old 12-06-2011, 12:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I got my Kindle Fire a few days before Thanksgiving and am seriously in LOVE. I am not a reader so, I bought mine for internet surfing. I have watched some Netflix movies on it and it was awesome. I loved that during the Thanksgiving holidays, I could still get on and check my forums, facebook, email and twitter without having my laptop out. My family didn't feel neglected at all. I keep mine wherever I am. I even carried it upstairs to my studio the other day so I could browse Flickr while I worked on my Dec. Daily. I lay with it on the couch at night while I watch movies and check in on my fave sites. I don't know how I got along without it.

I haven't tried it yet - need to get headphones but, I can imagine it is going to be great at the gym to watch a movie on while I run.

Creating for: Krystal Hartley