Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 01-20-2020, 12:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default QOTD: Small Appliances

What's the last one you purchased? Are you happy or disappointed with it? Was it a necessary purchase or an indulgence? Is there something you have been wanting to purchase? Do you price check? Shop online? Wait for a sale?
Old 01-20-2020, 12:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have an old toaster oven. We can't even remember how old is it, I'm guessing it's at least 10 yrs old or more. It works but the door doesn't close tight so I don't use it for much except heat up a bit of leftover pizza for hubs.

So I started thinking about replacing it and told hubs about it on Friday, that it would be nice to get a toaster oven/air fryer/convection oven combo. We have an AF pod that we love, so I thought we'd get more use out of a toaster oven that also air fried. It gave him something to do on Saturday morning, he searched online for reviews, sizing (b/c our kitchen is small and it has to fit into the space where the old toaster oven sits) and pricing. When he narrowed it down, I checked the ones he found and decided on the Cuisinart. We had to drive to 3 stores to get it, it was sold out at the stores it was on sale at but we managed to find one with a beat-up box at one store. They gave us a 3 yr warranty exchange for no extra charge and a good sale price. Yay. We air fried chicken nuggets last night and they were good. They crisped up nicely with soft insides. Yum.

So I'll be using it a lot instead of the oven. Next I want a new hand mixer. I have a kitchenaid mixer and an immersion blender that detaches for a small mixer attachment but its very lightweight so no thicker mixing with that and I don't always want to pull out the big kitchenaid so I'll look around for a new mixer. They are always on sale so I'm sure I'll find a good one in the next few wks as I watch the flyers.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

IT's been ages since we purchased a small appliance. The last one would have to be the air fryer. I got it through Amazon and in exchange for a review the seller refunded the purchase price so I didn't really 'buy' it. I love it though. My teenagers use it a lot and I feel better about that than them using the stove.

We have an old 4-slot toaster that I've considered replacing for a toaster oven. One that air fries would be awesome. That would replace 2 appliances. However, I don't want something that has to sit on the counter so I'm not sure if I want one unless I can put it in a cabinet when I'm not using it.

We need a new microwave. I bought a cheap one a few years ago to take to work. It was half price on clearance and I figured it would be great to warm up things at school. Then, the week before school started our family microwave died. I started using that one and haven't bought a new one. Its small though, smaller than I wanted in the kitchen here, and it is RED and the front is glittery. Not a good look in my farmhouse kitchen, but I'm cheap and hate to buy stuff.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:41 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Right before Christmas I just purchased two new appliances... not really new, just replacement ones for the ones I wore out. They were both on sale and I had a 30% off coupon for them at Kohl's.
The first is probably my most used small appliance and that is an electric skillet aka electric frying pan. I like the bigger size and I use it for so so much! I'll be using it tonight for garlic shrimp and rice. Yum!
The other was a new hand mixer... my old one the beaters no longer stay locked in... new one is okay... but I did not realize beaters are plastic not metal. I like the metal cause I use my beaters to shred chicken all the time and I'm not sure how the plastic ones will do with that. But it works perfect for mashed potatoes, cakes and brownies.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 01-20-2020, 03:37 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

The last small appliance purchase I made was our Philips XL Airfryer. It was purchased as a replacement of our original, and now discontinued Philips XL Airfyer that we had purchased several years ago in CO. Our original airfryer was one of the many things that did not make this new move. We found it something that we could not live without as we use it several times a week. So while we fight the military on reimbursement of our damaged goods, I bought it out of pocket and through Amazon when I couldn't find it any cheaper locally.

Now I'm looking to replace our Vitamix that also didn't make the move. However this one is more of a costly replacement, so we are waiting for the military's reimbursement--whenever that might be
Old 01-20-2020, 03:40 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgal00 View Post
I have an old toaster oven. We can't even remember how old is it, I'm guessing it's at least 10 yrs old or more. It works but the door doesn't close tight so I don't use it for much except heat up a bit of leftover pizza for hubs.

So I started thinking about replacing it and told hubs about it on Friday, that it would be nice to get a toaster oven/air fryer/convection oven combo. We have an AF pod that we love, so I thought we'd get more use out of a toaster oven that also air fried. It gave him something to do on Saturday morning, he searched online for reviews, sizing (b/c our kitchen is small and it has to fit into the space where the old toaster oven sits) and pricing. When he narrowed it down, I checked the ones he found and decided on the Cuisinart. We had to drive to 3 stores to get it, it was sold out at the stores it was on sale at but we managed to find one with a beat-up box at one store. They gave us a 3 yr warranty exchange for no extra charge and a good sale price. Yay. We air fried chicken nuggets last night and they were good. They crisped up nicely with soft insides. Yum.

So I'll be using it a lot instead of the oven. Next I want a new hand mixer. I have a kitchenaid mixer and an immersion blender that detaches for a small mixer attachment but its very lightweight so no thicker mixing with that and I don't always want to pull out the big kitchenaid so I'll look around for a new mixer. They are always on sale so I'm sure I'll find a good one in the next few wks as I watch the flyers.
I'm glad you were able to get a really good one!! Thats awesome!!

My parents just recently got Emeril Lagasse's Power AirFryer 360 which works as a replacement for their toaster oven and airfryer. My mom just called me today and she was bragging about this new purchase, how much she loves it, it cooks so well and replaced her expensive toaster over that didn't make their move!

Maybe I should have looked in to this feature because our toaster over is on the fritz as well!
Old 01-20-2020, 09:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We bought our son a waffle maker for Christmas. We love the waffle maker we have here but they no longer make it so we had to find a new brand. We relied on Amazon reviews and are happy with the purchase. Waffles are a tradition among the men at our house!

We are among the few that don't have an air fryer. I don't want more appliances taking up room so I never even considered it. Do those of you that have air fryers like them and use them often?
Old 01-20-2020, 09:17 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

The last small appliance we bought is probably the same cuisinart toaster oven you're talking about. We got it about a year ago at canadian tire. It's nice and convenient to have! Total indulgence. Darcy bought it and I probably would have said no if I was there because I almost always put things back on the shelf lol
Old 01-20-2020, 09:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by icindi View Post
We bought our son a waffle maker for Christmas. We love the waffle maker we have here but they no longer make it so we had to find a new brand. We relied on Amazon reviews and are happy with the purchase. Waffles are a tradition among the men at our house!

We are among the few that don't have an air fryer. I don't want more appliances taking up room so I never even considered it. Do those of you that have air fryers like them and use them often?

We had a Fry Daddy that we got married with and used that to make chicken, fries, onion rings, bloomin' onions, etc. Then a few years ago I bought our first AF. The family was a little skeptical. But every time I'd make fries, I'd use the AF. My son's Dinosaur Chicken Nuggets were always cooked in the toaster oven until one day I put them in the AF. Now he won't eat them unless they are in the AF.

The older kids LOVE using the AF. My oldest is doing Vegan one day a week. Her vegan lunch is chickpea "chicken" sandwich which she uses the AF to make it crunchy.

How many times a week do we use the AF? Probably 4-5 times
a week. In a weekend, it's used about 5 times since that's more when I let the kids make their own lunches/dinners because we are home and can focus on the learning of using appliances, knives, etc (especially the youngest, who diced all the tomatoes for our tacos tonight).
Old 01-20-2020, 09:38 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Hmm... I guess a new stir crazy popcorn popper for my husband for Christmas. The one that we had, the bowl part cracked and needed to be replace. The one we wanted wasn't made anymore, and the current ones out there all have eh reviews... finally picked one only to open it and see that there was a open wire that would have started it on fire - lucikly my husband who is an electrical engineer saw it before it was plugged in. Was able to send it back to Amazon for a replacement, but we haven't checked to see if that one has the same problem - should get my husband on that.

Otherwise, small appliances is my husbands vice... haha. He has a brat cooker, a souve cooker, air frier, bullet blender, Instant Pot... he will hear about some new gadget and want it... and I'm trying to get of the small appliances and buying an equivalent attachment for it on my Kitchen Aid mixer like the food processor and veggie spiraller.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:48 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I think the last small appliance I purchased was our air fryer. It's been over a year now. We have a store here called Deals and Steals (or something like that) that re-sells all of the things that Costco has taken back that they can't put back on the shelves. So, my air fryer is the Gourmia that Costco has but I purchased it for a fraction of the cost. It had never been used and was still in the box.

Old 01-21-2020, 11:40 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I don't buy many small appliances. We use our coffeemaker, our built in microwave, and sometimes our toaster oven. Everything else just sits around taking up cabinet space. I've been tempted by air fryers and Instapots, but I'm afraid we'll use them for a few weeks then lose interest.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2020, 01:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think the last small appliance we bought was a 4 slice toaster. Only because our old 2 slice was old, and we have 6 kids, so needed the upgrade. Typically don't buy unless its specifially needed for something. And not really an appliance, but we bought a vaccuum sealer and a big pressure cooker for processing all those summer veggies and deer/elk meat.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:50 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

The last small appliance we bought was an electric can opener about 4 or 5 years ago. We had wanted to replace our old one, but they didn't make it anymore. It's a bit of a disappointment because it is not as sturdy as our old one.

We do not have an air fryer. I'm not sure if I even want one. I'd much rather have an Instant Pot, but I need to make room for it; I have a small kitchen with not much counter space.