Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2009, 09:47 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default Can I hear from girls with thyroid issues?

OKay, so I haven't been around for a while. I've been feeling like crap, and just haven't been at the computer... but I think my thyroid issues are getting worse. Six months ago I was diagnosed with hypothyroism, and given some meds the endocrinologist thought would help. Things got great right away, I suddenly had energy, I felt myself again, I got back into my normal sized jeans (which is all I really dreamed of), my hair stopped falling out, periods returned to a normal, etc. etc. BUT now eating smallish two meals a day and a piece of fruit for lunch I'm gaining a steady 2-3 lbs a week now, I'm bloated all over, have NO energy and am very very irritable. All this was what I was like before I went on medication. They've uped my dosage twice. Each time it's fine for about a month, then I decline again. My symptoms are noticeable. Right now periods are going on 10 days, and HEAVY. I feel awful all the time. I have another appointment with my doctor next month (the earliest, apparently, I could get in...GRRR).

Anyone else who's suffered thyroid issues, is this weird? What was your story like? How did you cope? I feel like an elephant right now and so down that I don't want to talk to anyone IRL at all...

My Etsy Shop
Proud to be creating for :
Old 05-29-2009, 10:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Welcome to the club that none of us wanted to join.

I have hypothyroid as well, specifically Hashimoto's Disease. I was diagnosed in September of last year. I just had an appointment with my endo. I had gained 7 lbs. The part that PISSES me off. I'm doing 20-30 min of cardio everyday AND about 10-15 minutes of yoga. He's tried a few different medication combos on me.

I was taking just 112 mg Synthryoid
112 mcg Synthroid and 50 mcg Cytomel (2 times per day)
and now
150 mcg Syntroid and 50 mcg Cytomel (1 per day)

I do like my doctor. I have visits every 4-7 weeks, including full blood work. Thyroid disease is so touchy and finding the perfect combination is not easy. With my disease, I will NEVER have the perfect combo until my thyroid dies completely.

Let's talk about my biggest problem right now... insomnia. I haven't been able to go to bed before midnight for about a week. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to get up at 5 am.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:01 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I also was going to add...

yeah, I'm really bloated too. I brought my concern to my doctor. He said that hopefully the meds will take care of it.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:05 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

*raises hand*

Just let me say have hope b/c when I was first diagnosed it probably took a gooooood 6-7 months before I had a regulated dosage. I was also opposite..I was hyper not hypo and couldn't GAIN weight (wow wish i had that problem NOW lol)

anyways, I ended up having RAI on my thyroid to kill it then put on Synthroid then later Unithroid (not synthetic like synthroid)

I just had my dosage changed less than a year ago too...my last pregnancy really screwed with my hormones. It's terrible when we don't feel well..blah nobody understand that kind of tired

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 05-29-2009, 11:06 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I was told Hashimoto's for me too. I was on .1mg Eltroxin and now .12 Synthroid. I was seeing an endocrynologist but she transfered care back to my family doctor unless there is a problem... I have to go for blood work again soon ( I was supposed to go sometime last week, drop in, but I just didn't get there - it's across the city and I have two little little kids). GAHH! I just feel so inhuman right now and wish that everything was normal! Thanks for helping me feel not so alone...

My Etsy Shop
Proud to be creating for :
Old 05-29-2009, 12:02 PM
Banned

profile gallery

I'm with Meghan. I had the same thing done. The first year, it took a year to get it on the right level. I actually get it checked, at least, twice a year. Most doctors check it once a year but mine is always changing it seems like. My doctor told me it takes about 4-8 weeks to notice a difference with the meds. Actually, I'm getting mine checked tomorrow. Good luck!
Old 05-30-2009, 10:17 AM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

I had Graves Disease (hyperthyroid) and had my thyroid removed exactly one year ago today. I can't tell you how much better I have felt since my surgery! It's amazing how much that little thyroid gland can affect your whole body. So, I'm hypothyroid now. I'm taking 137 mcg of Synthroid. But, during my pregnancy, my dose was higher and it changed a few times. I am lucky to have a wonderful endocrinologist who really keeps track of my levels and talks to me like a human being and answers all my questions. I think this is the MOST important part of treating these issues, and really any medical problems. Make sure your doctor is listening to your concerns and not talking down to you. If he/she can't or won't answer your questions, find a new doctor who will.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:26 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltarbox View Post
I think this is the MOST important part of treating these issues, and really any medical problems. Make sure your doctor is listening to your concerns and not talking down to you. If he/she can't or won't answer your questions, find a new doctor who will.
I definitely agree with that!!

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 05-30-2009, 11:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I really like my doctor and LOVE the fact that my blood in being monitored every few weeks. Good doctors are sooo important.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:35 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

well I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism today. I kinda had a feeling that I had something going on in that department because I have really super heavy periods, Im tired all the time, freezing cold when everyone else feels fine and while I was always really thin after getting preggo I just ballooned up and though I mostly watch what I eat I cant seem to lose weight. The dr I am seeing ordered like half a dozen tests. I assume to see what exactly is going on? I didnt have much of a chance to talk to him today because I had my son with me for his appointment. I go back in a month though so we shall see. Is there anything I should expect when I start this medicine?

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 09-29-2009, 10:50 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica31876 View Post
well I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism today. I kinda had a feeling that I had something going on in that department because I have really super heavy periods, Im tired all the time, freezing cold when everyone else feels fine and while I was always really thin after getting preggo I just ballooned up and though I mostly watch what I eat I cant seem to lose weight. The dr I am seeing ordered like half a dozen tests. I assume to see what exactly is going on? I didnt have much of a chance to talk to him today because I had my son with me for his appointment. I go back in a month though so we shall see. Is there anything I should expect when I start this medicine?
I'd be prepared for the highs/lows of tiredness, feeling great, etc...it will probably take time to get a stable dosage of meds for your imbalance so don't expect a sudden miracle to feeling better. I will say though once your dosage is stabilized you will feel fantastic! What kind of symptoms were you having?

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 09-29-2009, 10:55 PM

profile gallery send pm

What Meghan said.

You won't really have side effects from the medication itself because it's just replacing something that your body normally produces. But, until you find the right level, you may experience a little weirdness. When I was hyper, I had shaking hands, hot flashes, and extreme irritability. Supposedly, you lose weight when you're hyper, but I didn't have that particular symptom (much to my disappointment). But, yes, once you get your medication at the right level, you will feel SO MUCH BETTER!

Good luck!

Old 09-29-2009, 11:21 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Im really tired all the time, have heavy periods that sometimes last like 10 days or so, my hair is really dry and so is my skin, lately Ive been losing alot of hair when I wash it, irritablilty, and muscle aches (reading a list of common symptoms on webmd those are the ones I have). It was just a routine test that my doctor ordered...checked my cholesterol, blood counts, sugar level and the thyroid and that test came back abnormal.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

{{HUGS}}

and HOLY CRAP, i think i'm right there w/ you guys! I've had a mysterious illness since February, which the doctor couldn't explain, but assumed it might be fibromyalsia. I don't think she ever tested my thyroid though and i'm calling tomorrow!

hope you're feeling "normal" soon!

xoxooxo

(aka L. Reid)

Old 09-29-2009, 11:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am still waiting for the feel better part.

I just started on Synthroid this summer and am going in for another blood draw soon. So far I have only lost about 7 pounds and am stuck. Yes, I am dieting and exercising. It is so frustrating. I do not have periods anymore or at least not on a regular schedule. The insomnia comes in waves. I am miserable. I have other medical conditions that are because of being overweight yet my body will not drop the pounds.

Anyways I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

I don't have a complaint about the meds (other than they aren't working for me yet) except for the waiting an hour to eat. That kills me in the morning.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:32 PM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery

I'm there with you all. But, my levels are barely off, a little low . I'm taking Synthroyid(sp) 25MCG. it's not helping with the weight I put on, or the always tired, get up & half an hour later I'm ready for a 9 hour nap again.
I constantly feel crappy and I'm very moody.
BARELY sleep at night, I'm so tired, but I have a very hard time sleeping!
Especially on the days I gotta be at work by 6am. I dont sleep the night before. just toss & turn.
I hate being this way. I should be a happy cheer-y person, not the grouch! lol
I dont' eat right away in the mornings, I can't. Never have been able to so that part of taking the meds doesn't bother me. just everything else
I'm gonna have to get in again and have her recheck my levels.

I knew this was a "common" thing... but ugh! I'm just glad to know I'm not alone in this!

Last edited by Debbs; 09-29-2009 at 11:35 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:33 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Have they adjusted your dose at all Amanda? I think it took me about 5 tries before my dr found a good dose for me.

do you eat carbs? (i know right? lol) I stopped eating white carbs for awhile and it kinda kicked my metabolism in gear. (i do eat them now though lol)

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 09-29-2009, 11:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

LOL Lauren! I have fibromyalgia and am just trying to come to terms with it after being diagnosed 3 months ago. Not fun! Not fun at all!

I do have a history (a long one) with thyroid issues. Had hyperthyroidism 10 years ago so put on meds. Endo decided to do RIA...took me off meds for a few weeks before we did procedure......thyroid leveled out to normal like magic......so, got thyroid checked every 6 months for 9 years. No issues...until last November (2008) I noticed a golf ball size knot on my throat...how I missed it til it grew that size who knows....??? Anywho, ran tests to check thyroid levels and they are all normal, had a biopsy done on neck, non-cancerous. So, now I just wait. Wait for a change. Change in voice, throat pain, blood tests to change, or until it changes in size. In the meantime....I have a golf ball size thyroid goiter on my neck. I have some pics if anyone wants to see. It's kind of creepy.

Creating for: Krystal Hartley
Old 09-29-2009, 11:40 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I had RAI too Neenee but mine didn't level out..hence the life with man made hormones now

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 09-29-2009, 11:50 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

oh on top of the thyroid stuff today I had my doctor check to see if I had a UTI (was kinda praying that would be all it was) but nope it wasnt that. So now if the pain I am having towards my right kidney does not go away I have to go in for a sonogram because the doctor thinks I might have a kidney stone. Blah

Old 09-29-2009, 11:50 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Well, add me to the list of people that have hypothyroidism. I was diagnosed in June 2008, after my grandmother said my neck looked swollen. My doc has been playing with my dosage for a while and I am now at 100 mcg of Levothroid for about 2 months. I have a lot of the same symptoms as the rest of you weight gain (belly especially), dry skin, hair loss, tired but absolutely can't sleep. I just had an ultrasound to check the size of my neck and blood work on Friday so hopefully, it all works out. Lindy, I hope you can get some help and just feel better.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:13 AM

profile gallery send pm

I need something to kick my metabolism in gear for sure! My thyroid levels are still a little out of whack since I had my baby in April. I lost about 20 lbs. really quickly after the baby came, but I'm stuck now - can't lose a pound for the life of me. I go for another blood draw in about a month, and we may adjust my dose again. It can be frustrating to figure out the right dose, but I know I'll get there eventually.

Good luck to all of you ladies who are dealing with this. I keep hearing of more and more people who are struggling with thyroid issues. It really does affect so many areas of your life. Everyone keep on keepin' on! (((HUGS)))

Old 09-30-2009, 09:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by neenee View Post
until last November (2008) I noticed a golf ball size knot on my throat...how I missed it til it grew that size who knows....??? Anywho, ran tests to check thyroid levels and they are all normal, had a biopsy done on neck, non-cancerous. So, now I just wait. Wait for a change. Change in voice, throat pain, blood tests to change, or until it changes in size. In the meantime....I have a golf ball size thyroid goiter on my neck. I have some pics if anyone wants to see. It's kind of creepy.
I so know how you feel ... I had a goiter show up on my neck while I was preggo 5 years ago (how I didn't notice it until almost the end of my pregnancy I will blame on being overweight. lol), doctor said it was hormonal and would go away. Yeah, it didn't. Quinten was 1 before I had it removed ... it was pre-cancerous cells and kept getting bigger, to the point that I would choke if I leaned back at all, and it started to cut off my air supply while I was relaxed and sleeping.
Definitely keep an eye on the size, and if you notice any weirdness.
I have lucked out, when they removed the goiter, they also removed my right gland, and I haven't had any issues with my levels. Haven't needed any meds yet, and it's been just over 3 years. I get my levels checked once a year though, and will have to for the rest of my life.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:01 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlirtatiousBrat View Post
Have they adjusted your dose at all Amanda? I think it took me about 5 tries before my dr found a good dose for me.

do you eat carbs? (i know right? lol) I stopped eating white carbs for awhile and it kinda kicked my metabolism in gear. (i do eat them now though lol)
They have not adjusted my dose yet since I just started on it. But I have a feeling they will soon. They also put me on a pseudoephedrine to help kick start my metabolism. That helped but you can only be on it for a certain amount of time.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:22 AM

profile gallery send pm

Just thought I would share this link with all of you: http://community.babycenter.com/grou...ssues_concerns

This is a forum on Babycenter.com all about thyroid issues. The gals there are very knowledgeable and you might find some info that you didn't know about before. They are a very helpful group of ladies.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:18 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I'm in the hypo club too. I was diagnosed by my gyno in 2005 after going 6 months+ without a period. I had a goiter too. I ramped up to 75 mcg synthroid and my numbers have been in check since. The initial highs I got with the synthroid definitely diminished after after awhile. Still have thinning hair and trouble losing weight. In 2007, I was diagnosed with PCOS and PMDD as well. I really enjoyed being on Yaz - it took the edge off my moods and made sure I had a regular period. I'm off bc now and I'm not enjoying the return of many side effects.

You might talk to your doctor about PCOS given your history of period problems. Its symptoms can mimic some of those of hypo.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to xboxmom

I was just in at the OB last month and I had her run some tests pap was normal, but my blood work came back with some high numbers on my TSH they didn't give me the number but told me they wanted me to come back in for a Recheck in 2 months. So here I sit not knowing what is going on and having many of the same symptoms that you are all describing. Sucks. Sept is over and I missed my period (not pregnant I have an IUD) had a period in Aug., 2 in July and missed it in june. Such a roller coaster ride.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

hugs! i had no clue this was so common!

i called my dr. today and had blood drawn, so i go back Monday afternoon to see if anything came up. not that you want to have anything wrong... it would be nice to at least know what the heck is actually going on ya know?

my DH said that clearly SCRAPPING was causing this!!! bwahhahaha

oh he is EVIL!

oox

(aka L. Reid)