Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 07-05-2020, 04:35 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm
Angry Now 2020 is officially the worst year ever

First COVID. Then murder hornets. Then Saharan sand storms. Then literally everything else because so much weird stuff has happened this year I've honestly lost track.

Then tonight my 13 year old son and I both narrowly escape death by firework in the most literal way possible. At the very least, SERIOUS injury. I'm not much for shooting off fireworks but my husband likes to so we buy a few every year. The last couple years we've done one of the cheaper and smaller artillery shell types (the pretty display ones, that shoot up in the air) to end the evening. This year was no different. Mid-shot, the thing tips over by itself. Facing me and my son. I'm taking video of the pretty stuff, so I'm not paying attention until my husband starts screaming at me. Balls of fire and explosives and death shooting straight for the two of us. Chaos. Panic. Fear. The only reason I know exactly how close it got to my face is...my field of vision went bright, and I felt the heat on the right side of my face as it flew past. Luckily it didn't get either of us, but we came way too close.

And just so everyone knows, you all know the Fight, Flight, and Freeze thing, but apparently there's a fourth option - Collapse. I was sitting on the porch, so we went scrambling into the house. Well, my son did...my legs decided to literally stop working, so I had to crawl into the door. I tried to stand up twice, but yeah my legs weren't having any of that.

Of course my husband and I both have an incredibly sardonic sense of humor, so once we were assured all was okay my husband said, "Go ask your Sweet Shoppe pals for suggestions on which kit to use to scrapbook your 'The Day I Escaped Death' page." All I have to say is...he's SO very lucky I like him so much.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:20 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Whoa, so glad you weren't hurt!! That was a lucky escape. Good on hubby to think of scrapbooking straight away

You could use any 4th of July kit, but I think this would work great:

Old 07-05-2020, 06:24 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

These would work for crazy 2020 pages

The bundle is here: https://www.sweetshoppedesigns.com/s...32&cat=&page=3

Last edited by jacinda; 07-05-2020 at 06:27 AM.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:28 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Wow! I'm just glad everyone is ok!

Old 07-05-2020, 06:42 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Oh wow I'm glad you and you son didn't;t get hurt, I know how it feels we had the same thing happening to us last New Years eve. the thing was pointing to us and the door opening of the house. We didn't;t burned ourselves, but some of our clothes did...

It is so scary to experience something like this...
Old 07-05-2020, 07:28 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

And stuff like this is why I cringe every time my hubby says, "Let's but fireworks". My worst fear is setting the neighborhood on fire now I have to worry about setting us on fire too. Glad y'all are safe.
Old 07-05-2020, 07:55 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

OMG! That sounds so scary! I am so so glad that you are all safe and managed to escape it.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:52 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So thankful you're ok!!! How scary! Love your husband's sense of humor to choose a kit to scrap about it! Hugs!!
Old 07-05-2020, 06:16 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Oh my gosh!! So scary!! Thank goodness ya'll are okay!!!!

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 07-05-2020, 06:26 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Thank you all. We are all okay, not even a scratch on us, other than a little emotional trauma. Our house has an unfortunate scorch mark LOL. If the weather cooperates I'm going to grab a photo of that today to do the scrapbook page - because our 2020 book would just not be complete if this weren't sandwiched right between all the pandemic pages and whatever else is laying in wait for us.

Quote:
And stuff like this is why I cringe every time my hubby says, "Let's but fireworks". My worst fear is setting the neighborhood on fire now I have to worry about setting us on fire too. Glad y'all are safe.
SAME. In fact if it were up to me we wouldn't buy fireworks, but I have tried to loosen up the last several years and let them have some fun because I know I'm usually OVERcautious. After last night my husband says it's pretty much just fountains for us from now on, but we'll see how we feel next year. I know we won't be doing the kind that backfired on us again, we will just enjoy the city's firework display!

Funny/not funny addendum to the story - my online bestie says the same thing happened to her last night, not quite as bad but a stray firework flew under her car and toward her and her mom where they were sheltering away from mosquitoes. I told her I'm going to start building our underground bunker because 2020 is trying to kill us all.

Another funny/not funny. Earlier in our evening, before this big firework mishap even happened, of one those bloom fireworks - the ones that fly up in the air - went AWOL and flew straight at the back of my son's head as he was walking away. It was nuts, it flew dead at the back of his head and freaked us all out. I should have taken that as my omen!
Old 07-05-2020, 06:28 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Jacinda, I actually bought Had A Bad Day a couple weeks ago, thinking I would use it for something else (that didn't quite work out as well as it did in my head). And wouldn't you know it, that was the first kit that went through my head when I thought I would actually scrap this. And this was an absolutely TERRIBLE weekend even before this happened, it's definitely fitting!
Old 07-05-2020, 06:57 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

so relieved you are all okay and can, almost, see the 'funny' side of this. must've been scary as all.

will look out for your layout recording this
Old 07-05-2020, 08:01 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

wow! Insane! So glad you're ok!!
Old 07-05-2020, 08:22 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I'm actually getting ready to sit down and enjoy some scrapping right now. Not sure I'll work on this one just yet because I have some other ones I'm hoping to get to. But I might just have to later tonight.

I had my husband take a picture of the house's battle scar so I could use that for the scrapbook page. So if anyone is curious...

Old 07-09-2020, 03:45 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh wow! That is so scary!! I'm so glad you're okay.
There are fireworks stores here that sell those types, but you have to sign a paper that says you won't light them off in the state. LOL! What do they think people are going to do with them? Of course, we got to enjoy all the "illegal" fireworks in the air.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:30 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

The hits just keep coming. My ex-boyfriend messages me on Facebook today out of the blue. This guy was my first boyfriend I ever had and we were great friends all through high school, so he has a very special place in my heart that no one else does, I love him in a very different way than any other friend/ex. I expected a lighthearted "haven't talked to you in a while, what's up" conversation. Instead he tells me he has brain cancer. I'm shattered right now.
Old 07-10-2020, 01:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm so sorry!
Old 07-10-2020, 02:47 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

We had one go shooting straight at one of the kids this year after he light it, too. It was also very close to three adults. Then it hit the metal garage door and was like the loudest noise ever.

We also put out a legit fire that night. One of our neighbor's that we do not know, light all their stuff and then just put it all in a cardboard box and left it. No watering it down or anything. It was a few feet high and right next to their plastic mailbox when I said, there's a fire. My husband and a neighbor kicked it over and started stomping on it while I banged on their door screaming that they had a fire and we needed water. When they finally came out with a small bucket of water, they acted like it was no big deal. Ugh.