Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2011, 11:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Scrapbook BUDGET

So it's been brought to my attention that my spending on digital goodies over the past 2 months has been a little excessive...somewhere along the lines of close to $900. But that's not all on kits, I purchased a few action sets and whatnot and as a rule, I don't spend that much. But for January/February...yah, I'm in a wee bit of trouble. It was mindless and thoughtless and I never even tallied up what I was spending.

DH has asked what I feel would be a reasonable "scrapbooking" budget, per month. I told him that I'd think on it and get back to him.

Do you have some sort of a scrapbooking budget? What is it? What's reasonable?
Old 03-07-2011, 11:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm pretty good at keeping my digi purchases to around $75/month.

My problem is the photography hobby I picked up because of digi scrapping, where actions, software, lenses, camera bags, misc equipment all add up really fast!

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 03-07-2011, 11:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

omg, my dh would just curl up and die if I spent that much, lol! for buying kits I let myself spend about $20 every other month IF I earn at least 30% through Sweet Rewards.

What he DOESN'T know is that I'm putting all my 2010 layouts into a Shutterfly book and he's going to see a pretty good addition to our credit card bill soon
Old 03-07-2011, 11:49 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

ooohhh... I went through the sticker shock with hubby last year... He was giving me a budget of $200 a month (that to include printing, software upgrades, camera equipment)... and I did so good... only spent $45!!! lately hubby hasn't moved money into my paypal... has forgotten... but I try to be good since I have added Kiddo's swimming and art class to the family budget. I try to spend a max of $35 for Sweet Rewards... and then give me $20 or so for other places during the month... and then I just ask for forgiveness after I send my layouts to printing...
Old 03-07-2011, 11:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Mine is, um, like $5-10/month. And that doesn't come out of our family budget; it's from whatever I make doing QPs and other odd jobs.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
and then I just ask for forgiveness after I send my layouts to printing...
Oh I love it!

Yes well you to take in to account the costs for printing as well and I feel that that should be above and beyond the "budget". I've got quite the collections of PS actions, so I should be good in that dept. for at least a while. I am sensing the need for a software upgrade real soon, as my CS3 seems to be lagging on Windows 7.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Whenever dh gets annoyed by a purchase I just remind him how much I used to spend when I PAPER scrapped
Old 03-07-2011, 12:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't really have a budget so I actually just went and looked. lol This is the only place I buy from with the exception of picking up the digi files now and then and it looks like I've averaged about $45/month for the last three months. I would have guessed between $50 and $75 so I was overestimating a bit. That doesn't include printing costs though . . . we'll not even go there.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I have $100 a month to spend as I please. $18 goes to audible.com for a two book a month membership plan. The remaining $82 gets divided between hobbies - digi scrap stuff, photography stuff, Kindle books and yarn. I spend about $25 a month on digi stuff most months. If I decide to get things printed that doubles, but I only print about twice a year.

I used to spend $75 or so a month but about 18 months ago I did a big purge of my scrap stuff & realized I was just buying to buy, not to use & really, I can't afford to keep doing that, so I changed my ways.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey42 View Post
I have $100 a month to spend as I please. $18 goes to audible.com for a two book a month membership plan. The remaining $82 gets divided between hobbies - digi scrap stuff, photography stuff, Kindle books and yarn. I spend about $25 a month on digi stuff most months. If I decide to get things printed that doubles, but I only print about twice a year.

I used to spend $75 or so a month but about 18 months ago I did a big purge of my scrap stuff & realized I was just buying to buy, not to use & really, I can't afford to keep doing that, so I changed my ways.
This is a good idea. I might have to increase that a bit, but I don't think that's unreasonable. And I'm sure if I cut down buying, just to buy, this would help as well.

No more PS actions. That really nailed me.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:19 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I don't have a budget but depending on the week I ususally spend around 20-30. But some weeks I don't buy anything or only a few things.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey42 View Post

That is a realllly great idea. I usually take about $20 a week out in cash to keep in my wallet for misc stuff, like coffee, snacks, a book. Never thought of a scrapbooking budget. duh.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:12 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

I don't have a budget but I also only buy if I earned 40% off on challenges. Also this year I implemented the rule that I have to use x amount of kits in my "unused" folder before I can buy and then when I do buy I have to use 50% of that purchase before I can buy again.

Last year I would spend any where from $20 to $30 dollars on a SR purchase and that was only about 6 to 8 times a year. So the last 3 or 4 years I spend between $175 to $200 dollars.

I'm acutally really frugal (ie: CHEAP) and I can curb my spending really well so I don't worry much what I buy...I know that I will eventually use it. I'd probably have a heart attack and keel over if I realized I spend $900.

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 03-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I need a budget...This year I have made it a goal to scrap with the kits in my "to be used" folder before I buy any more kits...I've been pretty good so far with the exception of one or two kits/templates...Like Stacey I would buy kits just to buy and never use them...Such a waste of money...
Old 03-07-2011, 01:22 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I try to keep it to under $50/month. I feel that's reasonable.

SAHM to three girls (17,12,8) and two (very) spoiled mutts!

5 year breast cancer survivor

Words With Friends user ID: kpnv70

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/Scrapper007/

Last edited by Scrapper007; 03-07-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgal View Post
Whenever dh gets annoyed by a purchase I just remind him how much I used to spend when I PAPER scrapped

SAHM to three girls (17,12,8) and two (very) spoiled mutts!

5 year breast cancer survivor

Words With Friends user ID: kpnv70

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/Scrapper007/
Old 03-07-2011, 02:02 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgal View Post
Oh, isn't that truth!
Old 03-07-2011, 02:07 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I keep my budget around $20 a week....so not bad, but I can go higher if I want to. I have around $400 to spend on me each month, but I also need to do other things for that money...
Old 03-07-2011, 02:11 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

What does this word "budget" mean?
Old 03-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfiemountiewife View Post
LOL that's me too!

Old 03-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

I spend around $40-$50 a month... usually less.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

budget is swear word and shouldn't be allowed in this forum
Old 03-07-2011, 03:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

I generally spend $20-$25 a month, and that's at SR time. If our budget is tight then even less.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfiemountiewife View Post
My thought EXACTLY!

We don't have a personal "budget" so-to-speak, but 400/month on digital stuff alone is a little excessive (I guess). LOL We'll I think I'll shoot for $100/month and then when it's less, he'll be really happy!
Old 03-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I am so going to have my husband read this thread! That way he will know I am not alone in my scrapbook spending habits, and compared to some even a little thrifty. I don't have a set budget but I think I probably spend in the neighborhood of $20-$40 a month.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Wow. Yea...the Scrap Purchase 12 Step=what pushed me away for a while. Then I realized, you can't unlove. Lol. So I learned to appreciate my scraps. I'm working on tending to that mess. Lol. Not sure if I'm emotionally ready for a purge. o_O I firmly believe I'm only ACDSee away from more effectively taming the wild vines that have become my collection. This doggy learned new tricks. Bookmarking for instance helps soothe the burning desire to buy. I also review now to myself what I actually can do with it or is it just adorable factor...trust me. It's still not easy. I hadn't bought in a bit and had saved 60 in PayPal. I don't regret it but lol...it was much akin to binging after a diet. 60 doesn't compare though to what I used to spend. Some weeks 60-80 while others 150 to a cart. (the bad thing is...it's very possible there's a cart out there I never made it around to downloading. Not even joking. I wouldn't remember if it were...because I've had moments where I went to use a kit...only to find it not there...and dismissed the matter like "Oh, must have meant to buy it...". There's this LaG kit I love called 'Not What I Expected' that I keep doing this exact game with myself on. Lol. I'm so fixated on it, adore it and love it...and yet...I keep somehow forgetting to buy it and I don't know how. I think I keep passing it up thinking I already did buy it...because duh why wouldn't I when it's so cute? You know the feeling? Lol. But yea...I'm doing much better with buying. I've learned that Sweet Shoppe isn't the "problem", my old spending habits were. Lol. I do though firmly believe that SSD is very cruel with their siren-like pocket calls. Lol. There are so many stores I love...but...Sweet Shoppe has this...charismatic like draw to each of their kits. Has anyone's EHD hit glow point yet? So much SSD magic it sparkles and levitates? o_O Swear it feels I'm just one more away...lmbo.

Anywho, in my case, I'm secretly playing the ADD card on myself. Bookmarking it and promising myself, "later". I can be so naive sometimes! Too easy! Lol. :P
Old 03-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I do our budget not my husband but I purchase only if I think we can afford it. Sometimes its nothing a month sometimes it 20 a week (but usuallly not more then 20). My husband though never says anything about what I spend. Probably because he has no clue what the bills are and partially because our bills are so low (no credit cards, car payment or mortgage)

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 03-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica31876 View Post
I do our budget not my husband but I purchase only if I think we can afford it. Sometimes its nothing a month sometimes it 20 a week (but usuallly not more then 20). My husband though never says anything about what I spend. Probably because he has no clue what the bills are and partially because our bills are so low (no credit cards, car payment or mortgage)
Well it was me that passed off this crumby job on to my husband. So darnit, now he knows. LOL
Old 03-07-2011, 04:04 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboutique View Post
Well it was me that passed off this crumby job on to my husband. So darnit, now he knows. LOL
Simple solution. ROFL. TAKE responsibility . Lol. And I don't mean that condescendingly. (LMTO. (my new turn of phrase...I no longer have enough butt to laugh off anymore...and my tits could stand to lose some. Now thinking about it maybe I'll laugh some tummy off too... Lol.) (And maybe I should clean my room more often if I'm gonna keep rolling on the floor...)
Old 03-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I usually stick to $35USD a month which is about $50NZD

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 03-07-2011, 04:49 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I spend $25-$30 per month. Occasionally I go over the budget, but not by much and rarely.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I don't really have a budget...I try to keep it at a new kit or two during the week and then spend around $40-50 at SR time. Sometime I spend more on new releases other times I don't spend anything. It just depends if there are lots of boy kits that week. I usually buy the boy kits and wishlist other kits that might not be as boyish but ones I could use.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:52 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

$900 sounds reasonable to me
LOL!! I just got 200 layouts printed so mine was up there last month too. Oops!!!!!
Old 03-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My budget is $25 a month unless there is a really good sale then hubs will usually let me spend another $30-$40 depending on the sale & if we have the money. Otherwise I do surverys to get money to purchase kits.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

$15 to $25 a month, and I rarely hit that amount. printing is a separate budget, I get $150 a year for that, so I watch my sales, lol
Old 03-07-2011, 06:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My budget is $30/month, and i keep track of all of my expenses in a little notebook. I then check them off as I use them, and since I've started writing them down, I pretty much use everything I buy AND rarely go over my budget.

I also put $20/month back for printing, because that is about how many layouts I make each month. This way when Scrapping Simply or Persnickety has a sale, I have the money ready to print my layouts.

Realistically, are you ever going to be able to use $900 worth of supplies if you keep adding to it the rest of the year??? That was one thing that moved me to start sticking to a budget, thinking reasonably about my ability to use the stuff I was buying.

Of course you could also justify your purchases since you are supporting women working out of the home...
Old 03-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't have a budget, but I'm starting to realize how quickly things can add up! I'm really just getting into scrapping digitally, so I don't have that many kits - many 20 or 25 total? My one saving grace is that I don't buy anything unless I have a plan for using it. I'm hoping to start participating in the monthly portfolio soon... I know that will help, too.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
My budget is $30/month, and i keep track of all of my expenses in a little notebook. I then check them off as I use them, and since I've started writing them down, I pretty much use everything I buy AND rarely go over my budget.

I also put $20/month back for printing, because that is about how many layouts I make each month. This way when Scrapping Simply or Persnickety has a sale, I have the money ready to print my layouts.

Realistically, are you ever going to be able to use $900 worth of supplies if you keep adding to it the rest of the year??? That was one thing that moved me to start sticking to a budget, thinking reasonably about my ability to use the stuff I was buying.

Of course you could also justify your purchases since you are supporting women working out of the home...
Yes, listen to Kellie, she has sound advice!!! She can guilt....err I mean encourage anyone to mind their p's & q's!!!

(Pssst...I'm at 22 kits used so far this year plus I've used every single product I've purchased from both "shopping trips" this year!!! Aren't ya proud of me!!!! )

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 03-07-2011, 06:48 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummytothree View Post
(Pssst...I'm at 22 kits used so far this year plus I've used every single product I've purchased from both "shopping trips" this year!!! Aren't ya proud of me!!!! )
THAT IS SO AWESOME! I am VERY proud! Doesn't it feel good???
Old 03-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My budget is whatever I earn selling the previous month. So it can be anything from $20 a month to $75. I generally don't buy much. I am blessed with some great CT gigis that help support my habit.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My budget is about $30 a month. It's enough that I can buy any new releases I really want and some things at SR time, but low enough that I don't buy anything I won't truly use. My monthly budget comes out of "my" bank account, which is funded by birthday money and other cash gifts I get throughout the year. Because of that, I feel no guilt charging ink, printing, and the occasional larger purchase to the family budget. (And I really do mean occasional, like once or twice a year. My recent big purchase was $60ish on actions.) DH doesn't say anything, and he definitely would if I was getting excessive.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post

Yah but....

I bought the newest TRA Dirty Pictures (textures for PS), plus two sets of actions from Florabella, and another two sets from Paint the Moon. I'm an action hoarder. And I do use them all.
But I definitely don't need them. That's probably $500 right there, maybe more.

The rest is kits, fonts, templates, etc. 95% from here, 5% maybe elsewhere.
And I've started making myself use past purchases, just not before buying more. LOL

You know what I need...(self-control bwahaha)...I need a couple of Sweet Shoppe CT gigs. Yah that's it. hehe

Last edited by Leah; 03-07-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't get a regular salary, so I usually shop when I can spare the cash or my credit card can handle it, lol. But for me, $30/month is already a lot.

I totally hear ya on the photo actions! I bought quite a few sets and then realized it doesn't make much sense for me to invest in them as I'm only using a 3-year-old P&S camera :P So I only snag freebies I catch every now and then.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:31 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

mine used to be $30 per month... but with medical expenses and new baby expenses... it's about $10 per month right now and that's if I bat some eyelashes, lol otherwise it would be $0 right now, lol... definitely helping me get my unused folder under control, lol.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:37 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I don't really have a budget but my husband has pointed out that my small scattered purchases have added up to hundreds of dollars over time!! I rarely spend more than $15-20 at a time (unless there's a big 40-50% off sale on) so I trick myself into thinking I'm not spending much. Smallish individual purchases + the ease of PayPal = trouble!!!

Wow, 40% off for challenges? I may have to start trying to do those!

I laughed out loud at the paper scrapping comment from above - tell me about it! I still have a stack of beautiful paper somewhere in the house that I spent $1 a sheet on!!!
Old 03-07-2011, 11:02 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Someone please point me in the direction of 2 gif's...a "Facebook" resembling image of the "like button" being clicked...and well...I can think of SEVERAL versions I could put to use...like "want", "totally jealous", "dislike for very rare cases"..."agreed" etc lol. I have this urge in me that's going 'Oh where's that 'like' button when I need it? Lol. Just quote a bunch of comments with a gif of the 'like' button being clicked. (and I know those of you that agree that 'saying' like just isn't the same as having that familiar button signifying our appreciation for the statement given. I blame Facebook.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:05 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by brighteyes86 View Post
Someone please point me in the direction of 2 gif's...a "Facebook" resembling image of the "like button" being clicked...and well...I can think of SEVERAL versions I could put to use...like "want", "totally jealous", "dislike for very rare cases"..."agreed" etc lol. I have this urge in me that's going 'Oh where's that 'like' button when I need it? Lol. Just quote a bunch of comments with a gif of the 'like' button being clicked. (and I know those of you that agree that 'saying' like just isn't the same as having that familiar button signifying our appreciation for the statement given. I blame Facebook.

^^I merely jest...for the record...lol. However...ahem...uh...if there are some...I can't lie here and say I probably would use the heck out of them. Lol.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't really have a budget but in Jan and Feb, I spent less than $100...which is good for me. But that's why I design. To support my habit. I don't spend more than $20 a month more than what I receive from my designing income. That's pretty much my rule.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:58 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't have a budget - mainly because I don't have any money, LOL! I'm lucky to scrap for my favourite designers, so I don't really NEED to buy anything else, but occasionally something from another store will catch my eye, and I'll get that. I guess in a month I'd spend around $10-$15. At the most.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:37 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I'd definitely like to get my act together and get scrapping often enough to apply to some CTs. I've got the free time more now...and more of a "will to scrap" than a "will to constantly browse and buy"...lol. Me thinks I may just be able to accomplish it this time around since I'm not too pre-occupied...and possibly because I feel definitively improved in the last 2 and a half years...I bet it'd help my scrap budget a lot. I don't know that I see myself ever committing to several teams though. That could likely spread me thin on time and take away my relaxed enjoyable time. Sometimes I wish I could have the brain of someone capable enough to manage all of that stuff efficiently...but...I kind of like my own brain a lot. The randomness is useful to me at this point if not at least quirkily enjoyable. Lol.