Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2014, 04:36 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm
Default Middle school backpack help

kiddo is going into middle school this year (ack!) and I'm stumped on the size of backpack that he will need. He didn't really need a backpack in elementary school because they didn't send the books home, only worksheets. I'd like to get him a JanSport backpack, but they have so many sizes that I don't know where to start.
Thoughts on these sizes?? http://www.jansport.com/shop/en/jans...bags/backpacks
Old 07-10-2014, 04:46 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Ask parents in your district how many physical books they use. We use some online textbooks here (at least in the upper elementary grades; no middle schoolers here yet) so you may only need to take binders and stuff into account.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:51 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

I dont know if it'll help but I've gotten Katie a Gear-Up Backpack from Pottery Barn Teen the last couple of years for 7th and 8th grade and her bag is always PACKED...

http://www.pbteen.com/shop/backpacks.../?cm_type=lnav

The backpack is pretty huge and yeah, it's always full, so I would go with a a pretty big one honestly.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This is what Cheyanne has had since 6th grade and what she will take to high school this coming fall.

It's pretty big but she had a 1 or 2-inch binder (the hard kind) for EVERY class plus a huge honking social studies text book, math book science book, etc. It has a zippered pouch on the bottom for gym clothes/sneakers so they don't stink up the books and papers. She had it packed full every single day.

We live in Maine so we're an LL Bean family - they are expensive but it has been through 3 years and will easily make it another 4 - they are built to last and they lifetime warantee can't be beat.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:13 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Shoot my fourth grader last year used a Jansport with the wheels and it was always packed.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:58 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

That info was really helpful! I don't know anyone in my area with kids in middle school currently. All my friends have kids that are much older. My oldest son is 22 and I couldn't remember what size backpack he had back in middle school. Those backpacks you both linked to are BIG... poor kids. I get sick of lugging my books in college, but I typically only have two subjects that I'm carrying for. Not 4-5 classes like middle schoolers.

I can say that I'm sure they won't have online books, we don't live in an affluent area and I'm guessing that a good percentage of the kids don't have a computer in their home.

And Robin, I'm really liking those backpacks you linked up... for myself! Might be back to school shopping for me now.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My middle school child ditched the backpack in favor of an inside out bag from Thirty-One. That wouldn't work for boys though.