Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community

Old 05-11-2020, 05:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Thumbs down So frustrated! Feel free to come vent, commiserate, whine etc.

I could see the end in sight. My son's school is almost done. Hallelujah! I have never wanted to homeschool and this online learning business just confirmed it. He's in 8th grade and it's been positively horrendous! Tears from one of us on most days and just a completely miserable experience. But, we're on the last week, and I could almost taste getting some uninterrupted scrapbooking time before I have to go back to work in the office. However, today, my 2 year old Alienware laptop that I splurged on has started making these terrible clicking noises, and of course my warranty expired about 3 months ago. I did back everything up, but I have no idea what's wrong with it. I'm hoping the IT guy at my work can look at it. I've looked online and did a diagnostic test on Dell.com, but it came back with "your warranty is expired" click here to renew. Yeah, for either $271 or $371 for a year and who knows if it will even help me figure out what's wrong. I'm just sick of everything right now. I just want it fixed and don't want to deal with this right now! If I can't get it fixed, I hate the thought of having to get a new computer. It's so difficult to get all the scrapping stuff moved over to a new computer with Lightroom (I use a really old version and don't really want to upgrade to the cloud), ACDSEE (my digi scrapping organization system, and PS Elements. I was really looking forward to scrapping, not dealing with stupid PC issues.

So, feel free to offer advice, tell me what's frustrating you, or just vent about this crazy time we're in. I've had it, what about you?

Old 05-11-2020, 06:56 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I'm so sorry, Corey! Computer problems are the pits! My high school son's laptop died right as the stay at home order (with the change to online school) was starting up and I was panicking hard! We were lucky that his warranty had not expired and they were able to just give us a new one, but I totally get it.

My son has also really struggled with online school. He came into quarantine with almost all A's but with his ADHD & greater requirements for organization/focus in online learning, his grades have been steadily going down since and his grades matter because he is a freshman =( So ready for it to be over - we are on our last week of school then finals next week!

Hope you can get the whole computer thing figured out soon!
Old 05-11-2020, 09:04 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephc777 View Post
I'm so sorry, Corey! Computer problems are the pits! My high school son's laptop died right as the stay at home order (with the change to online school) was starting up and I was panicking hard! We were lucky that his warranty had not expired and they were able to just give us a new one, but I totally get it.

My son has also really struggled with online school. He came into quarantine with almost all A's but with his ADHD & greater requirements for organization/focus in online learning, his grades have been steadily going down since and his grades matter because he is a freshman =( So ready for it to be over - we are on our last week of school then finals next week!

Hope you can get the whole computer thing figured out soon!
They are still doing finals?
Is the school working with your son's ADHD and his IEP? Are they counting the quarter for grades? I'm really sorry they are making this a little more stressful than it needs to be for all of you
Old 05-11-2020, 08:02 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Ugh, I'm so sorry about your computer. Our Internet has been out since April 23, and our service provider's office is closed. I've filled out a dozen "Help Me" forms on their website & texted them, but all I get in return are emails saying "Thank you for contacting us!" It is so frustrating!!!

And I hate school s much as you do! My kids go to an international school here in the Philippines (and I teach the middle school literature classes). The Department of Education has said that the earliest students can be back in classes is Aug. 24. They were talking about waiting to start school in December, and if they did, we were going to go back to the States where at least our kids could go to school. I can't imagine doing online learning for another school year!
Old 05-11-2020, 08:44 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
Ugh, I'm so sorry about your computer. Our Internet has been out since April 23, and our service provider's office is closed. I've filled out a dozen "Help Me" forms on their website & texted them, but all I get in return are emails saying "Thank you for contacting us!" It is so frustrating!!!

And I hate school s much as you do! My kids go to an international school here in the Philippines (and I teach the middle school literature classes). The Department of Education has said that the earliest students can be back in classes is Aug. 24. They were talking about waiting to start school in December, and if they did, we were going to go back to the States where at least our kids could go to school. I can't imagine doing online learning for another school year!
Oh Kellie!!!! Wow I'm so sorry you aren't getting any help about the internet and they are talking about starting school later in the year! :O I can't imagine what's going through your head and hope that someone gets back to you about the internet quickly so you have at least one thing not to worry about!
Old 05-12-2020, 10:57 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post

Many places around here are saying school may be online for the next year in many states as well. I am praying not. I don't know how much more of this I can take!
Old 05-11-2020, 08:41 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I am so sorry!!!

I understand the whole digital learning of the older ones. My high schooler has been tough. Thankfully the next 1.5 weeks are makeup which is what she will be doing as she couldn't keep up with the school requirements these past 8 weeks So yay for you guys being in the last week!!! There's an end in sight!! You guys got this!!

Your computer I hope your IT guy can fix it and you don't have to renew your warranty. I really wish we were closer and I could give you a hug
Old 05-11-2020, 08:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You guys!!! No internet and computer on the fritz just out of warranty! And kids struggling with school! I'm so sorry. Hoping the internet and computer can be fixed quickly and cheaply and you can both get back to scrapping!
Old 05-11-2020, 09:43 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I had a disappointing Mother's Day with no cards, hugs, Happy Mother's Day wishes, etc. from either of my kids. My mom did make me a card & buy me some flowers "from the kids."

It's been stressful to work from home & help school my 6yo. Luckily, the 10yo has an amazing teacher who's regularly met with her students and set plans in place for everyone to follow so that I don't have to worry about her. With the 6yo still learning to read, I have to stop working to sit with him and make sure he knows what to do. I did get a new computer last week but before that he & I were having to share a computer for work and school. I'm more concerned about next school year and how hybrid learning may work as I don't know how I could work from my office (where I'm a receptionist so I need to be on-site) if one or both of my kids was only in the school building 2-3x/week and needed to be at home the other days.

All that + how I'm currently WFH and being frustrated with some workplace politics & my EHD isn't working! I was able to finally get it to my sister's fiance, who works in IT, last week so hopefully he's able to figure it out and let me know what to do. Seems a real shame to have time to scrap and a new laptop to scrap with and all of my supplies are stuck on that EHD.

2020 has already been a year for the record books, and it's only May. I shudder to think what will happen by the time 2021 rolls around.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:34 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm sorry for all the frustrations! My 16 year old feels your pain on the computer issues. A couple of weeks ago his 1.5 year old laptop started making fan noises that it shouldn't be, so we paid to send it back to Dell and get it repaired. It had been back here less than 48 hours when we realized it wasn't fixed after all and had to send it back. Poor kid! His video game time is about all he looks forward to right now, and he can't even do that! Luckily he has a school-issued computer that he can use for online school, but he's worried that they won't get it fixed right this time either.

Like everyone else, I'm nervous about next school year. I don't see any way they can have 25-30 kids in every classroom all day Monday through Friday. I'm pretty much working on the assumption that there will be some sort of split schedule where kids alternate days. I have no idea what that will mean for my ability to work. I work part time teaching preschool. I have a masters in another field, but because of my 14 year old's special needs I need to work a job that lets me be home when he's home. (Smith-Magenis Syndrome-short explanation is that because of this genetic disorder he's on the autism spectrum, has ADHD, and has sleep, speech, and motor planning disorders. He also has some learning disabilities. His behavior has gotten *so* much better, but he still needs adult supervision rather than a babysitter or older sibling.) The reality is that I earn only a fraction of what my DH does, so financially we'll be okay if I can't go back to work in the fall. We'll need to cut back, but of course others are in much worse financial positions right now. But I do worry about how it will affect my future employability and earnings potential if I have to step out of the workforce again.

I'm also worried about my preschool. We're a small non-profit, and we don't know yet what state or local guidelines will be in place for us and whether we can meet them and re-open. Staffing will be our biggest issue--most of our teachers are parents with school age children and people who are semi-retired from public school teaching careers. A lot of us won't be able to return either because we have kids at home or are higher risk. If the public schools let us know far enough in advance what our kids' schedule will be we might be able to juggle teachers and make it work, but I don't think we'll know until very close to the beginning of next school year.

Gah--I'm trying not to think about any of this. I need to go distract myself with a layout!
Old 05-11-2020, 11:43 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Absolutely have every computer nerd you know take a look at it. I don't know how many laptops and computers my husband has looked at over the years that he could fix when distributors said they couldn't do anything without it costing a bunch of money since warranty has run out.

It's good you have everything backed up though. If your Alienware laptop can't be fixed by your computer buds, you'll still have everything that's very important, which is the data.

If you need to purchase another device, do *NOT* buy another Alienware laptop or even desktop. Alienware originated as gaming systems. Dell bought them out and are peddling Alienware as top of the line gaming machines and they're not. You can build an amazing machine to scrap on and game on if that's your preference.
Old 05-12-2020, 01:09 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

So so sorry about all those school tears, computer fritz and internet problems, ladies!
Michael and I were both in tears yesterday, because I was so mad at him about his school work. We started on a double-load school work on Monday and it's taking a toll on me. It's hard to focus for him at home and it's exhausting for me trying to be positive all the time when he's so unfocused. *gah*
We've doing this 'homeschooling' from February with lots of changes here and there and it's hard for both of us, since he has to do a lot of things manually, since he only has the pdf versions of all this textbooks and exercise books, which his dad scanned one by one for him, when the school handed them out.
Thankfully, Lan sent the books through DHL last week, paid a bloody fortune, and it should arrive here today or tomorrow. So things should improve afterwards.

So yeah... I feel you all. *hugs*
Old 05-12-2020, 02:26 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I am so sorry about all the things that are going wrong right now...when it rains, it poors, no ??? I am keeping my fingers crossed that the IT guy at your work can find out what's wrong with your computer. Looks like things always go wrong right after the warranty expires. So frustrating

It's been a tough few weeks here too...FIL hospitalized again (6th time in 5 months), we had to rehome our new puppy and just two days ago we found out that our awesome neighbours are planning to move (already put a bid on a house but that didn't get excepted) so it has just been sh*tty and with my borderline...things are just even harder for me so lots and lots and lots of tears for sure.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm so sorry about your computer, but thanks for sharing. Sunday night we were looking at Dell for gaming computers because my daughter was complaining about her laptop being so slow. So I now know--no Alienware!

I was pretty upset when my hard drive stopped working in January, but I now see it as a blessing that it happened then and not now. The timing was perfect if there can be a perfect time for a computer to quit. And, when we first went to the cable company for our internet, it was on and off for two years. I kept calling, and having techs come out, and calling some more. . . They finally got it fixed (it was the hub/station on our street), so things have been pretty smooth with the internet during these last few months.

Everyone is dealing with so much more added stress these days. It's sad that this virus has caused so many deaths, but it has also destroyed so much more of our lives. (((HUGS))) to all you ladies! Stay strong!
Old 05-12-2020, 09:50 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm so sorry about computer issues - that is the one thing that can really make my day go south!

I'm also sorry to hear about schooling... as a homeschooler who is passionate about schooling at home, it hurts my heart that parents are struggling... this is not homeschooling, it is crisis-schooling.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
I'm so sorry about computer issues - that is the one thing that can really make my day go south!

I'm also sorry to hear about schooling... as a homeschooler who is passionate about schooling at home, it hurts my heart that parents are struggling... this is not homeschooling, it is crisis-schooling.
Exactly! Crisis schooling! I am SO tired of all of the 'homeschooling' memes, posts, etc. These parents are NOT homeschooling! The teachers are still educating. The parents are facilitating. Honestly, this is a completely different ballgame, and, for many, much harder than homeschooling! If someone chooses to homeschool they educate themselves and prepare. They choose curriculum. They have a say in when and how things are done. There is not that freedom in crisis schooling. I'm in education and, to be perfectly honest, right now I'd rather be homeschooling my child than trying to pick up the pieces from this crisis schooling. I would have a lot more control that way. Homeschooling is not easy by any means, but the parent has more control in the situation. They have a choice. This was thrust upon many who were completely unprepared and not equipped to handle it.
Old 05-12-2020, 10:05 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Ugh! I'm so sorry everyone for all the bad things happening! Hang in there! I hope things get fixed soon.
Old 05-12-2020, 10:27 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My heart goes out to you all with the struggles and challenges lately. It’s a hard time for most in one way or another. We have a reduced income for hubs and that will continue throughout the next yr or two. Many of his customers will close or have reduced services so that affects his job salary. We are going to have to figure out how to live on less. We have appliances that are close to shutting down. We’ve got extensive dental procedures that have to be done when restrictions lift and taxes to pay soon. It’s a financial headache for us. Plus the stress of not being with Bailey has been so hard for us and hope we can soon see her. I am grateful for FaceTime which we do every night. I just pray we all come out the other side of this terrible time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2020, 10:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So sorry about your computer. I can commiserate on the 8th grader and crisis schooling. My 8th grader has not taken this well. I feel like I spend more time yelling at him to do his work than I do anything else right now.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:25 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We need to look for a computer for our oldest. Everyone has been using my laptop which means we have to have a schedule to get everything done. The oldest is a senior and since her international trip was postponed a year, she starts college June 1st. I also start my summer classes June 1st so we will probably need a second laptop. We all have iPads, but they don't work as well with our college's back end program. I don't think I want another from Dell though. We have had a few issues with this one. I also don't want to spend over a few hundred because we need to watch our pennies while this is all going on.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:39 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Oh man.... that really stinks...

Mine are just dealing with older slower laptops (except the high school senior who just got her brand new laptop right before all of this.... thank goodness) They moan and complain....

my laptop and desk top are both older too, so they are slowing down.

And our wifi is usually good if you're near the router... so when this all started I had to run out and buy another router to handle 4 kids on zoom and constant internet....

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 05-12-2020, 03:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for sharing ladies. I'm sorry so many are struggling right now, but it's good to know I'm not alone. I had my IT guy look at my computer this morning and he opened the back up and everything seemed fine. He "thinks" it might be some sort of glitch with a speaker. The noise coming from it yesterday sounded like bubble wrap popping or firecrackers. I hope it's just a glitch and nothing more major. I haven't worked on it much today, but so far no crazy noises, so my fingers are crossed.

This whole situation is just so maddening. I also work for a private school and we were just talking about the next school year and if we will have to do online learning some. I sure hope we can go back to regular school because this is such a hardship on so many people. Praying that we can get the virus under control and go back to some semblance of normalcy!

Old 05-12-2020, 03:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am wondering what our schools will look like next year. My 8th grader NEEDS school. He would do fine homeschooling but this isn't homeschooling. In homeschooling I could let him take a break and circle back around to a subject if needed, etc. I can't do that with this online setup. We have the rest of this week and next. Almost done!!
Old 05-12-2020, 05:43 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

TOTALLY feel you with the 'distance learning' thing. I have 2- thankfully my 12yr old (6th grade) is super type A so she gets all her stuff done with very minimal effort on my part- which is good because her brother is something completely opposite. He needs help 99% of the time, and if it's not to find the right assignment or to answer his questions, it's to keep him on task & not fiddle-farting around. It is IMPOSSIBLE to accomplish anything else- forget chores & scrapping... :/

Oh yeah- we got a puppy the middle of march. lmao. I ~thought~ it would be a great time to get/train a puppy- and I guess it has, considering we've been home more than ever before- but she's a handful. She's like having a terrible 2 year old that requires constant supervision right now!

AND- our governor closed down dental offices (I'm a hygienist 2 days/week) since the middle of March & we're 'supposed' to go back next week. My office has basically had minimal communication on what changes we are going to make. We have a staff meeting tomorrow to go over our 'plan' but in the meantime I've been reading as many studies as I can and going in with my "have to" and "willing to concede" list. I'm not going to say I'm scared to go back to work- since I'm educated on viruses and how to protect myself, but I'm just not sure my office is going to take the steps necessary to ensure that. This virus spreads through the air & in the dental industry everything we do fills the air with microscopic blood/spit/bacteria/virus droplets. All the aerosols we produce during a "cleaning" or even a filling are in the air for hours. Imagine breathing the aerosols from the last 1, 2 or even 3 hours worth of patients = exponential spread! No matter how much screening we do- the asymptomatic patients are still going to spread their germs. No matter how much PPE we wear - if it's in the air- it's in the entire office (some are able to install negative pressure air filtration- but most offices can't or wont.) All the advisory boards (CDC, ADA, OSHA) recommend not seeing any preventative patients at this time. But then there are so many conflicting guidelines between federal/state & it's so hard to sift through it all to know what is the best practices. I highly encourage people to STAY AWAY from the dental office unless it is a true emergency until this pandemic is over. �� AND on top of all this stress/keeping me up at night info- I've started to seriously contemplate getting out of clinical dental hygiene. What else I could do, I'm not sure yet. We need my income to pay our mortgage, so it's not like I can just quit. So conflicted. :/

OH MY GOSH- that got really long. Wow. Okay who knew I needed to vent!? Thank you for the safe space! lol
Old 05-12-2020, 09:01 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Our school board held their first meeting yesterday on how to handle the 2020-21 school year. Apparently the Governor of VA has promised schools guidelines by early June, so no decisions can be made yet. Option 1 is full distance learning, which is everyone's worst case scenario. Option 2 is a hybrid model, with some distance learning and some in person. They're still considering a few different hybrid models. They might have students all alternate days on and off campus, or they might give priority to students who benefit least from virtual learning, such as K-2 students and special education populations. Option 3 is "regular" school with an emphasis on how to serve students and teachers who can't come back due to their or a family member's risk status. In both of the in person scenarios they'll be ready to switch back to full distance learning as needed, so they're investing in more technology and digital curriculums, partly with the goal of reducing the amount of parent help that virtual learning requires for elementary aged students.

Even though these 3 options are common sense and I knew they had to be what was under consideration, there's something about hearing an organized strategy and timeline that helps. They're hoping to make a decision by the end of June, which is good news. I was worried that we'd be in limbo until August.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk