Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2013, 03:07 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default Help me plan my Birthday Week!!

Help me plan my Birthday Week!!

My daughter is visiting her grandparents and Nana for 2 weeks, and my husband is away training for deployment (he's in the Canadian Military). So it's just me. And the dog. For 2 weeks (hubby will visit on the weekend in between, but I still have the weekdays alone). And during the second week - it's my birthday. Did I mention I'll be alone?

SO! I live near Montreal. And my plan is to get some bus tickets, and a 1wk metro pass, and enjoy the beautiful city of Montreal on my own!

If you've ever been - tell me the must see places, must shop stores, must eat restos and more!

So far my plan is:
  • Botanical Gardens of Montreal

Marche Jean Talon (market)

Old Montreal/Old Port

Plateau Mont-Royal

Mile End
Old 07-11-2013, 04:14 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm sorry you have to spend your birthday by yourself, however it sounds like you have a great plan!! I've never been there, but it's on my bucket list!! I can't wait to see your photos!!
Old 07-11-2013, 05:49 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

so fun.. lol i'd do a lot of sleeping and skip out on half of the site seeing haha.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:14 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren grier View Post
so fun.. lol i'd do a lot of sleeping and skip out on half of the site seeing haha.
I've been battling with depression for about a yr now. Sleeping all day would not be good for me... lol.

I was really upset when I found out I was going to be alone for so long and over my birthday, but then I decided what the hell - I'll get bus and metro passes and go do the touristy thing on my own. If I get lost, I have all day to figure out where I am and find my way back home... lol. And I only have the dog to get back to to let her have a pee break... so I can be gone for a good 10hrs without a problem. I'll just go every other day so she's not alone so long every day.

Now I'm actually looking forward to it. The gardens will be nice alone. We went last yr but hubby got bored pretty quick. So I"ll spend the whole day wandering there and checking out the huge amount of displays at the horticultural mosaic event they have going this summer.

And I found out that Plateau Mont-Royal and Mile End neighborhoods have a lot of used bookstores and vintage shops - I'm going to have a blast checking that out.

And if I need a break I can take the metro down to the Dollar Cinema - every movie is 2.50$ and snacks are all 1$! They play older releases, ones that are usually done everywhere else - but I haven't seen a movie in theaters in a yr, and that was a kids movie!

As you can tell I've done a lot of research already on my own, it's something I love doing. So I'm turning what could have been a very depressing birthday into a birthday week blast hehe
Old 07-11-2013, 07:45 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I don't know much about Montreal, and I've never been alone for 2 weeks... but I actually think I would REALLY like it. The only thing comparable is the time I had to do my own thing in a new city all by myself. DH was at a convention and I tagged along to LA. We knew friends there, so I wasn't by myself all day every day, but I was alone half the day at times... and I was determined to not just sit in the hotel room and sleep (although I did do that the first day just to get it out of my system). Like you, I researched some places I could visit. I took my time walking and exploring at my own pace.

But I will say... it did get lonely. And I wasn't alone for as long as you will be. I am an extrovert, though. I NEED people-contact. So, I went to Starbucks 3x a day and sat among others. It made me feel better.

Another thing you might consider is to take some sort of class. Join some kind of volunteer effort in Montreal. Some way to make contact with people, perhaps meet some friends. If I was husband-less and child-less and fancy free for 2 weeks I would immerse myself in some project. Like, an oil painting class or pottery. Or, take horse back riding lessons. Maybe plan out a photography & journaling project... Just a couple ideas.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:54 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Thanks! Like you I need people. Hence the depression when we moved to Quebec last yr. I know no one. And we live too far from the Military Family Resource Center to be able to meet other military wives. I'm finally meeting new people this summer as there are activities at the parks for the kids, and I've taken my DD almost every day. I've met a couple women there that I've clicked with and have exchanged cell numbers with them.

A class is a great idea. I'll have to see what I can find I was thinking of doing an online art journaling class if I can't find anything else... but an actual class outside the house would be a great way to meet some more people. Thanks!
Old 07-11-2013, 10:00 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Have fun! It's been so long since I was in Montreal that I can't remember what we liked; I was there a lot as a kid, but let's just say that last time I was there I enjoyed having the drinking age be 18 instead of 21, LOL. I think the idea of taking a class or having a project is a great one.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

that sounds so fun! I'm celebrating my birthday alone this year too since DH will be away at military stuff
Old 07-11-2013, 10:11 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We went to Montreal last summer and it was devine!

Definitely give yourself time to explore Old Montreal. The botanical gardens out by the Olympic Park are really nice and can take a good part of the day to stroll the whole thing. Check out what kind of entertainment will be in town. When we were there last summer it was the Laugh Festival and there was so much going on by UQAM and most of it was free. I think they have festivals all summer long. We also took a subway ride out and watched fireworks at La Ronde' from the waterfront. If you check out their website you should be able to figure out what nights they do it. The crowd was pretty family friendly so I think you could go safely alone at night.

Have an awesome time! There is so much to see and do in Montreal! Don't forget to eat some yummy fresh baked bread while you are there.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:19 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Pottery Studios in Montreal: http://www.sprucelog.com/studios/
Free things to do: http://travel.nationalgeographic.com...real-traveler/
Community $5 Yoga class: http://www.sharetheloveyoga.com/class/wanderlust-yoga-montreal-5-community-class-francais-2013-07-09/