Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2013, 12:36 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Recommendations for photobook printing?

So I've only managed to get two photobooks printed ever. Was very happy with them, but now I find out that the company (Inkubook) is closing. So I would love your suggestions for somewhere that prints awesome books.

I need somewhere that ships internationally, and can print at least 10x10. I also had 200 pages in each of the books I printed, so somewhere that will let me add a lot of pages too . I've googled a bit, but would love to hear where you all print yours
Old 01-05-2013, 01:22 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I mostly print at Shutterfly... but have tied Arts Cow (which I didn't like) and my last book as been at MixBooks - http://www.mixbook.com/photo-books I think they only have 8.5x8.5 and 12x12

When I was looking to print the big florida book - I was going to go Viovio, but they couldn't tell me exactly as to when I was going to get my book. (I needed it by a certain date). So I chose to go with Mixbook - I was very happy with them and they very quick about my product. I did had a page in my Florida book that the paper was creased before it was printed on. I emailed them and they shipped a replacement to me at expressed shipping.

This is also a good blog... she will have coupons listed and has reviews on different photo book companies... http://www.photobookgirl.com/
Old 01-05-2013, 01:23 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I was really sad to see they are closing too
Old 01-05-2013, 01:26 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I just asked megan turnidge this the other day because i'm interested in starting to do some photobooks

she said in order of preference:

AdoramaPix
Blurb
Viovio
Shutterfly

Old 01-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I love Shutterfly
Old 01-05-2013, 01:31 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I second Adorama. Their books are drop dead gorgeous because they use real photo paper (a thicker non-floppy kind) and the prints are just stunning! And they do ship internationally!
Old 01-05-2013, 01:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've only ever used Shutterfly as I had coupon code for it. But I do love my book. I can't wait to see what others say.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:41 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for the recommendations ladies. Off to check them all out now!
Old 01-05-2013, 06:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I print at Pixum, which is Europe-based (Germany). They ship Europe-wide through their international page and I've been most happy with their product. I always choose the "photo paper" option (the way Adorama offers, with lay-flat binding) and I love the result.

ETA: Now I think about it, the photo paper book has a maximum of 84 pages (I normally divide thick books into more parts)... The normal ones (digital print ones) can have more, but I hae no idea about the quality as I never tried those.

Last edited by adrianka; 01-06-2013 at 03:04 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:27 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've done 14 books with viovio.com & i love them. They hold 160 pages, they do a 10x10 size.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:43 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I did a big Blurb book (112 pgs) and was very very happy. I did a 12x12 hard cover with premium matte paper. It's been almost 2 years and the book has held up very nicely to repeated use. It was super expensive though (about $100 a book) which was a huge downside for me. I could only afford to buy the one book to give to my grandparents as a gift. I also loved it that Blurb allowed me to share the purchase page with relatives so they could purchase their own books if they wanted to (it was a family photo album from my Dad's childhood).

Old 01-06-2013, 05:16 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Oh, I just wanted to check out Blurb's international shipping and discovered they have a reasonable priced German site, too. Good to know! Though I don't think I'll do my PL with them. I will probably prefer a 10x10 size and that is not available. Plus doing a book with over 100 pages in 12x12 is of course freaking expensive. The Viovio 10x10 looks like a very affordable alternative.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love viovio too!
Old 01-06-2013, 10:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I usually print with Shutterfly... I used viovio.com last year and didn't really like how I had to make my book. (I can't really remember the problem, but I know I was annoyed. lol).

Shutterfly currently has a 50% off 12x12 books until Wednesday, Jan. 9th. I'm doing marathon scrapping in hopes of getting my 2012 photo book all wrapped up by then. Only downside, I have too many pages for one book, so I'm going to have to split it up to a part I and part II. I've decided that might not be that big of a deal if I can print twice a year vs having to wait until January. I love getting a book in the mail.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have been raving about Blurb for a while now. I have 2 books printed there. They're great and sturdy (stiched binding, which I love) but now that I've seen other books with thicker paper and the lay-flat technique, I must admit that they look so much better (and more vibrant)... And I agree Blurb is expensive, I always waited for a 30% discount coupon which they usually send out in their newsletter around holidays. Too bad Pixum has a max of 84 pages, I would have loved to get my next book with them.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:15 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freckles View Post
Too bad Pixum has a max of 84 pages, I would have loved to get my next book with them.
I looked at the site earlier, and I'm sure I saw 154 pages? I think the number of pages depends on the size of the book.

Thanks for all the suggestions. After looking at them, I think it will be either Blurb or Viovio, because the others work out more expensive with the number of pages I want to include. I just need to decide now whether I want to print 10x10 or 12x12!

Has anyone printed 10x10 with Viovio? Just wondering what the cover is like, as there's no option for imagewrap on this size.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had to quick finish my son's second half of 2012 so I could get it printed before their store closed!

I've checked out mixbook and that's going to be the next place I order from. Glad to here you were happy with it Rebecca!
Old 01-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm looking for a printer too for an 8x8 photobook with just over 100 pages possibly

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 01-06-2013, 05:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy257 View Post
I looked at the site earlier, and I'm sure I saw 154 pages? I think the number of pages depends on the size of the book.
The limit (I checked it now and it's 82, my memory sucks) is only for books on photo paper. The normal ones can have from 98 to 154 depending on size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freckles View Post
Too bad Pixum has a max of 84 pages, I would have loved to get my next book with them.
What I do is to divide books into volumes, but I can see it's not the perfect solution.

Last edited by adrianka; 01-06-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy257 View Post

Thanks for all the suggestions. After looking at them, I think it will be either Blurb or Viovio, because the others work out more expensive with the number of pages I want to include. I just need to decide now whether I want to print 10x10 or 12x12!

Has anyone printed 10x10 with Viovio? Just wondering what the cover is like, as there's no option for imagewrap on this size.
I haven't but i love the 8.5x8.5 size. I did print 12x12 when i first started, but too expensive, so i went to 8x8, but when i switched to viovio the only did 8.5 & i think its perfect.

Last edited by nesser1981; 01-06-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:20 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I have only printed on and it was at Shutterfly. I didn't love the binding. I just didn't look like it would hold up well.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just got my disney album in the mail yesterday from viovio. It's 10x10 and I went with linen... I had a hard time deciding between leather and linen and also couldn't decide what to put in the cut out!