Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2010, 11:34 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife
Default Caffeine withdrawl

I am a huge lover of Diet Pepsi and for years before that, Regular Pepsi. I changed to diet because of the calorie/sugar factor, and now I'm thinking that diet isn't good for you either with the aspertame, plus I'm so bloated all the time, I look prego. Not a good look if you aren't! LOL

So I'm trying to cut back, I'm not going to say I'll give it up completely, I really don't know if I can stop a 25 year habit (yes, I've been drinking pop since I was a kid) completely. Plus I like the taste of it. I'm hoping to get down to 1 can per day, instead of the 4-5 I drink now.

I'm cutting back gradually so I don't get splitting headaches like I did when I cut it cold turkey when I was pregnant. But I'm so tired! I'm seriously dragging. For those of you that have done this successfully, how on earth did you get through the day without it?
Old 08-03-2010, 11:41 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfiemountiewife View Post
I am a huge lover of Diet Pepsi and for years before that, Regular Pepsi. I changed to diet because of the calorie/sugar factor, and now I'm thinking that diet isn't good for you either with the aspertame, plus I'm so bloated all the time, I look prego. Not a good look if you aren't! LOL

So I'm trying to cut back, I'm not going to say I'll give it up completely, I really don't know if I can stop a 25 year habit (yes, I've been drinking pop since I was a kid) completely. Plus I like the taste of it. I'm hoping to get down to 1 can per day, instead of the 4-5 I drink now.

I'm cutting back gradually so I don't get splitting headaches like I did when I cut it cold turkey when I was pregnant. But I'm so tired! I'm seriously dragging. For those of you that have done this successfully, how on earth did you get through the day without it?
I don't drink Pepsi, but I'm a coffee junkie, and when I had to give it up for medical reasons for a period of time, I found I didn't miss it at all after a couple of days. However, once I could drink it again, I returned to it, because I like the taste.

As for energy boosting - I find that green tea (like, the real stuff) or maté are much more effective from the point of view of "waking up" than caffeine. But this may be individual! You should try and test various things and you will see what works for you.

ETA: Feeling dragged might be caused by other things than caffeine withdrawal, so you might want to check that as well. Just saying.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I haven't had any luck, I always cave and start drinking it again. But I'll be looking for the trick to successfully quitting (heck, I quit smoking cold turkey, why can't I quit drinking pop the same way?!?!)
Old 08-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I love my Diet Coke (before that regular Coke) but caffeine gives me heart palpitations now so I do the caffeine-free diet coke. It's my vice that I just can't give up! Anyway, I went through major caffeine withdraw with migraines, jitters, and a general feeling of sleepiness (couldn't concentrate). I found if I took 1 excedrin migraine medicine(yes I know it has caffeine LOL) I could cope and then I gradually weened myself off everything from there. It took about 2 weeks for me to be rid of the headaches completely; I hope your time is shorter in the land of caffeine shortage. Good luck!

Old 08-03-2010, 11:56 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

What about taking a B complex vit for the energy... my hubby use to sell an energy drink that really all it was B vitamins and water. LOL!
Old 08-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuneskids View Post
I haven't had any luck, I always cave and start drinking it again. But I'll be looking for the trick to successfully quitting (heck, I quit smoking cold turkey, why can't I quit drinking pop the same way?!?!)
See, this is exactly what I do! I have never successfully done this, despite trying many times!
Old 08-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

When I was younger, late teens early 20's, all I used to drink was Mountain Dew. Nothing else. But with all of that caffeine I was getting massive migraine headaches and really sick. So I quit cold turkey and all together. It was soooo hard and those headaches were even worse. But after withdrawling I have never drank any caffeine ever again. It's been 7 years now and I honestly don't even miss it. If I want soda I just drink Sprite or Mug Rootbeer. As far as energy goes I have no idea what to tell you Caffeine never really made me feel energized anyway. But good luck!! You can do it!
Old 08-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

It's really just willpower. If you want to stop drinking it, stop feeling bloated, etc bad enough, you'll do it. I used to drink 1 or 2 cans of regular (I HATE diet drinks) pepsi a day. Now I drink maybe 1 a week. Force yourself to drink water water water water. I gave myself a water challenge last week, and now I feel worse if I drink a soda instead of water.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I stopped drinking caffeine when I was in between my children. I drank a cup a day while I was pregnant with my first. But something aboutt hat pregnancy changed me so that I can no longer tolerate caffeine. I get horrible stomach aches if I have it.

So I went from fully caffeinated to half caff and then eventually over fully to decaf.

It's hard but truly I feel so much better without it and always notice when they "accidentally" give me caffeinated instead of decaf.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I wouldn't think that giving up caffeine would reduce bloating, given that it's a diuretic, though I don't know about the other stuff in diet pepsi. And caffeine in moderation is supposed to be actually good for your brain. So, maybe switch to another, healthier source of caffeine -- i.e., coffee or tea (?) -- while you're cutting back on the Pepsi?
Old 08-03-2010, 01:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I quit drinking caffeine the beginning of this year. It wasn't too hard to do, but the headaches sucked! I still wanted to drink soda, I didn't think I'd be able to stop if I wasn't drinking some kind of soda, so I switched to A&W rootbeer, since it's caffiene free, and I like it. By drinking some kind of soda, still, it made me feel like I wasn't exactly quitting, ya know? So I didn't really crave mt. dew(<----- used to be my fave...lol) while I was guzzling a rootbeer. I also drank, and still do, Nestea Red Tea.

I'm finding a lot of places around here don't even carry 7-up products, so I can't always find a&w, and a few don't even carry my tea, so now and then, I have grabbed a dew to drink, but I don't really enjoy it like I used to, and have no problem drinking one on a rare occasion without feeling like I still want to drink it... I'm too used to the rootbeer now.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:30 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

During the afternoon slump, try doing some quick things to get your heart rate going - a couple of quick lunges, jumping jacks, or even a quick walk if you can. A spoonful of honey is also good for a quick natural boost.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:38 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuneskids View Post
OMG That's it exactly...i always thought that giving up smoking would be the harder of the two (especially since i'm not giving up coffee so I'm still getting caffeine). I just can't kick the soda habit for more than a couple of days at a time.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I gave up diet Dr Pepper at the beginning of the year. It was hard at first, but I quit gradually and now I don't even miss it. I like Sobe or water. You can do it! Don't give up!

Old 08-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've switched to caffine-free pepsi by simply going for it and not buying the other. Now I'm cutting down my pepsi by substituting diluted juice or plain H2O. Slow and steady, and be firm with yourself, and by the end of the week you'll definitely get there, mainly because you want to!!

I read somewhere that if you can stick with something consistently for 7 days it becomes a habbit - sounds good, but I still avoid going to the gym, dieting....
Old 08-03-2010, 02:50 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMarch View Post
I wouldn't think that giving up caffeine would reduce bloating, given that it's a diuretic, though I don't know about the other stuff in diet pepsi. And caffeine in moderation is supposed to be actually good for your brain. So, maybe switch to another, healthier source of caffeine -- i.e., coffee or tea (?) -- while you're cutting back on the Pepsi?
Carbonation is what causes the bloating.

Jamie..seriously. I kicked a pretty heavy habit of Coke - I was drinking the equivalent of 6 cans a day. I can say I was addicted, truly addicted. I didn't do diet since I'm allergic to the artificial sweeteners, and I gained a ton of weight over the years. I've tried once or twice to stop, but this year, I did. I seriously think it is simply an issue of if you want it badly enough, you'll do it. I didn't want it badly enough before. I did switch to having tea, with 1/4 of the sugar, enough caffeine to take care of that, and it gave me a mostly water drink to help the transition. I drink 1-2 glasses of tea per day, and the rest water. I didn't replace it with any other soda of any kind. Being hydrated heavily really helps that transition. If you're not thirsty (or hungry) you won't go for the soda. Being hydrated also helps with the headaches. And if you're really in need, definitely go with the Excedrin.

I have no magic..I just quit. I do struggle a bit, but much less so now than before. I've had one glass of root beer in that time when we went to a restaurant that served homemade root beer. And it's mostly situational struggling (like cigarette smokers) more than a real need for the soda itself. Movies are still hard. And what's weird, I'd pay $4.50 for a large soda at the theater, but won't spend $4.50 on a vitamin water there LOL. It helps that I'm a weird cheapskate.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks you guys!

I do think the carbonation is what makes me so bloated. It's very annoying to look so pregnant when I'm not LOL.

I've been drinking water like a lunatic. I think I'm situational like you are Darcy, like...how can I have chips without pop? Or how can I go to the movies without pop? How can I drive without a pop? LOL! It's hard. It's part of everything I do. I am addicted, I'm glad I'm not addicted to something worse, but I know I am.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Jamie - if I can do it, ANYONE can. I wish Russ were able to chime in here, but I had it bad. I got the shakes if I hadn't had a coke all morning. I couldn't go to t he grocery store without checking out with one. I allowed myself to get to that point, but by the time I realized how bad it was, I had been drinking it for years, it was part of my 150 lb weight gain ( a big part of it ), and I knew it just had to change. Helps that our whole family is really moving towards a healthier diet, etc.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

For over twenty years, I was a huge Diet Pepsi drinker (then Pepsi One because it didn't have aspartame and I have a bad reaction to aspartame). We're talking easily 6 cans a day, if not more.

Six months ago, I cut it down to one a day. I say I quit caffeine, but that's not technically true because I still allow myself one when I first wake up. Just 1 can. Period. Not a pop from McDonalds, or a bottle. 1 can.

I started by going with just the 1 in the morning and then another can around lunch time. After a week, I cut it to half a can mid-day. Within a few days, I just cut that completely.

I do still drink caffeine free diet cola (usually Diet Rite), usually one a day but this summer it's more like 2 because I find myself wanting something different mid-day. I drink water like crazy and I'm now addicted to Vitamin Water, but that stuff is so expensive that I have to limit it to 3-4/week rather than several a day like I'd rather be drinking.

I didn't realize how much caffeine was controlling my life, though. We went on vacation this summer and it was so strange not to constantly be needing a pop to drink. Usually we'd get to the theme park and the first thing I'd do was go fill up our refillable mugs. This time I just carried a bottle of water and felt so much better for it. I lost about 10 pounds right away when I made the cut, too.

My drinking pop was a direct reaction to stress. I'd know I had a rough meeting ahead at work and stop and get a 44 oz pop to get me through it. Ironically, the work related stress was at its worst when I made the cut, but it helped me see clearly enough to realize I had to make changes and couldn't keep just pushing through. New job this year, and my new coworkers are huge caffeine addicts. It'll be interesting to see if I make it.

On a side note, I have on two instances allowed myself a glass of iced tea with lunch (both times were when we were out to eat after a particuarly hot & busy morning on vacation). I became physically ill after both times (mostly stomach, but light in the head, too) and I've decided to just avoid it from now on.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Is there life without caffeine?

I think not.

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 08-03-2010, 07:29 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I quit all soda in January, and there is a rough 3-4 days with bad headaches. I just toughed it out knowing that it was only temporary. I promise you it is. As to the energy factor, I just made sure to have some good energy bars around.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:39 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I would cut out 1 soda a day for a week and then cut out another one the next week until you are down to just the 1 a day you want. Wean yourself. I quit caffeine totally for years, but had to add it back in again when I started working overnights.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've been drinking coke for almost 20 yrs. At my worst I would down 2-3 two liters a day. Plus coffee and tea. I've got it down to 1 can sometimes 2 on bad days. I'm pretty happy with that. Plus I've realllly up'd my water. I can't stand plain boring water. So I do the flavored waters. Its not any more than I was spending on coke and I'm working on weaning myself off the flavor. I water it down a lot now and so its more half flavor half regular water. Its a process for me. Suddenly stopping doesn't work for my body. I do have to make sure I'm getting my water and exercise or I get very very sluggish!
Old 08-04-2010, 03:41 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8rbeckie View Post

Is there life without caffeine?

I think not.

Amen. There's just something about my morning and afternoon coffee that no tea can ever compensate (I do drink and love tea, it's just he experience is different). Never been addicted to coke or pepsi (too sweet and too carbonated for my taste), but I have my coffee. :-)

Old 08-04-2010, 04:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Skype™ to DeepGirl

My mom is a coffee junkie and she is hopeless without it... and therefore I have decided not to start drinking coffee. And I even don't like it. Very rarely I drink cappucino with A LOT of milk, so it can be considered a milk with a coffee flavour than a pure coffee

I love drinking tea and when I really need energy, I drin yerba mate, too.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:05 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepGirl View Post
My mom is a coffee junkie and she is hopeless without it... and therefore I have decided not to start drinking coffee. And I even don't like it. Very rarely I drink cappucino with A LOT of milk, so it can be considered a milk with a coffee flavour than a pure coffee

I love drinking tea and when I really need energy, I drin yerba mate, too.
Actually, there's nothing wrong with drinking coffee as long as it doesn't have unpleasant effects on you. Caffeine is contained in tea (it's a bit differently arranged in tea than in coffee, and therefore the effects differ a bit - coffee is quick and tea is slow) and yerba mate, so it's just another form of the same. The only times I've been overdosed with caffeine was when I drank too much tea though. You can remember that, don't ya. :-) This totally depends on the individual.

If you don't like the taste of coffee, it's a clear choice of course. :-)