Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2010, 10:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Ever feel like you're drowning?

Ugh! I work full time teaching special needs preschoolers and now I'm also working on the play-based assessments for incoming 3-5 year olds 2 days a week in addition. I love my job but between that, preparing for my class, faculty and committee meetings, IEP meetings (we call them ARDs in Texas), etc. I get to school by 7:00 and never seem to get out of there before 4:30.

That doesn't sound too bad, except we have afterschool stuff by 5:30 and don't get home until 7:45 and that's EVERY night of the week (karate for me and my son, football for my son and dance for my daughter). And don't forget games on Saturday or extra school stuff like Literacy night, movie night, GT information night...

I MAYBE have 2-3 hours each night, but by them I'm exhausted. I MAYBE have Sunday- but then again, somewhere in there I have to clean house, get homework done, spend some "real" time with the kids and the hubby, run errands, etc... Something's gotta give...

I am SO busy and tired and sick... and I'm tired of being busy and tired and sick.

Sorry.... just had to whine for a moment. If I vent this to you guys, I feel better and no one feels like they have to "fix it." Any ideas to relax are welcome!

Returning from a long scrapping hiatus!
Old 10-22-2010, 10:09 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

Yep, I hear ya.

Monday and Weds are the only days I have any time to work, from 8 am to 1 pm, then I'm gone on MW from then till 7 pm at school or carting kids around.

Tues-Thurs I have to be at school from 8:30-2, then I run around picking up kids and P till 4, make dinner, do homework, etc. We also have cub scouts at 6:30 on Thursdays and or Wednesdays, depending on the week.

Friday I have school from 9-1:30 and after that I'm trying to clean house or finish up products last minute. Then on the weekends, I'm trying to get ahead on my doll orders or work on products for next week, homework, on top of the regular weekend stuff.

You are not alone!
Old 10-22-2010, 10:13 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

you aren't alone...and lucky for me, my 2 little ones aren't in school yet, my teenager ususally can get whatever she needs done before we pick her up from school and my 9 y/oonly really plays baseball...and you know what, I am sooo happy for that.....especially since we both work full time, leave int he morning with all 4 kids by 0600 and don't get home until around 530 pm....so weekends, we don't do much but hang at home.....knida nice not being a social family~ maybe when the 2 little ones are older, we will get out more, but for now, it is just too much for us to do that....
Old 10-22-2010, 10:51 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

I hear ya. I'm skating 2 days a week, the kids do activities out of town once a week, plus whatever they do during the week. I am working at the drug store as a cashier, and with homework, housecleaning, extra work for skating that I have to do at home, I'm completely buried. The to-do list is never ending, especially with Christmas coming, and I have another job interview on Tuesday. Not even sure if I can fit that in. It's insane.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:58 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Yes.. all of the time?

((hugs)) sweetie! I hope things calm down for you soon! Well... for everyone
Old 10-22-2010, 11:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wine...that's my advice.

My FB status earlier this week was one word: drowning. It's been horrible lately. I teach also (college) and there are days where I really wonder if I'll get through the day. My 2yo wore Dora pajamas and winter boots to daycare the other day because I didn't have it in me to fight with her about it. And I'm so far behind at work that this weekend I'm taking my kids into the office and setting them up with a movie on my laptop and popcorn (they'll be thrilled with the adventure of it all) so I can get some work done, and hopefully feel somewhat human next week.

Hang in there!
Old 10-23-2010, 05:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

*BIG SIGH....* YES! I can definitely sympathize with you (all of you). Working full time and being 'everything to everyone' is utterly exhausting. ((hugs))
Old 10-23-2010, 06:59 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I second the wine unfortunately it makes my sinuses go crazy lately. Any suggestions for that?

Just wanted to say that you are AWESOME to work with children with special needs. My 12-year old has autism and I know it's not an easy job so thank you and big hugs to you!!!!!

Old 10-23-2010, 09:58 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks Kim- I definitely do it for the kids, it's all the other "stuff" that makes it tough.

And thanks ladies... not that I'm glad anyone else feels this way, but it's nice to know I'm not alone. Sometimes I just feel like I'm barely making it and want to find that Supermom cape.

Returning from a long scrapping hiatus!
Old 10-23-2010, 10:09 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I totally hear you. I teach a class for students with emotional disabilities and get to school around 7:30 and work until about 5:30 everyday. Then by the time I have run any personal or family errands and I get home I only have about 45 minutes to spend with my own child. Sigh. It has been really hard this year being in a new state trying to learn a new school & not having that support system we had before we moved. Sigh again. Totally drowning every. single. day.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:58 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

You know what I never heard in your whine (and a very very well deserved whine at that - I'd fall apart under that much stuff to do!), You never said what your husband is doing. Is he doing extra curricular activities with the kids. Is he cooking meals. Is he cleaning house at your side. I never heard the partnership aspect of marriage! If he can't help, and you can't afford some cleaning help, then maybe it's time to see what you can drop from your life before YOU drop.

Smiles,
Tracey
Old 10-23-2010, 11:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Umm I think most of us feel like that at least sometimes. Hang in there Steph!!
Old 10-23-2010, 11:36 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
*BIG SIGH....* YES! I can definitely sympathize with you (all of you). Working full time and being 'everything to everyone' is utterly exhausting. ((hugs))
Yes, I can DEF relate and am going through this myself right now.

I am a preschool teacher and have been very unhappy the past few months in my job. I have A LOT of behaviours in my room and am beginning to rethink things and maybe looking into a career change. I have two of my own children who are 12 and 9 and I am SO burnt out when I come home at the end of my 8 hour day that I have no energy for them... nor do I want to be around any children more times than not... which is sad and not good for a mother to say...kwim?? So I need to prioritize.... and my kids def. need to come first....

Guesting for Traci Reed

•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•
Old 10-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I totally hear ya!! I have been on a cleaning spree since watching Hoarders this season and there are days I feel like I'm drowning in stuff. Then the emotional baggage of stuff going on right now, I can barely take a moment to breathe.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:52 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti View Post
Yes, I can DEF relate and am going through this myself right now.

I am a preschool teacher and have been very unhappy the past few months in my job. I have A LOT of behaviours in my room and am beginning to rethink things and maybe looking into a career change. I have two of my own children who are 12 and 9 and I am SO burnt out when I come home at the end of my 8 hour day that I have no energy for them... nor do I want to be around any children more times than not... which is sad and not good for a mother to say...kwim?? So I need to prioritize.... and my kids def. need to come first....
This is my problem. I get so burnt out at skating, I am tired of dealing with other kids and their parents. The drama is ridiculous. When I get home, I just want to put my kids in bed, and it's a horrible way to feel. I have been trying to keep the skating thing at an arms length so I can stay devoted to my kids. Money is nice, but I don't want my kids to hate me at the end of the day. I made a bad decision by choosing to go back there, but for me, there is light at the end of the tunnel, April 2, 2011. LOL
Old 10-24-2010, 07:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I feel like that all the time, I feel awful moaning about it though as I don't even work, so staying at home and doing everything should be easier for me, but it's just not! OH goes to work and thinks that I have to do everything in the house, he doesn't even move his dishes after eating, it's all left to me! The kids are SO demanding and can't even sit down quietly for 5 mins without fighting so I'm always trying to keep them sorted! My head hurts and I feel like screaming but I just have to plod along! Ugh!!!

((((hugs to everyone))))
Old 10-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemma View Post
The kids are SO demanding and can't even sit down quietly for 5 mins without fighting so I'm always trying to keep them sorted! My head hurts and I feel like screaming but I just have to plod along! Ugh!!!

((((hugs to everyone))))
this happen to me this week when I had to take a week off of work {because I had no daycare} and I was at home with a 3 and 4 y/o!!! Not to mention 2 of the days I took them out and about they showed their BUTTS!!!!!!!! And my DH has the nerve to say "well I got up at 0530 and went to work everyday"...hell, I would have rather gone to work and he could've stayed at home!!!
Old 10-24-2010, 03:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thank you so much for saying that Angie! Even now with my youngest in part day preschool I feel overwhelmed. And I feel like the working moms are looking at me and saying "what the heck does she do all day, what an easy life!" I have loved staying at home with my kiddos and cannot imagine how we could have done it with Kyle's consecutive colds/ear infections/sickes. But I know a lot of you do because you have to, or have an important job (teacher, engineer, whatever) that drives you. I just find myself over-volunteering for stuff (make goodie bags, help out in class, take team photos, volunteer at church, etc) and I am completely overwhelmed with all my good intentions!

Seriously I think we as women are always hardest on ourselves, and I don't know how to stop that! Plus we have so many options for such great and wonderful stuff to do that our moms and grandmas didn't have! Its a blessing and a curse!

And can we really cram anything else into the school year? I always laugh when people are like "oh everyone is busy this summer with traveling (which is true to a point), we'll just wait until school starts to start back with x". Then school starts and the x's multiply and we are living in our car driving here and there!

I also agree that if you are working outside of the home...household chores are a shared responsibility! Maybe a family meeting on what needs to be shared is in order for more sanity in all your lives!
Old 10-25-2010, 12:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
I couldn't have said it better than this.

Yes, I feel like I never have enough time to get everything done that I need to get done, and it is usually my house that suffers.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:58 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

I am so sorry Stephanie!! I have no idea how you mommies that work do everything...you all are my HERO'S!!! I feel like that everyday and I can't imagine trying yo hold down ever a part time job let alone a full time job!!!

I have no advise...can't even imagine what you all go through but I wanted to give you all big giant HUGS!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow