Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2011, 11:23 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Help-How do you prep your photos? And layouts?

I'm the worst and I want to get better! I just take my photos as they are, scrap them (in 3600x3600 tif), then save for web to make them 600x600 jpg and under 150kb and that's it. No flattening, no unsharp masks, and I'm tired of them looking so blah... I want to be more of an "artist" like many of your ladies! I did just blame the old crummy point-and-shoot camera, but I could do more to compensate, you know?

So I want to know what do you do to prep your photos before scrapping? Do many of you use presets or actions?

And then when you're done scrapping, what do you do to prep your layouts from their original 3600x3600 format for uploading online?

Thanks for any help!

Returning from a long scrapping hiatus!
Old 01-30-2011, 11:37 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I use a point and shoot, too. I'm by no means an expert photo editor, but in the last few months I've started doing a little more processing and it has made a big difference.

My favorite super-quick processing is to use the Elements Color Poppers Actions from My 4 Hens. (Don't know why she named it that, since it makes it sound like it's for PSE only.) I use the color pop primer on most photos, lower the opacity if it gets too bright, flatten, then run a color pop action from the set. About 90% of my photos need either Pretty Color or Rosy color, often with the opacity of that layer reduced. Anything with a close up of the eyes also gets an eye pop the way Janet Phillips shared in a post on The Daily Digi.

For layouts, I flatten, shrink for web by using the resize image command, then filter/sharpen/sharpen on the default settings. To get it under 150 I play with the quality when I save. I use CS3, so I've written all that as an action so I just click play, then everything happens automatically except naming it and adjusting the quality.

Last edited by rach3975; 01-30-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I use Lightroom to prep most of my photos, importing & editing them in bulk, making all the changes and applying presets there & then exporting them to an 'edited' folder as .jpgs. Then I use those for scrapping

But if I haven't had a chance to do all that first, I drag the ones I want into PSPX2 and adjust the levels, noise, and white balance & whatever effects I want. Sometimes I do unsharp mask sometimes not
Old 01-30-2011, 12:02 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I use lots of actions and presets on my photos too. I generally find that my photos need a little exposure bump which I can get from an action or from Lightroom. I also generally use a slight color pop action on them.

My steps for saving the LO for the web are to duplicate my .jpeg of the original LO. Then I run an unsharp mask of 50 % with a radius of 1.0 and a threshold of 0. (I will play with it if it doesn't look right). Then I either increase the saturation slightly or I will duplicate the layer and use a soft light blending mode on that second layer set at about 15 to 20 percent, then flatten. After all of that is done, I resize and save to web.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I rarely use actions on my photos, I mostly play with the curves and the light balance and just tweak it to what I like. I'm pretty much either a black-and-white or popped-color kinda gal, so rarely am I looking for an effect other than that.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:34 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hmlentz

I do more with my photos than with my LO's. But I hate to spend a lot of time on it cause I just don't have time to sit around doing that- or more likely the attention span. So I use PW's free action sets. I use boost on almost everything, but it makes the pictures a little darker so if my pic. needs more light I use the Fresh and Colorful. Boost is my fav. though. It pops the color, it sharpens and makes them looks so nice. If I forgot to set my WB correctly I will use her warmer/cooler action to make the pic look better. There's tons more in her two sets but those are my main go to choices. I flatten LO's and resize for web. Probably should do more there...
Old 01-30-2011, 01:00 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I play with the levels and color until I get it the way I want it. I also have photo effects which I sometimes use. Oh I also will duplicate my photo layer and use the layer effects to change how it looks

On my layouts I flatten, use sharpen or unsharp mask on it, save it for my fullsized version, then resize to 72dpi (or ppi?) and 600x600, then save as web jpg moving the slider to a point where it is under 150k. Thats it.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 01-30-2011, 01:41 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I haven't done the class yet, but my holiday present to myself was a self paced Jessica Sprague photo editing class.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:50 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I don't do anything special to my layouts. For my photos I play a little with contrast and colour till I am satisfied enough. I am not a photographer and I scrap for relaxation. They don't have to be more than OK to me.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm an action freak - I love them all! I use all of TRA's actions, some from Nicole Van, Pioneer Woman had some freebies that I like, MCP has amazing eye actions and I just recently picked up some from Paint the Moon.

I love playing with my photos!

Once I'm done my layout, I merge visible layers (what's the difference between that and flattening?), I resize and sharpen for web and then I optimize before saving.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:22 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I like MY 4 Hens actions!!! my favorite is Rust (for B&W} and I use some of her color pop actions as well...

I learned this trick for my pages:

Flatten
Duplicate Layer
Add Filter->High Pass
Layer -> Layer Style ->Blending Opitions -> Linear Light
Faltten Image
Hue/Saturation-> Saturation anywhere between 6-10
Flatten Image
Save as full size Jpeg and web size Jpeg

thanks to Debra{4noisyboys} for sharing this tip with me and BTW my LO" s that I have had printed using this technique look AMAZING!!!!
Old 01-30-2011, 02:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Editing photos, when I first upload them I edit them in Lightroom so I can easily do batch edits then fine tune if needed and leave them at that. I do individual extra editing for each photo for a layout though.

When I go to save a layout for web I first run an action that duplicates the window, merges all layers, duplicates that, runs high pass at soft light 40% opacity, the resizes to 600x600 at 72 dpi, then sharpens the high pass once. Depending on the layout I either just merge the two layers then or I might lower the high pass opacity some more. After I've merged it I do crop around the edge because if bits of your elements and papers are running off the side it can increase your file size if there is a lot.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 01-30-2011, 02:52 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I did not know this!! I usually do merge visible which I think gets rid of the excess that may run over the edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaTrish View Post
After I've merged it I do crop around the edge because if bits of your elements and papers are running off the side it can increase your file size if there is a lot.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 01-30-2011, 02:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

See I've always just done select similar layers then merged so maybe that's why mine still show up as being there if off the edges.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:57 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

OK- so who has suggestions for the BEST photo editing classes? Does it make a big difference to edit photos in Lightroom vs. Photoshop?
Old 01-30-2011, 03:02 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aly321 View Post
OK- so who has suggestions for the BEST photo editing classes? Does it make a big difference to edit photos in Lightroom vs. Photoshop?
Classes I dunno.
Lightroom vs Photoshop... I can do more in Photoshop. But what I like most about Lightoom is that it's so much easier to apply the same edit to photos over and over without having to go through the hassle of making actions if it's a good general type edit you know you could use again.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:08 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aly321 View Post
I loved the Jessica Sprague photo editing classes. She is a great teacher & makes it easy to follow the steps for doing basic editing like a levels adjustment layer that will make a big difference on your photos. I also like that she does the class for PSE & PS since I have used both.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I usually just do a color correct, correct any lighting issues and levels and then bump the contrast.

For sepia pics I actually convert to b&w and boost the contrast and duplicate the layer... in the duplicated layer I convert to sepia and then set the opacity to 50%... I like that a bit better than true b&w or sepia

In the same way I'll play with color to try to match a kit, by converting the layers and then playing with the opacity until I get it right.

some great free actions though are PW's actions and there are some great ones at CoffeeShop blog too... While I like how fast actions are, I always find myself doing tons of tweaking even with them.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ditto what Trish said about applying edits in LR to batches of photos - much easier in LR than photoshop/elements.

Stephanie - THE most important thing is to make sure each one is properly exposed! this is soooo easy to fix and can be done using LR (if you have it) or using the ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) editor on PSE.

When you open your photos, do file-open as - and select "camera raw" in the open as drop down box at the bottom. then select your .jpg file and open it. ACR works even on .jpg files!! There's a collection of sliders - just use the exposure slider and slide it over to the right until your histogram looks right.

You want the "graph" part of your histogram to be just kissing the wall on the right. If you see the graph start to climb that wall, it means that you have overexposed some areas, causing them to be blown out (they will lose all detail, most commonly bright areas like sky/skin). Sometimes I do let the sky blow out if it means I'm getting proper exposure on a face though.

You'll be AMAZED at what a difference fixing exposure makes on a photo! everything else you do is gravy!!

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 01-30-2011, 09:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlliJ2008 View Post
I loved the Jessica Sprague photo editing classes. She is a great teacher & makes it easy to follow the steps for doing basic editing like a levels adjustment layer that will make a big difference on your photos. I also like that she does the class for PSE & PS since I have used both.
I can second this - it was a great class!!
Old 01-30-2011, 09:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thank you all SO much... so many different ideas for me to try and pay with. I'm thinking I should upgrade my camera and my ancient PSE 5 to help as well Keep the ideas coming... photo editing classes are a great idea too.

Returning from a long scrapping hiatus!
Old 01-30-2011, 10:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use Lightroom to prep my photos and I hoard all the freebie actions I can find from M4H, PTM, MCP,etc. There are also tons of Lightroom presets from all over, but check out Coffeeshop Blog

I use an ancient P&S too, so I rely on LR and actions a lot. I also play around with photo textures (bought from Emily Powers before and there are tons of freebies too).

To sharpen my pages, I use an action made by a friend but basically it flattens the TIFF, puts an unsharp mask, and then saves for web in PS
Old 01-31-2011, 12:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlliJ2008 View Post
I loved her editing class too. It's one of the best things I've done and has helped my pages a TON! Better pictures = better pages, IMO. Totally worth the $ for me!
Old 01-31-2011, 01:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I process all my photos in LR. Sometimes just doing basic color/exposure/bright/contrast correcting. Sometimes I'll apply a preset or convert to BW. Depending on the photo.

I still use PSE5 for my LO's.

Once I have everything just how I like it, I save for web like this:
File> Duplicate, x merge all layers
resize to 600px @ 72dpi
unsharp mask 25, 2, 1
Save for Web- @ 150kbs
Old 01-31-2011, 01:26 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by schock77 View Post
I'm thinking I should upgrade my camera and my ancient PSE 5 to help as well ...
Steph ... one thing, er, two things... and this is from this nutball's experience... the photos coming out of the camera are a direct representation of the skill of the one taking the photo, not necessarily the ability of the camera. Umm, getting a new camera really didn't help my photos. Actually reading The Manual and a few photography books from the library (the dummy ones actually) helped Tremendously.

PSE - you get the educator discount? and you will more than likely want to post process your much improved photos taken with your new skillz using actions and the like - and it works soooo much better in Photoshop. Really. I still have both, and I haven't even attempted to scrap in CS5 yet, but I use it exclusively to doctor all my photos with actions, adjust lighting, etc. What you can do there that PSE, any version, cannot - wow.

In hindsight, I should likely have stopped at PSE 6 and jumped directly to Photoshop.

Last edited by NettieB; 01-31-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun69 View Post
I like MY 4 Hens actions!!! my favorite is Rust (for B&W} and I use some of her color pop actions as well...

I learned this trick for my pages:

Flatten
Duplicate Layer
Add Filter->High Pass
Layer -> Layer Style ->Blending Opitions -> Linear Light
Faltten Image
Hue/Saturation-> Saturation anywhere between 6-10
Flatten Image
Save as full size Jpeg and web size Jpeg

thanks to Debra{4noisyboys} for sharing this tip with me and BTW my LO" s that I have had printed using this technique look AMAZING!!!!
I am so trying this on my layouts now! This thread makes me want Lightroom.

For photos, I often use photos SOOC, but I will use an action, PW's actions are awesome, I especially love the black and white ones. And my4hens are the other ones I use. I will sometimes put a filter on there to get some hues right and mess with curves and levels to get my lighting better. And once in a great while use a layer mask. I will say I do like my photos when I process them, but I'm usually lazy.

For layouts, I save the TIFF, then flatten, unsharp Mask (85,1,4) and then save for web.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:47 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I am a huge fan of My 4 Hens. I use her actions on every LO I do. I noticed a big improvement when I started doing that. As far as saving for web, I don't know, maybe its cause I use PSP, but I do not like the way unsharpening looks on it. It seems fake then. So I just flatten and resize.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I do use some of the actions from M4H. They're my favorite actions.

I use a lot of presets in Lightroom. My favorites are from Christian O'Dell. I think I use his 90% of the time. Sometimes I just adjust lighting in photoshop too. I always do something though. Sometimes I want a lot of contrast...other times I want an exposure pop...just kind of depends on the look I'm going for.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4noisyboys View Post
I use a lot of presets in Lightroom. My favorites are from Christian O'Dell. I think I use his 90% of the time. Sometimes I just adjust lighting in photoshop too. I always do something though. Sometimes I want a lot of contrast...other times I want an exposure pop...just kind of depends on the look I'm going for.
Debra, I LOVE Christian's as well! Totally worth the price, especially his last set. There's a gadjillion B&W and Color presets there that look awesome on my photos
Old 02-01-2011, 12:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshobbes View Post
Debra, I LOVE Christian's as well! Totally worth the price, especially his last set. There's a gadjillion B&W and Color presets there that look awesome on my photos
I have a ton of free presets, a few others I've paid for, but I agree with you Lex....his are so worth the price! I'm sure I bought them when there was a sale going on

oh...and I just went and looked, and set 3 is the one I use the most of too. I bought set 2 as well, and if I can't find something from set 3...I'll find what I'm looking for in set 2!

Last edited by 4noisyboys; 02-01-2011 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i always use actions. i just love playing with different effects on photos. i have a few of my4hens actions, paint the moon and coffeeshop actions; mostly freebies. I use PSE 8 and shoot with Canon Rebel Xt (yes its like 5 yrs od but still works. plus i cant afford to upgrade lol) i always edit my photos first. i pick my background paper from the kit and plop my photo down. when i'm done i use save for web and make it 600x600 150kb or whatever. i dont sharpen my pages. i know some do but i just never have.