Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2012, 10:48 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Breastfeeding Question

Does anyone know how long after I eat a food that I can tell by the baby's behavior if it's having an effect on her?

Until we moved to the Philippines three weeks ago, she was having these crying fits where she'd cramp her legs up and scream, and I know her belly was hurting. But about ten days after we moved, it just stopped, praise the Lord. The only difference in my diet has been that I've not had dairy, but it's not like the first day here I went without dairy (which I did) and bam! she stopped screaming (she did not). But I'm wondering if it took a while to get it out of my/her system. I don't know.

She's been doing great the last two weeks, not having a fit at all. Only yesterday I had some milk in my smoothie and some yogurt, and she spent like 3 hours tonight crying in pain. Do you think it's related? I'd love to know that if I avoid dairy entirely, my baby won't cry anymore, of course, but I don't know what the time frame is for my food to effect the baby. Anybody know?
Old 08-04-2012, 10:50 AM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

I'd say it's definitely related.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Dairy takes 2 weeks to get out of your system.

I had one who was allergic to dairy and when I ate it he had blood in his stool.

I'd go completely dairy free while nursing her. It's not that hard, I found other ways to satisfy those cravings, but boy did I miss cheese
Old 08-04-2012, 10:57 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

I think it depends on the food and your body but anywhere from 2-6 hours is probably a safe bet from time of consumption to showing up in your milk. It definitely sounds like the dairy/screaming fits are related.

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 08-04-2012, 11:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would definitely say it sounds related. I'd for sure try to continue no dairy.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:16 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

That sounds exactly like my DD as an infant. I took her to a gastro doc and he said it was dairy. I went off of dairy 100% and it helped tremendously. She was still pretty colicky, though. I had to go off of soy for a week and that cleared her problems. No dairy and no soy. It was very hard to go no soy... So I did go back to it gradually and she seemed fine.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yep, my Ben was like this as a baby. Thankfully he outgrew it by about 6ish months, so I only had to be off dairy for that long and it was HARD but worth it for him to be a happy little dude. Good luck! It's so hard not knowing what exactly the problem is, but I'd totally say it's a milk protein issue and she'll probably outgrow it before TOO too long.

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 08-04-2012, 03:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yep, my boys were like this too. I don't know the exact time frame to get out of your system, but I would say the dairy and screaming fits are totally related. I just switched to rice milk and then avoided all other dairy and they were fine. Like others have said, my boys would scream, but they would also have stringy stools with blood in them. Good luck -- it's not easy if you really love dairy, but it is worth it when the kiddos don't have tummy aches!
Old 08-04-2012, 03:59 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Just as an FYI, DD never had blood in her stool. She had more of an intolerance than allergy. To this day she has a "load" that she can tolerate before getting gassy/uncomfortable. It's finding that load that's tricky. She drank soymilk after I weaned her (18 months) and was touch-and-go about dairy until she was 2-ish. Yogurt was always ok, and a little cheese, but milk upset her.

So, when breastfeeding, you might want to cut out dairy entirely at first. My doctor suggested 1 week minimum to get it out of our systems (hers & mine). Then introduce small amounts back into your diet. Keep a chart of some kind to keep track of what you ate and her fussy moments. The screaming in pain fussy moments. Perhaps you will be able to eat a yogurt in the morning after you nurse her in the A.M. without any problems. Or maybe a sprinkle of cheese on your salad will be fine.

Hope you can find some solution!!!

Old 08-04-2012, 04:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

yep... totally the dairy... and is pretty common actually... my kids always had dairy problems so I've been off of it for almost 4 years now... and anytime I have dairy, I have problems myself now and will always be off dairy now... but I've actually found it very easy to go dairy free... I sometimes miss pizza and stuff like that... but I've been soooo much happier being dairy free and so have my kiddos... and so you know... they usually grow out of it by about a year old
Old 08-04-2012, 06:30 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks, girls! I've lived for the last ten years without good pizza, so it may be worth a little bit of crying to indulge in it occasionally, but otherwise I shall abstain from dairy.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:20 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Good luck, Kellie! I've always wondered about that myself.

So Heather, when you say you are dairy free, does that also mean you don't eat anything that has milk or butter in the ingredients? I imagine lots of products have dairy in them. Like cookies! And what about eggs, do you consider that dairy as well?
I've heard stories before of people going dairy free and feeling so much better afterwards... But it seems like such a hassle to check all the ingredients of everything you buy all the time...
Old 08-05-2012, 08:34 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I totally take it back; even pizza piled thick with bacon isn't worth hurting that poor baby and having to listen to her cry!

I've always heard that dairy is the source of many of our health problems, but I've never been able to live without cereal to see if it helps. ; )
Old 08-05-2012, 09:23 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yep, sounds like dairy!

With on of mine, I went totally dairy free to help her... and did it until she was sitting on her own. Once she was sitting, it was fine (for her)... but her problem wasn't crying, it was spitting up.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Yep, totally dairy free... I use substitutes, almond milk or coconut milk... and I use coconut oil for butter or a vegan spread... it's hard to go out to eat, but many restaurants are starting to get better at eliminating or substituting tho, budget-wise we rarely go out and make everything ourselves

eggs aren't dairy thankfully because I eat a lot of eggs

Kellie, I don't know what kinds of substitutes you have there, hopefully you can find a milk substitute so you can have cereal