Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2012, 07:30 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default first day of school traditions?

I am always so stressed and busy that first week of school...but I want to try and do something special this year. What do you guys do?
Old 08-10-2012, 07:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Welllllll, I push Cheyanne out the door at 7:15 a.m. for the bus then break out a bottle of wine and do a happy dance (Just kidding - at least about the wine part so early in the morning )

I guess the only tradition we have is me badgering her to get a photo before she heads down the driveway.... I do cook her whatever she wants for breakfast that morning and then she knows she's on her own after that. We have traditions the week leading up to back to school, but not so much on the day of. She's too busy with her hair, clothes, and makeup to do much else
Old 08-10-2012, 08:02 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Breakfast at the donut shop and then on a field trip/park while all the public school kids are a school!

It's just about the only day of the year when there aren't really field trips or kids out playing, so we generally have the town to ourselves
Old 08-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My son has only been in school for 2 years and all I've done is take a pic of him the first day and then we take him out to eat for dinner that night.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I make cook breakfast(which I rarely do), then we have to get the first day picture in front of the school. I love doing it in front of the school with how often we move, switch schools I think its a neat way to remember them all. This year my girl starts too so we have to add hair time.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

He gets to pick out an extra special outfit to wear that day and I take a ton of photos of him. This is the first year Daddy has to work on his first day of school so I'm thinking we'll try for an extra special dinner.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We do a "last day of summer" celebration where we make a big deal about doing some favorite activities for the last time (like swimming and a picnic), and that night we have a special dessert after packing their backpacks. In the morning there isn't time for much, so we have rainbow pancakes for breakfast (pancakes with sprinkles and cool whip or purchased Aunt Jemima Confetti pancakes) and take a picture.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Lots of pictures!!!

We take our annual "hand on the door knob" picture on the first day (started in preschool) and a picture of him holding a sign that says "First Day of ______" and the date (which I need to make before my surgery). Then I snap pictures like crazy walking to school (we are only 10 houses from the school) and get a picture of him standing in line. I will try and get a picture of him and his teacher too!!

Special breakfast and then we usually go out for lunch/dinner (this is his first year all day) but since it will only be a week since my sugery we will probably order pizza at eat at home!!
Old 08-10-2012, 10:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

loving these ideas...my oldest starts kindergarten in a few weeks. Pancakes sound like something she would love. And of course we will do a picture or 2!

Old 08-11-2012, 03:45 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My dd usually gets a new outfit to start school and we rise early enough to have time to do a special hair-do. Two braids is already special to a girl who always wants to carry her hair loose I take a 'first-day-of-school' photo and then we're off. This year my boy will be joining her so it'll be a little more stressful. Other than that, there's not much time left to do anything special!
Old 08-11-2012, 04:04 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I remember I usually got a new outfit to wear on my first day of school, so I'll do that with my kidlet when he starts. And of course pictures The rest I'll have to decide in about 2 yrs time!

Pouring my creative self into perfection made by Ju Kneipp
Old 08-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

I take their picture before school and at school and with their teachers. We try to go out to dinner but not sure that will happen this year with the move and all.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:17 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

the night before we have him answer these questions...

then there are the photos the morning of at the house holding a sign with that grade level and pics at school...
last year...

after school I usually have a treat waiting for him in the car when I pick him up

Old 08-12-2012, 09:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin View Post
Breakfast at the donut shop and then on a field trip/park while all the public school kids are a school!

It's just about the only day of the year when there aren't really field trips or kids out playing, so we generally have the town to ourselves
Oh that's right. I remember reading that on your blog one year and I thought it was the coolest.

Love all of these ideas and surprised by how many have a special dinner. I guess it never occurred to do something at the end of the day. Usually just new outfit and maybe special breakfast.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:39 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We do our annual set of pictures, one with the backpack on in the yard, one with the backpack off in the yard, one in front of the school sign, one with their teacher. For my middle schooler I just do a pic or two in the front yard before I drive her to the bus stop.

We do some before school gets back traditions. We always make a gift to take to teacher (elementary school) on meet the teacher day. We take a picture of each kid with all their school supplies spread out on the floor next to their backpack, and lunch box so I can see what all we bought.

I make dinner at home and we sit and eat and talk about their first day back to school. I wish I would have done a survey/questions like Tracy over the years. That would be so cool to see over time!
Old 08-13-2012, 11:12 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to yari

Oh how fun!! I'm going to adopt some of these for our family, like the rainbow pancakes! Fun!! Thanks for sharing everyone!