Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2012, 01:18 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

If anyone is looking for resources for talking to their kids, this tip sheet is one of the best I've seen for younger children. It comes from Autism Speaks and is meant for talking to kids with autism about what happened, but a lot of what is on it is relevant for helping young kids not on the spectrum. For example, it mentions how they may reenact the shooting through play and what you can do to reassure them when they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Billingsley View Post
I didn't dare argue with him or say how a woman would do the same, because I don't want to take away that fragile reassurance that he has.
I was expecting my 9 year old to be scared, and for a few minutes he was. Then we told him that the gunman had killed himself, too, and there was instant relief on his face. If the guy who did this isn't a threat anymore, then there can't be another shooting. Like you, I'm not doing anything to shatter the comfort he finds in that.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was feeling a little better these last couple days until there was a lock-down at our local middle-school (someone claims to have seen a man with a gun), and then a girl at our high school was, tragically, hit by a car crossing the street and killed on Wednesday. Now I am freaked to let the kids out of my sight again. I just want to hunker down for Christmas, lock the doors and snuggle. I'm sure they'll put up with that for about 3 minutes.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My 7 and 5 year olds thankfully have managed not to hear about it. I'm thankful for that.

This happened close to where I live (about 45 minute drive) and it's dominated the news cycle here. I just hurt so much for the families and hope that we never have to go through this again.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've caught little bits here and there. The one thought that's been on my mind is how ruthlessly unfair and tragic it is for parents to outlive their children--even the parents of the adults. It hurts my heart.