Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2013, 07:10 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default in need of advice

So, as I am sure some of you saw on Facebook, I got bitten by a neighbourhood dog this week. It was pretty bad but it is healing well, and isn't causing me too much trouble. physically...though I am quite shaken up. I was partially liable for the incident because... well I really had to pee so I tried to take a shortcut through a neighbours yard and didn't know they had an aggressive dog. I came around a corner face to face with a very angry dog, and when I turned to leave he bit me on the leg.

The advice I need now is how to approach the owners in way that makes them understand that that dog is too aggressive to be just chained outside when they are at work. Through other neighbours I have found out that this isn't the first time he as bitten someone, and I just keep thinking about what would happen if a child wandered in the yard, or if he managed to get loose.

Part of me wants to take legal action to drive home to them that this dog is a problem. The fact that the dog was chained outside again the very next day tells me that they don't see a problem with the animal at all. I did make a police report, but I didn't hear from the police after the report and don't think any action is being taken

Has anyone dealt with something like this or have any advice for me?

Last edited by Jenn Barrette; 05-11-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:18 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I don't have any advice, but I agree that it's only a matter of time until someone is seriously injured. Good luck!
Old 05-11-2013, 07:18 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

One idea that I had is to get a sort of petition going from neighbours, just in the 2 square blocks around our houses I can think of 20+ kids that live in that small area...and I think that pressure from the neighbourhood for them to keep the dog fenced in at least might help, but that seems too much like bullying them to me. I don't know what to do, I just would feel horrible if the dog bite someone else and I could have done something to prevent it
Old 05-11-2013, 07:58 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

How did the owners seem after what happened? Are they the type to have a civil discussion about what needs to be done?
Old 05-11-2013, 08:25 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

My husband talked to them well I was at the hospital getting it checked out. He said they seemed apologetic, but really seemed more concerned about litigation than worried about their dogs behaviour.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:31 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

It looks like they could at least put signs up to warm people of an aggressive dog.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Maybe you could offer to help them make an awesomely designed sign to put up in their yard.

Is there a fence at all?
Old 05-11-2013, 08:39 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Ok, so... Here's the thing. Yes, you technically trespassed BUT they should have had a "Do not trespass" or "BAD DOG" sign up at their side yard or something. It's absolutely necessary that they have SOME warning if they are not going to fence in the dog. If it seems like they are worried about litigation, I would draft up a letter citing some local laws regarding dogs as well as cases from dog bites to children that resulted in the dog being put down, or owners being charged with some fault. Mail it to them with a personal note about your bite and how you will take action against them (threaten them) if you do not see any effort on their part to protect kids in the neighborhood.

There's really nothing else I think you can do. But, someone else might know...

Old 05-11-2013, 08:41 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Jenn, I'm sorry this happened to you. I don't know how homeowners insurance works in ON, Canada, but it's probably worth looking into, if you haven't already. In the US, the dog owner's insurance typically covers this type of incident and it wouldn't go straight to litigation unless you couldn't settle the claim with the insurance company. When I was a child, a friend and I went into a fenced yard of one our neighbors to pet a dog we'd petted with the owner present the day before and he mauled my friend (just cm's from her jugular). She still has scars all over her face.

I think a frank conversation about the dangerousness of their dog is definitely in order. Your concerns are very valid.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:42 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Jenn, I'm sorry this happened to you. I don't know how homeowners insurance works in ON, Canada, but it's probably worth looking into, if you haven't already. In the US, the dog owner's insurance typically covers this type of incident and it wouldn't go straight to litigation unless you couldn't settle the claim with the insurance company. When I was a child, a friend and I went into a fenced yard of one our neighbors to pet a dog we'd petted with the owner present the day before and he mauled my friend (just cm's from her jugular). She still has scars all over her face.

I think a frank conversation about the dangerousness of their dog is definitely in order. Your concerns are very valid.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:43 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

As much as it stinks I agree you may have to get a little forceful with them. If that bite had been on a small child it would have been much much worse.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:43 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

No fence at all, and they have a deck that the dog can rest on...so you don't even see the dog until it is too late.

Brook, I think you are right. A fence or obvious sign would help, but from what I hear from neighbours if they are outside with the dog, he isn't even on a lease O_o It is like they just don't get it.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:49 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I agree with Sheri, that a conversation is needed. Just express your concern to them as you have here to us. It is a very reasonable one. And let them know that you know they want to protect the neighborhood children just as much as you do as well as protect themselves from liability and their dog from lethal injection. Suggest that they may need to invest in a dog run for their pet while they are gone and some signs for their property. If that doesn't work, then you have to take the next step whatever that is.

So sorry about your leg.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Since this is the 2nd (at least that you know of) time this has happened, you'd think the owners would want to do something with the dog! As someone who has been bit by a dog (I was 2 - it was my own dog and I got 29 stitches on my head) I would really want to see that dog put down. It isn't safe for the neighborhood.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:52 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn Barrette View Post
No fence at all, and they have a deck that the dog can rest on...so you don't even see the dog until it is too late.

Brook, I think you are right. A fence or obvious sign would help, but from what I hear from neighbours if they are outside with the dog, he isn't even on a lease O_o It is like they just don't get it.
Well, around here there are laws that dogs must be leashed... So even that can be held against them. You need to be forceful, I really believe that it has to get ugly with some people to make them do the right thing. My neighbor had a bull dog that acted aggressively. He was rarely leashed and would bark, growl and chase the kids when he was a puppy... they thought it was 'cute'. once he got full sized, it was a problem. He started getting out of their yard all the time... While they were home, even! He chased me for a long time one day and I was sure he was going to attack me. I kindly told them their dog tried to attack me and to make sure he was in the yard better because it could have been my kids.

He did the same thing to another neighbor a few days later, and that neighbor told the owner he was going to f'ing kill their f'ing dog if he ever saw it wandering outside again. I believe him, too, the guy is strange... LOL. Well... I think they believed him, too. They moved one month later!

Old 05-11-2013, 08:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

That's scary, they definitely need a sign up at the very least. I just keep thinking, what if a neighborhood kids' ball goes in the yard and they go to get it.. Scary!
When my brother was about 12, he was on his paper route and got attacked by a dog (bit about 5 times!) luckily he could run past the dog who was on a chain. Apparently the same dog attacked a mailman before he attacked my brother, so they were ordered to have him put down. I wish I had some advice but I don't (besides looking into local laws on the subject..)

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!

Last edited by rachaelsscraps; 05-11-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have no clue about the laws there. It's not enough for them to be polite they need to be receptive to doing something. If this isn't the first incident they really are culpable. That dog needs to be fenced at minimum, I can't believe they let it off leash in an open area with this behavior. Do you have animal control there? I'm not sure what my advice is but some change is definitely in order before someone gets seriously injured.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Call the police ask to talk to someone that can help you figure out a way to get something done. Tell them that you put a report you haven't been contacted by the police and the dog is still not fenced. Unfortunately here in IL, the dog is fenced and you were trespassing. Of course if you can make a case that this is not the dogs first attack, maybe that can change something.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:28 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to yari

That makes me so upset for you! Grrrr. Couldn't you file a claim against them? Maybe do some sort of signed petition from the neighbors in the neighborhood about the dog?

Old 05-11-2013, 10:38 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Thanks guys, so great ideas here and I will keep continue to do some research on my rights and the laws and bylaws of my area. I really thinking doing something about this is really the only way I will be able to get peace from this.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:15 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

yeah I think you really need to look in to it since this is not the 1st time it has happened. I would actually call the police dept back and see if you can find out if it has ever been reported before (a dog biting) .....I don't know alot about dog laws, but I would think they can only keep them chained for so long as well....
Old 05-11-2013, 11:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well, here I would call animal control. It is a state department that takes care of strays, abandoned or abused dogs and situations like this. Since there is a police report they would send over one of their animal control officers to handle the situation and tell them how to properly retrain their dog. In extreme cases ( which is what I consider this) they would actually take the dog into custody and have a hearing. Then it would be decided what to do about the dog.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just wanted to stop in and say that I'm so sorry to hear about this. I haven't been checking in on FB and I didn't see the picture until today. It breaks my heart to know that this happened to you because I can only imagine how horrible I'd feel. Just wanted to give you a big hug!

Old 05-12-2013, 01:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm a total dog lover and my first though? Anti-freeze. Horrible, I know but something needs to be done. I don't actually recommend that but something needs to be done. They either need a fence or to put him down. He could hurt a child so bad.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:34 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have no advice but dog owners who don't care really irritate me! I hope you're ok.

If my dog even as much as went to bite anyone she'd be gone straight away, it's not worth the risk. I hope the owners do something about it asap, I'd hate to think a neighbourhood kid went in for a ball or something and the dog got them!
Old 05-12-2013, 05:38 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

No advice from me either I'm afraid, but I hope it works out for you!