Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-27-2014, 11:32 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Pediatric eye surgery jitters!

So, I took my little guy to the eye doctor today...

That's Mr. Adorable Pants there with some of his loot.

I took Benji in because he's been using only one of his eyes at a time (usually the left one) while the other eye will float in towards his nose (usually the right one). It was cute at first, but it's gotten worse and it's not going away.

The doctor wants us to go up to All Children's (about 45 mins. away) for a pediatric MRI where he'll be sedated. Eep! That makes me a little nervous. Then, depending on what the MRI says, he may get glasses (which would be adorable!) or he may need surgery! ACK!

Anyone been through this and made it out the other side okay? Hold my hand. I'm rather nervous right now.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:36 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Nicole, my niece had this done like 3 years ago she is 10 now and doing great. Her eye isn't lazy anymore but she does need glasses. They tried a patch and some other stuff b4 opting for the surgery but in the end my sister felt the surgery was the best and it worked great for her.

He's such a cutiee, I wish you both the best

Old 03-27-2014, 11:37 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My friend Amber's daughter, she had a really bad lazy eye and she had it corrected when her daughter was around 4 I think.

Amber comes around here sometimes, maybe she'll see this.

My husband also had eye surgery to correct his lazy eye when he was probably 2. And you can't even tell now, unless he's really tired or been drinking, a lot. LOL! But most people wouldn't be able to tell. Only if you know to look for it.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was one with a lazy eye too. I wore a patch and glasses for 4 years round the clock, then another 4 years of sporadic patching with glasses. I still wear glasses, but my vision is pretty good and my lazy eye is a non issue(unless I'm super tired).
Old 03-27-2014, 11:54 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

((Hugs)) I know how scary and overwhelming it can be to get that news from your doctor!

Ben was diagnosed at 2 with Brown's Syndrome, an uncommon form of strabismus that is sometimes (often?) treated with surgery. (Unlike regular strabismus, there isn't any other treatment for Brown's syndrome. If it worsens and can't be left untreated, then you have to have the surgery.) His eye doctor decided that we didn't need to act immediately and would see what happened as he grew. For 5 years he was followed without worsening, and although they still monitor him he probably won't need the surgery. I hope they're able to treat your little guy with glasses or other less invasive methods, too!

Ben did have surgery to get his tonsils and adenoids removed, and DH and I were pretty worried. But I think the whole thing was a lot harder on us than on him. We made sure to be on top of his giving him his pain meds, so he never felt much pain.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

OMG he's cute! I don't have any experience as far as his condition goes but both my girls had to have procedures where they were put under when they were under the age of two. It's nerve-wracking no matter what, but they were troopers. It was way more stressful for us. I'm sending good thoughts!
Old 03-27-2014, 12:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I had this as a child, too... I had surgery on my right eye when I was around 7 and then my other eye when I was 8. Then, I wouldn't do my exercises to strengthen my eye muscles afterwards, so when I was 10, I had to get glasses... To see me, you wouldn't think I have any problems... if I'm really tired, my right eye will float slightly... only my hubby and my mom notice it... I don't think any of the SSD girls noticed in vegas... haha
Old 03-27-2014, 12:43 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't have any experience in this....but Benji looks so cute in his little glasses. I hope he doesn't have to have surgery.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks everyone! Your stories are all helping to calm my nerves. The doctor wasn't very personable, so I left there feeling rather out of it. Man, it just eats you up inside when something is wrong with your kiddos. Sigh...

Old 03-27-2014, 03:45 PM
PLM

profile gallery

Oh, I can understand you were nervous, but I believ after reading everyone's experiences, you are a bit reassured now. I don't really have experience myself nor in my family, so I have no story to share about it.
I can only say your boy is cute and I am sure the doctors will be able to help me. Children are very resourceful and they heal so fast.
Just give yur boy a big hug now ((hugs from me too!))
Old 03-27-2014, 06:04 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I don't have any experience with this, but wanted to send thoughts and prayers that everything goes smoothly. Big hugs...he is so adorable!!
Old 03-27-2014, 06:30 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Trevor is 9 now and he has a lazy eye. Very bad without his glasses but completely corrected with them on. He is due for another appointment.

Years ago the Dr. said it would probably correct over time. Well it hasn't. We've done patching with no change as well. I'm not looking forward to them saying we need to do the surgery.

DH had a lazy eye and wore glasses/patch for a few years and his went away (he has 20/20 vision now even at 40 & his eye never crosses at all). His aunt however had a lazy eye, had the surgery and it is still crossed. Of course she had the surgery 50+ years ago, so I don't think we can compare!

Hopefully they can fix it with glasses/patching and you won't have to worry about anything other than the MRI. I'm wondering why Trevor was never told to get an MRI?
Old 03-27-2014, 07:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think it's because you have a family history of it. We don't that we know of, so the MRI will be to rule out something more serious... which is why I left the office in a panic. Sigh.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:10 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Hugs, it's hard when your kids go through testing. Lots of P&PT!
Old 03-27-2014, 09:13 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

My oldest had a lazy eye. He was about 18 months when we first took him in. The first doctor we saw wanted to do surgery almost immediately, without trying anything else first. My mother-in-law actually found the doctor we see now, who specialized in pediatric stuff but was not a surgeon (I can't remember what it was actually called). Anyway, we took Jarod to him. We patched for a while, I don't remember how long as it was 12 years ago, and then he got glasses just before he turned two. The patching and glasses corrected it. When he was younger it would be very slightly noticeable when he got really tired, but now at nearly 14, there's no sign he ever had one.

Definitely seek a second opinion if you don't feel comfortable after the MRI and what he says. I know the idea of anesthesia is scary too. Our youngest son had to go under for a CT of his skull when he was just a few weeks old and then again for surgey at almost 3 months.

Best of luck to you guys!
Old 03-27-2014, 09:31 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

Emma was diagnosed with strabismus when she was 2 1/2. They put her in glasses for awhile and it didn't help much. She got picked up for early intervention preschool because all of her fine motor skills were suffering because she just couldn't see because of her eye. She had surgery in May of 2010 (after a couple of years of dealing with avoiding surgery). It was a rough couple of days after the actual surgery, but her dr has been amazed by the progress she has made. She still wears glasses but she only has a prescription in a bifocal (to strengthen the eye she had issues with). He's hoping she'll be completely out of glasses by the time she's 10. Her eye doesn't really cross at all now, except for occasionally when she's reading or looking up close at something and it's not often at all.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

No eye experience here but my son did have a pediatric MRI under sedation and it went perfectly.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:03 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I have not experienced an eye surgery or MRI, but my son was sedated last year. I was very worried because my brother is very sensitive to sedation (and allergic to nearly all painkillers), but Nick did not have any issues at all. He came out of it sleepy, asked to go home and sleep, woke up a few hours later and was fine. Good luck! He's adorable in those little glasses.

Last edited by lovely1m; 03-27-2014 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I remember the sedated MRI when my son was about 4 years old. I know it was tougher on me than it was on him. He was just great for it and just fine afterward. I can second getting another opinion if you're not really comfortable with the one you've received. Even if it's the same treatment option, you might feel more positive about it when it's described by someone else (with a better "bedside" manner).
Old 03-27-2014, 10:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

OH, and the MRI....We had a problem with Emma and the sedation meds. She wound up having to have like 3 times what a "normal" kid would have to have and she didn't even stay sedated through the whole MRI. She didn't have a problem with the actual meds though.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We just had an eye doctor come to my son' s school to do a vision screening. In addition to the typical eye exam, the doctor specialized in treatment plans called 'Vision Therapy'. In addition to typical optometry stuff, she had an entire facility dedicated to vision therapy. Patients would visit the therapy office once a week and then do 'homework' at home.

Here's a description:
http://www.childrensvision.com/therapy.htm

Depending on what the eye doctor/surgeon says, (if it were me) I would want to check with someone who had a vision therapy specialty to see if it could be helpful before I went down the surgery route. Maybe you could find one in your area.

Sending you lots of positive thoughts!
Old 03-28-2014, 02:34 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristijoy View Post
We just had an eye doctor come to my son' s school to do a vision screening. In addition to the typical eye exam, the doctor specialized in treatment plans called 'Vision Therapy'. In addition to typical optometry stuff, she had an entire facility dedicated to vision therapy. Patients would visit the therapy office once a week and then do 'homework' at home.

Here's a description:
http://www.childrensvision.com/therapy.htm

Depending on what the eye doctor/surgeon says, (if it were me) I would want to check with someone who had a vision therapy specialty to see if it could be helpful before I went down the surgery route. Maybe you could find one in your area.

Sending you lots of positive thoughts!
Yes! This is what I was trying to think of in my last post. Our doc is trained in this as well.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thank you so much! I am actually going to look into that and see if I can't get an appointment with someone trained in vision therapy for a 2nd opinion--hopefully next week.