Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to yari
Default Induction vs. Natural Labor

Which do you prefer?

Old 06-03-2010, 11:57 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I prefer natural labor - pitocin contractions hurt a lot more than regular contractions. That being said - if your body is "almost there" induction isn't too bad.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

of my four labors, being induced was the hardest (my princess was 10 days late). My body had an adverse reaction, as they did the gel insert & IV, my body went into shock and they had to get the gel out (not so easy, let me tell you!!).
All three of my boys, labor started on it's on (oldest was 2 days late, middle was 5 days late, youngest was 10 days early). Don't get me wrong, labor isn't fun, but it was better with the boys than my induction.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hmm, I was induced w/ my first two due to the fact that my first was big (9.1 @ 38 wks.) and I was progressing, and we wanted to avoid a c-section. I went into natural labor w/ my 3rd. I was clueless about going into labor on my own, but was glad I got to experience it once at least.

Don't think that answered your question. Well, are you getting an epidural? If so, and if your body is progressing on it's own a little (you're dilating, effaced, etc.) I think there is nothing wrong at all w/ inducing. I had no problems w/ either time I was induced (both times @ 38 wks.). But I had a friend who was just not ready and her doctor wanted to induce (boo!). She ended up having a really terrible labor experience which resulted in a c-section.

Hope that helps some!

My Blog -- Three 4 Me

Proudly creating for Zoe Pearn
Old 06-03-2010, 12:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

natural labor. .... I totally reccomend watching "The Business of Being Born" even if you don't agree with home birth, there is a lot of information that can make you more aware when you birth in a hospital. One topic was about interventions and how they create a spiral effect.

If I get to have baby #3 I will likey stay away from the hospital as long as possible.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well I have only been induced so I don't know what the difference would be. Both of my babies were giant and late so I needed some help
Old 06-03-2010, 12:15 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Hmm... IMO, I would say natural... unless it's for health reasons for you or the baby that he/she needs to come out now... I'd wait until it comes naturally. Your body knows how long the child needs to be in there... it annoys me when you hear about celebrities scheduling births because it fits into their schedules better or because they don't want stretching or some other dumb reason...
Old 06-03-2010, 12:19 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

I had 3 babies and I had experiences both ways. I would NEVER choose induction over natural for ME.

My first was a week late. My water broke, and I had no contractions for over 24 hours, so they induced. It was the most traumatic thing I've ever experienced, I had to have forceps applied 4x and both myself and Benjamin were in hard shape for a long time afterwards. He was 9 pounds 14 ounces.

My second was all natural. She was almost 3 weeks early, but was still 8 pounds 2 oz. It was a wonderful experience, the labor went fairly quickly once it got going. No pain medication.

My third baby was 9 pounds 12 oz and I had her all natural as well. She was 10 days late. No pain medication.

The problem I had with induction wasn't so much the induction, but it was all of the other interventions that followed. First it was pain meds, then it was an epidural, then it was forceps 4x. I still cringe when I think about it. My body knew what to do when given the opportunity, which is why my second and third births were much more rewarding, easier, and took a lot less healing time.

Sorry to write a novel. It's a real sore spot with me, because of my induction experience. My friend just had an 11 pound 10 oz baby, at home, unassisted, and I am in awe. We CAN birth big babies on our own!

I think us women are much more capable at giving birth than people think we are.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

I was induced with Rachel at 39 weeks...we scheduled it because with DH being a trucker, and me not having ANY family around, I didn't want to go into labor and be all alone if he was on the road. And on top of that, my doctor was leaving on a missions trip to Central America and was going to be gone the week of my due date.
However, being induced was NOT fun. The meds took a long time to take effect...I was in labor for 43 hours (back labor---she was face up). It sucked bigtime. However, due to her size (8.2), I'm glad she didn't get to grow inside any longer LOL....as it was, I wound up with alot of stitches due to the 2 episiotomies they wound up having to perform.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've gone into labor on my own all 3 times. Having said that, my third came on her due date--where as the other to were 10 and 15 days early. So for me it seemed "late." The first time my doc suggested induction, i was hesitant and opted not to. However, when I passed what would have been the scheduled date, I started regretting it... so we scheduled it at my next appt, but it wouldn't be for 4-5 days!! (when he was at the hospital). I still wanted to go on my own so we did spicy food, foot massages (accuppressure), and a super duper long walk at the mall (like 3-4 hours)... and that put me into labor. I was contracting on the way home!

So, that doesn't help. I guess what I'm saying it, I prefer to go on my own and think it's fun and exciting, but at the end when you're miserable (and huge--my baby was almost 9lbs and I'm 5'1")... it doesn't sound bad at all.

Last edited by Sarah8914; 06-03-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I know a woman at my church that had a 13lb baby natually with a midwife at the hospital here in town! She isn't that big of a woman, I would say she is "average" sized.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I did pitocin with my first and last. 4 hour labors from start to finish.

My middle one was natural and took 8 hours. I have to say that she was my hardest delivery. I really don't know that the contractions were worse but, the extra 4 hours was enough to make me a lifelong fan of my friend, Mr. Pitocin.

I had it with my first one because my blood pressure was high and we needed to get the baby out. With my third, I requested it after what the 2nd delivery went the way it did.

So all in all, I think it comes down to you, your doctor and what is best and safest for all.

Creating for: Krystal Hartley
Old 06-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

I've had both experiences and they were both about the same. However for my births that were "induced" I never had pitocin. I never needed it, 2 were with gel and then they broke my water and 2 were just breaking of my water. So I can't comment on how an induced labor with pitocin would go. All 4 of my induced births were for PIH (pregnancy induced hypertension).

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 06-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh...and I had no pain medication with any of my children.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had a third degree tear with my first and wanted to avoid that a second time around so DS#2 was induced. I only used the cervical gel though, no pitocin. I slowly progressed for a little while until my water broke (by itself) and then it went fast from there. DS#2 was 6 days early from his due date and definitely headed to be the size his brother was, and probably would have had a big head too since he does now! And it is the head size that matters!

I had a good experience and the labor was pretty much the same as my other one once my water broke (before it broke the contractions were a joke pain-wise compared to after).
Old 06-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

OK Ive gotten interrupted three times now while trying to respond LOL. I had my second child by c-section but only after being induced with pitocin. It was horrible. 18 hours (at least) of hard nearly non-stop contractions and no progression at all. At that point the dr could see how exhausted I was both physically and emotionally. I had not eaten in nearly 2 days and had not slept in over 24 hours. So he asked how I felt about c-section. I really wanted to have a vaginal birth but it was not happening. With my first I went into labor naturally and had contractions for a short time period but then my daughter went into fetal distress and they had to do an emergency c-section. Last was a c-section because of me developing high blood pressure. The doctor felt I was developing pre-eclampsia. He was 6 weeks early. So anyhow comparing the two times I was able to go into labor the natural was alot less painful

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 06-03-2010, 12:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was induced both times, with my first my water broke that morning about a hour before going to the hospital. With my second, I was induced a week early due to high blood pressure. I had quick labor from what my doctor told me but I can't compare it to anything else. I would induce again if for medical reasons.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:39 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber1279 View Post
I know a woman at my church that had a 13lb baby natually with a midwife at the hospital here in town! She isn't that big of a woman, I would say she is "average" sized.
as someone that had 2 big babies (9lb 13oz, and 9lb 9oz), can I just say OUCH at a 13lb baby?! ::shudder::

I went into natural labor with my first. It was difficult and slow. My contractions didn't organize themselves well so my labor wasn't very effective. It finally happened though. I had Jacob without pain meds.

I was scheduled for an induction with my second because of the large birthweight of my first child. But when I went into the hospital they told me I was already in labor. LOL... I didn't even know because I thought it was just my excitement about going into the hospital. I still had pitocin to strengthen those contractions and did have pain meds. It was a much better birthing experience simply because of the pain meds, the induction didn't make it better except to have it planned out for a person to watch my oldest child and such.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was induced with my first at 39 weeks 4 days...my doctor said she was going to be big so she had no problem inducing me. It was our first and we were soooo ready to meet her that we went ahead with the induction. It was 12 hours from the time I got the pitocin to the time she was born...I had an epidural and pushed for an hour and a half. It was actually a really not so great experience.

With my second I went into labor on my own at 37 weeks and 4 days. It was a fairly easy labor that progressed quickly. I had my first noticeable real contraction at 7am and she was born at 1:00pm after just 2 pushes. Easy peasy, lol!!

I'd say natural if possible That's just my experience though - I had my girls each at a different hospital, so maybe it was just the fact that things were done differently at each hospital...*shrugs*
Old 06-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I was induced both times, so I can't really answer. However, if I had to choose (from hearing experiences from friends) - I would choose natural over an induction. My labors were very long. (30+ hours with the first - and that was nearly constant contractions - it was awful) I pushed for over 4 hours with my first son, and over 3 hours with my second. (and they weren't big babies - the first one was 6 lbs 3 oz)
Old 06-03-2010, 12:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've had both. I had to be induced with my first because I was in early labor for 4 days, and I was exhausted. That was the worst labor EVER and it didn't work. 12 hours of hard labor and I only dilated to 3, my son was in distress and I ended up with a C-section anyway.

I would rather a body go into labor when it's ready. I went into labor the other times, but ended in C-sections. My 4th was 9 days early, but he was 10# 13 oz, and they knew that he was going to be by C. We figured that contractions go up my uterus instead of down, so I just can't push them out...and with his size, the doctors knew they weren't going to allow me to go natural.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was induced with pitocin the first time because I was almost 2weeks past my due date. The second time my water broke a few days before my due date. I had no pain meds either time, my pitocin labor was 4.5 hours from start to finish and my second was 3.5 hours from start to finish. The pitocin contractions were harder to manage and I had a lot of those double/triple peaks, it took a lot of concentration to get through that labor, I couldn't handle any extra sensory anything, no noise, light, touch etc. The second time was much easier to manage even though it was almost too quick at the end, I swear that kid flew out LOL I'd much rather go naturally.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Natural. There are risks at being induced, so it only should be for serious medical reasons. I've seen both (I'm a doula) and trust me, natural birth is much smoother, positive experience, plus, you don't have to be monitored continually. The pitocin-induced contractions are really difficult on the baby and the mother, and don't get the hormones flowing as they should.

As Amber said, induced labor can have a spiral effect.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:02 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Both of mine were induced b/c I had high blood pressure, so I have no idea what a natural labor is like.

However.. I had pitocin with both kids. With Abby they broke my water at 8 am and she was born at 2:37 pm. I tore and it was a hard labor.. her pregnancy was easy.

JJ, they broke my water at 7:30 and I think I had him 3 hours later, 2 pushes and I progressed REALLY fast, no tears, no nothing, his was a horrible pregnancy but a super easy birth.

I'm weird, I know. :/
Old 06-03-2010, 01:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was induced 10 days early because of high blood pressure. They had me come unto the hospital to get he gel insert and wanted to moniter me for 4 hours, at which point I was contracting regularly and they were worried about the baby's heartrate. They decided to keep me overnight and start the pitocin at 7 am. In the meantime they gave me some morphone concoction to help me sleep, and it ended up relaxing me such that dialated to 8 (from 2) in 4 hours, and i was asleep for everything but the contractions. When they were finally bad enough that I didn't fall right back to sleep, I woke up dh and Oliver was born an hour later. I didn't even feek the need for am epidural until the contraction that took me from 8, -2 to head crowning, at which point it was almost over. He was born just after 5 am. I honestly would highly recommend sleeping through labor, and I was really scared of Pitocin, so I was glad that the gel insert was enough.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

i was induced 3 wks early with emma because my blood pressure was so high and they were afraid i was going to stroke. she was a horrible, long labor that ultimately wound up with an emergency csection.

madelyn was a scheduled csection so i guess i can't really answer this...just had to be included in the discussion.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Natural. For my ds I started natural but was progressing slow. So the dr. decided to start pitocin and I got an epidural and he was born 2 hrs later.

Good luck - I'm guessing cause of this post you haven't had the baby yet! Sending you LOTS of labor dust!!

Old 06-03-2010, 01:20 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Well I've only had 1 baby and it was induction because she was so big; turned out to be 8lb.10 oz but docs thought she was like 10 lbs. It was only 3 days before my due date and I was already 3 cm dialated so they induced me. I waited to get the epidural because I wanted to feel what the contractions felt like and WELL, I only made it thru 2 before I was hollering to give me the epidural. LOL I ended up having a c-section after trying for 3 hours as my daughter was looking up instead of looking down; she's still super nosey!! If given the chance to have another one I would definitely induce if necessary but would hope it would happen naturally the next time. I would also have an epidural again without hesitation. Hope this helps!

Debbie
Old 06-03-2010, 01:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I guess I should add that I have super fast deliveries, so induction speading up the process is not an incentive to me... just for getting started it could be nice!
Old 06-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

oh my gosh, thanks so much everyone for responding. And no, I haven't gone into active labor yet, just a bunch of inconsistent contractions for like a week now. I have been induced with my first 3 because of pre-eclampsia symptoms. All of my babies have been very small (5' 14", 6' 2", and 6' 14") and the doctor thinks this is going to be my largest baby. I went in yesterday for an appointment and he talked to me about me being induced this Saturday (that will be 40 weeks for me so it's the due date). I said fine since school is going to be out by then and there's nothing holding me back. Except, I really wanted to see what naturally going into labor is like. The more I think about it, the more I think I am going to regret having to be induced (again!). I really wanted to go naturally. It seems like induction is VERY common now-a-days. This is the closest I have ever gotten to my due date without having major symptoms, which I am so grateful for. I really hate how hard the contractions are with Pitocin so I am kind of scared of going through it again (especially since my epidurals never worked except with my first!). I think I am going to go in, have my blood pressure taken, and then cancel the scheduled induction. And then, this Saturday, if I haven't gone into labor yet, then I will go on a REALLY long walk and see if that does it. Thanks again for all your answers. It really helps!

Old 06-03-2010, 02:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ugh. Allie wasn't budging and I was sooooo done - so I was induced 7 days after her EDD. There was meconium in the fluid so it might've been a good thing we didn't keep waiting. BUT, my contractions were really strong adn painful - but I ahve no other experience to compare it to - but I've heard induced contractions are stronger and more painful than natural contractions. They wouldn't let me move around and I needed an IV the whole time (even before I had an epidural) and I was basically stuck in bed laying on my side for hours. Allie was facing the wrong way, so I had a lot of back pressure - so I caved and got an epidural. Then I didn't mind so much.

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 06-03-2010, 02:33 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Oh yeah, and with my last induced labor, I was in labor for almost 16 hours,of which about 12 were hard hitting contractions! It was horrible!

Old 06-03-2010, 02:47 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I strongly believe in natural labor and not induced unless totally necessary for health reasons. Your body knows when to go into labor and can handle a lot more than people give it credit for. I had 1 labor and it was natural, nothing like I thought it would be, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. I always assumed I would have a long labor about a week late with a large baby cause thats what my mom had and a lot of my relatives. I ended up going into pre-term labor at 35.5 weeks, they stopped it, I stayed on bedrest. The morning I turned 37 weeks, I was already at 5 cm with no contractions since the night they stopped them. That very night my son was born. My labor was 4 hours and that included 45 minutes to rest (we didn't take the epidural very well-I hadn't wanted one, but caved cause it went from no contractions to transition immediately and it was too much) and 2 hours of pushing cause he was face up. Good luck, go for a long walk and eat some spicy food, then get a foot massage, should help move things along!
Old 06-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Alrighty! I called and canceled the induction. I told them that if the doctor wants to talk to me about it he can call me (in case he feels that I should do it for medical reasons). I decided I will go on a very long walk this Saturday instead, and have lots of water, definitely eat spicy food, and do the foot massage! Thanks so much for all the help!

Old 06-03-2010, 03:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

good luck Yari! I'll send some easy "quick" labor vibes for you.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have only had the induced labor ... so I have nothing to base it on vs the other ... but I tell you it was a relief to get induced because he was sitting on my sciatic nerve and I was having really bad troubles trying to walk. I don't know what these gel inserts are they are talking about ... I had an IV ... we played canasta during most of my labor until it got until the end when it was time to have him. My other 2 were c-sections.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:30 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My first two were natural, my last induced... twice. I've only had one good labor experiece and that was with my second and it was a dream pregnancy too. I also chose to use pain medicine with him, and for all people say you miss out on so much, I felt I was able to enjoy the labor more that way and getting to hold and be with him right afterwards.
My first came naturally and was without drugs. I had the epidural but it wore off about 2ish hours before I started pushing. It was sooooooooooooo incredibly painful, not just the him coming out, but he also broke my tail bone when coming out, and he was only 6lbs and some ounces.
With my last, Miss Belly, I was induced because from about 7ish months on she was transverse, and no matter how many times she was turned she kept going back to being transverse. So what they did was schedule my induction, and before it started turned her back. But then nothing happened. I was only 1 cm dilated after over 12 hours. (I should add even before the induction my body was doing nothing at all and I was 37 1/2 weeks.) We couldn't just say nevermind and go home, because she would more than likely turn herself again, and I would end up having to get a c-section since my doctor will not turn a baby once labor has started. Or I could stay and try again with the stipulation that if nothing happened after a few hours the next day I would get a c-section. So they stopped the pitocin and inserted the gel stuff, which worked wonders. By morning I was 5 cm dilated and when they restarted the pitocin it only took 3 hours until she was born.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 06-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I wanted to add, if a doctor tries to pull the "induce-you-because-of-baby-size" get more opinions! My second son was projected to be 9lbs+ and my doctor wanted me to schedule a c-section (what with me being so tiny) which I wouldn't do. Turns out I wouldn't have needed one since Ryan was my smallest at 6 lbs. 5 oz.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaTrish View Post
but he also broke my tail bone when coming out, and he was only 6lbs and some ounces.
Same here! My little 6 lb guy broke my tail bone as well. Recovery was awful - I couldn't walk for weeks.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by msteiner99 View Post
Same here! My little 6 lb guy broke my tail bone as well. Recovery was awful - I couldn't walk for weeks.
Ugh...ouch!

Old 06-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am a natural labor proponent unless medically necessary. Both of my kids were born at home. DD came at 38w1d and it was a 5-hour labor. DS came at 39w2d and it was 2 hours and 17 minutes from start to finish. Fast does NOT mean easy.

If you have an exercise ball, bounce on that. I swear that's what sent me into labor with both kids. It helps with baby's positioning.

Hang in there! The wait is so hard and you swear you're going to be the only woman in the history of the world who will be pregnant forever, but I promise you won't.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:56 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
My last re-cracked it. It wasn't as bad as my first, but I swear the recovery felt like it took longer this time. I still can't sit on hard chairs for long periods of time without being in pain when getting up.

Last edited by MommaTrish; 06-04-2010 at 10:02 AM. Reason: oops! put wrong kid in! lol
Old 06-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I was induced with both of mine due to high blood pressure so I can't really say. My labors were not long though. With DD I only had the cervical gel and didn't feel a thing until my water broke (about 14 hours later). Once my water broke, she was born in about 5 hours. I had a little pain meds by mouth but no epidural. With DS I only had pitocin and he was born about 4 hrs. after it was started. I had an epidural with him but it didn't take and I could feel everything. I will say the contractions were stronger with him, but the nurse said that's because fast labors are harder than slower labors.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:50 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
That happened to me with DD and she was just over 6 lbs too. She was my first though so dummy me didn't realize it and just thought that's what it felt like after you had a baby.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:56 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Give me natural anyday.

My first was induced. I was young, and didn't fight when the Dr. said that was what would work best with his schedule. The contractions for horrible.

My second came on his own, the contractions weren't as bad but I did get an epidural.

My third was born on March 1st. He came all on his own, at home in a birthing pool in the middle of my living room floor. Hands down the easiest labor and delivery of all three.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:46 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to coopert

My first was natural. My water broke and I went to the hospital. It moved along pretty quickly. It was a pretty traumatic experience for me, because he had a very large head and was facing up. They used the vacuum to help get him out. But by the time he came out he wasn't breathing and all that. I didn't get to hold him for about ten minutes. I am pretty surprised they didn't do an emergencey C-section. He was only 7 lbs. 6 oz. But it was his head that made it tough.

So when I was having my second I was terrified of how my delivery would be. When the U/S tech told me he was a big baby at 36 weeks. I freaked out. At 38 weeks my doctor said, he didn't think I was ready and wasn't comfortablee inducing yet. At 39 weeks he scheduled it 4 days later. But I had so much anxiety I was prepared to deal with a C-section. So I was induced 3 days early, and had a smooth delivery. Second baby was 8 lbs 3 ozs. but he had a smaller head. I did have an hour of really terrible contractions (worse than any with my first). But I did eventually get an epidural which helped the pain tremendously.

Now that I have written a novel. I would probably not suggest it if it is your first, especially if it is before the due date. But I am very glad I did with my second.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:06 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to litabells

I was induced for my first child as she was 'overdue' and my health was suffering. Have to say, it was a truly horrible experience, btu I base it more on the extra circumstances. I had started contractions three days before they decided to admit me to hospital, so I was exhausted before the real battle started lol The doctor I was assigned had been in the country two weeks and couldnt speak english properly and took 5 tries to find a vein before the nursing STUDENT stepped in and took over, getting it first time. Then I had to have the ventouse, which was operated by another student, who had no idea what they were doing. So all in all, it was a rough time. Worth it, but rough lol
My second, was all natural. My contractions started with a vengeance and within 3 hours I had my little bundle. I have to admit, this was a scary time too. I was so NOT prepared for how fast things would happen, & I was alone with my 3yo when I went into labour, so trying to care for her, stay calm and get help was pretty intense lol
SHould add, both my births were med free, as we found out the hard way that I was allergic to Pethadine :/
If I had to choose though, knowing what I do now, I'd choose natural for sure. I think, as long as you approach either situation with a good idea of the goings on, you'll be fine. Go to the hospital tours, read any material recommended by your doctor/midwife & just remind yourself to breathe. Just remember, there's a gorgeous little bundle of love waiting for you at the end of it all

Good luck Yari! Sending positive thoughts!

Last edited by litabells; 06-04-2010 at 02:10 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:19 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I like natural. I just think there's something cool about the baby picking their own birthday. (Which is odd since I'm the uber-planner type...)

Honestly, I think labor sucks any which way you look at it.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:44 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i have two kids -

the 1st - i went into labor naturally one week after my due date. i labored at home all night, and went into the hospital after about 11 hours and was 5 cm. i left the hospital to eat, walk around, etc and while at home my water broke and there was meconium, so i went back in to see my midwife. it was now about 6 hours later and i was STILL at 5 cm so - they decided to give me pitocin. after a while of that, i decided to get an epidural (i didn't want one at first) - b/c i wasn't allowed to walk around b/c they couldn't get a reading on the monitor unless i was in bed ... it was painful (i didn't notice that pitocin made the contractions worse - i thought they were ALL bad - LOL) - the epidural was great i thought - haha - wondered why i waited so long.

my second was induced after i went two weeks late - i went in a 9 am and the midwife finally broke my water at 8 PM. i had no pain during that time and just got to about 3 cm. after my water broke i walked around and the contractions started coming hard and fast ... at 10 i asked for an epidural - took awhile for the guy to get there, he did a HORRIBLE job and i ended up getting no/minimal relief and having the baby 10 minutes after the epidural was done - with only one push. then - i got a spinal headache from the epidural which was the WORST - i will NEVER get an epidural again - haha - even though i know it is a rare side effect - it sucked! way worse than labor!

good luck with whatever happens!! it's nice to hope for natural, but be able to go with the flow when things don't work out - i wanted two natural water births - LOL - and had the exact opposite!

creating for:
the lilypad / sahlin studio
Old 06-04-2010, 08:24 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've had 3 children. First two I went into labor on my own, and had naturally. My son was 9 lbs 5 oz and my daughter was 8 lbs 6 oz, so they weren't tiny babies, either. Great birth experiences.

With my 3rd, I was induced due to moving into eclampsia. It was by far my scariest birth experience. Due to the drugs they were giving me, I wasn't able to focus on my breathing through contractions and due to the pitocin, they were coming hard and heavy. I ended up asking for an epidural, and that caused my previously skyrocketing blood pressure to completely bottom out (to the point where I feared for my baby's life, and had already decided I was probably going to die). In the end, the epidural finally took just as it was time to push, and that part was super easy. However, given the choice, I'd always choose to go into labor naturally. My inducement was far too medical, and to me, labor should be more natural.