Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2010, 06:58 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Seattle Area Peeps! Help!!

My family and I are going to be spending an afternoon/evening in Seattle soon and we are looking for something fun to do with the whole family. We have a 3YO and an almost 7YO. So what family oriented things are there to do in the area other than the Space Needle?
Old 04-22-2010, 07:07 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

the aquarium is in seattle.. but it's kinda meh- at least it was a zillion years ago when i went
Old 04-22-2010, 07:09 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

My suggestion is always to do the quintessential Seattle activity- ride a ferry! You can take one from downtown seattle to Bainbridge Island, which has a super-cute town within walking distance from the ferry landing. On Bainbridge there is even a children's museum, if you want to do that, but there is plenty to do just walking around the town and exploring the beach. Have fun!

robin
Old 04-22-2010, 08:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh yeah - the ferry would be fun for the kids Hopefully it's a nice day - that way you can stand outside and enjoy the wind and watching the birds fly beside you (assuming you do it).

Aside from the Space Needle - right there in that area is usually little ... fun stuff. Like maybe a face painting tent... or someone playing music. This might happen more towards the summer time - I just remember walking around that general area and having lots of stuff to see/do.

And it's fun to see the craziness of the Farmer's Market. There's something to see everywhere you look. Seeing them throw the fish is almost a must, lol. But it is crazy - so hold tight to your kids & stuff if you walk around there - it can be close quarters sometimes...

Hmm...Oh - there's the Monorail. It's not very long (only like a mile long) - but I had fun riding it (it's not something I grew up with - not even a little. So riding one was new & exciting, lol). That's there - around the Space Needle too. I think it connects the Space Needle and the Mall (it's been a while since I've been there)

If all else fails -- google I'm sure there are tons of things even I don't know about and/or remember Hope you have a great time!!!
Old 04-22-2010, 10:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would suggest The Woodland Park Zoo. We had a lot of great memories taking the boys there.

Go to a Mariner's game! Go Mariners!!

My boys LOVED going to Northwest Trek which is a little drive away.

There are different animals to see at Point Defiance Zoo in Tacoma

and of course, the Pacific Science Center which is located right there by the Space Needle.

Also, while right there by the Space Needle, there is the Seattle Childrens Theater
This was one of my boys FAVORITE things to do there, and I started taking my youngest when he was 3. He was able to sit quietly though, and enjoyed that the actors came out after and he could see everything wasn't real. We started him with just the plays for younger kids. You can check their schedule and see what's going to be running while you're there.

Anyway...these are a few things. We lived there for 11 years when my boys were small...and it's such a beautiful city. We miss it!

(go to Pikes Place Market too...just because)

eta: I just reread your post and realized you are only going to be there for one afternoon/evening. Sorry for my long post then!! LOL!

Last edited by 4noisyboys; 04-22-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:01 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I would second the zoo..love it there..some really cool exhibits. Aquarium is not the best aquarium I've been to but the pacific dome is really cool. Not sure how a 3yo would do in the science center...only went once but I don't remember a whole lot geared for younger kids (could be that we bypassed those areas though...I was there sans kids).
Old 04-22-2010, 11:13 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

You can also do a "Ride the Duck" tour that takes you on a tour of the city and also goes in the water. If you're downtown during the weekday, let me know and you can lunch with me You can take a ferry to Tillicum village, where you get a salmon lunch or dinner. You can also do harbor cruises or boat tours that take you through the locks. I highly recommend the Ballard locks, btw. Your kids would love it.

Other recommendations ... whale watching, boeing tours, the museum of flight, etc ...
Old 04-22-2010, 11:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

yep...love the Ballard Locks! I took the boys there MANY times!!

eta: I think it's time for me to head up there again!
Old 04-22-2010, 11:35 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

great ideas!

If your going to stay in the downtown area...
Pike Place Market, Seattle Aquarium, Ye Olde Curiosity shoppe, ferry ride, mariners game, monorail, needle, pacific science center, catacomb tour, duck tour, Argosy tour, Monorail all are easy to get to in the downtown area.
Oh...take them to the yucky gum wall at the market...it's so weird!

If your going to venture out of downtown...
Woodland Park Zoo, Ballard Locks, Archie McFee (wierd stuff shop), lighthouse at Alki Point, Museum of flight at Boeing field (lots of cool planes)

There is more I just can't think at the moment...have a great time! I will be going home in a couple of months to see my parents and can't wait!!
Old 04-23-2010, 12:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to xboxmom

Also don't forget if you want a nice little walk with some art invovled you can always go to the olypmic sculpture park and then when you are done walking around there you can grab some dinner across the street at the spaghetti factory! This is also just a hop skip and a jump from pikes place, the aquarium and all the Argosy tour stuff. If you need more Ideas I have an Entire list of fun must sees in Seattle!
Old 04-23-2010, 02:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think Misty has a website that has lots of fun things to do there.. i think... but I can't remember where it is!
Old 04-23-2010, 03:31 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

My kid's enjoyed the Experience Music Project and the Science Center. It's all around the Space Needle. EMP had a Muppets display. I think that might have been temporary? Also in that area is a really fun fountain that shoots these big balls of water in the air. I'm not sure what it is called but they LOVED IT! Pic:

Last edited by jannylynn; 04-23-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:48 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I think we're going to have to spend a week there to see all the great sights! Thanks for all your help!
Old 04-23-2010, 07:49 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I 2nd the Zoo.....my kids LOVED it!!!!! and PIkes Market!! Seeming them throw the fish is super kewl and I think the kiddos would get a kick out of it