Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg
Default ~Bronze Horseman-Discussion *May Contain Spoilers*~

feel free to discuss as you read

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 06-23-2011, 08:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh I can hardly stand to start discussing this. Where is everyone at in their reading so far? And if you have finished ... do you think you will go on to read the other two books in the series?

kit used for siggie "Kona Coast" by Julie Billingsley
Old 06-23-2011, 09:09 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I've finished. I'm undecided on the next book. I don't think I can discuss much without spoiling it for those who are still reading.

The first 100 pages or so of this book hooked me on the characters (although I wanted to wring their necks much of the time). The middle 1/3 of the book was tough for me and got a bit boring, however I was hooked enough that it carried me through.

Love to discuss character and plot details when everyone is ready.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am about 200 pages away from the end.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:32 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Cato View Post
The first 100 pages or so of this book hooked me on the characters (although I wanted to wring their necks much of the time). The middle 1/3 of the book was tough for me and got a bit boring, however I was hooked enough that it carried me through.
I'm in that middle rut right now..and having a hard time getting thru it. I swear I have reading ADD and can't stay focused

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 06-23-2011, 09:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've read this book a few times now, most recently a couple of weeks ago as I was waiting for the US release of The Summer Garden. I highly recommend the last 2, although TBH is the best, I think.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:08 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I LOVED this book.. I am in this huge phase right now of loving WWII historical fiction (also read sarah's key and winter garden this year) and this was a great read for me.. I'm sorta stuck now on the 2nd book.. I'm really hating all of the overlapping that was done and it felt like a waste to me.. I suppose if someone wasn't going to read the bronze horseman it would be good to have but its a bit tiresome. Apparently there will be a movie in 2012

I kinda suck at talking about books.. I never know how to get my thoughts on it out of my head..

ps.. I kinda could have done with a bit less of the nipple sucking :O
Old 06-23-2011, 11:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Reading it right now! Still have quite a way to go - but definitely enjoying it!

Old 06-24-2011, 07:35 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
I LOVED this book.. I'm sorta stuck now on the 2nd book.. I'm really hating all of the overlapping that was done and it felt like a waste to me.. I suppose if someone wasn't going to read the bronze horseman it would be good to have but its a bit tiresome.

ps.. I kinda could have done with a bit less of the nipple sucking :O
This

I read TBH in 2 days - loved it! I agree that it went a bit overboard in places, though. I was sad that the library was closed when I finished this book because I wanted more. I picked up the second book yesterday and I'm already halfway through it - although I may be reading it so quickly because I'm skipping over some of the repeats. That and I have some sort of knee injury so I can't do much besides sit at the computer or read (aww, shucks).

One thing that was really weird for me about TBH is that I would swear that I read it before, but only about the first half of the book. I don't know, maybe I read an excerpt from it or something.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to cardinalskate

I enjoyed this book, but sometimes I just wanted to slap the characters. They were very contradictory. Having huge blow-out arguments and then going on like it never happened, but yet it comes up again. The whole third quarter of the book was sex. I mean just pages and pages of the same sex. That got a little boring. And the end. Well...you know.

I make it sound like I didn't like the book, and that's not the case, because I really did enjoy it. The setting of Russia in the midst of WWII was a new one for me. Though I've read tons of WWII-era books, I don't think many of them have been from a Russian perspective.

I didn't know there was a 2nd book. I'll have to check it out!
Old 06-24-2011, 08:51 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't know ... maybe it just hit me at the right time or something, because it just grabbed ahold of my heart and wouldn't let go. I read it twice before I realized there were other books. I went so far as to order The Summer Garden from the UK.paid dang near $30 for it and I was halfway through it when I misplaced it ...I think I left it at the nail salon one day getting a pedicure and have never been able to find it. So now that it's available in the US I need to order it again so I can finish the saga ...but I have to say that maybe it would have been better to end it at 2. From what I was able to read of TSG, I think I will be unhappy with Shura

Old 06-24-2011, 09:25 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I finished it. I liked it for a $1.99 read. I enjoyed the history aspect of it. I had mixed feelings about the characters, they could be pretty frustrating. I probably won't read the rest of the series, too "romancy" (making up words as I go ) for me.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

What is the series order? Now that I am almost finished with this one I want to continue the story.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:50 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keely~B View Post
I finished it. I liked it for a $1.99 read. I enjoyed the history aspect of it. I had mixed feelings about the characters, they could be pretty frustrating. I probably won't read the rest of the series, too "romancy" (making up words as I go ) for me.
Spoiler below for those who are still in the first half of the book...

I liked the history too. I was also intrigued by many of the ancillary characters; Colonel Stepanov, Crazy Slavin, Inga and Stanislav, Tatiana's boss at the Kirov factory, etc. Although they played minor roles in the book, it felt as if they each had a story that could be a novel in it's own right.

I found the book the most interesting when the characters were enveloped in the war or life in Leningrad - the 100+ page honeymoon and regular fights about the same issues drug on for me.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:05 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

For the most part I enjoyed the book. The middle was draggy though. I've always found Russian history interesting - was my favorite course in college - and this didn't disappoint. It had a lot of historical references but not so overdone that it detracted from the storyline.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiefamily View Post
What is the series order? Now that I am almost finished with this one I want to continue the story.
The Bronze Horseman
Tatiana and Alexander
The Summer Garden

Old 07-01-2011, 10:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks Amy! So is the rest of the series worth it? I am debating on if I want to buy those or choose another choice from the book club.

I did enjoy this book but truthfully like Ken Follett's writing style more.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiefamily View Post
Thanks Amy! So is the rest of the series worth it? I am debating on if I want to buy those or choose another choice from the book club.

I did enjoy this book but truthfully like Ken Follett's writing style more.
I'm wondering if it's worth it, too. I've got so many other books lined up to read and am wondering if this series is good enough to bump them.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So did anyone that was kinda on the fence about this series go ahead with the series? I just got the 2nd book in today and am wondering whether or not I wanna read it. Yays or nays?
Old 07-06-2011, 09:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

the second book spends about 1/3 of the time recapping what happened in the first. i found it annoying and just skipped ahead. definitely not as good as the first.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

LOL at KCB's nipple sucking comment. SO TRUE!
Old 07-07-2011, 02:13 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I am on the last book, and really have enjoyed them.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalskate View Post
So did anyone that was kinda on the fence about this series go ahead with the series? I just got the 2nd book in today and am wondering whether or not I wanna read it. Yays or nays?
I finished the second book (and am impatiently waiting for my library to get the third). It took a while to get into it because of all the repeats from the first book at the beginning, but about halfway through I finally really got into it and I'm so glad that I finished it.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:31 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochelle789 View Post
I've read this book a few times now, most recently a couple of weeks ago as I was waiting for the US release of The Summer Garden. I highly recommend the last 2, although TBH is the best, I think.
This I agree with! I also loved the Bronze Horseman the best of the three books. I couldn't wait to get my hands on the others to see how their story ended. I love the characters of Tatianna and Alexander. I cried so hard at the end.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:32 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateD View Post
I finished the second book (and am impatiently waiting for my library to get the third). It took a while to get into it because of all the repeats from the first book at the beginning, but about halfway through I finally really got into it and I'm so glad that I finished it.
That was the way I felt about Tatiana and Alexander. It took a while to really get into the story. It was nice that the author was trying to get some more backstory to Alexander's character, but it really slowed it down. The second half of the book was soo good though.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:37 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I was really, really looking forward to the The Summer Garden when it came out. I couldn't wait to read it. I really liked the first half of the book. The second half wasn't as interesting. I was glad that I read it, but wish the last half was different. The extended sort of epilouge part at the end was a bit annoying as well.