Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 05-24-2015, 08:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Currently Reading Week of 5/24

Nikki - Hope you don't mind but I'm starting the thread this week!

What's the last book you finished?
What are you reading right now?
What's on your TBR?

I really l liked The Girl With All the Gifts - it's a very clever and interesting take a particular problem that I won't give away.

I have a good problem right now -- all the books I had on hold became available at the same time! So I'm starting with this one because it's due back first:

What's on your TBR?

Up next will be:

Old 05-24-2015, 11:24 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Oooooh I enjoyed everything on your TBR list, heddy! I'm intrigued by The Girl With All The Gifts, so I need to check that out!

I'm on my phone, so please excuse me for not linking up this time.

I just finished Still Alice. Having lost my grandmother to Alzheimer's, this was especially heartwrenching. Undecided if I will see the movie.

Just started The Girl On The Train last night.

I will probably read our SSD book club selection next!
Old 05-24-2015, 04:10 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Sorry! I totally forgot this week...I've been sick and end of school and birthdays and I've been running in circles. I've also not been reading as much b/c I was sick...

What's on your TBR?

I finished 3 audiobooks the past two weeks...

Moby Dick by Herman Melville This was a bucket list read for me. It was okay but a little too much whaling information. I gave it 3 out of 5 stars although I can see why it's a classic..just not for me.

The Martian by Andy Weir - It was good..not as good as I expected but a fun read. It'll make a good movie. DH is listening to it right now and he loves it.

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkein a reead for me. I'd wanted to reread this and the LOTR Trilogy last year and never got around to it so I'm devoting the next few weeks to them on audible.

Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon

The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkein

The Witches by Roal Dahl (with the kids)

The Thickety by J.A White

What's on your TBR?

I'm still planning on picking up A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

Old 05-24-2015, 06:51 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Okay - I love this thread because everything you like I put on my wish list!!

I finished The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry which I really liked. There were a few places where I either wanted him to get hit by a car or for his wife to just pick him up....but by the end I was sobbing. Loved the ending!! My oldest (who is an avid reader and also cries while reading) was laughing at me!! Has anyone read the Love Song of Miss Queeny Hennesey?

I love, love, loved Ready Player One ! All of the 80's references were awesome!! I want my daughter to read it. The twist with Aech blew me away! Couldn't wait to keep reading. Highly recommend!!

I liked The Beginning of Everything but not was much as I had hoped. I think my daughter would love it.

I rented When You Reach Me from the library. I realized I've been buying too many Amazon books (Libby and Nikki's fault)! I love the Newbery Award Winners. I need to put more in my queue.

I'm currently reading Shingaling: A Wonder Story . Started it this morning. I need to get Pluto and The Julian Chapter too.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:17 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

HAAAAAA! Kjersti, I've started using my library more and more, too. They've really increased their selection of ebooks, and I've got plenty on my kindle. So, I just get on the hold list for anything I want to read, and I've got enough to keep me occupied until the holds come through.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:52 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

That's a great idea. I just renewed my library card last week and downloaded the app. I need to get my "hold list" going!!! I commute nearly two hours a day so I started listening to audio books. It makes the commute so much better!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby Pritchett View Post
HAAAAAA! Kjersti, I've started using my library more and more, too. They've really increased their selection of ebooks, and I've got plenty on my kindle. So, I just get on the hold list for anything I want to read, and I've got enough to keep me occupied until the holds come through.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:04 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Love these threads. They always add to my TBR list. Girl with All the Gifts looks good.

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch - Loved it. I plan to continue on with the series.

Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin - picked this one up because I loved AJ Fickery so much. Elsewhere was mildly entertaining but not nearly as good.

A Cold Day in Paradise by Seve Hamilton - good mystery/thriller for the holiday weekend

Through the Evil Days by Julie Spencer Fleming - Just ok. I used to really like this series, but now they feel formulaic and I'm rather tired of the main characters. I think I'm done with them.

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley - my husband always gives me a hard time because I've never read this one.

What's on your TBR?

The Venetian Mask by Rosalind Laker - Still need to get to this one for my June book club.