Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2013, 04:14 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Question Question for the ADHD Kid Moms

I'm wondering if Ryan's medicine is starting to cause issues. His temper when it starts to wear off is horrible. He's screaming at people, slamming and throwing things. He's taken to lying - about everything, even stupid stuff that there is no reason to lie about. And he gets mean. Ryan's never been a mean or angry kid, so I'm kinda worried. I know Zach had a huge attitude flux at about this age, so I don't know if I should just ride it out like we had to Zach, or if I should ask his doctor if we can move his medicine check up up to this month instead of next or what.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Advice?

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 03-11-2013, 04:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

What medication is he on? Reece started out on Adderall and it totally caused increased anger in him... He has always struggled with anger some but I mean it just went to a whole new level (just like you said, screaming, yelling, throwing things not just the occasional fit) - when we went to see a psychiatrist prescriber (instead of our pediatrician who originally prescribed the adderall) she said that in the psychiatrist community some people refer to it as "mad"derall because it can really have that side effect. She switched him to concerta and we have a much more well adjusted kid with that one. The prescriber said something to the effect of that there are so many different types of adhd meds, and so if there are side effects like that it just means there is a better option for him, and she was totally right in our case!

Old 03-11-2013, 04:35 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

We have also had better results with concerta. I would recommend talking to his dr. about it. There are so many possible side effects with these meds, I always call my dr. whenever there is a behavior change.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna Clingerman View Post
What medication is he on? Reece started out on Adderall and it totally caused increased anger in him... He has always struggled with anger some but I mean it just went to a whole new level (just like you said, screaming, yelling, throwing things not just the occasional fit) - when we went to see a psychiatrist prescriber (instead of our pediatrician who originally prescribed the adderall) she said that in the psychiatrist community some people refer to it as "mad"derall because it can really have that side effect. She switched him to concerta and we have a much more well adjusted kid with that one. The prescriber said something to the effect of that there are so many different types of adhd meds, and so if there are side effects like that it just means there is a better option for him, and she was totally right in our case!
He's on the Adderall XR

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 03-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Oh, one more thing: After Reece was well established on concerta we saw that it def. wore off in a pretty extreme way (not as much anger, more like just totally hyped up). So his psych ended up adding "intuniv" once a day along with the concerta - It is a slow release non-stimulant adhd med, that sort kicks in right as the concerta wears off, it is more calming so it helps in the evenings and especially with sleeping.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:40 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

honestly I would let the doc know what is going on....we had something similar happen with Peyton and we ended up having to change his meds. But we think now he might possibly have Asperger's, but we have a 6-8 month wait to be seen at Children's definetely tell the doc though....
Old 03-11-2013, 04:40 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaTrish View Post
He's on the Adderall XR
yeah thats what reece was taking, i would def. talk to your dr, or to a psychiatrist specifcially (we see a psych nurse practitioner) she spends all day managing meds so she has tons of experience, it helped me a TON because I feel like I understand what his meds are doing better, and because of that I feel so much more at ease about his prescriptions.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:40 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna Clingerman View Post
Oh, one more thing: After Reece was well established on concerta we saw that it def. wore off in a pretty extreme way (not as much anger, more like just totally hyped up). So his psych ended up adding "intuniv" once a day along with the concerta - It is a slow release non-stimulant adhd med, that sort kicks in right as the concerta wears off, it is more calming so it helps in the evenings and especially with sleeping.
gah I think J needs this. About 5-5:30 he is a MESS.. so hyper.

Trish, J is on vyvanse, the only anger he has EVER had towards anyone is his sister.. she is the only one he hits and to be honest, 70% of the time she probably deserves it :/ but.. i can't say it's worse with or without meds.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would definitely call the doctor too. The meds are not supposed to change who they are, just calm them and help them focus. We were on Concerta/Intuniv and it worked well for quite a while but then stopped being as effective. We are on Focalin now, and I do notice some anger issues. But, like Sara said, his anger issues are mostly directed at his brother, and I can't say that it is totally the meds doing it.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:14 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

We are now on a Focalin XR and Straterra and it's just about perfect. He's 10 now and we've been medicating him since he was 7.