Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2010, 07:43 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default homeschooling resources

I hope it's okay to post this here. I know several of you ladies home school your children. It's kind of funny that I'm posting this now because today was our last day of school in this district. I'm really interested in learning about home schooling my kids. I've toyed with the idea in the past as we've struggled with our school system here.

Tristan will be in 1st grade next year and Gabriel will be in 2nd grade. Both have IEPs in place. Tristan is just behind and needs a lot of extra attention and help, he has his own personal aide at school to help him with school work and other things.

Gabriel is in the special education room, he doesn't function at all like a typical 7 year old, he doesn't talk at all, or walk unassisted and he requires all his foods to be pureed. He mainly attends school for his therapies (OT, PT and Speech and I guess for the experience).

I would love to spend this summer break getting stuff together and planning and actually being able to home school next year. I'm intimidated by the idea but also think it could be a wonderful experience for us as a family.

I'm just so overwhelmed by all the information that comes up when you google home schooling LOL. Could you ladies share some websites or advice with me.

::Tabatha::
proud mom to Gabriel {11}, Tristan {10} Julian {6}, Sophie {3}, Lucius {1} & Ezekiel {5.28.14}
Forever Missing Katriel Star (17 weeks) and Sebastian Judah (14 weeks)
Old 05-29-2010, 08:11 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

I think the first step is always finding the laws/rules/whatevers for your specific state. That will help guide you tremendously. I know we have gobs of homeschoolers floating around so i won't interject more than that as i decided against homescooling for ce ^_^ These girls are always amazing with their resources though <3
Old 05-29-2010, 08:33 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

la's correct - first visit www.hslda.org to find out the laws in your state. That will make a huge difference on the approach you decide to take. Your state is on the less regulated end of things, which makes it easier in some respects, to make it fit each child without a lot of red tape.

Approaches are HUGE, varied, have a lot to do with your philosophy of education in your household, what your children's strengths are, and what you want to accomplish with your education. Some of the first big questions are do you want to create a school-at-home environment; do you want it to be more child-led or parent-led or subject-led curriculum (unschooling or computer education vs parent led vs prepackaged curriuculums); does your belief system play into how you want to teach (some curriculum are faith-based (depending on your faith) while some use it as a highlight and some don't regard it at all); are you self-motivated and like to plan and plan and plan or do you need someone to walk you through it by hand for every day; do you want a history based, literature focused course of study or are you a workbook kinda family.

Do you want an all-in-one package that gives you absolutely everything you need, or do you want to pick and choose each subject with different programs/books, etc.

The other thing to consider is the IEP. Are the resources you need for Tristan going to be available to you at home. If not, are you going to be able to offer them yourself? Will it be an option to use some of the resources of your school district to help out on specific courses or , while the rest is done at home (my school district doesn't allow that at all). And then you'll have to ask yourself some honest answers about caring for Gabriel..and how it will affect your day. NOT saying that you can't do it, or that you should send Gabriel to school as a babysitter - it's not what I mean at all. But you have to be honest with yourself about what you can handle as a mom/teacher and still give your kids a great education at home. Are the resources you need for OT/PT and speech going to be available to you at home?

There's so much to consider before you even begin 'shopping'.

But here's a great piece of advice that someone gave me long ago...no matter what you choose now, you're more than likely NOT going to stick with it, so don't panic. Don't worry. Just go with what you think is going to work, try it out and don't give up on it after two weeks, and if at the end of the year, you find it wasn't working for you - you can switch! Some things you might not have to work that long before you know it's just not going to work, but there's also a habit by so many home schoolers to buy, try for a few weeks, say it's not working, and move to something else, and never giving the kids a chance to acclimate and master it before they have to switch tactics.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:59 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Thanks so much for your insight, Darcy.

I've considered continuing letting Gabriel attend the public school for therapies he gets. The other option is to take him to the hospital for the therapies each week. That wouldn't be easy toting Gabriel and Julian along with us however many times a week we may need to go. I suppose I would say I'm leaning toward letting Gabriel continue to attend school at this point.

I really think I could do a better job teaching Tristan at home than they are doing at school. My aunt was a primary level teacher for nearly 30 years, she is retired now so I know she may be able to help me some. I know I will be able to put everything together and work with Tristan, I think he would thrive and do so much better academically and emotionally in a homeschool environment, I'm just intimidated and bit nervous about messing it all up somehow LOL.

::Tabatha::
proud mom to Gabriel {11}, Tristan {10} Julian {6}, Sophie {3}, Lucius {1} & Ezekiel {5.28.14}
Forever Missing Katriel Star (17 weeks) and Sebastian Judah (14 weeks)
Old 05-29-2010, 11:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I agree with Darcy with speaking to HSLDA ... they also have a Special Needs person that you can speak with as well that might be able to help you both with the laws in your State and with homeschooling a special needs child.

Check to see if there is a homeschooling group in your area ... there is one in my area and when I pay the yearly $35 fee to be a member (which gives us a monthly calendar of events happening in the homeschooling community, lists groups & functions you can attend, support groups, etc.) ... it also gives us a discount on HSLDA membership.

I have a son with an IEP ... I homeschool him but he goes to the school for speech and a high functioning autism (aspergers) social group. ... so our school district does allow for that. I can also enroll him (as I did this last school year) in just ONE elective ... I enrolled him in Small Engine Repair ... something I couldn't homeschool him on. It worked out great.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:24 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I have a special needs 7 year old and he is another one who is WAY behind thanks to our failing system here, he was being beaten up EVERYDAY and was terrified to go back so after asking the school and board to help I have decided to homeschool now starting in Sept, We are deschooling right now as he had so much stress going on that I think giving him this time to unwind and just enjoy life is what he needs. What has been a huge help for me as I am where you are is I have joined a local support group for homeschooler's. They have been an amazing resource. Other than that I have been pouring over the loads of info on the web about the different styles, techniques, resources and curriculums! Good Luck to you I hope you are able to find the info you need!