Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2023, 06:38 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default And Just Like That ... I Forgot ...

In my old "work life" I was a Microsoft Excel whiz ... I'd taken a ton of classes and used it everyday. I was the person everyone in the office came to when they needed a fancy spreadsheet created.

Fast forward 2 years ... my hubby asked me to put together a spreadsheet for him for his part time job - I was sort of excited to dive in - but boy, oh boy .... I forgot SOOOO much. I drew a complete blank for so many of the steps! It sort of bothers me that I could forgot so much so quickly ...

Please tell me I'm not alone ... has something like this happened to you?

Last edited by JillW; 09-03-2023 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-03-2023, 09:54 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

At this old age of mine, I will quickly forget steps if I don't do something repeatedly. Don't feel bad. Of course I forget words even more. You don't want to know how many times I couldn't think of the word balcony this past week. I thought of porch, deck, and knew those were wrong. Frick'n balcony!

For the record, my daughter is a major excel whiz and quickly gaining recognition and kudos at her company for it.
Old 09-03-2023, 10:52 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

You are not the only one, Jill. I am embarrassed to say I've forgotten a lot on simple things lately. Maybe it's a general thing or just exhaustion playing its game.
Old 09-04-2023, 07:54 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

You are definitely not alone. I forget names way too often
Old 09-04-2023, 10:49 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think it's normal that if we don't practice a skill we have on a repeated basis that we forget some of the steps or don't feel as confident as we used to. My husband loves driving and usually get behind the wheel. I've kicked him out of the driver's seat several times because I've noticed that if I haven't driven for a while my reflexes and confidence behind the wheel suffers. You are definitely not alone in the forgetfulness department!

Old 09-04-2023, 10:55 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

my memory is so so so bad. I can't remember numbers at all.. I got a new cell number in the last couple years and it took me almost a year to memorize it. I will look at a number and forget it a second later.. I forget things like shutting off the stove all.the.time.
Old 09-04-2023, 09:36 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyM View Post
At this old age of mine, I will quickly forget steps if I don't do something repeatedly. Don't feel bad. Of course I forget words even more. You don't want to know how many times I couldn't think of the word balcony this past week. I thought of porch, deck, and knew those were wrong. Frick'n balcony!

For the record, my daughter is a major excel whiz and quickly gaining recognition and kudos at her company for it.
WORDS!! Oh yes ... I forget them often! One of my dear girlfriends and I just laugh when we try to have a conversation, because sometimes we're both having bad days and trying to figure out what the heck either of us is saying is humorous!!
Old 09-04-2023, 09:36 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lidia G View Post
I think it's normal that if we don't practice a skill we have on a repeated basis that we forget some of the steps or don't feel as confident as we used to. My husband loves driving and usually get behind the wheel. I've kicked him out of the driver's seat several times because I've noticed that if I haven't driven for a while my reflexes and confidence behind the wheel suffers. You are definitely not alone in the forgetfulness department!
I'm glad you were able to take over driving!
Old 09-05-2023, 08:57 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I admire anyone who knows Excel. I don't. I'm constantly Googling to find out how to do something -- as simple as doing a return to go to the next line in the same space.

You are not alone! I think it's mostly because we don't keep our minds "alive" with the information. One of my college friends has been asking me music questions (I have a music degree in Music Theory.) because he's using music notation software to notate all of the songs he's written over the years. I've had to Google almost everything to at least double-check myself and often to get that nudge of what he's asking. I haven't sung in a choir in over 15 years, and I'm a litigation paralegal, so I'm not using my music knowledge.
Old 09-05-2023, 04:07 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I think Excel is definitely a use-it-or-lose-it type of knowledge.
Old 09-19-2023, 12:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I can definitely relate. I can’t tell you how many times I go to say a name or place and can’t find the words and then hours later it pops back into my head. As far as numbers go, I am like Kristin, I have a really hard time remembering a new phone number or address. I love my cell number, it is so easy to remember but I may have to give it up if we leave the province. Not sure though, need to take to our provider about it.
Old 09-19-2023, 04:46 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgal00 View Post
Not sure though, need to take to our provider about it.
Are you thinking of changing provinces?

And no need to change numbers now - most plans include "Canada wide" calling, so it doesn't matter if your area code is BC, if it's a cell phone. We have so many employees that have area codes from BC or SK