Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2011, 04:30 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm
Default How many runners?

Hi guys, I noticed there were several runners who posted in Jenn's thread about treadmills vs ellipticals. You know, that is something I have ALWAYS wanted to do, but I've never gotten past that hump of feeling like I'm dying, lol. I'm just curious how many of you runners are out there and how you started out? Did you follow a program? etc., and if you have any tips for someone considering taking up running.
Thanks!
jen
Old 03-31-2011, 05:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

disclaimer i don't run.
but i have a bunch of friends who did couch to 5K and it worked for them.
myabe you could look into that program?
Old 03-31-2011, 05:06 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

#1 - go to a running store to get fitted for the right shoe for your feet!!!!!

I use couch 2 5K for training... I can't wait to start up again!
Old 03-31-2011, 05:14 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathergw View Post

This.
I started with Couch to 5K last spring. I'm thinking about jumping back into it once I get back to running in 2 weeks. I don't NEED it anymore, but it's such a good program I think it'll help me get back into the swing of things.

ETA: You have to be able to work on getting past the feeling of dying. It's going to happen, but if you just give up you'll never move past it. It takes work, but it'll happen, I promise.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathergw View Post

this. I did couch to 5K, then moved on to 10K, then to a half marathon. It took months of daily cardio(even if I wasn't running, I did some form of cardio every day most days to help out, even if it was just swimming laps or taking a walk). It's a mental barrier. I find I can run the best when I put on music and tell myself I have to run through as many songs as I can. I also focused first on distance, then speed.

For example, when I first did the 5K, it wasn't fast, but I kept at that pace until I could run a 5K comfortably. Then I worked on going faster every day until I could do a 5K faster, then started adding more distance, then more speed. I did things incrementally to help get over the mental hurdle.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:53 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I run. Somedays I still don't wanna do it, but I have to remember the way I feel after I finish, not before I start. Somedays I feel every step and some days I feel like I could go on forever. I do a run/walk, like my own version of couch to 5K. I do it because its much harder for your body to get used to burning those calories and thus stopping, keeps your heart moving up and down and also helps improve my run time. I can't wait for it to get decent out here so I can go outside again, so much nicer than a treadmill.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I started with Couch to 5k. In May I'm running my 2nd marathon.

When I finished C25K I vowed to either run forever, or never again, because there was not a chance in hell of me putting myself through that EVER AGAIN. Once I got to where I could run for a straight hour, THEN I was good to go and it stopped sucking. Basically, once I could run a 10k, so a couple months past the finish of Couch to 5k. Once you can run for an hour, you can run for an hour and a half, and so on.

I will say, that even now, the first mile or 2 of every run I'm like blehhhhh why am I doing this. Eventually, once I get warmed up, I get in the zone, and I can just go forever.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:24 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I so badly want to run again. When I was in high school and college I played a lot of soccer and was running all the time. Then marriage, kids, and eventually life got in the way. I've been thinking of doing couch to 5k for a while now. Everyone I talk to always suggests it. There is a store around here that measures and does some special feet testing to find shoes that fit your feet best. I have been wanting to go but I imagine its $$$, but probably worth it. I keep telling myself that I was a runner before I can do it again. If only it were that simple!
Old 03-31-2011, 06:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You can expect to pay about $100 ish for a decent pair of running shoes (the gait analysis is generally free whether you buy the shoes or not). They're worth every penny. And good for 3-400 miles, which when you're just starting is a good long while. lol
Old 03-31-2011, 07:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My neighbor is a runner...she can't stand to go a day without running, even when they were on vacation in Miami. LOL She is awesome...when she trains for a marathon she'll go and run 18km. I can't imagine that!
Old 03-31-2011, 07:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I ran 20 miles last Saturday morning, and then played 2 soccer games that night.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:13 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Add me to the list of people that never ran much in their life ... and then last summer, I just went out and started doing it. I was initially pretty sore at first, but adjusted quickly. I think the fact that I had avidly been working out 5-6x per week for the months preceding my initial run definitely helped. I usually run 4-5 miles when I go. I haven't tried the Couch to 5k, but I hear very good things about from friends. Good luck! Oh and I love my Sauconys!
Old 03-31-2011, 08:33 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I do have a good pair of shoes. I started walking more last year so I invested in a good pair. I went to a store as mentioned where they measure your arch etc. I wear them every day though, so I may need a new pair. If I remember correctly, I paid 120 for them. Last year I really got into walking and hiking. I love going on the trails and tried to start running them in short intervals with walking when I found a good long straight path.
So anyways, I did find a couch to 5k program and I started tonight! It wasn't as hard as I had remembered from the last time, so maybe all that walking and hiking has built up my endurance a little, one can only hope.
One other question I have though is how fast do you run? Just curious.
Thanks for all the responses!
Jen
Old 03-31-2011, 08:37 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Slowly. LOL! I just, kinda, go. Right now I think I'm usually in the 11 min/mile range. I worry about distance more than speed, like Jen mentioned. Speed comes much later on.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Slowly, lol! just like Col said. I am capable of doing a sub 10 minute mile, but usually I try to stay around the 11 min mile pace. Basically I try to go fast enough that I feel like I am getting a workout, but slow enough that I can continue working out and not dying.

My shoes are well worth teh $100 I spend on a new pair 2-4 times a year. Once I retire them from my 'running' shoes, they become my work shoes, and I wear them all day to work. very rarely do my feet hurt, and when they do they recover so much more quickly than they used to when I ran in crap shoes.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:47 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I tried to do the C5K but I gave up and just ran. I listened to my body and followed what it was telling me. If I felt I needed to walk, I walked for a bit. I'm just coming back from an injury so my time isn't the fastest right now, @ 11 min. miles, but as long as I'm getting out there, it's all good. Plus, I know I'll never win any race. The point is getting out there, running the distance I set for myself, and having fun. How fast I run doesn't matter.

Penny