Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2011, 08:52 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm
Default NSBR: Intuitive Eating

Has anyone tried this approach to weight loss? I read the book years ago. I'm really getting frustrated with my weight and I want to make some changes, but the idea of starting all over with WW does not give me warm and fuzzies, if you KWIM? I joined WW last summer, but I never stuck with it. I lost ten pounds purely from exercising and walking. I decided I wanted to try and get involed with some 5Ks. I ended up getting plantar fasciitis and gained it back. Walking is out of the question atm, I'm thinking about joining the public pool. In reality though, I know that exercising has never been my problem, when I decide to walk, I walk. I have a problem with overeating. End of story. I tried to do some research to see if there were any support forums, blogs, etc. for the Intuitive Eating approach, but mostly what I'm finding is pretty dated. Anyone know of any good resources? Does anyone even know what I'm talking about?
Thanks!
Jen
Old 03-21-2011, 09:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner

What's intuitive eating? Never heard of it!
Old 03-21-2011, 09:52 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Interesting, I had to look it up and read about it - http://www.intuitiveeating.org/conte...tuitive-eating

It really does seem to be a common sense approach to having a healthy relationship with food. I am on a journey to get to a place where I have a healthier relationship with food. I am a binge eater, so it is so hard to break that.

I do count calories, and try to eat more whole grains and veggies, but I don't deny myself normal portions of so called "bad foods". I try and get some physical activity everyday, but not 1 hr + workouts or anything, just 30 mins a day.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:53 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This is what I found: http://www.intuitiveeating.org/
Old 03-21-2011, 09:58 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

A quick google search gave this Yahoo group which is still active. http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...ating_Support/

HTH

Old 03-21-2011, 11:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Never heard of it, but I kind of developed this on my own. I tend to eat what I feel like eating (admitted, I've taught myself to throw more vegetables in), and I've noticed that there are periods where I have a high preference for fat fish, while at other time I have a preference for eggs etc. etc, and these pass and go and I think it basically means my body misses something contained in those foods.

One of the nicest examples is that I never eat chocolate except when my throat is sore. I always thought this was just me, but a friend - totally not knowing this - recently told me that chocolate is good for sore throat, because it contains a substance that is better for stopping cough than codeine. So there, I figured it out on my own. :-)

On the whole I think it's totally unnerving to watch what you eat all the time; and what's more, the theories about what is healthy change every couple of years. Listening to your body makes a lot of sense IMHO, even though I have no idea if it can help with losing weight.

Still there is one universal truth about losing weigh and keeping the loss, and that's finding a diet you can keep for the rest of your life.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Thanks guys! I guess this never really gained much popularity, but I'm suprised. It just makes so much sense. I'm going to try it, it's worth a shot. To me WW works, but it's a struggle because journaling and counting every point honestly just makes me obsess about food all the more.
I booked marked the links above and plan to do some more research. I also joined that Yahoo group to see what it's about. I have to be approved though so I can't see any of the info yet.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This is such sound advice! I always "ate" my emotions and I'm trying to heal that.

Quote:
Honor Your Feelings Without Using Food. Find ways to comfort , nurture, distract, and resolve your issues without using food. Anxiety, loneliness, boredom, anger are emotions we all experience throughout life. Each has its own trigger, and each has its own appeasement. Food won't fix any of these feelings. It may comfort for the short term, distract from the pain, or even numb you into a food hangover. But food won't solve the problem. If anything, eating for an emotional hunger will only make you feel worse in the long run. You'll ultimately have to deal with the source of the emotion, as well as the discomfort of overeating.
On the other hand, I'm not a big sugary-food person, but why do I have a craving for really sugary foods a day or two before my period? Somebody once told me that when you are craving sugar, you actually need protein, but I'm not sure about that.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:38 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

So I never knew there was a name for it, but their 10 Principles pretty much describes my food philosophy exactly. I've been trying to convince my DH that this is how he should approach food but he comes from a fad-dieting, overweight family and it's been a slow process to break him of that mentality. I'm going to have to show him that website so he can see it's not just me, there are experts who recommend the same thing.