Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2011, 01:38 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm
Default Would Weight Watchers be worthwhile for someone wanting to lose only 10 lbs.?

I have had a love/hate relationship with food since I was a teen. I want to stop the dieting/binging cycle. I have gained/lost/gained/lost the same 10 lbs. for a couple of years now. I'm 5'7 and 145 lbs., wanting to get down to 135 and stay there. Would it be worthwhile to sign up for WW? It is my understanding that you have to sign up for 3 months minimum (?) Not sure (at least hoping not) that it would take me that long to lose it. I have heard nothing but great things about WW. My main concern with it is that I will find it to be a pain in the rear to count points all the time. What is the advantage in doing this over just simply counting calories? TIA for any advice you can send my way!

SAHM to three girls (17,12,8) and two (very) spoiled mutts!

5 year breast cancer survivor

Words With Friends user ID: kpnv70

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/Scrapper007/
Old 03-31-2011, 02:02 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I think the 3 months minimum is only for the free registration... if you wanted to just to a month you'd have to pay the registration fee...

It'll probably only take you 1 month... maybe 2 months to lose the 10lbs, but I do find it very helpful counting points because the points are very different than calorie counting. The points are calculated based on fat, fiber, protein and carbohydrates. Fat increases the point values and fiber decreases them... so it helps you to make wiser food choices to stay full throughout the day.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:15 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I think it could take you longer to lose 10 pounds. That's always the hardest to lose, the last 10 pounds. Techinically you should lose 2 pounds a week, but with only 10 pounds, its not as likely you would lose that much. Check out Christine Newman's blog, Listgirl Designs. She has been doing WW for 10 pounds.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:22 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Well, I know that WW has made some changes, so I can't be sure, but I think it would still be worth it especially if you tend to go up and down, because when you do get to your goal weight won't you be considered a lifetimer? Then you can go to the meetings for free? So if you do get in a rut you can just start going again. I know they have made a lot of changes though so I'm not sure if this is still how it works.
Jen
Old 03-31-2011, 05:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have lost 18 pounds on WW and it has taken 12 weeks. I have 6 more to go and I think it will take me a couple more months. I think it's worth it as it changes the way you think about food!
Old 03-31-2011, 07:09 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Kim, I did WW on my own last year and it worked really well. I found a site that gave the formula for calculating your daily point allowance and then found a few more sites that have point calculators (I also think there may be apps that do this too). I'm 5'8" and I started out at 156 and now I'm ~137. I lost the first 10-12 lbs using the WW method. Good luck!
Old 03-31-2011, 07:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The people at the meeting aren't overly sympathetic to your cause when you're that small. When I made lifetime before, I was down to my last 10 pounds when I attended a meeting on a different day than usual and I got a few "what are YOU doing here?". I was like WTH? I was fat! lol
Old 03-31-2011, 09:32 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

It's really changed how I eat and look at food since I've been doing it. I'm on my last 10ish lbs to lose and it's taking me quite a while..Im at like 1 maybe 1.5lbs a week at this point. I think it would be worth it just for the change in how you approach food.

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 04-01-2011, 12:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Kat Stokes Send a message via Yahoo to Kat Stokes

I went to my first meeting tonight. Everyone here seemed really nice - even though I am one of the smallest in the group. I have 24 lbs. to lose for my goal weight. So, if they continue to motivate me, I'll continue to go.

Proudly creating for:
Libby Pritchett

Old 04-01-2011, 12:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My mom went to loose 10 pounds! She did great!