Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2012, 11:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to xboxmom
Default Day one of PFT

I am pretty nervous about my Pelvic Floor Therapy today.....I called my sis in law who is a nurse and she said not to be alarmed when they get all up in my business....Ugh The Doctor isn't even sure if this will work but of course she wants me to try it first before we do any type of surgery. Has anyone else had to deal with any type of uterine prolapse? What was your out come?
Old 04-18-2012, 11:36 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I had a friend who had this and she had something in there from what I remember - not sure if this is the same thing. She ended up with a hysterectomy after having her son though. Hopefully you won't need surgery!
Old 04-18-2012, 12:06 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

I'm dealing with bladder and uterine prolapse - have been for almost six years now. I just talked to my doc about it and she said that it's bad enough that I would be a candidate for surgery, but since it means NO lifting for six weeks, they don't want me to do it until Kaylin is at least 2-3 years old. So, for now I'm stuck. She did give me some exercises to do to help strengthen those muscles. But, she said that's mainly to help with incontinence issues, and I don't really have a problem with that. They are also talking to me about a genetic study that they're doing about pelvic floor disorders, and since my mom also had prolapse issues, I'll probably participate in that.

Have they talked to you about using a pessary, Kim? They tried to fit me with one, but none of them would stay in place, so it's not an option for me. Sounds like a lot of people use them with success, though, so it might be something you can ask about.

Oh - and yeah, those kind of appointments are sooooo not fun. When they were trying to find a pessary that would work for me, there was a resident helping on the appointment, so I got double the poking and prodding. Ugh!

Good luck with everything Kim!

Old 04-18-2012, 12:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for the info Lydia, its nice to not feel alone in this even though it sucks to have it happening. My OB did say if the PT does not work we would fit me with a Pessary though that idea does not sound very fun either.

My Mom didn't have prolapse but my grandmother did so I am not sure if it's genetic or if it's just that I have had 5 kids and my Grandmother had a really really bad breach birth with her second child and was told to NEVER have children again and then she had my Mom.

As for incontinence I only have issues with that from running or jumping or sneezing. Though I guess that could get worse as I age.

Seriously though I left that appointment just crying and feeling so "old." My husband does not understand at all and now I have gotten to the point where I don't even want to discuss any of it with him.

So I will jump through the hoops the Dr. wants me to but honestly from the sounds of things surgery seems like the only thing that might help. I have no one to lift up so the 6 weeks of no lifting would be completely fine for me. I just want to be fixed and not have to go to any more doctors. Sigh.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:54 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmom View Post
My Mom didn't have prolapse but my grandmother did so I am not sure if it's genetic or if it's just that I have had 5 kids and my Grandmother had a really really bad breach birth with her second child and was told to NEVER have children again and then she had my Mom.
Yeah - my mom had seven kids, and I had a 10 pounder. It was after that baby that I started to notice problems. So, I'm not sure that there is a genetic link for me either, but I'll probably let them include me in the study anyway. I guess it can't hurt.

Oh - and husbands just really don't understand how it is with women and their bodies. They just can't relate to the drastic changes that happen when we have babies and how that affects us mentally and emotionally. And, all this girlie stuff makes them uncomfortable. So, I'm sorry your hubby isn't being very understanding. He's a man. HUGS!

Old 04-18-2012, 04:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks Lydia, it went ok today. Mostly just talked and gave me paper work. She did however felt to see i f I am doing the kegels right....I am, I just can't hold them long. Something to work on.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I'm dealing with bladder and uterine prolapse - have been for almost six years now. I just talked to my doc about it and she said that it's bad enough that I would be a candidate for surgery, but since it means NO lifting for six weeks, they don't want me to do it until Kaylin is at least 2-3 years old. So, for now I'm stuck. She did give me some exercises to do to help strengthen those muscles. But, she said that's mainly to help with incontinence issues, and I don't really have a problem with that. They are also talking to me about a genetic study that they're doing about pelvic floor disorders, and since my mom also had prolapse issues, I'll probably participate in that.

Have they talked to you about using a pessary, Kim? They tried to fit me with one, but none of them would stay in place, so it's not an option for me. Sounds like a lot of people use them with success, though, so it might be something you can ask about.
I'm similar -- except without the uterine part. I've tried the non-surgical stuff and it doesn't really help (and a pessary wouldn't work for me either), so I'm actually thinking about going in soon and getting the surgery done. My son was an 8 pounder with a beautiful (hard) round noggin.