Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2016, 10:59 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKim View Post
We use hours in school. In Kansas, school districts have the option of using days or hours. So same number of hours in less days. Saved millions for the district. Our choice was work longer days or they'll fire the nurses and custodians and outsource their work.
Being in that position stinks, but I'm glad they were able to find a way to keep those jobs. Cost was probably behind our district's decision to switch to counting hours, too. Our school day is 6 hours and 45 minutes; we added 15 or 20 minutes a day when we switched to counting hours.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:37 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

we get out the 16 and go back Jan 4 (teachers the 3rd)..I think they go 180 days here. We also started Aug 4 and had a whole week at Thanksgiving and a thurs-mon in October around some holiday and will again in Feb around some holiday..plus a week for spring break. We're done May 26

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 12-10-2016, 09:21 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie1977 View Post
Man...what a terrible position for your district to be in. What time does your day start/end?
Elementary runs 8:50 to 4:50. Staff hates it because it used to be 4:20 and we'd get home before rush hour started. Now rush hour has all the teachers and buses right in the thick of it. It's already getting dark right now when we're putting kids on the bus. I'm worried about January/Feb when it's also going to be snowing and kids are already supposed to be on the bus until 5:50 (I have 3 year olds who are on the bus for up to an hour each way) and then buses are late due to weather....
Old 12-10-2016, 10:49 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Our kids go until the 21st over here on the East Coast, and are back on the 3rd I think.... Christmas Break seems to get shorter and shorter every year, I can remember it being 3 full weeks when I was in school, and now they barely get 2 full weeks.

I feel for the Teachers too.... besides having all the over excited kids to deal with so close to Christmas Day, we are going through a MAJOR issue with our school system. The Teacher's Union and Government are "fighting" and teachers are now on Work to Rule (so basically they are doing nothing above and beyond their basic job), so no Christmas Concerts this year, no Breakfast with Santa on the last day of school, there will be no Christmas Bizzarre (the home and school board sets up a 'shopping day' for the kids with donations of new of gently used items so the kids can go shopping for their families - this is the major fundraiser of the year that they use towards field trips in the spring), no christmas dance for the high school kids, no Elves were allowed to enter the classrooms, no in class holiday parties/treats on the last day, the schools usually go skating before break, there will be none of that...No school sports or other after school activities. Those poor teachers who are fighting for the kids are getting poo'd on hard and parents are getting mad.... this is province wide.... they even shut down all schools altogether for a day and at that point things weren't looking good. *sigh* The Government along with stubborn Union reps are starting to feel like Scrooge vs. the Grinch, and the kids are caught up in it and have had everything they love taken away from them in their process
Old 12-10-2016, 01:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh Jenn, that is just awful!
Old 12-10-2016, 09:05 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Man...that's a long day for them, Kim. Poor babies aren't getting home until supper time.

Jenn! That's terrible! The kids are the ones suffering the most!

Old 12-11-2016, 07:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My kids have half a day on the 23rd (which really stinks...my husband is even off from work the whole day!), and then go back on January 2. They really don't have much of a break this year. They cut out all the extra days off they used to get even for hunting season which schools here in PA used to have off for...I think they are worried about snow days!