Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 01-28-2020, 03:20 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Let's talk paper patterns...

I would love to hear your answers to the following questions:

1. Do you have a favorite pattern type that you like to see in all the kits you buy?

2. Do you like big, bold patterns or prefer more subtle ones?

3. How many main patterns, ie. a pattern that supports the theme of the kit, do you expect in a kit?

4. Do you like tone on tone patterns?

5. Do you want to see at least one type of floral pattern in a kit you are buying?

6. Grungy or clean, how do you like your paper patterns to be texturized?

TIA for answering!
Old 01-28-2020, 03:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

1. Do you have a favorite pattern type that you like to see in all the kits you buy?
I like florals, circles, stripes and faded patterns.

I like to mix it up and use both but...the soft pretty faded patterns always catch my eye.

3. How many main patterns, ie. a pattern that supports the theme of the kit, do you expect in a kit?
I like a bit of variety, mixing up colors and patterns, but don't pay attention to how many "themed" papers there are.

I don't dislike them but don't use them much.

5. Do you want to see at least one type of floral pattern in a kit you are buying?
You can never go wrong with a floral

I love grunge. Stamped, inked, messy paper really grabs my attention.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Floral, Plaid, Polka dots

I prefer more sutle/smaller patters to bigger/bold. I really like the photos to be spotlight, so the more sutle/smaller patterns usually work better for me.

1-3 that are super-themed, but I love when kits are super versatile. I have 6 kids ranging from little to teenager, boys and girls; so if I can use a kit more than once or in more than one way its a super bonus.

Yes.

Yes, at least one.

A little of each. Variety is always good!
Old 01-28-2020, 04:22 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Plaid is a general go-to.

I don't mind big bold patterns as long as subtler ones (or solids) are also included.

I've never thought about it before, to be honest.

Yes, I will use these when there are no solids. I usually journal on a paper vs. on a journaling card or element (too many words, not enough space!) so I need a solid or tone-on-tone for legibility.

I don't know that they are a must-have for me but I like them.

6. Grungy or clean -- how do you like your paper patterns to be texturized?
I like some grungy or painted edges.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm always drawn to a kit if it has a beautiful floral (mixed with foliage) like the one you did for Sparkle and Shine. I also like those if there are 2 that are exactly the same but with a different color background.
I also almost always use stripes too.
If there is wood I also almost always use it.
Plaid is nice but can be made with a stripes on my own if it's not there.

I like a mix of big patterns and small patterns.

1-2 pattern that have all the colors of the kit. Then I really like to see pattern with a single color from the kit (and a different pattern for each color)

I would need to see an example...

YES!

doesn't matter to me

Last edited by Leablahblah; 01-28-2020 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:47 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

1. Do you have a favorite pattern type that you like to see in all the kits you buy? I love plaids.

2. Do you like big, bold patterns or prefer more subtle ones? I love both, and depending on my mood or the way I'm going with my layout, I shrink a paper so that the patterns are smaller.

3. How many main patterns, ie. a pattern that supports the theme of the kit, do you expect in a kit? I'm not really sure, but, as long as there are patterned papers AND solid papers in A kit, I'm good with it.

5. Do you want to see at least one type of floral pattern in a kit you are buying? sure.

6. Grungy or clean, how do you like your paper patterns to be texturized? both.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would love to hear your answers to the following questions:

woodgrain background options are always a fave! If you do not consider that a pattern I always love tone on tone patterns so that I can get a solid feel but without a boring blank space

both, depends on how they fit in a layout but would lean towards subtler or floral every time

I would not say expect, but if there is ten different papers or so I feel like I have good options usually.

LOVE

Not a must but I am very partial towards striking floral patterns, nice contrast, not so much pastelly or wallpapery

absolutely both!
Old 01-28-2020, 11:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love wood, chevrons, florals.

I really love a variety big, bold, small, subtle.

I've never really thought about how many patterns I would expect.

I don't tend to use tone on tone.

I don't necessarily expect at least one floral pattern. If it works with the kit, it's nice, but not a requirement.

Like I said before, I really like variety, so I like both grungy & clean. I started as a paper scrapper, and Bazzill was one of my favorite textures.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:16 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Stripes/Plaid

Not really a fan of big and bold unless it's an art kit. I mostly like smaller ones and often resize papers.

patterns - at least 10? but please have solids---a whole pattern kit is hard to work with when there isn't solids. I say that and I can't remember the last time I used a solid!

It's alright as long as it's not overdone in the kit or all the time from that designer.

Again, depending on the kit, floral is okay. There are certain kits that florals might not work like a sporty kit.

6. Grungy or clean, how do you like your paper patterns to be textured?
Every kit is different. If it's emotional, artsy, etc. I love grungy. For the most part, I like clean especially feminine kits---but please have amazing paint!
Old 01-29-2020, 07:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

1. Do you have a favorite pattern type that you like to see in all the kits you buy? Dots and stripes

2. Do you like big, bold patterns or prefer more subtle ones? I like the bold but find small patterns more versatile.

3. How many main patterns, ie. a pattern that supports the theme of the kit, do you expect in a kit? Three is pretty good

4. Do you like tone on tone patterns? Yes

5. Do you want to see at least one type of floral pattern in a kit you are buying? Not necessarily especially in a masculine kit

6. Grungy or clean, how do you like your paper patterns to be texturized? Clean is more versatile but a few grungy ones are great also
Old 01-29-2020, 07:52 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Tone on tone patterns, woodgrain and floral

Subtle!

3. How many main patterns, ie. a pattern that supports the theme of the kit, do you expect in a kit? 2 or 3 is perfect!

YES!! Those are my favorite.

It's a nice-to-have, not a must-have.

Clean!

Old 01-29-2020, 08:01 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

dots, stripes, mini floral

subtle but I like big bold for BGs

10 or 12, all patterned and as there are subtle I don't need solids LOL

yessss
yes but I rather the flowers are small

both of them
Old 01-29-2020, 08:17 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Plaid, thin stripes, multi colored dots, floral

Both

I like 2-3 themey ones, and then 2-3 non-themey that use all the colors

yup!

Not always, (like a kit for more masculine stuff does not need flowers) but I do like floral papers when the the pattern is on the smaller side

Both! And yes to texture.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Last edited by StacyLynn; 01-29-2020 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:52 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I'm a sucker for big bold patterns (big stripes, big bursts, big plaid) but I also love arty distressed mixed media kind of patterns.

2. Do you like big, bold patterns or prefer more subtle ones? Both (helpful, I know)

3. How many main patterns, ie. a pattern that supports the theme of the kit, do you expect in a kit? I don't tend to use themey paper...BUT, when I was scrapbooking my kids when they were younger, I did. So maybe just a handful 2-3

4. Do you like tone on tone patterns? YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Do you want to see at least one type of floral pattern in a kit you are buying? Not a huge floral paper person, but they are super pretty...but I would say floral if it matches the kit? I wouldn't expect one in say...a back to school kit.

6. Grungy or clean, how do you like your paper patterns to be texturized? Both. I do love a good grunged up paper. But clean textures look really nice when I'm scrapping a traditional "paper" scrapped page. I literally feel like I am no help because I'm all over the place.

Proudly creating for Traci Reed Happy Creator for Studio Basic Designs
Creative Guest for Kristin Cronin-Barrow Feb-Mar

GALLERY | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
Old 01-29-2020, 10:39 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

1. Do you have a favorite pattern type that you like to see in all the kits you buy? I love florals, stripes & plaid.

2. Do you like big, bold patterns or prefer more subtle ones? I find bigger bolder patterns more difficult to use & prefer subtle.

3. How many main patterns, ie. a pattern that supports the theme of the kit, do you expect in a kit? 2-3 maybe - I usually expect the elements to express most of the theme

4. Do you like tone on tone patterns? yes

Yes - unless it is a completely masculine/boyish theme. I also like to have 2 different floral patterns - one big - one small.

6. Grungy or clean, how do you like your paper patterns to be texturized? I like a little texture.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

1. Do you have a favorite pattern type that you like to see in all the kits you buy? Plaid is my fave, either that or a stripe that pulls in all the colors from the kit

2. Do you like big, bold patterns or prefer more subtle ones? Like them yes, actually find that I can use them most definitely NOT always because the scale is too big

3. How many main patterns, ie. a pattern that supports the theme of the kit, do you expect in a kit? I don't always find a use for overly themed papers, they can be too busy but I might use them as a filler on a pocket page

4. Do you like tone on tone patterns? Yes, like others have said I'll use them like a solid or to clip to something to add dimension

5. Do you want to see at least one type of floral pattern in a kit you are buying? I do like me some florals but I can definitely think of themes where florals might seem out of place

6. Grungy or clean, how do you like your paper patterns to be texturized? I'm 50/50 on this one. I like 'em both.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:52 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

1. Do you have a favorite pattern type that you like to see in all the kits you buy? I like stripes (anywhere from 2 colors to all the kit colors) and plaid.

2. Do you like big, bold patterns or prefer more subtle ones? I usually prefer the more subtle ones so that they do not take away from the photo(s).

3. How many main patterns, ie. a pattern that supports the theme of the kit, do you expect in a kit? Because the number of papers vary in a kit, I say about 33%. That way the kit can be used for other layouts that are not themed.

4. Do you like tone on tone patterns? Yes.

5. Do you want to see at least one type of floral pattern in a kit you are buying? For non-feminine kits, not really. My son is the main subject of my layouts, and I rarely use floral patterns on his layouts. For themes like Easter or Spring, I like to see at least one floral pattern.

6. Grungy or clean, how do you like your paper patterns to be texturized? I prefer clean, but I also like a tad bit of grunge.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

plaid, stripes, and polka dots

A mix of both.

3. How many main patterns, ie. a pattern that supports the theme of the kit, do you expect in a kit? I am not a big theme scrapper so most often I won't use those.

Yes

Yes, even though I have all boys I love floral papers.

The grungier the better.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love plaid!

Subtle ones!

At least 5!?!

Yes!

yes in it fits the theme of the kit

clean
Old 01-29-2020, 05:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Woodgrain, dots, ombre

subtle

Rarely use theme papers

LOVE them!!

Not essential here

Like some grunge or edging or texture so it's not too plain if I use it for background
Old 01-29-2020, 08:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

1. Do you have a favorite pattern type that you like to see in all the kits you buy? I love when kits have a good plaid and a floral that showcases the kit colors.

2. Do you like big, bold patterns or prefer more subtle ones? Both. I like when a kit contains some of each. I prefer not to have all of the patterns in a kit be bold.

3. How many main patterns, ie. a pattern that supports the theme of the kit, do you expect in a kit? Patterns that support the them? Some themes are really tricky, so it really depends on the theme. I actually don't care as much about papers supporting the theme if many elements do.

4. Do you like tone on tone patterns? I do, a lot. I also like tiny subtle patterns so that they can be used as solids, even if there is a little more color.

5. Do you want to see at least one type of floral pattern in a kit you are buying? Not necessarily. I love a good floral, but if it is just thrown in as a token paper then I can usually tell. It has to FEEL like part of the kit!

6. Grungy or clean, how do you like your paper patterns to be texturized? Clean. I can grunge things up myself. As for texture, same thing. I can add more texture if I want. I've found that trends change a lot and I'd rather a more classic, less texturized paper than something overtly trendy that won't look great in a year.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

1. Do you have a favorite pattern type that you like to see in all the kits you buy? Any. I like quarterfoil, stripes, plaid, polka dots

2. Do you like big, bold patterns or prefer more subtle ones? I like a mix of both. I like subtle ones for paper pieces and bold ones for backgrounds.

3. How many main patterns, ie. a pattern that supports the theme of the kit, do you expect in a kit? 3-5

4. Do you like tone on tone patterns? yes, but not a ton of them.

5. Do you want to see at least one type of floral pattern in a kit you are buying? yes, depending on the theme of the kit. It's not a requirement though.

6. Grungy or clean, how do you like your paper patterns to be texturized? I like both. It depends on the overall style of the kit or theme of the kit.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:25 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Bokehs, big florals, chevrons, and big dots

BOTH!

A few for me, I don't require themed papers as long as I have a variety of plain patterns and solids

Yes

YES!

Grungy, Clean, Folded, Creased, ALL of the ABOVE!

Old 01-29-2020, 11:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm so glad you asked!

1. Do you have a favorite pattern type that you like to see in all the kits you buy? I always want a nice floral & a woodgrain & a subtle polka dot.

2. Do you like big, bold patterns or prefer more subtle ones? I like BOTH! Big, bold patterns are my favorite, and I really like to use a subtle but not plain bg, as well. I really love a white bg with some kind of subtle pattern.

3. How many main patterns, ie. a pattern that supports the theme of the kit, do you expect in a kit? I don't love themes, and I rarely use a paper that supports the theme. I mostly like word art/strips that are in line with the theme.

I don't know what this means.

5. Do you want to see at least one type of floral pattern in a kit you are buying? ALWAYS

6. Grungy or clean, how do you like your paper patterns to be texturized? Clean

Last edited by joelsgirl; 01-29-2020 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:13 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
I don't know what this means.
A tone on tone is a pattern that uses two shades of the same color for the pattern and background. Hope that makes sense.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:14 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for all the answers, Ladies. It will be really helpful to me in my future designs.
Old 01-30-2020, 02:16 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm a little late to the party!!

I'm drawn to florals and woodgrains

Bold patterns are great - but I prefer smaller patterns because I like to crop the papers ...

Like the others, I don't rely on a themed paper (though they are really fun to use) - so 1 or 2 would suit me

Yes I do!

Yes - floral background usually are the first thing that catches my eye when I look at a kit preview

I personally like cleaner background papers - but that's because my style of scrapping is more clean than grungy.
Old 01-30-2020, 03:24 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
A tone on tone is a pattern that uses two shades of the same color for the pattern and background. Hope that makes sense.
aaaah ok! Yes I love those!