Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-03-2018, 01:06 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Great Wolf Lodge

Tell me all about it AND tell me.. is there way to find really good deals because this is really ouch on the pocket book but we're looking at this as a possibility maybe once. We aren't terribly far from one in washington..

Pros/Cons.. all of it. Let me know
Old 03-03-2018, 01:30 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Which one in Washington??? I live about 45 mins from one. It’s worth it for the cost for one night but we couldn’t bring ourselves to spend more than one night. We took my kids for one of their birthdays and they loved it. Just prepare for TONS of chlorine. I’m allergic to chlorine so I had a hard time but my kids loved it and it was worth going!

Old 03-03-2018, 01:34 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

is there more than one? Apparently it's further than I thought from me but I don't know haha..

It would be one of the last places *I'd* want to go.. haha. I think Lucas is allergic to chlorine too.. sometimes he comes home with a rash from the pool here.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:36 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

LOVE Great Wolf Lodge!!!!! I'm getting ready to leave for the day but I'll be back to tell you more!

Check Groupon for deals. Check their local Facebook Page for deals. Search online for good deals. If you are military, they offer military discount rates.

The BEST and CHEAPEST time to go is NOT around a holiday and Tuesday through Thursday. If you look at their calendar of prices, you'll notice Friday through Sunday is really high and the closer you get to a holiday, the prices raise.

I'm off for the day, but I'll check back to see/tell you more about GWL
Old 03-03-2018, 01:37 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I thought there were two Washington one, one in the West and one in the east, but I could be wrong!

Old 03-03-2018, 01:39 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi&co. View Post
Which one in Washington??? I live about 45 mins from one. Itís worth it for the cost for one night but we couldnít bring ourselves to spend more than one night. We took my kids for one of their birthdays and they loved it. Just prepare for TONS of chlorine. Iím allergic to chlorine so I had a hard time but my kids loved it and it was worth going!
We have one here in the Springs . . . . .just saying. My husband's unit has done three retreats at GWL. We've gotten to go on each one (they pay for his room anyway, so we get to tag along!) It's not as awesome here in the Springs. But it's nice for the day.

The best that we've heard near here is in Kansas City, but that's quite the drive.

We have gone to GWL in the Poconos (PA) about 7 times and LOVED each visit! That place has everything! Lazy river, big slides for the big kids, small slides for the younger kids and baby/toddler slides for the tiny ones! There's so much to do at the Pocono's GWL. We miss it. Their MagiQuest there is 1000 x's better than here. My kids stopped playing MagiQuest here because it's dumb and boring.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:53 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi&co. View Post
I thought there were two Washington one, one in the West and one in the east, but I could be wrong!
I think there is just the one in the west but I went looking and found this place which is much closer to me and maybe a better alternative.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attractio...ogg_Idaho.html
Old 03-03-2018, 02:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We stayed in a place similar here in Indy once with the kids, the smell of chlorine even in your room was overwhelming. The kids loved it but we lett with massive headaches the next morning.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:00 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellasspace View Post
We stayed in a place similar here in Indy once with the kids, the smell of chlorine even in your room was overwhelming. The kids loved it but we lett with massive headaches the next morning.
this is really good to know!!

ps. your siggy and avatar - CUTENESS!
Old 03-03-2018, 03:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
this is really good to know!!

ps. your siggy and avatar - CUTENESS!
Thank you Kristin
Old 03-03-2018, 07:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We went to the one down in Centralia and I had a lot of fun. Not too fun with two toddlers though (1 and 3) and super expensive. We took turns watching the kids so we could go down the big slides. The kids had fun but we are limited to the kiddie pool pretty much. Food is expensive, hotel is expensive... not sure about deals. I think my husband put it on a credit card that got him lots of rewards.

Creating for Crystal Livesay - Mar 2018 to Present
Creating for LJS Designs - Aug 2018 to Present
Creating for Jocee Designs - Jan 2020 to Present
Guest for Kristin Cronin-Barrow - Nov/Dec 2017 - Jul/Aug/Sep 2019 - May/June 2020
Guest for Studio Basic - Nov/Dec 2018/Jan 2019
Guest for WendyP - Oct/Nov 2019
Guest for DSI - Jan/Feb/Mar 2020
Old 03-03-2018, 10:07 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

We've gone to the one in Grand Mound, WA a couple of times. I think it is fun because it works for both my elementary school age kiddo and (at the time) preteen. It does get spendy though. My advice...

- As others have said, go in the off days, midweek when school is in session is the best deal.
- Bring your own breakfast. When we were last there (about 1.5 years ago) the breakfast buffet was $15/person no matter the age and beverages were additional. We paid like $70 for our family to have breakfast and the kids pretty much just had yogurt and toast, ugh!
- In fact, eat off site as much as possible. All the food is expensive and it's nothing special.
- Set your kid's expectations before you go. There are money pits around every corner; laser tag, mini-golf, arcade, Magiquest game, fancy ice cream shop, kiddie spa, eye-catching mega drinks in 'collector' mugs, ropes course and on and on and on. We tell our kids the trip is the room/swimming and they can pick one extra activity and one junk food type snack.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:09 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have to say the Magiquest game is really the only thing we spent on and it was so fun! It was a lot of walking through the hotel as all the stops are in various places, but super fun! And yes I agree, eat elsewhere. Don't even bother with the food there. The pizza isn't all that great but the price was outrageous!

Old 03-04-2018, 01:59 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

These are old (back in 2015), but this was my son's first time at GWL

As far as GWL:
deals- like I said, check Groupon, their Facebook page (of the place you want to go), call them and ask them if they have any specials and check their websites under "specials".

Don't go during holidays
Go during the mid-week (tuesday through thursday)
If they have an indoor/outdoor, summers are usually more expensive

The hotel rooms, there is the basic hotel room which sleeps four, but you can add one more person for $50 extra each night. There are themed rooms, which also sleep more than 4 if you want to take extra people with you.

The hotel rooms are always clean. They have quiet hours to keep the kids playing MagiQuest from running up and down the hallways being loud. If you need anything, the staff is quick to bring it to your room. We've never smelled chlorine in our rooms, but yes the park smells like chlorine.

The kids can't go in the waterpark by themselves unless they are 13 (I think that's the right age). All children need to be accompanied by a parent. However that means you can take them in the park and sit in the chairs (that are all throughout the park) and chill, having your child check in several times.

There is food there, some expensive, some cheap. The food isn't the greatest. We always take food to our room and make it there to save on extra money.

There are a lot of things to do like obstacle courses, nail salon, minituare golf and more like MagiQuest for the older kids and something for the younger kids, I can't remember the name of it. Of course those things cost extra!

They do have free crafts at certain times of the day. They also have a play room for the kids where you can drop them off and use the gym equipment. They have story hour in the evening an moving doll story (think small world dolls) and then have a dance session to end the day--all of that is free!
Old 03-04-2018, 03:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have been to several indoor waterparks and Great Wolf Lodge isn't our favorite but we didn't hate it either. Don't go on a weekend and try to stay during the week. Go to their website and sign up for their mailing list, I get emails all of the time with offers during off peak times with cheaper rates. Don't get sucked into the fancier rooms!! A standard room with a mini fridge doesn't look as pretty as a suite with a kitchen and balcony but the amount of time that you spend in your room just isn't worth the extra cost.
Old 03-04-2018, 04:02 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I tried to get us to go Feb 23 weekend but it didn't work out. It is definitely on our Bucket List.
Old 03-04-2018, 04:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The one in western WA is my hometown (Centralia)! We've been there a few times- it's a lot more fun with the kids being a bit older & good swimmers. They love the wave pool & slides! It is spendy- but if you are a member of any groups- you can find a group rate usually- we did our local pta group number here & got a room for much cheaper! Obviously, weekends are more spendy & times of the year matter too. We last went in November of 2016 right at the beginning of their holiday stuff (they make it snow in the lobby & have other fun Christmasy stuffs!) Personally, my kids could care less about magiquest, but loved the arcade. I love the starbucks in the lobby & the reading a bedtime story at the clocktower show! lol!

As far as food- yes it's terrible & spendy. My stepdad (passed away 9 yrs ago) started Northwest Sausage & Deli (and Dicks Brewery) and it's just a mile or so down the road. They have fantastic food (and beer!) His daughter & family run the business now & have done a wonderful job- like add kids menus! lol!
It's also not far to go into centralia for food or even up to Olympia (we lived there for 7 years before moving to spokane!) If you want rec for Olympia restaurants- just let me know!

As far as Eastern WA- I have never been to the Kellogg water park- but my kids have & loved it! It probably would be closer for you! Have you ever been to Silverwood in Athol, ID? We LOVE silverwood- their waterpark is outdoors, but the whole place is a blast in the summertime!
Old 03-04-2018, 05:23 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieN1 View Post
As far as Eastern WA- I have never been to the Kellogg water park- but my kids have & loved it! It probably would be closer for you! Have you ever been to Silverwood in Athol, ID? We LOVE silverwood- their waterpark is outdoors, but the whole place is a blast in the summertime!
The one in kellogg is actually what I started looking at yesterday! so much closer and I imagine way more affordable.

We've passed by silverwood but never stopped! I am SO not an amusement/crowd type person but I think we might bite the bullet and do it. SO many of the reviews say boulder beach is always super crowded so it makes me so nervous! :O
Old 03-04-2018, 05:25 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I was looking at the one in PA and found that if you book a number of months ahead and during the week, we were able to get the rate to 199.99 per night. I could handle that. Not the 499.99 they wanted originally.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
The one in kellogg is actually what I started looking at yesterday! so much closer and I imagine way more affordable.

We've passed by silverwood but never stopped! I am SO not an amusement/crowd type person but I think we might bite the bullet and do it. SO many of the reviews say boulder beach is always super crowded so it makes me so nervous! :O
Our plan of action is always get there right at opening- head straight to boulder beach & claim chairs. We then play in waterpark in the morning, then do other side in the afternoon. We also try to go on a Thurs or Friday- weekends are crazy! You could even do 2 days, Thursday at boulder beach & Friday at the amusement park.

We are thinking of doing a BC tour road trip this summer! I'll have to pick your brain!
Old 03-04-2018, 06:36 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieN1 View Post
We are thinking of doing a BC tour road trip this summer! I'll have to pick your brain!
pick away. BC road trips are awesome!
Old 03-04-2018, 10:08 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Don't you homeschool? They often have homeschool rates. You can always call and inquire about the dates of the homeschool rates for a cheaper rate (which is far cheaper than the military rate)
Old 03-04-2018, 10:15 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We've gone several times to the Great Wolf Lodge in Wisconsin Dells. Honestly, I think our kids are kind of outgrowing that (BUT...Wisconsin Dells has like 90283797 water parks, so there are lots of options there and some have a lot more options for older kids), but we've enjoyed it when we go. We have always gotten a deal - my husband is on their email list and gets deals sent to him. Unfortunately, some of the times we've gotten a great deal are when we've been able to go last minute (like for a weekend trip - which works for us since we're only about 3 hours from it). But we've gotten some deals a few months ahead of time too. I enjoy waterparks - except the whole bathing suit thing.

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda