Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2011, 10:32 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default Bread Maker recipes

Do you have any?

Last spring I took home a bread maker I found in a basement closet at my dad's house. I finally took it out yesterday and after some research to find a manual online so I could find out how to work it, I made a loaf of bread. I'm so happy that it is working and my kids loved the bread. We have practically eaten the whole loaf already. So now I need some fun bread recipes or fun places to look for them. Do you have any favorites?

Oh, and I'm bringing some white chicken chili to a potluck this weekend and would love some fun bread to go with it - any ideas?
Old 11-10-2011, 10:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So far I have only used the recipes in the book/manual that came with it ... I'd be interested in some tried and true recipes too!

We tried pizza dough a couple of weeks ago ... made 2 pizzas with it ... thinking I put it on parchment paper on an airbake pan ... but the crust needed to be crisper ... didn't care for the banana bread recipe in the book though.

I remember one time, and I can't remember exactly HOW I did it ... but I added food coloring to the bread dough for "Blue & Gold Banquet" ... had blue & yellow bread! LOL I really thought it would turn green.

Anyone have recipes they would like to share?
Old 11-11-2011, 02:14 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I love our bread machine! Monday night is bread night here; I always make fresh bread to go with dinner on Mondays. I have some favorite recipes, but unfortunately they're not online so I can't just link you up. These 2 are both from The Bread Machine Cookbook by Donna Rathmell German and make a 2 lb loaf.

One of the best (and probably highest calorie) breads we make, Portuguese Sweet Bread:
milk 7/8 cup warmed to 80 degrees F
eggs 2
margarine or butter 2 Tbs
sugar 1/3 cup
salt 1 tsp
bread flour 3 cups
yeast 2 tsp

Bake on sweet or basic cycle.

Whole wheat oatmeal bread:
water 1 1/3 cups warmed to 80 degrees F
margarine or butter 3 Tbs
eggs 1
sugar 3 Tbs
salt 1 tsp
oats 2/3 cup
wheat germ 1/3 cup
whole wheat flour 1 cup*
bread flour 3 cups*
yeast 2.5 tsp

Bake on whole wheat or basic cycle.
*When I'm using regular whole wheat flour I stick with the proportions as written. When I'm using white whole wheat flour I sometimes substitute it for some of the regular flour so that there are up to 2 cups of white whole wheat and 2 cups of regular bread flour. I often add 3-4 tsp of wheat gluten per loaf to my bread. For most breads (all but the highest rising) I prefer to add gluten, but it's even more important when I substitute flours.

Enjoy!
Old 11-11-2011, 09:33 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'll be stalking this thread for ideas. We've been doing the boxed bread mix thing which is good, but I like homemade soooo much better.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:58 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

This is our favorite recipe and it's for dinner rolls...they are SOOO good.

1 egg at room temp plus enough water to equal 1 c. + 5 tbsp
1/4 c. canola oil
1/4 c. sugar
2 tsp. salt
4 c. bread flour
2 tsp yeast

Run on dough cycle..makes 2 lbs or 24 rolls. Once the cycle is done divide dough into 24 equal pieces and shape into balls. Place on greased baking sheet (I usually bake mine in a cast iron skillet) cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size. Bake at 350.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:39 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

love my bread machine!!! Mine is quite old (DH got it for me for Christmas almost 10 years ago!!!) so not sure how they are today or what they come with. But mine came with a nice little recipe book and I make quite a few things from it: French Bread, Buttermilk bread, whole wheat bread and the pizza dough that comes with it!! Then I have these 2 books:

Better Homes and Gardens Best Bread Machine Recipes

Better Homes and Gardens Bread Machine Bounty

Then this is my favorite "roll" recipe: I use it for hamburger rolls, hot dog rolls and even dinner rolls!!! They are seriously to die for!!!

http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-...-machine-80413

Here are a few I love from my machine's recipe book:
Basic French Bread (1lb) - My machine has a french bread setting I use
3/4 cup water
2 cups Unbleached flour
1 tsp Sea Salt
1 1.2 tsp active dry yeast

Buttermilk Bread (1lb) - I use my white bread setting on light crust
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 1/2 cups unbleached flour
1 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp butter/canola oil
2 tbsp honey
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 tsp active dry yeast

Pizza Dough (1lbs -make about a 12 inch circle) I use the dough setting
3/4 cup warm water
1 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 1/4 cups unbleached flour
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp active dry yeast

Egg Bread (1 1/2lb) - I use my white bread setting on light crust
2/3 cup warm water
1 1/2 tbsp oil
2 eggs
3 cups unbleached flour
2 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast

My favorite recipe from the BHG Bread Machine Bounty Book (we make this like twice a week!!! )
Peanut Butter Snack Bread (1lb) - I use my white bread setting on light crust
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup peanut butter
1 egg
2 cups unbleached flour
4 tsp sugar (I use brown..but the recipe just calls for "sugar")
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp active dry yeast
1/2 cup chopped peanuts

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 11-16-2011, 12:20 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Nikki ... would this be all the dough you could make at one time in the breadmaker? I was thinking of Thanksgiving and how many rolls we would be apt to eat that day!

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiARNGwife View Post
This is our favorite recipe and it's for dinner rolls...they are SOOO good.

1 egg at room temp plus enough water to equal 1 c. + 5 tbsp
1/4 c. canola oil
1/4 c. sugar
2 tsp. salt
4 c. bread flour
2 tsp yeast

Run on dough cycle..makes 2 lbs or 24 rolls. Once the cycle is done divide dough into 24 equal pieces and shape into balls. Place on greased baking sheet (I usually bake mine in a cast iron skillet) cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size. Bake at 350.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:21 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Are you all familiar with the Kings Hawaiian rolls? Wondering if anyone has made a recipe similar to their taste ... that they would recommend. Thanks!

Last edited by Sharon Kay; 11-16-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:16 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Kay View Post
Nikki ... would this be all the dough you could make at one time in the breadmaker? I was thinking of Thanksgiving and how many rolls we would be apt to eat that day!

Thanks!
It depends on your bread machine's capacity. Mine can do up to 2 lbs, so Nikki's recipe would fill it. Some machines can only do 1.5 lbs at once, but others may be able to do more than 2 lbs.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:28 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah mine only goes up to 2 lbs too so it fill mine. I'm actually making these to take to our dinner on the grounds after church Sunday..so I'm going to have to do about 3 batches lol And it says it makes 24 but I usually roll them out fairly large so I only get about 16-18 per batch.

They are GOOD though..anytime we have a family thing everyone wants me to make the rolls

Old 11-16-2011, 08:34 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just go on Allrecipes and look for ones that are highly rated. Haven't had one fail yet!
Old 11-16-2011, 08:52 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I will definitely have to try them out. So when you make 3 batches ... You would have to bake each batch separately because of the rise times ... Correct?

I have never been known for my rolls ... This will surprise the family. :-) thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiARNGwife View Post
Yeah mine only goes up to 2 lbs too so it fill mine. I'm actually making these to take to our dinner on the grounds after church Sunday..so I'm going to have to do about 3 batches lol And it says it makes 24 but I usually roll them out fairly large so I only get about 16-18 per batch.

They are GOOD though..anytime we have a family thing everyone wants me to make the rolls
Old 11-16-2011, 08:54 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah I'd have to anyway though b/c I don't have enough room in my oven to bake them all at once. They keep overnight really well and warm up almost as good as day 1. I keep any leftover (if there are any lol) in a ziploc baggie at room temp.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:58 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie4b1g View Post
I just go on Allrecipes and look for ones that are highly rated. Haven't had one fail yet!
I haven't ever gone to that site to try out bread maker recipes. Hadn't even thought of it.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummytothree View Post
love my bread machine!!! Mine is quite old (DH got it for me for Christmas almost 10 years ago!!!) so not sure how they are today or what they come with. Snip 8<....

Then this is my favorite "roll" recipe: I use it for hamburger rolls, hot dog rolls and even dinner rolls!!! They are seriously to die for!!!

http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-...-machine-80413

Snip 8<....
Ok these came out of the oven a little bit ago ... my 3 boys have been devouring them ... I thought I would do a "test run" of two of the recipes before Thanksgiving and see which ones they prefer ...

THESE ARE GOOD!!! I think I am going to make them just a bit smaller for dinner rolls ... and a little more time in the oven (just a tad) ... but the boys really like them ... so now I have another recipe rising right now to try ...

Thanks for sharing! We'll definitely make these again.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:24 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well I tried one of the highly rated hawaiian rolls from all recipes ... it used potato flakes in the recipe ... we did NOT like it ... threw it out ... hoping someone will post a sweet hawaiian (think of King's hawaiian rolls) that they have tried and liked ... ????

I have Nikki's rolls rising right now ... jeesh it will be probably 11:30 before I get to bed tonight ... but looking forward to trying them! Boys don't want to go to bed and miss any of these hot rolls. lol
Old 11-23-2011, 08:04 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Kay View Post
Ok these came out of the oven a little bit ago ... my 3 boys have been devouring them ... I thought I would do a "test run" of two of the recipes before Thanksgiving and see which ones they prefer ...

THESE ARE GOOD!!! I think I am going to make them just a bit smaller for dinner rolls ... and a little more time in the oven (just a tad) ... but the boys really like them ... so now I have another recipe rising right now to try ...

Thanks for sharing! We'll definitely make these again.
So glad you liked them Sharon....they are hands down my most favorite roll recipe!! I divide mine into 16 rolls and they fit nicely in a 9x13 pan......4 rows of 4 rolls!!! We pretty much devour them too!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 11-25-2011, 02:06 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

OMG! Thank you SO much for posting this thread! I can't wait to try some of these recipes!!
Old 11-26-2011, 08:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Anyone have any good gluten free bread maker recipes? I'm so excited. I just ordered one yesterday on a Black Friday deal.