Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2017, 10:13 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann
Default Snow Days!

When your kiddos have a snow day or day off, what do you do? Do you plan something fun, just lounge around, still work on school stuff?

Do you love snow days or unexpected days off or do you loathe them?
Old 03-15-2017, 10:14 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

We've had 2 snow days yesterday and today. I have a love/hate relationship with them. I love having her home, but hate it sometimes because she tends to drive me nuts! lol Yesterday I was super sick so it was pretty low key around our house but she still wanted me to be mom. Today has been a little bit smoother I think. We are going to work on some crafting, laundry, the usual house stuff since I'm back to normal.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:08 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Where we live right now we don't really have snow days... but we did get more of an "icyoads" day once this year. That was super exciting for my girls since it's so rare! On days like that, I'm thankful I'm a SAHM so I don't have to scramble for child care. We don't have any family around and the few friends I do have work outside the home. Anyways, on those days we have a PJ's all day, movies, crafts sort of day. We take full advantage of our free day and do stuff we wouldn't otherwise have time for.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:21 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

What's that? lol Living in Arizona we don't get to experience those type of days. If I were to ever move somewhere that would have it, I think I would just have a cozy lounge around in PJ type of day.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Old 03-15-2017, 11:31 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Ummm...I'm in California...we don't get snow days. Not even foggy days. And...I work so no fun for them. Hahaha!

Old 03-15-2017, 12:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

If we have a snow day-we don't get them often, we take full advantage. We build snowmen, have snow ball fights, and try to sled if we can. Since it's pretty flat here, we drag out our four wheelers and tie the sleds to that in order to sled. It's lots of fun! I enjoy snow days since my work is pretty flexible. If the schools are closed, we usually close too.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well my "kid" is 16 now so I still work and she lays around bored LOL.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

What is this "snow day" stuff you speak of?
Old 03-15-2017, 02:53 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

There are years we get as many as 10 snow days, though we've only had 1 this year. I've always loved snow days, and I love them even more now that I'm working in a school that closes! We usually stay home all day and be lazy. When the kids were younger we played outside in the snow. Now my 8 year old goes out by herself and the boys are over it. Yesterday we did lots of school stuff since 2 of the kids have science fair projects due, but most snow days we read, play, sleep late, and maybe do a cooking project.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2017, 03:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I remember when I was a kid my parents would take us out of school for the day and we'd take a day trip somewhere. Usually to the Six Flags that is a couple hours from us. I always loved those times that we'd spend together having fun feeling like rebels because we skipped school. It's so hard to do that nowadays. School is so much harder for my kids and it seems like one day away puts them so far behind. Makes me sad that I can't do that without dreading what they have to do to make up what they missed. :/

Old 03-15-2017, 10:13 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We've only had two snow days so far this year (and one was just a too cold day), which is unusual, but we mostly just hang out. If there's enough snow to cancel school, I don't want to be driving around in it!

My kids are still little & love snow so as long as it's not too awfully cold or windy, we go outside for a little while to play in it. My son could shovel all day if we let him.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We never get full snow days. We did have a delayed start one day & it was heaven! Lola's kindergarten was cancelled so I kept Rian home too...so we had our own snow day. The girls played outside almost all day and Brian surprised us by coming home early and playing outside too. I never do much when there's a lot of snow around because I hate driving in it. Snow days are never called and some district employees said it's because it's too difficult for everyone to change their schedules...pretty much that school was a great babysitter for working parents. But if buses are cancelled because it's too risky then school should probably be cancelled too...
Old 03-16-2017, 05:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by britaneejean View Post
We never get full snow days. We did have a delayed start one day & it was heaven! Lola's kindergarten was cancelled so I kept Rian home too...so we had our own snow day. The girls played outside almost all day and Brian surprised us by coming home early and playing outside too. I never do much when there's a lot of snow around because I hate driving in it. Snow days are never called and some district employees said it's because it's too difficult for everyone to change their schedules...pretty much that school was a great babysitter for working parents. But if buses are cancelled because it's too risky then school should probably be cancelled too...
So they cancel buses but not school???? That's so weird - LOL. We do delays and cancellations but it takes more than a few inches to cancel up here. We're used to driving in snow (even my teen drives in it just fine). The schools here don't consider themselves babysitters so they don't care if it's an inconvenience to parents either; we have to deal with it one way or another
Old 03-16-2017, 09:58 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariewilcox View Post
So they cancel buses but not school???? That's so weird - LOL. We do delays and cancellations but it takes more than a few inches to cancel up here. We're used to driving in snow (even my teen drives in it just fine). The schools here don't consider themselves babysitters so they don't care if it's an inconvenience to parents either; we have to deal with it one way or another

Yep! It's maddening. We got so much snow this winter and only one delayed start. It took 2' of snow to fall in 24 hours for them to call the delayed start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2017, 06:16 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Tronesia

Snow days are few here. We had a day off because of the ice and we just lounged around. Too cold and slippery to go outside.

Old 03-17-2017, 03:25 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

In North Dakota, we go to school anyway. At least in the city schools that don't much have to worry about rural roads. Snow days are very rare which is lucky for me cause I have to work regardless and the rare times they happen are super stressful for me.