Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default SLR camera / flash question

Our Rebel XTi is about 4 yrs old with over 10,000 clicks. The last few months its been randomly taking forever to recharge the flash (don't cringe that I use a flash all the time LOL), then last week it started with not wanting to pop up, and Monday night it would delay upwards of 5 seconds to let me take another picture, meaning I missed a bunch of pictures from my daughters Girl Scout ceremony. Do any of you know if this is fixable, and if it would be worth it? I don't REALLY want to put out the money for a new one, though the one with video sounds SUPER cool. Which leads me to wonder if I did have to get a new one go with the newest Rebel model or another XTi and separate video camera?

Old 11-12-2010, 03:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Have you tried changing the internal battery? It's like the size of a watch battery, in the battery compartment on one of the edges, when mine (Rebel- 300D) stopped popping up I had to change it, that didn't work & then I had to send it for repairs. But it came back, lovely, for about $200, I think was the damage!

& then I upgraded to a 40D & just kept that for backup. I rarely use flash/popup or otherwise now.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had no idea there might be an internal battery for the popup flash. I looked on my XTi in the battery compartment and don't see a place to replace a small battery like that but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. But I almost never use the popup flash on my XTi (had it for 3.5yrs) so I doubt mine would ever need replaced if there was one. If I do need to use flash I prefer to use my external flash.

So you could either send it in to Canon for repairs, get an external flash unit or upgrade to a newer body. The only way you'll be able to find another XTi though is by buying a used one, I think the current Rebel models that are available are the XS, T1i or T2i.

I'll be upgrading in February or March but will probably keep mine for backup or let my girls use it since they are both getting into photography like Mom!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I know this is old but I am having the delay issue on my flash. I don't know how to remedy it, my camera is just about 1 year old and I don't use flash for everything.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My camera was acting a little funky awhile back too. I went into the program area and reset the camera user settings and that helped a lot. Changing out the internal battery can help too. Also, check if your flash somehow got switched to 2nd curtain firing? It could make your flash fire late. It would be under flash control>built in flash function>shutter sync on a canon. Good luck!
Old 02-01-2011, 01:56 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Dreamer View Post
My camera was acting a little funky awhile back too. I went into the program area and reset the camera user settings and that helped a lot. Changing out the internal battery can help too. Also, check if your flash somehow got switched to 2nd curtain firing? It could make your flash fire late. It would be under flash control>built in flash function>shutter sync on a canon. Good luck!
Thanks I will try that when I get home.

I was also reading that it could be your battery even though the battery shows full bars. I am going to charge up a never used spare battery and see if that helps as well.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

you can get a relatively inexpensive external flash...I helped a friend get one at best buy for about $160. The best news is, your pictures will look INCREDIBLE with an external flash, as you can angle it up so that the bright burst of light is diffused. The shadows aren't as significant and pictures look AWESOME as a result!

I totally recommend an external flash if your on-camera flash issues continue!

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8rbeckie View Post
you can get a relatively inexpensive external flash...I helped a friend get one at best buy for about $160. The best news is, your pictures will look INCREDIBLE with an external flash, as you can angle it up so that the bright burst of light is diffused. The shadows aren't as significant and pictures look AWESOME as a result!

I totally recommend an external flash if your on-camera flash issues continue!
oh man i have been looking at them for weeks just can't decide which one!