Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2023, 05:31 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default So JillW asked about favorite types of kits

It got me thinking about the photos I least like to scrap and find almost intimidating to scrap...birthdays, holidays, weddings, basically anything with more meaning and has a ton of photos. I think the number of photos dedicated to just one event may be my why. In some way it intimidates me. I love a certain type of scrapbook page which doesn't lend itself to things like two-page spreads. Plus I WANT TO USE ALL THE KITS. LOL.

What type of photo is your least favorite? Is there a why behind that answer?
Old 09-01-2023, 07:24 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh, great question Tracey!! I guess I'd have to say "baby photos" are my least favorite to scrap. Most of the baby photos I have scrapped over the years were taken while the babe was fast asleep ... and while that is super cute, I think it's a little boring. (Of course, if I had "professional" Anne Geddes types of photos to scrap, that would be a different story - lol)
Old 09-01-2023, 11:27 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillW View Post
Oh, great question Tracey!! I guess I'd have to say "baby photos" are my least favorite to scrap. Most of the baby photos I have scrapped over the years were taken while the babe was fast asleep ... and while that is super cute, I think it's a little boring. (Of course, if I had "professional" Anne Geddes types of photos to scrap, that would be a different story - lol)
I wish I had understand the possibilities in baby photos when my daughter was a little thing - I was just a little behind on that. My current baby scrapbook of my daughter is paper scrapping and really a lot of it is story telling with the photos. And oh the photos that I cut out - Ack. One day I actually want to redo the whole thing but I hate the time it takes to can photos or negatives.
Old 09-02-2023, 12:12 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I buy a lot of Christmas kits… and barely scrap Christmas lol. I’m also finding my Disney pics hard to scrap - there are SO many Disney kits but I get overwhelmed and don’t know where to start

Old 09-02-2023, 08:28 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Ummm... scenery/no people photos. I don't see any point of scrapping them.
Old 09-02-2023, 09:50 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyM View Post
I wish I had understand the possibilities in baby photos when my daughter was a little thing - I was just a little behind on that. My current baby scrapbook of my daughter is paper scrapping and really a lot of it is story telling with the photos. And oh the photos that I cut out - Ack. One day I actually want to redo the whole thing but I hate the time it takes to can photos or negatives.
Isn't it funny to look back and see our "evolution" in scrapping?! I made a few scrapbooks of our son (now 38 years old!) when he was a baby and cut (and ruined!) so many pictures! It's sad ... and the book I made looked a little sad all the way around - lol.
Old 09-02-2023, 09:51 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjscraps View Post
I buy a lot of Christmas kits? and barely scrap Christmas lol. I?m also finding my Disney pics hard to scrap - there are SO many Disney kits but I get overwhelmed and don?t know where to start
Now that I think about it, I have tons of Disney photos and have only scrapped a few of them. I wonder if deep down I struggle ... ha ha.
Old 09-02-2023, 09:53 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I used to be good at scrapping big projects... Now I seem to start them, but never get any further than a few pages.. like vacations, trips, disney... I have sooooo many photos and soooooo many kits... Its over whelming and I think my ADHD kicks in and I get somewhat bored and can't focus.
I actually just made quick photo books with a couple trips... no scrapping, no journaling...just dropped the pics in and printed.
I also have tons of Christmas and birthday kits, but hardly scrap those photos....

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 09-02-2023, 10:35 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Birthdays and Christmas! There are usually lots of photos and none of them are great. And those pages seem to take me FOREVER to make and I'm already a slow scrapper!
Old 09-02-2023, 10:41 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm really bad at scrapbooking holidays and birthdays... also pages about me...
Old 09-02-2023, 10:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherH View Post
Birthdays and Christmas! There are usually lots of photos and none of them are great. And those pages seem to take me FOREVER to make and I'm already a slow scrapper!
Oh Heather, feel the same here's!
I feel overwhelmed with those pictures and want to scrap it all. So I struggle with this.
Old 09-02-2023, 10:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
I'm really bad at scrapbooking holidays and birthdays... also pages about me...
Oh page about me are also a great struggle...
Old 09-02-2023, 11:09 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have a hard time scrapping photos where there are bad feelings... my daughter's wedding is an example (long story, I won't even go into it!).
Old 09-02-2023, 03:01 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
I have a hard time scrapping photos where there are bad feelings... my daughter's wedding is an example (long story, I won't even go into it!).
same. Or people I used to be close to, and now I'm not, or there are issues between us, or something. Makes me want to get all my current scrapping done ASAP before anything else changes and makes me not want to scrap at all.

I get tired of doing the same old, same old every year. I try to find new things to focus on in my photography and storytelling, but how many ways can a person find to say, "it was so and so's birthday and here is the cake and here are the gifts and yay"?

Old 09-03-2023, 08:49 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

For me, the hardest are the once-in-a-lifetime photos. I want to scrap them perfectly, and then I also think, "Even though this kit seems great, what if something 'better' comes out?" Christmas is also hard because there are so many. I need to get real and focus on the best ones. Then it won't be overwhelming. I, too, have issues with the bad feelings photos. One of my niece's got married in early 2021, and I couldn't go to the wedding due to Covid. I had scrapped one photo of her and her husband. A year later, their marriage fell apart, and they are now divorced. There are some nice family photos, but the ex is in them. Ugh.
Old 09-03-2023, 12:03 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyanne View Post
same. Or people I used to be close to, and now I'm not, or there are issues between us, or something. Makes me want to get all my current scrapping done ASAP before anything else changes and makes me not want to scrap at all.
Exactly! I'm scanning old negatives and noticed there are photos of people I haven't spoken to in decades. At the time, it was important. Now, not so much!
Old 09-03-2023, 01:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would say holidays (too many photos, and too hard to do just a 1 or 2 page layout with the photos.), Mainly Christmas (Do I scrap Christmas general- red, green colors. Or do I do more theme kits. She got a Doctor Who sweater, so do I do a Doctor Who page for her photos). We unwrap gifts one at a time (so I can see and photograph almost everything), so it tends to be a TON of photos.

Everyday photos. Ones that were randomly taken, maybe just 1 or 2, but no real theme. Having 4 teenage/college aged daughters, they take a lot of their own photos- selfies, photos with friends, random photos. It is hard to scrap these photos at times.
Old 09-03-2023, 02:22 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

Anything with an "ex"...sigh... I have photos that I wished I scrapped before relationships changed. Now it just seems why bother?
Old 09-03-2023, 09:56 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
Let's just say there was one mother's day I have yet to scrap because darling hubby pissed me off so much that day and every time I look at the photos, I remember that fact.
Old 09-03-2023, 09:58 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyanne View Post

I get tired of doing the same old, same old every year. I try to find new things to focus on in my photography and storytelling, but how many ways can a person find to say, "it was so and so's birthday and here is the cake and here are the gifts and yay"?
Maybe we need to get writing ideas for events so we can take some of the pictures based on those. Might be a fun list to put together!
Old 09-03-2023, 10:00 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziej View Post
For me, the hardest are the once-in-a-lifetime photos. I want to scrap them perfectly, and then I also think, "Even though this kit seems great, what if something 'better' comes out?" Christmas is also hard because there are so many. I need to get real and focus on the best ones. Then it won't be overwhelming. I, too, have issues with the bad feelings photos. One of my niece's got married in early 2021, and I couldn't go to the wedding due to Covid. I had scrapped one photo of her and her husband. A year later, their marriage fell apart, and they are now divorced. There are some nice family photos, but the ex is in them. Ugh.
I've had friends go through photos cloning out ex's!! It is a true issue. I told her that for now on, always take one photo with the people that are not direct immediate family and the same basic photo without them just in case. The possible future ex's don't need to know the why. Or always put those people to the outside of a group photo. Bwahahaha.
Old 09-03-2023, 10:01 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

So it seems we all have a thing about scrapping important events and people who might become ex's. I need to give this some thought from a designer point-of-view.