Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2013, 03:03 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Did you grow up watching..

Soap Operas? LOL

Do you have a guilty pleasure of watching any now?

I grew up watching days of our lives.. I remember starting it in grade 3! My mom would let me watch and I would even talk about it in my school journal.

Then after school right before supper my mom would watch young & the restless so I would sometimes watch that as well..

I haven't really watched in years but was flipping through and days was on and I noticed how everything is still mostly the same. haha
Old 08-16-2013, 03:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

I grew up watching All My Children and General Hospital. I don't watch any of them now though.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:07 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

When I was a kid, I was hooked on one called Santa Barbara. It didnt last long but man Cruz and Eden.. swoon. Not sure if anyone will even remember it. I started watching Days of our Lives when SB went off the air and it was just never the same in Soap Opera land for me after that. Now, I look back and think what a weird kid I was LOL. Soap Operas are awful!
Old 08-16-2013, 03:10 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Carlton View Post
Now, I look back and think what a weird kid I was LOL. Soap Operas are awful!
sooo this. hahaha.

I also wonder why on earth my mom was ok with me watching them. LOL!!
Old 08-16-2013, 03:12 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Hey, we have the internet to distract our children, our mothers had soap operas to distract us :P
Old 08-16-2013, 03:13 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
I also wonder why on earth my mom was ok with me watching them. LOL!!
I question A LOT I watched as a child
Saturday Night Fever was one of my favorite movies.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:14 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

My mom let me watch poltergeist and the legend of boggy creek and other movies that caused me to sleep with a steak knife under my pillow in the event anything tried to abduct me while I was sleeping. True story.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I admitted this in the guilty pleasures thread - but I watch Young and the Restless. It's the soap my mom watched/watches. So I guess you can say she got me hooked.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:20 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

LOL, my mom used to watch One Life to Live when I was growing up but since it was on at 1pm, I didn't get into it until I was in college and got a TiVo. I watched it up until it was cancelled last year. Now it's on Hulu Plus but I watched a few episodes and they've really upped the teen factor and I don't know how I feel about it. My favorite thing was my mom and I would both watch it and then talk about it like, "OMG can you believe that Jessica's alter tied up her twin sister Natalie in the basement?" Soap opera storylines are awesome.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:21 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I watch General Hospital. Missed it today though. Had to sign Adrienne up for school.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I remember Santa Barbara and Cruz and Eden I also remember The Doctors and Ryan's Hope!

Okay, I grew upon Days - my grandmother and my mother both watched it. Then when I was in high school I got into General Hospital. My first year of college I made sure I didn't have any classes at 3 pm I can still remember how packed the TV rooms were in the dorm on the day of Luke and Laura's wedding.

I came across this a few months ago on You Tube and laughed so hard because I remember when this song came out and it was on all the radio stations!

Oh, I don't watch any now, but I used to watch all of ABC - All My Children, One Life to Live, and GH... I haven't seen them in years.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:28 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

R, I totally remember Santa Barbara!

I actually watched All My Children with my mom now and then. Since it was on when I was in school, I only watched on school breaks or if I was home sick. But somehow, I was always able to stay on top of what was going on. LOL

Does anyone remember Luke & Laura's wedding on General Hospital? I just had to google to see when that was, and I'm SHOCKED that I was only 3 when it aired. Cause I TOTALLY remember watching it with my mom in the little house we used to live in. LOL
Old 08-16-2013, 03:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby Pritchett View Post
R, I totally remember Santa Barbara!

Does anyone remember Luke & Laura's wedding on General Hospital? I just had to google to see when that was, and I'm SHOCKED that I was only 3 when it aired. Cause I TOTALLY remember watching it with my mom in the little house we used to live in. LOL
LOL - See above Libby! I was a freshman in college when L&L got married I'm surprised you remember it!
Old 08-16-2013, 03:35 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

HA! We must've posted at the same time, Marie! That's awesome!
Old 08-16-2013, 03:56 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

I remember buying Soap Opera Digest at the grocery store whenever I saw a new one so that I could get all the backstage info and recaps on my favorite soap stars too. The 80s were weird LOL.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:05 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I remember buying Soap Opera Digest at the grocery store whenever I saw a new one so that I could get all the backstage info and recaps on my favorite soap stars too. The 80s were weird LOL.
I had a paper route and I specifically remember saving up that money so I could buy those stupid magazines. I saved them for the longest time.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would watch them when I was home sick. It amazed me that I could catch up on what was happening after not watching for week hahah
Old 08-16-2013, 04:28 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverendingJen View Post
It amazed me that I could catch up on what was happening after not watching for week hahah
LOL, yes. What always cracked me up is both my dad and Adam would never watch the show but they both somehow always knew the characters and storylines.

When I watched, I would often get behind and then do a big marathon, skipping through the boring bits, since let's face it, they kind of dragged out some of the storylines.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:40 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

I remember Santa Barbara, but I never watched it regularly.

I watched Days of Our Lives on and off over several years. My mom was not okay with us watching soap operas, so I had to do it on the sly.

I think it's so funny though how every now and then I catch a glimpse of Days and it's so weird . . . not much changes . . . still wrangling with Stefano. Lol. The thing that really kills me is how they have people in relationships with other people who would have been babies when the first character was 30 years old and in a relationship with the second character's dad (or whatever). The relationships are so convoluted and incestuous. Lol.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltarbox View Post
The thing that really kills me is how they have people in relationships with other people who would have been babies when the first character was 30 years old and in a relationship with the second character's dad (or whatever). The relationships are so convoluted and incestuous. Lol.
Ha, yes, this is very true. They even have a term for it - SORAS - Soap Opera Rapid Aging Syndrome.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:34 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

I watched for one spring/summer - the height of Luke & Laura on General Hospital. That was it.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I watched Days of our Lives during the summers in high school and I bit of Santa Barbara ... and maybe one other that I can't seem to remember, but I haven't watched them for years and years. I haven't been home during the day since high school, so there really hasn't been an opportunity, but generally speaking I don't watch much TV anyway. I remember my grandmother just loving them, but my mother has never watched them.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The only time I really watched was in college for a research project about gender stereotypes in soap operas and prime time dramas.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:14 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I watched Days of our Lives for a few years in like middle school-high school age. Whenever it was that Marlena got possessed. lol I do find it funny how I still recognize a lot of the characters names and such when my step-mom is watching now.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:18 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
When I was a kid, I was hooked on one called Santa Barbara. It didnt last long but man Cruz and Eden.. swoon. Not sure if anyone will even remember it. I started watching Days of our Lives when SB went off the air and it was just never the same in Soap Opera land for me after that. Now, I look back and think what a weird kid I was LOL. Soap Operas are awful!
I remember Santa Barbara! And my mom STILL watches Days of our Lives LOL.. and yes, soap operas are awful I wasn't so much "allowed" to watch them, but if I was home from school or during summer holidays I'd manage to see them now and then.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:29 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yep...All My Children..One Life to Live...and then General Hospital...in that order. I stopped watching them when I started working full time.

We also watched Dallas...was that considered a soap?

Old 08-16-2013, 11:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Nope, not here. My Grandma thought they were awful and I was just never interested (never watched a lot of TV as a child). As an adult I've never felt the desire, even the 11 years that I was a SAHM.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:34 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I watched Guiding Light growing up, and then didn't really watch it again until I was on maternity leave with Ava. I was super sad when it got cancelled because I had watched some of the storylines/families since I was kid.

Libby, I had to look up the "big wedding" of the 2 main love story characters in my show because I remember their first wedding vividly and I was only 7 years old. So funny!
Old 08-16-2013, 11:47 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

I LOVED Days growing up... I watched it from like 10-23 or so. I also watched Passions from beginning to end...I can't be the only one who watched that!
Old 08-17-2013, 12:00 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

LOL I wasn't into Passions, but my sister LOVED it. She recorded it every day to watch after work.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:51 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I have to admit that I am a HUGE Young and the Restless and Bold and the Beautiful fan...it gives me time to not have to think and just escape for 1 1/2 hours..
Old 08-17-2013, 11:38 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

lol! I grew up watching the Young and the Restless with my mom. I swear to God Phyllis hasn't aged a day. (Mind you I think my mom said Sharon put her into a coma not too long ago so who knows, lol) Her and my grandmother would call each other and be all "OMG did you SEE that?!" And we knew if we were sick at school, and it was between 11 and noon, there was no point calling, she either wouldn't answer or would wait until the show was over. She is still this way.

As for not believing what your parents let you watch, I grew up with Rocky Horror Picture Show being my favorite movie and my mom watched Fast Times at Ridgemont High around us all the time. John watched that one for the first time a few months ago and was like "WHY the **** did she let y'all watch this?!? Does she ever draw the connection? Her daughter got pregnant in high school and her son was the class burnout. You think I should point that out to her?"

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 08-17-2013, 11:51 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I remember Mom watching All My Children. I remember all the girls in high school watching General Hospital. I remember when the kids were little some of that stuff was around nap time so I ended up watching the ABC ones All My Children, One Life to Live and General Hospital. Then I noticed there was one day my grandma asked me to go somewhere and I was going to say no because I just couldn't miss the show that day! I never turned them on again, it was like an addiction.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to xboxmom

LOL I watched Y&R with my Mom all the time. She even now tells me about the characters and how recently the woman who played "Mrs. Chancellor" passed away in real life. And how sad my mom was to hear that news. But yeah I don't watch them anymore. My TV either has someone playing Xbox or it's set to Cartoon network or Nick.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:12 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmasmommy View Post
I grew up watching All My Children and General Hospital. I don't watch any of them now though.
yep.....but only my Grandma watched, so I didn't watch it alot....I did however watch one of them after I joined the Navy back in the early 90's but never kept up....
Old 08-17-2013, 01:15 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

anybody remember when Rick Sprinfiled was on General Hospital??? and LUke and Laura's wedding!!!!
Old 08-17-2013, 01:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My mom worked during the day growing up, so we never watched that stuff. My great aunt was totally addicted to Dallas and Dynasty, though. She would watch in her giant beehive hairdo (that she wore for many, many years), with her long cigarette complete with the plastic lady filter thing, all the while drinking a Tab.

I don't know what made her more depressed - when they stopped making Tab (they sell it again now) or when they cancelled Dynasty.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My mom watched OLTL and GH when I was a kid so I watched with her during the summers. In college, I added AMC before it. When I graduated college, I stopped watching because I worked. When I had my first son, I started telecommuting and started watching Y&R and B&B. Then I dropped them a couple of years later and haven't watched anything since.

I think prime-time TV is way worse than soap operas nowadays. At least they were on in the daytime, when kids were supposedly in school for most of the year.