Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2010, 12:12 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm
Default dd needs her tonsils out -- a little scared

I have three daughters and none of them have had to have any kind of surgery until now. My 15 year-old is scheduled to have her tonsils removed a week from Thursday. I am nervous about having her go under general anesthesia and about the surgery itself...but what really scares me even more is if there are any post-op complications (such as bleeding). We live two hours from a hospital (yes, we are out in the sticks...sigh)..

We will stay in a hotel the day/night after surgery there in town (near the hospital) just in case...but then drive home the next day. The ENT doc said that the risk of bleeding/complications is around 5% which I know is very low, but I am a worrywart by nature (!).

If anyone here would care to share your experience with this either of yourself, a family member, a friend, etc. -- I sure would appreciate it. Also, once we leave the hospital and go to the hotel, dd will be sleeping most of the day I imagine, but I won't be able to leave her. Any suggestions on what I can pack to keep in the room for her? I know she won't be eating regular meals (!), but maybe ideas of soft foods/liquids? TIA

SAHM to three girls (17,12,8) and two (very) spoiled mutts!

5 year breast cancer survivor

Words With Friends user ID: kpnv70

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/Scrapper007/
Old 07-27-2010, 12:58 AM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

Both of my boys have had theirs out. Honestly it isn't bad at all! She'll be fine! We left the hospital just hours after the surgery. Before you leave the hospital, they want you to urinate. And with my oldest, he didn't want to so that kept us in the hospital until he stopped being stubborn. Performance anxiety or something. LOL My youngest son's surgery was a breeze, however his stomach didn't like the pain meds at home so we had to get a prescription for phenergen. I HIGHLY recommend asking for a written prescription of phenergen just in case there are issues with her throwing up the pain meds. They are a suppository which of course nobody likes, but they work and the throwing up stops so the meds can work. After 2 days of the heavy duty pain meds, we switched to alternating tylenol and motrin every 2-3 hours. (check with your doctor, LOL) I'd expect she'll want to be lying on her bed or couch for nearly a week, not really sleeping but just too weary to be doing much else.

As for foods, some people say to stay away from dairy after the surgery because it increases phlegm production, but I was just happy to get the boys to eat. I'd recommend mac & cheese, apple sauce, pudding, jello, popsicles, and other soft things. Popsicles/Otter Pops were really pushed by the doctor because it gives extra hydration, no dairy, and is numbing to the throat.

I'd also recommend getting some movies she'd like to watch for that week, and books and such to chase away the boredom of recovery.
Good luck and quick healing to her!
Old 07-27-2010, 09:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

DS2 had his out last summer. It was fast & relatively easy. But let me say, he did not sleep as he recuperated. He was his normal self within 4 hours of surgery, demanding we stop at Target for his 'present' on the way home. We live 90 minutes from the hospital & we went home after the surgery. It took him longer to heal than usual but it manifested itself in him wanting to lay around from time to time & occasionally saying his throat hurt. He ate applesauce, carnation instant breakfast, various fruit smoothies made with & without yogurt, popsicles and soggy milk soaked cereal, for a couple days & then was eating everything in sight.

They gave us an antibiotic he took for a week and 24 hours of pain pills, after that he took Tylenol
Old 07-27-2010, 09:40 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

my son had his out when he was 5...was really easy and recovery went well! Good luck!

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 07-28-2010, 10:23 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My son had a tonsilectomy/adenoidectomy when he was 12. He was out in a few hours (after they had him go potty). Our surgeon told us to not have him eat dairy such as ice cream because it produces more phlegm and that would cause him to cough more. He suggested that we give him popsicles for the first few days. The cool of the popsicles will numb the pain and keep him hydrated. He then said to let him drink gatorade. After a few days, he was able to eat soft foods like applesauce, jello, mashed potatoes, soup.

He had his surgery on a Monday, and by Friday he was feeling much better. His throat pain was mild by that time.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:32 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

my best friends daughter had hers done not long ago and she was back to normal within a day or two at most I think. She had hers done because hers were to large I think and interfered with her talking and breathing and she had had a couple infections in them. I just remember talking to her mom and her mom expecting her to be down for a couple days complaining about it hurting and taking it easy and the same day she got out of the hospital she was up running around playing with very few complaints LOL. So try not to worry. They do tons of them everyday and I honestly do not know anyone who has had any complications from them myself. The dr will give you a list of what you need food wise and drink wise as well.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 08-03-2010, 01:11 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Thanks everyone, I feel much better after reading your replies.

SAHM to three girls (17,12,8) and two (very) spoiled mutts!

5 year breast cancer survivor

Words With Friends user ID: kpnv70

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/Scrapper007/
Old 08-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

She will NOT want ice cream at first!!! It's too cold!!! I stuck to lukewarm soups (my favourite was cream of mushroom- it made me fuller than other foods) and pudding (room temperature).

The painkillers they give will help, but she will have a sore throat. When I got it, I had been having some chronic sore throats anyway, so I didn't feel like it was much worse than my normal strep I had... so she may be feeling okay, but she will be drowsy, especially at first.

Take it slow, tell her not to overwork her voice, etc... it'll make it easier. The doctor will give you excellent discharge information, too!

New Siggy Coming Soon