Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 10-10-2010, 10:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default I'm sure there is a thread already...

but I am trying to build a wishlist for Christmas, my in-laws always ask, and I'd like to get some basic hybrid supplies. We have a printer already, so I don't need that. Could you guys tell me (or if you're feeling really generous, link me up to) some of the basic supplies you love to use for your hybrid projects? I'd like to get into it more, but I don't know where to start! I don't need anything fancy like a cricut or anything like that, just some basic starter supplies!
Thanks so much!!

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 10-10-2010, 11:20 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Well, you need good scissors. I have 4 pair that I use for various things. 2 are bigger "regular" scissors (fiskars brand, one has a chunky handle, the other has a thinner handle) that I use to make large cuts. I have the Tim Holtz/Tonic small scissors with the micro-serated edge - great for cutting thicker items. And I absolutely positively could not live without my small Cutterbee scissors. I use them for cutting out all of my smaller elements and things.
I like to Fiskers fingertip kraft knife for intricate cutting, and I have a glass cutting mat to use it with.
I buy the pre-made sets of cards + envelopes, usually in cream/ivory and white.
Oh, either the crop-o-dile or the big bite would be great. I prefer the big bite now that I have it, since it lets you punch holes farther into the page.
I love and adore my spellbinders dies, but you would need a machine to cut them, so that might not be what you're looking for (I have the Sizzix Big Shot, and naturally a machine juts came out that can cut much larger pieces of paper, lol).
Hmmm, what else. IDK, I'll keep thinking
Old 10-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I would add a paper trimmer to that list (I have a fiskars that does a great job for me). Also adhesives, a roll of tacky tape, a tape runner or some photo splits, a glue stick and some pop dots should get you started. Cardstock is a good investment too. Most of the craft stores have multicolor packs for a few dollars. I also use HP Presentation Paper (Matte) to print almost everything on...Occasionally I'll use photo paper or a good quality white cardstock depending on the project. This plus what Colleen has mentioned is what's in my hybrid toolbag. I second everything that Colleen mentioned..lol. Still want a die cut machine but I have the rest of it.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:34 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

here are a few things I would have handy:

1.Cutterbee Scissors
2. a nice 12x12 paper trimmer
3. some pop dots {for dimension}
4. some type of good adhesive..I like CM's tape runner and I have an ATG gun!
5.. Mod Podge {if you would like to do some things that will be handeled like blocks and such}...but this is not a must yet
6. good white cardstock to print on
7. also good photo paper to print on if you are going to print anything photo like {I used photo paper to doa hybrid canvas}...everything else I print on good cardstock
Old 10-10-2010, 03:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

THANK YOU!!! You ladies are the best ever!

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 10-10-2010, 07:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Really as a gift - Get a ATG gun - they are the BEST!!!! And they are pricy (about 45 dollars) Perfect for a Christmas present - or even a gift cert to Michaels!

My BLOG & Adventures In Wonderland

Old 10-11-2010, 11:02 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have to say that Colleen's list is awesome and so is Angie's!

My must haves -
Paper Trimmer 12 x 12 - get one with a scoring blade!
Crop-a-dile Big Bite
Ribbon, ribbon, ribbon (and other embellishments like buttons, flowers, ric rac)
Edge punches - something basic like scallop or pinking
Tape runner anything double stick with a re-fillable container...plus some refills
Zag glue pen and glitter
Various colors of cardstock (if you don't have a paper scrapbooking stash)
Pop dots or just double stick foam tape you can cut to any size you need (comes in a roll)
Little container of ink in dark brown and/or black for the edges of your project
Ink!
Old 10-12-2010, 12:10 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenSwerb View Post
I love and adore my spellbinders dies, but you would need a machine to cut them, so that might not be what you're looking for (I have the Sizzix Big Shot, and naturally a machine juts came out that can cut much larger pieces of paper, lol).
Hmmm, what else. IDK, I'll keep thinking

Isn't that always the case? I'd keep an eye out at the Sizzix site though. I got my Big Shot last year. They were on sale for $25-35--with shipping, mine came to less than $50 and I want to say the shipping was almost as much as the machine, but I don't live in the US. With all the compatibility, one machine is really all you need and I use mine quite often.

The most useful gift though, would probably just be a gift card so you can get those things that you need, when you need them.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:23 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for this thread. I was just about to come here and post the same thing!

My mom is getting me the Silhouette SD cutting machine for Christmas! YIPPEE! Amazon has it for $199 which is $100 cheaper than most places.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:47 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Oh Sara, you don't know what you're getting yourself into!
I too when I started was saying I didn't need anything fancy, but I did end up buying an electronic cutting machine! You've gotten some great advice already, but be prepared to regular trips to the craft store to build up your supplies along the way.
Would it be possible to get a GC from your inlaws too? That would be really nice.

Amber, how cool! I bought my Silhouette on Amazon for $190 and I know you will love it!

My blog
Old 10-18-2010, 10:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I know you said you don't want a die cut machine ... however I don't care to cut little things out by hand (and I wear bi-focals which help ... but never as clean of cuts as I would like) ... but I read up on the instructions on my Silhouette ... and I can work in CS3 and put the digi papers on the templates and then save the items, including flowers, etc. (i.e. Heather's templates) ... saving as a TIFF ... then bring it into the Silhouette software ... add "registration lines" (so the Silhouette s/w can see it) ... and send it to print. Then I draw lines around the items (it does have an auto function... but you have to tweak it) ... and tell it where to score and where to cut ... and send it to the machine and it does it all for you!!!