Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-08-2019, 01:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default QOTD: food questions

Hi everyone. I'm back with more questions to help us get to know each other a little better. So, my question of the day is twofold....
  1. What was your favorite food as a child that you still eat now and is there one you ate back then but not anymore?
  2. Is there any food that you make homemade rather than buying the store-bought product?
Old 03-08-2019, 01:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

1. I loved cereal as a kid, especially the sugary kind like Fruit Loops or Lucky Charms. Nowadays I don't eat cereal at all.

2. I make a lot of homemade foods....mayo, spaghetti sauce, baked goods like pumpkin loaf, banana loaf, cookies and muffins. I bake and bulk freeze lots of meatballs for easy lunches or dinner. I also make a lot of my own spice blends too.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

What was your favorite food as a child that you still eat now and is there one you ate back then but not anymore?

So many things! Lots of starches & sweets. I eat way more things now than I did back then but I can't think of anything now that I used to eat but don't. #adulting #killinit

Is there any food that you make homemade rather than buying the store-bought product?

Our dinner meals have to be gluten-free so I make everything homemade except condiments/sauces & starches. I ate NO international cuisine as a child so it really helps to make it at home first -- like sweet & sour chicken or chicken tikka masala -- to know what (generally) goes into the dish before I try it at a restaurant.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

1. As a kid, I loved sloppy joes and tater tots. My family hates it. So, we do not eat it.

2. We make most of our meals and baked goods from scratch. Right now, I have homemade whipped cream in the fridge. I prefer to make things fresh rather than buying the store version, but there's not always time to do that.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:50 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

What was your favorite food as a child that you still eat now and is there one you ate back then but not anymore?
Spaghetti...we love spaghetti in our house. I don't know that I have foods that I used to eat that I don't eat anymore. I'm one of seven kids so my mom stuck to things we all liked to eat and things she could make in bulk.

Is there any food that you make homemade rather than buying the store-bought product?
Ranch...homemade ranch is sooooo much better. My husband makes homemade BBQ sauce, spices, broth and jelly.

Old 03-08-2019, 03:04 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

1. What was your favorite food as a child that you still eat now and is there one you ate back then but not anymore?
One of my favorites that we would make was rice cereal- it was left over white rice with a dash of cinnamon, little brown sugar & milk. SO good! My kids think I'm crazy but it totally takes me right back to my childhood! It's obviously not very healthy- so I don't have it often (in fact we rarely have left over rice since I only cook enough for the kids, as I don't eat much of it.)

2. Is there any food that you make homemade rather than buying the store-bought product?

Cupcakes!!! Even my kids are spoiled by homemade buttercream- my daughter just said the cupcakes someone brought to school were "that gross store bought frosting"
Old 03-08-2019, 03:35 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Hmm... I was an easy to please child - I remember going to my great aunt's (who was more of grandmother than my own grandmas ever were) and exclaiming that everything was my favorite, haha! I cook some of these dishes, but with my twist - I'm not one to follow recipes by the letter. One food that I loved as a kid but don't eat much now is pancakes... except kiddo LOVES pancakes - so he goes over to grammy's and she makes them for him, haha.

So many... I love to floor my hubby that I can make items from scratch... like it blew my hubby's mind that I could make nachos at home... hahahaha!!!
Old 03-08-2019, 04:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

1.What was your favorite food as a child that you still eat now and is there one you ate back then but not anymore? popcorn! I love popcorn so do my kids, Skyler eats it on the daily. I also loved sauerkraut but only Doug does too so we rarely have it.
2.Is there any food that you make homemade rather than buying the store-bought product? I make my own spaghetti sauce and salad dressings. I also have a secret recipe for the most amazing cheesecake ever that I made up and won’t ever share, yes it’s that important it stay mine lol
Old 03-08-2019, 05:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I LOVED hotdogs as a kid but rarely eat them as an adult!

I prefer my homemade cream puffs and chicken pot pies to the store bought stuff!
Old 03-08-2019, 09:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

As a kid I loved tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches - don't love tomato soup any more but still love grilled cheese sandwiches. The other thing I really miss especially in summer is being able to buy what was back then a 50c ice cream cone from McDonalds - since becoming lactose free nearly 9 years ago I haven't had one, I've found alternative options but they aren't nearly as good on the bank balance!

As far as homemade - 100% has to be bread stuffing and potato salad.
The stuffing comes from having been brought up with a traditional bread stuffing recipe from North America, the stuff in the rotisserie chickens (I will eat it on occasion with lots of gravy to disguise it but nothing beats homemade) and what New Zealanders call stuffing with bread crumbs and god know what else just doesn't cut it.
With potato salad, the premade junk sold at our grocery store deli departments has cubed carrot(yuck) in it and no chives or spring onions or eggs which is the way my mum and grandmother make theirs. If I can't make my own, I'd rather not have it. Other salads, I'm less picky but potato salad must be homemade otherwise its not worth eating

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 03-08-2019, 10:47 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I loved deviled ham sandwiches when I was a kid... I can’t imagine stomaching that now! Ew! Pink meat spread? No thanks... LOL Another thing I ate was toast with butter and a little cinnamon sugar sprinkled on top. Now, I will treat myself to a slice when I’m feeling sentimental. Yum!

I make quite a few things from scratch instead of buying it store bought. Spice mixes (taco, chili, garam masala), baked goods, sauces, elderberry syrup, etc. I rarely buy frozen meals like I used to before we had kids. I think that’s been the biggest thing.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:51 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Hamburger Helper & Tuna Helper! My parents never had it in the house and it was always a treat to go to my aunt's house where she would let me eat "that kind of thing". I don't eat it anymore, because now I'm the parent who won't let her kids eat "that kind of thing", LOL... (but if I went to my aunt's house without my kids... totally would ask her to make it for me! haha)

Favorite childhood food that I still eat now, spaghetti, preferably made by my mom because it's the best!

Well, we live in Turkmenistan right now, so there are things that I would normally store-buy that I have to home-make and things that I would normally home-make that I can't because of the available ingredients, so we go without.
Right now, I'm home-making yogurt, bread (we can buy bread, but the loaves are super small and go hard very fast), diced tomatoes for spaghetti sauce, chicken broth (although usually I'm too lazy & also grossed out chicken on the bone & just do bouillon granules, don't judge me!) hummus & flour tortillas. I even had to home-make powdered sugar the other day!
Old 03-09-2019, 01:57 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

1. My mom used to make elbow noodles with tomato sauce & cheese and my dad used to make elbow noodles with a can of corn and a can of beans & I put BBQ sauce on it. They are both guilty pleasures now as I don't normally eat that way now. lol
As for not eating, I used to like putting mayo on toast on eating it. I can eat it now with other stuff as a sandwich, but not plain like that. lol
2. Soup. It's so much better tasting when you make it all yourself rather than buying canned soups and it's not hard.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:04 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I was a very picky eater when I was a kid. I can't think of anything I ate then that still eat... maybe popcorn?

I really don't like cooking, but I do make an awesome spaghetti sauce from scratch that I freeze in meal size amounts.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:53 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

What was your favorite food as a child that you still eat now and is there one you ate back then but not anymore? I can't remember a childhood favourite that I don't eat now, but I do remember foods I refused to eat then but love now - like mushrooms and cooked tomatoes. A childhood favourite that is still a favourite is spaghetti bolognaise.

Is there any food that you make homemade rather than buying the store-bought product? I make pretty much everything myself - the only things I buy at the supermarket are fruit, veg, meat, dairy, rice, noodles and the ingredients to make things (flour, oats, honey, sugar, herbs, spices, seeds, nuts, oil, butter, basic sauces like soy, mirin, oyster, worcestershire, etc).