Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2011, 12:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Susan Bartolini
Default Kids that won't eat....I'm at the end of my rope.

Ok...I need help here. My kids are driving me crazy. They won't eat much of anything that I consider to be good for them. Here is a list of foods that they subsist on:

Ben
Hamburger
Chicken Nuggets only from McDonald's
Pizza
Yogurt
Pasta
Scrambled Egg
Waffle
Pancakes
Granola Bar (occasionally)
Bagel (occasionally)

Madeleine
Pasta
Chicken Nuggets only from McDonald's (occasionally)
Waffle
Pancakes
Drinkable Yogurt
Peanut Butter (occasionally)
Granola Bar (occasionally)
Bagel (occasionally)
Banana
Blueberries

That's it. Nary a vegetable. No rice. I feel like such a failure. My husband and I don't even order junk food or take out much. I am so frustrated because today I talked to them about trying a Turkey/Cheese wrap/rollup. They both were enthusiastic about trying it. Of course, I get all the ingredients. Come home, make the roll ups and they both act like I am feeding them worms. I even offered them a treat if they would eat the roll ups. They each took a couple bites and then wouldn't finish...tried to spit out the food, etc. Needless to say they aren't getting their treats but I just want to cry. What in the hell am I doing wrong?

I need tips or suggestions. Books/blogs/advice....anything. We are leaving for Europe in 6 weeks and they are going to have a rude awaking food-wise. I am trying to get them ready and they just aren't budging.

Sorry for the vent.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:52 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

We have this problem with Josiah. He's so controlling about his food that things that he used to eat (bananas, apples (peeled only!!)) he won't eat anymore. For a lot of kids it's a control issue. I eventually stopped catering to him, if he won't eat what I offer him, he doesn't eat. Hugs, I'm right there with ya!
Old 05-16-2011, 12:58 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Rae is horrible, she only eats about 6 different things. It's so frustrating. I have tried bribing her with money even, but no dice...she won't go for it.

I have no suggestions, I have tried everything. She is mildly autistic, so that may be part of it for her, but ugh, it's so frustrating. She's so skinny. She was 9lbs 12 oz when she was born, she will be 7 this year, and she's only 40 pounds.

Just want to let you know, you're not alone. I feel like the ultimate in failure where Rae is concerned on many levels, so I hear ya. ((hugs))
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

so right there with you and Traci (((HUGS))) Isaac ends up going to bed after eating practically nothing... and then he's up crying several times a night because he's so hungry... I just really hope this ends soon and he'll eat his dinner... he used to be my best eater too, he'd even eat medium salsa from a spoon... I never thought I'd have to worry about him.
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've found that if it's anything pasta my kids will eat it. They don't really care what it's mixed with. So I try adding more things to it.

We only use whole wheat pasta. Could you start adding things to the pasta, maybe little cubes of cheese, if that goes over add some cubes of meat (chicken, turkey or hamburger), try adding veggies to the sauce if you add sauce ( you can use the shredder & add carrots/zuchinni/onion/peppers pretty much anything once they cook down they pretty much dissolve, or you could cook it & the puree it smooth in the food processor).

((hugs)) for you all with picky foodies
Old 05-16-2011, 01:03 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Sounds a lot like my Ian. And, we do the same as others have said - if he doesn't eat what is being served at the meal, then he doesn't eat - and he doesn't get between meal snacks if he didn't eat the meal. Luckily, he actually likes corn and broccoli quite a bit - and baby carrots, so I can usually get him to eat a vegetable. It's just the more substantive foods that he is always turning his nose up at. Since he's going to be on antibiotics for a long time, I sure wish I could get him to eat yogurt, but he absolutely refuses. I might start trying yogurt smoothies to see if he'll take it that way.

Ah - the woes of motherhood - good luck to everyone struggling with their kids' eating habits!

Old 05-16-2011, 01:11 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I have food aversions simpy because of how it tastes, looks or feels. Texture is a big issue for me. Some foods I will eat raw when they are cooked the texture is horrible. Anyhow I know it was a lot worse when I was little but I eventually grew out of alot of it. This is what I wont eat now:

peppers
onions
tomatoes (like chunky/slices...Ill eat tomato sauces like in spaghetti)
mushrooms
greens (collard greens, mustard greens)
spinach
broccoli
cauliflour

I will try just about anything else. But I know the only vegie Id eat growing up were peas, carrots, lettuce and corn

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 05-16-2011, 01:15 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traci Reed View Post
For a lot of kids it's a control issue. I eventually stopped catering to him, if he won't eat what I offer him, he doesn't eat. Hugs, I'm right there with ya!
ditto!
All three of mine are going through this, and I tell the older two if they won't eat what I give them then they just won't eat.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 05-16-2011, 01:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to cardinalskate

In my young, naive, not-yet-a-mother days, I thought that picky eater kids were just spoiled. Until I had one of my own. I've broken down crying before because I can't get my child to eat! Right now, we're in an alright stage. I know it's normal for kids to eat the same things every single day (my DD just turned 3). So right now, it's the same breakfast and lunch EVERY SINGLE DAY. I guess I'm alright with that. She has a Blueberry Cereal Bar and a yogurt for breakfast and a peanut butter sandwich for lunch. For dinner, she only eats a couple things: Chicken nuggets, peanut butter (again!!), macaroni and cheese and sugar snap peas (thank God!). That's it. Those are the ONLY things my kid will eat. She's starting getting better by at least TRYING things, but usually she spits it out, but is VERY proud that she tried it.

I feel ya, sister! I'm at my wit's end. Everyone tells me, oh, she'll grow out of it, but I know plenty of older kids and even adults that just don't eat well. It really makes me worry.

I have seen the cookbooks where there are veggie purees hidden in the foods. If there's anything that lends itself to that (pancakes or pizza sauce, maybe), giving that a try might be worth it. And I'm sure you've heard this suggestion many times, but when my DD actually helps me make the meal, she's much more apt to try it. I figure (wishing and hoping) one of these days she'll try something she actually likes.

Last edited by cardinalskate; 05-16-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to purple_colourz

I have the same problem with my eldest, makes me feel like such a failure too. Good thing now she's willing to try a little bit of what we eat now, when I say little I mean a few teeny tiny bites but I'm hoping it's a start to her eating more variety of food...

Old 05-16-2011, 01:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My boys are pretty picky. But I don't have the time or energy to make separate meals, so they eat what we eat - or nothing. I do let them eat a subset of what we are having. So if we are having burritos and they don't like it, they can have a tortilla with cheese.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have no advice but just had to say that after reading all these responses I am going to get down on my knees and thank the spirits that my kids both ate/eat well. I can't even imagine going through that on a daily basis. I don't know if I just lucked out with both of them or if it was just my approach to food when they were babies - which was no baby food and they ate regular food from the time they were 9 months old. I never did understand the concept of "kid food" and "adult food" - food is food!

If I think of any ideas I'll post them here
Old 05-16-2011, 01:53 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariewilcox View Post
I don't know if I just lucked out with both of them or if it was just my approach to food when they were babies - which was no baby food and they ate regular food from the time they were 9 months old. I never did understand the concept of "kid food" and "adult food" - food is food!
I don't think it necessarily has to do with if they got baby food or not. The only time mine ever got baby food was if I added the fruit to their bottles, other than that they got what we ate just mushed up.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh I agree Trish - I pretty much just lucked out The first thing my daughter ever ate after she decided she wanted nothing to do with nursing anymore was a huge garlic dill pickle - she took the halved pieces and sucked all the middle out of that pickle and never batted an eye LOL From that point on she ate whatever we ate - from garlic to onions to kale to quinoa.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:44 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

just wanted to add for me as a child it was NOT a control issue. I had no choice but to try whatever we were fed. The foods I listed I did not like then and still do not like. Whether it is the smell, the texture or the flavor I just do not like it. I always figured if as an adult there are foods I do not like then why would it not be the same for my kids?

Old 05-16-2011, 02:46 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica31876 View Post
just wanted to add for me as a child it was NOT a control issue. I had no choice but to try whatever we were fed. The foods I listed I did not like then and still do not like. Whether it is the smell, the texture or the flavor I just do not like it. I always figured if as an adult there are foods I do not like then why would it not be the same for my kids?
What makes me say it is with mine, is that this is food they've always liked and have ate before with no issues. I'm not sure if that's why the others think that, but that's what leads me to agree with it.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm that way Jessica with eggs and mushrooms - just looking at them gives me the creeps! LOL - definitely a texture thing for both of them and with eggs it's the smell of them cooking too. My daughter loves eggs but also doesn't like mushrooms, and she hates olives but loves lima beans (which I think don't have much taste at all!)
Old 05-16-2011, 02:51 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh - I'm right there with you, too! Kiddo is getting soo picky! If he had his choice the only things he would eat is grilled cheese, pb&j sandwiches, yogurt, dill pickles, more cheese, pancakes, and crackers.... oh and pediasure stuff... since he isn't eatting, I want to make sure he is getting SOMETHING of nutrition in... but man, are those things expensive!

The doctor told me not to worry about it... We as parents control when, what and where they will eat... they control how much they will eat... as long as they are still growing, it's all good.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well, I feel a little better seeing that the problem is fairly wide spread. I just don't know what to do. My approach is probably all wrong and I don't even know it. I wonder if the teachers look a my kids' lunch boxes and think, "what the hell is wrong with this mother sending in pizza EVERY SINGLE DAY". I try to tell them that its either pizza, pasta, or nothing....and I simply can't allow my underweight son to eat nothing all day at school. UGH!
Old 05-16-2011, 02:55 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

It's so frustrating to have picky eaters! Mine are all picky in different ways, but I suppose I am, too. (I'm a vegetarian.) I'm lucky that mine will all eat a balanced diet, but not necessarily as varied a diet as I'd like. Since I'm a vegetarian and usually like to eat a salad for dinner, I often don't eat what the kids do. So I don't refuse to acknowledge their preferences; I just plan carefully to make sure there's something everyone can fill up on at each meal. Unfortunately, it sounds like your biggest problem is getting them to eat a balanced diet, never mind a varied one.

Is there a chance something else is going on? For example, have they had any low tone, speech delays, or sensory issues? If so, that might be related to their food aversions and an occupational or speech therapist who works with eating issues might be able to help them accept new textures. Good luck!
Old 05-16-2011, 03:08 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Oh yea I understand with some kids it is about control I just know it is not always about control. Sometimes you just do not like something.

Another thing I thought of is cabbage. Everybody in my husbands family loves it. His mom makes it ALOT. Yet I can smell it from the road when we go over there and by the time I get in the house I am literally gagging just from the smell. I could not imagine eating something that smells that bad!! So I will not even try it. My husband swears it is delicious though.

oh so anyhow a few suggestions.

let the kids help in making your menu, shopping for the food and preparing hte food. they are more likely to eat something they helped make

tell the kids they do not have to finish everything on their plate but they have to at least try everything. (whether trying means one bite, two bites, three bites...you decide).

Then if you can tell they really truly dislike it try to find something that is nutritionally equivalent.

Make smoothies with small amounts of vegies in them.

Puree vegies and put them in foods they do like like spaghetti, mac/cheese etc.

Lastly give them choices. Like they can have a salad or corn.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah my son is the same way...he will eat one thing one day and swear it's gross the next time we feed it to him. If he doesn't like something he will eat a baked potato (with cheese of course). It's beyond frustrating...
Old 05-16-2011, 03:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yes, my son has all of those issues and was in Early Intervention and is now on an IEP. He even had a feeding therapist a few years ago...so to be honest, I cut him a little slack. He has actually come A LONG WAY. I just feel like they now play off each other. So, if HE won't eat it, SHE won't eat it and vice versa. So for him, it is less a texture issue and more a social issue.

He sees a speech therapist now and his former feeding therapist is in the same practice, so I am going to bounce this off of her....I just thought I would see if I could get some ideas here.

I am going to try what Amanda suggested and take something they already like (pasta) and then tweak it by adding some of these things in.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Bartolini View Post
I wonder if the teachers look a my kids' lunch boxes and think, "what the hell is wrong with this mother sending in pizza EVERY SINGLE DAY". I try to tell them that its either pizza, pasta, or nothing....and I simply can't allow my underweight son to eat nothing all day at school. UGH!
My son eats of all things salami...no crackers or bread...on the days he won't eat what's on the menu at school...He told me last week that he no longer likes salami and I'm thinking what the heck are you going to eat for lunch...I finally told the teacher he doesn't eat anything else...no pb&j or lunchables that other kids eat...
Old 05-16-2011, 03:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My four year old is very picky. He eats the same three meals everyday and has been for at least two years - this consists of cereal, yogurt, fruit flats or dried strawberries/bananas, ritz cheese crackers, peanut butter and pretzels. Thank God he likes milk and V8 Fusion. He eats no meat, fresh fruit, veggies or cheese. He likes all kinds of carbs like crackers, chips, chex mix, etc. Occasionally he will decide he likes something new like a grilled cheese sandwich or a waffle with peanut butter on it. He will eat it a few times and then decide he doesn't like it anymore. He is very stubborn and will skip a meal totally if it involves trying one bite of something new... even something he used to like as a baby, like a banana. I am not willing to tell him he has to eat what we are having or get nothing. I think it would be miserable for all of us! I wonder if texture might be an issue. Almost everything (with the exception of yogurt) that he likes is crunchy, not soft.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Seems like this age is the height of pickyness! My son has a list like that too. I'm just thankful he will eat a raw carrot, a little broccoli & strawberries. The main thing I've discovered is that he doesn't want ANY of it mixed. So he might eat black beans, but no way is he going to eat a burrito.

The big thing I try and remind myself is that if he doesn't eat much at one meal (a bit of grilled cheese and a few grapes) that he will eventually eat. A meal or two later he will eventually eat a ton! So I just relax if he doesn't eat at one meal. Usually there is something else going on: like he's about to be sick, needs to have a BM, nervous about an upcoming event.

I also when I make a 'meal' make sure his meal is a variation on ours. Last night we had tortellini with lemon, asparagus & arugula. Incredible. I gave him plain tortellini with a mariniara sauce to dip it in. So while I'm making it a little different from him, it's not so different I'm making lots of meals.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

Jessica, you sound a lot like me...texture and smell are biggies for me.

Rachel is picky...DH gripes that he has never seen a kid as picky as she is, because his other kids ate anything. She LOVES vegetables (although like me, she wants most of them raw...it's a texture thing for me). She also loves fruit, nuts, seeds, granola. Honestly, she's happy to walk around the house munching on a bell pepper or a head of broccoli.

Meat, however, is another story...she will eat bacon (pork or turkey); sausage patties that basically look like the sausage at McDs; hamburger. Taco meat has to be plain. She will NOT eat chicken or turkey, although on occasion she will eat Chicken and Stars...just no clue that it has chicken. Fish, forget it (ok I hate fish too, but I love shellfish).

She'll eat spaghettios and ravioli but wants her whole grain spaghetti plain (or raw and crunchy BLECH).

She loves yogurt and milk; refuses to eat cheese (inherited from me, my mom, and my grandpa).

I'm guessing I'll basically be packing her a veggie/fruit plate for lunch every day when kindergarten starts in August. It's frustrating that things are limited, but at least what she does like is basically healthy. I don't want to get into a power struggle with her over it, because that could cause a lot more problems in the long run.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I haven't read all the responses yet, so forgive me if this has been mentioned! Jessica Seinfeld has a book called "Deceptively Delicious" and in it she has recipes & shows how to sneak fruits & veggies into everyday foods. She steams the veggies and puree's them super smooth, and then adds that to foods her kids love. I've started doing that, and you really don't taste it at all!

So if they like pancakes, mix some applesauce into it (I did this today, and I couldn't even taste it), or add some pureed yam or sweet potato. It blends in and is completely invisible, but they are still getting the nutrients. You can mix pureed carrots in with tomato sauce for spaghetti, pureed cauliflower in with scrambled eggs (just whisk the puree in with the raw eggs), etc.

Huge fan of:

Old 05-16-2011, 04:06 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Rae gets 2 plain rice cakes, goldfish crackers, and a small package of pretzels every.single.day. I figure the teachers at school must think we're poor or I don't feed her, but that's all she'll take. I am so at a loss, I don't know what to do.

My girls don't like bread. They don't like bagels. It's so incredibly odd. But Amelia will eat more than Rae, and Benjamin eats most anything.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristijoy View Post
Seems like this age is the height of pickyness! My son has a list like that too. I'm just thankful he will eat a raw carrot, a little broccoli & strawberries. The main thing I've discovered is that he doesn't want ANY of it mixed. So he might eat black beans, but no way is he going to eat a burrito.
That's how my 7 year old is. A lot of foods that he'll eat plain he gags over if they're combined. One of his favorite meals is beans, brown rice, shredded cheese, and corn. But each ingredient must be separate on his plate or he'd rather go without.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:29 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

I wish I didn't like bread

My kids are picky somewhat, but not like that Susan.. I wish I had some advice. Mine have a few things they won't eat but it's all stuff I can work around... Abby hates lasagna, broccoli and anything Chinese food. JJ won't eat cheese.. he'll eat any nature of shredded cheese but no sliced cheese or string cheese. He is also not a meat eater.. sometimes chicken nuggets or hot dogs. They both like yogurt and milk though.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:46 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Susan - I'm a big fan of packing nutrition into every single bite they eat. So if they won't eat veg. outright, try it as toy food (making funny faces from slices of veg), pack their homemade pancakes full of nutrition with added puree (pumpkin puree has a ton of vitamins and is rarely noticable unless you put a ton in).

Make smoothies for snacks! Banana, milk or yogurt, a little honey to sweeten, protein powder (get the non-flavored egg white version), maybe some strawberries, and if they love popsicles, freeze them and give them as really healthy, vitamin packed snacks.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:35 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

http://www.leukelunch.nl/home/14
Old 05-16-2011, 05:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica31876 View Post

tell the kids they do not have to finish everything on their plate but they have to at least try everything. (whether trying means one bite, two bites, three bites...you decide).

We have a bite rule in our house. You have to take bites of your food equivalent to your age. It works with my youngest who fights me on eating anything that isn't spaghetti. He has to eat 6 spoonfuls of his veggie before he can eat the fruit or dessert. We started out with 2 bites and increased it once he got use to it and realized I wasn't kidding.

I also started using our planetboxes for their lunches and sometimes for supper. It has helped my oldest learn portion control (he will over eat) and my youngest eats better from it than a plate. Weird.

Our snack rule (yes, I am a mean mom with snack rules) is that you first eat something out of the fridge and then you can get crackers or the not so healthy stuff. Usually the fridge food is yogurt, cheese sticks, applesauce and fruit.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:42 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

My son that is 10 is probably the pickest eater in the house but he is getting better, His whole thing was he had to smell everything first so for a long time he would really only eat nuggets, PB&J, corn dogs, hot dogs, french fries and a bunch of junk snack stuff...luckily ALL of my kids absolutely LOVE fruit so I lucked out there. We have the rule that if you don't eat dinner, you don't get anything else...now he loves a nacho packed with beans, cheese, sour cream, olives and tomatoes...he also loves Tacos....we do tacos and the kids are aloowed to put anything they want on their taco as long as they have the meat on it....

I also did the pasta thing Amanda suggested and stuffed my meatballs with all kinds of stuff and the kids absolutely LOVED them~ Another thing that goes over really well with EVERYONE is Chicken and Dumplings even for the picky kid lol.....meatloaf is another big hit as long as it has plenty of ketchup for the 2 little ones! They will eat just about anythign if it has ketchup!

I am so glad after reading all these to know I was not alone with Ben...My oldest DD is the best eater ever even from the time she was little....and we told her EVERYTHING meat wise was "HAM"....worked for everything except roast beef
Old 05-16-2011, 07:02 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Hugs Susan, it's not you. Really. I read somewhere that our job as parents is to model good eating habits and provide a variety of healthy foods for our children. Children decide how much to eat. I know it's still hard when our kids won't eat, but somehow defining what I can control (how I eat and what kinds of foods are available to my kids) and what I can't (how much they choose to eat) helped me give up some of my guilt complex.

I've been following the This Lunch Rox blog and while I seldom (ok, never) do up fancy theme lunches like she does, she often links up to some great healthy kid-friends recipes.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've posted about this before, but all 4 of my sons are extremely picky. There isn't a single thing I can make at night that all of them will eat. And believe me, after 19 years of this, we have tried all the suggested ways to fix this. Three of them will eat NO pasta, not even mac & cheese! The oldest will eat plain spaghetti or Ramens (is that even considered pasta?). I was praying that being away from home at college for a year would help, but nope! Because the dining hall had so much to pick from, he could stay within the confines of what he will eat. Ugh. So now he is back home and picky as usual. I HATE dealing with dinner every night and worry about their health all the time.

Anyway, I'm doing these shake things for weight loss right now as meal replacements, but I'm having the boys drink the shakes too because they are healthy and packed with nutrition. They love them and we can make them any flavor. You can see the 1 minute video of what's in the shakes here: Nutrition shakes (just ignore the weight loss title )

Some thing like that doesn't help with learning to eat more foods, but it's just a stresseducer for me because at least I know they are getting something healthy.

Last edited by maryinaz; 05-16-2011 at 07:36 PM. Reason: ETA: In the interest of full-disclusure, I sell the shakes. Just LMK if anyone wants any info on them.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

In my family we are all four picky. The husband is the absolute worst. My son is now 5 and is now trying so much more now that he is in school. He eats a lot more adult food but still hates all veggies. He does some fruits. I let him make his own lunch, pb & j with cheez its, pizza sticks, raisins, apple, juice pouch. Its semi healthy, or that's what I tell myself. Some days when he has no time, its just lunchables. As bad as that sounds when we get home 20 mins before bed, that's life.
My daughter is horrrrible! Hates almost all meat. All veggies, and most fruits. I did too when I was young. If you make meaty spagetti she eats the noodles and leaves as much sauce/meat/veggies in the bowl as possible even if it means not eating. I have rather small kids. Short I guess. And people think they are years younger than they are. I worry about them not eating but they prefer pizza, or chicken nuggets. Even if they are home made. Drives me bonkers. I do one meal now, either they eat it, or make a pb &j. I'm not gonna stress over it. They will eat when they are hungry. Now we all eat a few different meals after about a year of this thought. They are 5 almost 6 and 4 now and life has some what improved. Keep trying is my advice. And if they like to dunk things, cut it up and offer "dunk" my kids will do apples, and asian pears with pb now.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

Smoothies, made with V8 fusion or other fruit/veggie mix juice plus yogurt, fruit and then add spinach.

The trick is to put it in a cup they can't see through with a lid & a straw.

My kids have texture issues. No surprise. *I* have texture issues. Veggies must either be raw or pureed, the only exception is broccoli which is acceptable in stir fry as long as it is still crunchy. That crisp-tender texture cookboos & chefs always talk about is horrid! So is slightly mushy & don't get me started on frozen veggies with cheese sauce *gag*

It took me about 5 years to realize their issues were similar to mine & then longer to work out which way to serve which veggies. For dinner tonight we had steak, raw carrots & broccoli, applesauce (for one kid, the other won't eat pureed apples, he had a whole apple) & flatbread
Old 05-16-2011, 10:30 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My youngest had no appetite for awhile due to medication she was taking. To keep her weight up and to add some vitamins we use Instant Breakfast mixed with whole milk. It comes in a few different flavors and you can add ice in a blender and make it thick like a milk shake if needed. You can even add a banana or strawberries if you kids like those flavors.

She eats peanut butter and grape jelly on white wheat every day (cut into a different shape). At least she is eatting - who cares if it's the same thing every day? It takes lots and lots of time to introduce new foods so whatever she will eat I go with it! Having her grocery shop with me helps.

I would definitely be trying to hide fruit in pancakes. Veggies in spaghetti sauce (grated carrots are sweet and mix in easy). They also make a brand that has several servings of veggies in it to use with pasta. Finely ground chicken might mix into pasta and sauce in a way that would be palatable. Can you put any veggies or meat on the pizza? What about breakfast pizza?

Susan - will your kids try new foods at all? What about taking them to a buffet restaurant where they can try one bite of a food and if they don't like it they can spit it in a napkin? We do that on cruise vacations. Everyone has to try a new food each day - it gets interesting, but my kids have learned to like steak (neither ate red meat until they were over 7), baked potatoes (with butter, sour cream, cheese, and turkey bacon), boiled shrimp, and many other things.

Last edited by julifish; 05-16-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My kids would go hungry and they have on occasion. If they're hungry enough, they'll eat. They won't let themselves starve. Other than that I don't have any suggestions. I'm sorry you're going through this.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:54 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Mary, I can't believe you're still fighting with him at 19. Make yourself a meal, and if the oldest doesn't like it, he knows where the kitchen is and can make himself something else. But that's also how I was raised. I'm not a picky eater, but my sister is/was. My mom hates to cook, so there was zero chance of her making multiple meals every night. We had to take a certain number of bites, and if after that we didn't like it we could go make ourselves something else. We also had to finish a glass of milk, and there were many a night where one of us was sitting at the table LONG after dinner, struggling to finish that glass.

I know there are tons of picky eaters out there (one of my cousins lived on cheerio's for YEARS because it was almost the only thing in the world he would eat), and I know you can only force so much before it manifests into other problems. But 19 years old? Cut the apron strings hon! He's an adult, he's obviously not going to change his ways, and he's also not going to starve himself. Ya gotta let go.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:07 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I really think its just a stage for young kids. They don't like to try new things... like the familiar.

My youngest would survive on carbs only if i let him though he will eat a bag of grapes in one sitting.

Kid's get turned off by texture or they have one bad tomato and all tomatoes are bad into eternity.

I read somewhere that it take something like 8 times of offering a new food to a kid before they will try it! EIGHT! LOL

Just make sure they are getting a chewable vitamin and know they will not die before their tastes change.

Hugs,
Stephanie
Old 05-17-2011, 09:11 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I think my problem is with Rae, I need her to eat something. I don't care that she eats the same things every day, even if it's plain pasta (yuck) and broccoli. She doesn't like any milk products, which is our major concern.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:15 AM

profile gallery send pm

Can you try soy instead of milk Jamie?
Old 05-17-2011, 10:05 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh Col, I'm not fighting with him anymore. I don't cater to him, no way! I was just meaning he is still picky and college didn't change that. In fact, my two oldest know that they have to fend for themselves if they don't like dinner. I always have stuff for sandwiches, frozen pizza, etc. around. But the worrying about their health never ends for me!

And I still hate dealing with dinner.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:14 AM

profile gallery send pm

My misunderstanding then! Sorry about that

I hate dinner too, and it's only DH and I trying to figure out what the heck we want to eat, lol. I can't imagine dealing with super super picky eaters too. Although DH is pretty picky, so I'm sure I'm gonna get stuck with a picky eater, lol.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:24 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

No worries Col. I rambled too much and wasn't clear.

My DH is picky too, so that has not helped with the situation over the years. In some ways he is WORSE than the kids! His mother would cook him special meals (God rest her soul, but darn her!), so he just thought that was the normal way. So it's complicated, but I just found I had to choose my battles. My boys are pretty great in almost every other way...so I deal the best I can. Even though I don't like it.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:41 AM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryinaz View Post
I was just meaning he is still picky and college didn't change that.
College has been bad for Jacob's eating. Jacob isn't too picky but of course he has his favorites. At college he can eat at random times of the day and eat junk all day. Or eat pizza 4 days in a row. Now, when he is home for a weekend, he just picks at his dinner because he isn't use to eating a real meal all at once. He was home last weekend and had an orange and said it was probably the first fruit he's had since September!
Old 05-17-2011, 05:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Billingsley View Post
College has been bad for Jacob's eating. Jacob isn't too picky but of course he has his favorites. At college he can eat at random times of the day and eat junk all day. Or eat pizza 4 days in a row. Now, when he is home for a weekend, he just picks at his dinner because he isn't use to eating a real meal all at once. He was home last weekend and had an orange and said it was probably the first fruit he's had since September!
Yeah, I wasn't too happy that Grant had this massive fruit and salad bar at his disposal and he said he didn't eat any of it. He did keep apples in his room though and said he ate one every day, so that made me happy. I'm pretty sure Grant probably had a burger for lunch and dinner almost every day.