Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2013, 06:46 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Thumbs up Show me your layouts...

Once again, dear ol' me is late writing up my blog assignment. I meant to do this last week... but... oh well!

My post is about scrapping 'freestyle'... basically, how you scrap a page with no boundaries such as a template, sketch or a scraplift. When you just open a blank 12x12 and let it loose... what does kind of page is the result? Please share 1 or 2 of your favorite freestyle pages with me! I need a few more examples for the blog.

Also, if you have a minute, answer these questions for me:

1. Do you like scrapping 'free'?
2. What are the pros of scrapping freestyle?
3. What are the cons?
4. Do your freestyle pages mean more to you than the ones you made using other methods? Or do they end up your least favorites?

THANKS!!!

Last edited by YepBrook; 07-16-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:40 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

1. Do you like scrapping 'free'? Sometimes, I feel like I have to much more inspired in order to scrap freestyle. I use freestyle for my art journaling most of the time.
2. What are the pros of scrapping freestyle? It's fully your own creation.
3. What are the cons? It requires a lot more creativity and sometimes they do not turn out what you pictured in your head.
4. Do your freestyle pages mean more to you than the ones you made using other methods? Or do they end up your least favorites? No, they do not mean more or end up my least favorites. I only do them when I know exactly what I want to do.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:59 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Awesome, thanks Mari! Those are fantastic pages!!!

Old 07-16-2013, 08:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yes I do. I rarely lift or use templates.

No rules or constraints. I really like to go with whatever is moving me in the moment.

3. What are the cons?

I don't think there are any. Speed?

4. Do your freestyle pages mean more to you than the ones you made using other methods? Or do they end up your least favorites?

They are all meaningful if I'm happy with them, regardless of how they came to be.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

1. Do you like scrapping 'free'? - As I have limited time I tend to prefer my template pages
2. What are the pros of scrapping freestyle? - an arty style page
3. What are the cons? - too much choice, I have a tough enough choice deciding what supplies to use
4. Do your freestyle pages mean more to you than the ones you made using other methods? Or do they end up your least favorites? this one was a fav of mine because it was soo different

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 07-16-2013, 10:17 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

- I love it. I find it to be the most therapeutic b/c I really have to focus on the details.
- Unique pages
- Get to be more creative
- No constraints
3. What are the cons?
- Have to be more creative (its a blessing and a curse)
- Time it takes to complete a page
4. Do your freestyle pages mean more to you than the ones you made using other methods? Or do they end up your least fav
- I tend to be a little more proud of myself with my freestyle pages b/c every single detail on the page came from me, its pretty gratifying
Old 07-16-2013, 10:31 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm not including any LOs, since my few freestyle pages tend to be smaller projects rather than 12x12s. Most of them aren't even posted online.

I like it on a limited scale, like for making cards or 4x6 mini albums. Opening up a 12x12 canvas with absolutely no external source of design inspiration intimidates me.

Most of the templates I use have lots and lots of layers. Even when I delete some, my template-inspired pages tend to use more papers and embellishments than my freestyle projects. Sometimes it's nice to scrap simpler pages without being influenced by someone else's vision to keep adding more.

3. What are the cons?
My freestyle pages have a sameness to them that my template pages don't; I need a template or other source of composition inspiration to vary my page design and make it more interesting. I'm also more likely to have to delete everything and start over when I scrap freestyle.

In the end, it's the photo, the memory, and how well the page came together that influence how much it means to me. My freestyle pages can fall anywhere along the spectrum from my best to my worst, and I don't feel like a page is inherently better because I did or didn't use a template on it. (Like Gabby said, there's a little more gratification in knowing a page you love came 100% from you. But I don't think that's quite the same as having it mean more or liking it better than a great page made from a template.)

Last edited by rach3975; 07-16-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:54 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Love these! Thanks so much for your inspiration.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:58 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

yes... I LOVE it!!!

feel free to be creative and they take me less time to create than layouts with a template, sketch or scraplift

3. What are the cons?
I can't think of any, lol

I'd say no to both... all my layouts mean a lot to me... and the freestyle ones are usually my faves
Old 07-16-2013, 11:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Almost all of my pages are freestyle, so you're welcome to choose others than these two:

1. Yes. I like templates, too, but I like creating without boundaries.
2. I like being more creative with paper pieces and element placements.
3. It can take longer than using a template or sketch.
4. I like them the same as my other pages using templates/sketches. I think there is a place for both in my life.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:30 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

1. Do you like scrapping 'free'? Yes! I definitely need to do it more often!

2. What are the pros of scrapping freestyle? For me, it's the "high" I get knowing that the page is all mine. I'm not very creative or crafty other then my scrapbooking so it's an awesome feeling knowing that I do have some creative juices flowing through me.

3. What are the cons? Usually the time it takes me to finish a page. When I scrap with a template it doesn't really take as long. I don't often have hours to put a layout together so scrapping with a template just makes it easier. Creating a page on my own often takes up hours of my time.

4. Do your freestyle pages mean more to you than the ones you made using other methods? Or do they end up your least favorites? Sometimes I feel like it may not turn out as put together as the layouts I make when using a template but in the end it's all about preserving our memories. As long as I've documented a special time in our lives I honestly am happy.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:37 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

1. Do you like scrapping 'free'? Yes, I do. I use templates when I'm stuck in a rut.
2. What are the pros of scrapping freestyle? I can be creative and free about what I want to do with my page. Also, it helps me when I want to try new techniques.
3. What are the cons? Sometimes, it end up ugly and I have to start new. It take longer too.
4. Do your freestyle pages mean more to you than the ones you made using other methods? Or do they end up your least favorites? Well, some of them end up to be my favourites, but the pages mean all the same using or not using templates.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:05 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

1. Do you like scrapping 'free'? yes I like starting with a blank canvas and making it my own!

there are NO RULES

3. What are the cons?
sometimes you just stare and stare at a blank page and get nothing!

4. Do your freestyle pages mean more to you than the ones you made using other methods?
no, they all mean the same no matter what style I am using! I put the same amount of time and energy in a template or scraplift page as I do a freestyle page...I like them to show my personal "style" reagrdless of what was my inspiration to start with

and I started with a template here, but I love this one just as much as I do the one above because I poured my heart into them both equally

and this was a scraplift that I totally made my own and I absolutely LOVE it!!!

Last edited by nun69; 07-17-2013 at 01:08 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:25 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

Well, this is the ONLY one in my gallery here that isn't a template or lift.

I don't dislike it, but I don't feel it's any better than not.

None. A lot of people are saying there are no rules, but even if I'm using a template or I'm lifting, there are no rules. A challenge might have rules, but I care more about making a LO I want than I do about rules. If I start a LO for a challenge and it ends up not meeting the "rules" then I don't submit it for that challenge. It's not like I won't be scrapping again later! Taking inspiration isn't a rule. I still make a page the way I want it to be.

3. What are the cons?
Again, none. I guess the way I see if, even if I'm not staring at a LO with the intention to lift it, I'm drawing inspiration from somewhere. I might not even be able to tell you where I got the idea, but my LO is going to start with an idea. So I guess I don't see freestyle as being all that different. I'm still basically "lifting" from a few different sources in my brain. They might not be LOs, but it's the same process, as far as I'm concerned.

My favourites are the ones that do the best at conveying the message I want to convey. Some are freestyle, and some aren't.

ETA: just made another!

Last edited by lorryfach; 07-17-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:08 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

1. Do you like scrapping 'free'? Yes. I find even when I use a template it ends up completely different than what it was intended to look like....I don't do well with rules.
2. What are the pros of scrapping freestyle? I like letting the kit inspire me as far as elements. I like that the page is "me" when it is done, not just my version of someone elses style.
3. What are the cons? They can take a lot of time!
4. Do your freestyle pages mean more to you than the ones you made using other methods? Or do they end up your least favorites? I don't think they really mean more, but they do usually end up my favorite pages.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:11 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

THANKS!!!

Old 07-17-2013, 12:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Yes, it's actually what I prefer. I find templates really hard for me to use and they can take me 3-4 times longer. Lifts are a little easier, but I have a hard time keeping my page anything like the original. I tend to pick just one or two things about a page to lift.
Um... it keeps you from become wholly dependent on templates?
3. What are the cons?
Sometimes, when you get in a funk, it can be harder to push through it if you aren't liking anything you make and you have troubles using templates to begin with.
Um, neither? lol

a good majority of my pages use no templates or lifts but here are the most recent that I like the most

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 07-17-2013, 12:12 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

1. Do you like scrapping 'free'? - Yes. It's my favorite way to scrap. I find it's the best way to be completely "me" in what I do. I do use templates but, even then, I edit them to reflect what I want my layout to be. I actually avoid doing scraplifts.

2. What are the pros of scrapping freestyle?When I use a template, I usually do a lot of tweaking to it to bring it to the point I want to use (removing journaling blocks, merged photo spaces, change photo orientation, etc.). Scrapping freestyle, I eliminate the time it takes to do that and get right to scrapping.

3. What are the cons? I really don't see any con's to scrapping freestyle.

4. Do your freestyle pages mean more to you than the ones you made using other methods? Or do they end up your least favorites? No. As long as I like the way a page turns, out, that's what's important to me.

Here are some of my free style pages:

Technically, I did use a template for this one but it was a template I made so that the photos on the left side would line up.

Last edited by JuliaM; 07-17-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wait we are suppose to scrap without a template?? I usually make my own templates when I don't have one to use. So I guess that doesn't help much huh? Guess I'm not good at freestyling.
Like this-
Old 07-17-2013, 01:54 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmomma View Post
Wait we are suppose to scrap without a template?? I usually make my own templates when I don't have one to use. So I guess that doesn't help much huh? Guess I'm not good at freestyling.
Like this-
Technically, if you are starting from a blank slate and "building" a layout from your own imagination that's freestyle. So, drawing shapes and arranging them first (aka; a template) is freestyle. What I meant when I said templates was using a pre-made one. Not something you created.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com...=wings&cat=500

https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com...ughter&cat=500

https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com...-is-me&cat=500

https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com...e-girl&cat=500

Writing from a tablet so maybe it's going to be a bit off. I only used urls and not images because of that.

1. I totally enjoy doing it. I almost always do freestyle. It's just easier that way. Template-based layouts take me much longer and it's happened that the final layout had nothing in common with the original template.

2. Bigger creative freedom, in a way.

3. Don't know about any.

4. The method of creating a layout has nothing to do with how much I love the page pr whether it's meaningful for me. I truly only do freestyle because it's more convenient for me, the same way people use templates.

Last edited by adrianka; 07-17-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:42 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Um....no! I'm mainly a template scrapper . And when I do scrap freestyle, I don't open papers and elements and add them to a page, I basically make my own template first, so that I'm still starting from a template, lol!

For me, there are more pros to scrapping with a template, even if it's only one I put together myself. I feel like I have a starting point then, I prefer structure to freestyle. And when I scrap freestyle, I tend to keep adding papers and elements, until there are far too many, lol.

3. What are the cons?
It always takes me longer than scrapping with a template or lift. And I definitely don't feel like I have less creative freedom when using a template. I'll add or remove things from a template as needed.

It depends on the page. Some of my own pages I have ended up loving, and then others are some of my least favourites. But that's also true of pages that started with a lift/sketch/template, so it's hit and miss for me.

Some of my favourite freestyle pages:

Old 07-17-2013, 04:59 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Thanks so much for the feedback, ladies! My blog post is now completed and scheduled to publish. However, I have this thread linked up to the blog so that people can come read your comments and see your pages. Please feel free to keep sharing!