Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2010, 05:23 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm
Default calling all film photographers! i have questions.

i was recently lent/given the camera that 90% of my childhood pictures were taken with. i have to have an SLR for a photography class this coming spring, and my grandparents have given me their very old ricoh camera. it's the camera i grew up seeing them use. it's got the fun lenses and filters and all sorts of fun extras.

however, i have no clue how to use it. and i don't even know where to start when it comes to finding batteries, or choosing film (i went to walgreens earlier this afternoon, and couldn't even find the batteries that it takes). i'd like to teach myself the basics of the camera before i actually start the class.

it's a 35mm camera. i just don't know what kind of film to buy. or what speed or anything. i know that a lot of you use film cameras (as well as digital). so i'm looking for suggestions, and tips on actually taking good photos with it.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:10 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I would recommend try googling that type of camera and find out what kind of batteries and what film they might recommend...then you should be bale to go from there and find out where you can find the batteries {you may have to go to an actual camera store}...I have never heard of that brand, but I would guess it would just take regular 35mm film...I always liked using 400 Kodak fillm when I used my film camera
Old 08-14-2010, 06:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

See if you have a Wolf Camera or Ritz camera or try B&H Camera for the batteries and film. Radio SHack also carries a lot of the weird batteries too.

As for the film, I'm sure your class will need a specific type, but I use several different kinds for mine. I'd see if you can find some film photography books at the library to learn all the settings on your camera as well.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:34 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I usually used 200 film when I used a 35mm. The higher the speed of film, the more grainy the shots will be. High speed film is better for low light situations though. It really varies on what you'll be shooting. That's the great thing about digi, you can change it at will. lol

Old 08-15-2010, 12:16 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

If you have a local camera store they can usually help you with your questions and supplies, do you have anyone close you like to go to?

Old 08-15-2010, 12:44 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Maybe you could contact Ricoh and find out where to buy some batteries for your camera. They have a "contact customer service" section on their website.

Here we go for film speed (ISO)....
If you have a situation with LOTS of super bright light (like a zoo) you want ISO 50 or 100.
Morning light....ISO 200 (pro film is ISO 160)
Afternoon (golden hour)....ISO 400 (pro film is still 400)
Evening....ISO 800 or ISO 1600
a little darker....ISO 3600 (super grainy really fun)

So....the brighter the light the lower the number. The same is for digital cameras too. ISO is the exact same standard for both film and digital.

You'll probably have to shoot in black and white....same ISO applies.

Film speed (ISO) is VERY important. You don't want to put ISO 3600 in your camera and go to the zoo! Your photos won't turn out!! Same with digital. You don't want to SET your camera to ISO 3600 and take photos in lots of light!

www.bhphotovideo.com is a great place to buy film. I still have a freezer full of it and I quit shooting film about 9 years ago! LOL!! My favorite is the Kodak Portra 160 NC. The NC gives you nice skin tones. They also have VC which is more vivid!

You'll definitely want to play with the pro films. Buy a ton in different speeds and keep it in your freezer until you need it. They are soooo much fun. Don't forget, if you spend the money to buy pro film, don't take it to Walgreens and have a teenager develop it and tweek your colors! You'll want to drop it off at a nice lab in your area!!
Also, keep a notebook in your purse. Jot down your settings (ISO, Aperature, Shutter Speed, and the lens you used) for EACH photo that you take. It's a pain in the rear.....but if you get a terrible photo back from the lab, you can go back to your notes and see what went wrong. You'll probably have to do this anyway for class.

One final thing. The older cameras say ASA instead of ISO.

Have lots of fun. Hope I didn't confuse you further......ROFL.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:04 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

One more thing.....
If you can't find a battery for your Ricoh, you can probably pick up an old Nikon F100 for about $100 bucks. Those are soooooo nice!!!! Still have mine.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:48 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

thanks so much everyone. i do appreciate it!

heather and jennifer- i ended up going to the ritz camera store near me. they didn't have the batteries, seeing as the batteries that were IN the camera happened to be silver oxide... which isn't sold anymore. but i found an alternative at a battery store. and they work! and the guy at ritz spent like, 40 minutes showing me how to use the camera. which was awesome. seeing as i don't think i've used anything other than a point and shoot camera. ever.

unfortunately, ricoh doesn't make film cameras anymore. i tried to find more information, and couldn't find any. the manuals for the camera are in the bag, so i'm gonna read through those.

jennifer and angie- i got regular old film. 400, from ritz. i figure, it's good to play with. i am gonna check out kodak film. tracie- i'll try 200 film. thanks for the tip about graniness!

kjersti- i'm going to copy and paste the info about film into a word doc and keep it with the camera. thank you for explaining it all! i laughed when the guy at ritz told me to keep film in the fridge. but then he explained why. so i'll be sure to keep my film in the freezer/fridge. and i'll check out that website, too. see what they have.

thank you all so much. i figured that i would ask the people who know, and who will be honest. i'm excited to see what quality pictures i can come out with.