Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 12-06-2018, 01:17 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Christmas Gifts

What are you getting your people for Christmas this year? I am out of ideas and no one is giving me a clear cut list! Usually my kids a want a ton of stuff but this year they just want the Nintendo Switch (which their grandparents are getting for them). So share what you are getting your kids and hubby. I need ideas this year!

Old 12-06-2018, 01:43 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Lily is getting a massive gift in the form of a cat....... a sphynx. We get the cat on the 28th of December and it isn't a surprise but it is the gift this year

Lucas is getting a game for his switch and stupid money for stupid vbucks for stupid fortnite (brook.. keep your kids away it's an addiction that game lol)

They will also get a few things like books etc. I'm annoyed that the newest dogman book comes out on christmas eve because I'd like to have that for Lucas for Christmas but we can't get the book anywhere here and even ordering it it will come after Christmas. I think that was just such a dumb move on the publishers part.

Darcy and I have decided not to exchange gifts this year
Old 12-06-2018, 01:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My husband got pajama pants and a log splitter.

My nine year old - laptop, phone, with case, xbox live year card, 50.00 xbox card, 15 google play card, and a crossword search. He knows he’s monitored and if anything inappropriate is found he will no longer have either of his big gifts. He’s the most expensive.

Five year old - three different trucks with haulers that hold cars or four wheelers, kinetic sand, dinosaur pillow pet, a keyboard, and dr play set. I know there's more but, I can't remember what. He never says he wants anything but a yo-yo.

One year old - shopping cart, broom play set, carry play doll house, ball pit with basketball, and I can't remember what else. Easiest to buy for. ��

Last edited by ~Cindy~; 12-06-2018 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:49 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My 4yo asked Santa for a 'big excavator.' I'm not sure what that will be yet! My 9yo couldn't decide what to ask for.

I am getting them both Snuggie Tails (which the 4yo has asked for) and MagnaTiles.

They have fun home things at Modcloth (which I order clothes from all the time) so I think I'm going to get the 4yo some dinosaur string lights and the 9yo some comparable unicorn thing.

Art supplies & books are always solid hits at our house. I will look for a couple of secondhand XBox games for the big and maybe an easy preschool one for the little.

The 9yo doesn't really play with toys anymore and doesn't really care about things/gifts, either. I'm thinking about getting her a gift certificate to the movies, the pottery painting place, etc. for a mommy-daughter date since she & I don't get to do that often.

I don't exchange gifts with my husband. He is terrible at gift-giving so I 'let him off the hook' a long time ago. I will find some little things for his stocking but that's all.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:57 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

We just have celebrated Saint Nicolais yesterday. This is where i buy each 5 things from their wishlists, and 1 book. Always 1 book. As for christmas i buy them each a pyjama, socks and a book and most of the time these are the only things they get with Christmas.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hubby and I don't exchange. Older daughter is getting clothes and some game for her Switch that comes out tomorrow I think. Younger daughter is impossible to buy for now that she's outgrown toys and plush stuff. All she wants this year is books for Christmas and her birthday which is New Year's Eve. I did get them both some jewelry which is something they never ask for but are always hunting for on that special occasion.

I'm also at a loss as to what to buy any more and kinda just over the whole Christmas shopping thing. Sorry I've been of no help to you. I'm just grinching this year. Good luck!
Old 12-06-2018, 02:13 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I am grinching, too, Lynn! This year, shopping just feels like a chore and no one is really excited to get anything in particular. I love a full Christmas tree with tons of gifts to open. I am one of those people who says they'll do "something you want, something you need, something to wear, something to read" and then I buy like 4 things in each category. Haha

Maybe I will find my groove soon. Usually by now I have most of my shopping done. Ugh!

Old 12-06-2018, 02:16 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I'm a grinch this year too. It does not feel like Christmas at ALL and I'm not sure how to make it feel like it Darcy works Christmas day so that stinks too. *shrug* One year I think I'd really like trying a vacation instead of doing a traditonal Christmas with gifts..
Old 12-06-2018, 02:41 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I am always a bit of a Grinch, to be honest. I have yet to put up my little 2 foot tree, but I did finish all my shopping.

Since my son is grown, I usually just get him a few small presents. I do my the same for my DIL and then give them a joint gift of money as well. I figure a young couple just starting out can usually use a few extra bucks more than they can new sweaters. LOL

The thing I enjoy most about the holidays is adopting a family for Christmas. I got to buy for a 4 year old girl and her grandmother, so I got her 4 outfits, a coat and hat, boots, 2 pajama sets, Shine and Shimmer dolls, some Barbie stuff and something called LOL Surprise. For the grandma, who, bless her, only asked for a pair of sweatpants and sweatshirt, I got her 3 sweat suits and some bath and body stuff.

I do all my shopping on Black Friday and Cyber Monday to get the good deals so that I can get them more. My son and his wife are buying for the baby in the family and my sister is taking care of the mom and the household basket that is a requirement.

Next Saturday, we will all meet at my sister's house and wrap the presents together and have dinner afterward. I think we actually enjoy this day more than Christmas itself because helping others is so much more rewarding and reflective of the true meaning of the season, than buying meaningless gifts for people who have everything they need.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Keira wanted clothes, some Mangas, other weird stuff, ��
She got a DS game, board game new purse and I think that’s really it. Mostly clothes.

Coop is getting a couple Wii U games, because I won’t give into the switch yet, next year probably and legos are really all he asked for.

Harper is getting a kid safe kindle and some toys.

They’re all getting books too.

Hubby is getting a table saw, new Michigan hoodie, another tool thing he wanted and some stocking stuffers.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:47 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Between 2 trips in November and Hanukkah being so early this year, I wasn't as prepared as I usually am, either. All 3 of my kids are getting harder to buy for. They're past toys, but none of them are into clothes. They all love to read, but they go through books so quickly that we tend to use the library and not buy many books.

This year was heavy on the gift cards because there's not much they want right now, but I'm sure there will be things they want throughout the year. Lauren and Ben really wanted new tablets, and they didn't ask for much more. Jason got his first phone and laptop over the summer because he started high school this fall, so he knew he wasn't getting any big gifts now.

Lauren (almost 10)-Kindle Fire, IOU to pick out a case, Amazon gift card, necklace she wanted for a pearl she got at Disney

Ben (12)-Kindle Fire, IOU to pick out a case, Amazon gift card, tickets for the whole family to go see a magic show (Ben is obsessed with magic and card tricks)

Jason (15)-Small Dungeons and Dragons starter set (his 1 request), Steam gift card for computer games, Google Play gift card

All 3-Barnes and Noble gift cards, big chocolate bars.

My plan for the Barnes & Noble gift cards is to make it a family activity over winter break. We'll go to lunch, browse the book store, and maybe get hot chocolate at the Starbucks inside B&N.

DH and I don't exchange gifts. Most years we decide to put some money toward a joint priority, like new furniture or a vacation we're saving for. Lauren and Dan both have late Dec/early Jan birthdays, so now I have to come up with ideas for those gifts.

Last edited by rach3975; 12-06-2018 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
I'm a grinch this year too. It does not feel like Christmas at ALL and I'm not sure how to make it feel like it Darcy works Christmas day so that stinks too. *shrug* One year I think I'd really like trying a vacation instead of doing a traditonal Christmas with gifts..
We went to Disney for Christmas in 2014. Despite the crowds, I loved spending Christmas somewhere warm and different. We just celebrated with gift opening two days later at home. You could tell some people in our hotel took all their gifts with them by the bags of discarded gift wrapping in the hallways on Christmas morning. A lot of my kids' gifts were souvenirs that they picked out at the parks. I was a lazy shopper that year!
Old 12-06-2018, 04:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
I am always a bit of a Grinch, to be honest. I have yet to put up my little 2 foot tree, but I did finish all my shopping.

Since my son is grown, I usually just get him a few small presents. I do my the same for my DIL and then give them a joint gift of money as well. I figure a young couple just starting out can usually use a few extra bucks more than they can new sweaters. LOL

The thing I enjoy most about the holidays is adopting a family for Christmas. I got to buy for a 4 year old girl and her grandmother, so I got her 4 outfits, a coat and hat, boots, 2 pajama sets, Shine and Shimmer dolls, some Barbie stuff and something called LOL Surprise. For the grandma, who, bless her, only asked for a pair of sweatpants and sweatshirt, I got her 3 sweat suits and some bath and body stuff.

I do all my shopping on Black Friday and Cyber Monday to get the good deals so that I can get them more. My son and his wife are buying for the baby in the family and my sister is taking care of the mom and the household basket that is a requirement.

Next Saturday, we will all meet at my sister's house and wrap the presents together and have dinner afterward. I think we actually enjoy this day more than Christmas itself because helping others is so much more rewarding and reflective of the true meaning of the season, than buying meaningless gifts for people who have everything they need.
This sounds AMAZING! I'm going to look into this in my area. It might just wipe the grinch right out of me.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
IThe thing I enjoy most about the holidays is adopting a family for Christmas. I got to buy for a 4 year old girl and her grandmother, so I got her 4 outfits, a coat and hat, boots, 2 pajama sets, Shine and Shimmer dolls, some Barbie stuff and something called LOL Surprise. For the grandma, who, bless her, only asked for a pair of sweatpants and sweatshirt, I got her 3 sweat suits and some bath and body stuff.

That's an amazing tradition! I love that your family does it together! We do something similar on smaller scale through the preschool I teach at. We pair with a program that provides services for very recent immigrants. Members of our school community "adopt" one or more of the kids and get them a coat and/or shoes, toys, and a book. I wish we could adopt the whole family, but I'm hoping that there is a separate partnership that provides for the adults.

Last edited by rach3975; 12-06-2018 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:01 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I haven't gotten anything yet for my boys. I know DH just wants a couple of nights of 'me time' in a decent not pricey hotel booked for him so he can rest, Michael wants a nice Christmas-y sort of clothes and a snow globe (which we already gotten him). And I even know I am getting a dyson vacuum cleaner from DH this year haha...
I am feeling rather low this year... as Lan will be at work and Michael will be at school. So this Christmas does not feel like Christmas at all. They'll only get a day off on January 1st, which sucks big time
Old 12-06-2018, 10:24 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Jake wants this Q-Ba-Maze ultimate 270 piece thing that is $200! Goodness! He has a small set that he doesn't even play with... I've vetoed that. He doesn't want anything else.. he says he likes legos, but he doesn't really do anything with that either... so really struggling there. I have things that i think he would like... games, books, etc... but it's not what he is asking for.

My hubby is even worse... he is always a person that when he needs/wants something he goes and gets it all year round... so now the things left are expensive. *sigh*

Not feeling Christmas this year either.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Neither one of us is really feeling the Christmas Spirit right now

Rian is getting morfboard accessories, AG doll clothes, book, giftcard to shop, stocking stuffers

Lola is getting an AG doll, AG doll clothes, book, a shirt or 2, stocking stuffers

Ollie is getting a plasma/wiggle car, paw patrol dressups, nerf nitro car gun, shirts, cars, stocking stuffers

I have no idea for Brian. he really wants a ps4 but those are so expensive. I got a lens last month so that was my christmas.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:15 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
What are you getting your people for Christmas this year? I am out of ideas and no one is giving me a clear cut list! Usually my kids a want a ton of stuff but this year they just want the Nintendo Switch (which their grandparents are getting for them). So share what you are getting your kids and hubby. I need ideas this year!
Maybe gift them a game that goes with the Switch. Mario Party is always fun.
I kind of want a Nintendo Switch myself but once I do I will go back to my regular self and play video games all the time. I don't want my kids to grow up seeing their mother as addicted to technology...

We are getting bunk beds for our 4 year old (given by another family) and doll accessories for our 2 year old. Santa is also going to bring a book or two.
For my husband, a polo shirt by Lacoste and Clue (board game).
Old 12-07-2018, 04:31 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have always thought that Christmas should be every other year. Sounds like this is the off year, for many of you as well as for me!

Old 12-07-2018, 05:03 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Neither of my boys (17 & 19) has given me a list or gift ideas. My younger son needs computer components, so we may get him some of those. My older son says he's moving out soon, so he may get a set of dishes! LOL!!
I really NEED to get gifts ordered from Amazon for my daughter, son-in-law and grandsons because we aren't traveling down to CA this year.
I've had a hard time being in the Christmas mood this year, too. I'm STILL trying to get decorations up!!
Old 12-07-2018, 05:05 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
My youngest just got the new Super Mario Smash game for the Switch (he pre-ordered it). He played for quite a while yesterday and really liked it.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
My youngest just got the new Super Mario Smash game for the Switch (he pre-ordered it). He played for quite a while yesterday and really liked it.
I pre-ordered it from GameStop, but they never sent a pick up acknowledgement. I'm glad to hear it's fun.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:01 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnZant View Post
I pre-ordered it from GameStop, but they never sent a pick up acknowledgement. I'm glad to hear it's fun.
Oh no! I hope you're able to get it!
Connor said it's the best Smash Brothers since Brawl
Old 12-08-2018, 12:23 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Ohh Lily is also getting... a kalimba. (it's called a thumb piano? It was pretty cheap) This child has asked for some sort of musical instrument for I don't even know how many Christmases but I do know the first request was age 4 with a ukulele lol.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:39 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

For the first time in forever this has been the easiest year to come up with gift ideas for my boys, and I had all my shopping done a couple of weeks ago because there is no way I am going anywhere near the shops in December! Too busy, too crowded, nightmare trying to find a parking spot... and I'm becoming much more of a fan of online shopping now!

I got them all practical stuff which is probably why it was easy - no toys (they're 12 and 10) - so they mightn't be that excited but too bad. Except for the laptop my oldest is getting - he starts high school next year and needs it for that. He's also getting a 15 min ride in real race car as part of the activities he'll be doing when he goes to the Australian Scout Jamboree in January. Both boys are also getting lightweight/hiking sleeping bags, day packs and umbrellas (I did say practical!)... some books, pens and some edible treats.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:29 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Ohh Lily is also getting... a kalimba. (it's called a thumb piano? It was pretty cheap) This child has asked for some sort of musical instrument for I don't even know how many Christmases but I do know the first request was age 4 with a ukulele lol.
Oh, those look awesome! Love it. That's something that Aaron would love to tinker with because he actually can play music. I know it has to be harder than it looks!

Old 12-08-2018, 03:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My kids want walkie talkies this year, so we'll be getting those for them. I also just signed them up for subscription boxes through www.kiwico.com which I think they'll really like and I've been considering for a while. (If you happen to sign up through that link it'll give us both $10 off. ) I also got them Hand-Sensor Ball Helicopters which should be a hit too. I'm still brainstorming/shopping, but they'll also get clothes, books, a few treats, and a game or two. My daughter's birthday is on Christmas as well, and I'm not sure at all what I'm getting her for that yet!

I hope you get some ideas for your family from everyone's suggestions!
Old 12-08-2018, 04:45 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My daughter is asking for a sister, so I told her I will get her the Nintendo Labo she was asking in summer. I don't really know how she'll use it since she only use her switch once a week, but her dad's more excited than she is so...

I'm so thankful for online shopping and all, because I can't go out by myself and buy these two gifts without them being with me and without them knowing. So whenever we go to the mall in the past months, I try to smell perfumes and take note which ones smells good and my husband might like.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:28 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Thank you for mentioning this! My son plays a marimba in his World Music class, but we will never be able to afford/justify buying one. I think the kalimba will be a fun item for him so I just grabbed one that happened to be on an Amazon lightning deal.

My family is tough to buy for. My husband wants a pressure washer-- that isn't a "fun" gift to buy. My oldest son has everything he wants since he is grown with a great job. My youngest son is pretty much on the computer all day and only wants a special gaming keyboard. I used to love buying gifts at Christmas, but my family is at the age where that isn't fun anymore. Bleh.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:00 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

oh that's awesome julie! hopefully he'll enjoy it! Lily is not in band this year and she really does like having things to tinker around with at home for playing but I like that this will be quieter than drums LOL!
Old 12-08-2018, 05:59 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My oldest (17) is getting a Clarisonic Mia Smart Sonic Cleansing Face Brush Gift Set. I got it on Black Friday much cheaper than Amazon has ever carried it. For the price of the device, I was able to get the gift set! She also got her first concert tickets (she used earlier this month), It BluRay as well as two shirts from Hot Topic.

Her sister bought her ashirt from Hot Topic (black friday $10 sale).

--------------------------------------------------------------

My middle (14) is getting Arteza Real Brush Pens, 96 Paint Markers which I also got on a huge sale a couple months ago. She is also getting a 24-pack and 12-pack of Copic Markers. She also got I Can Only Imagine BluRay as well as 2 skirts from Hot Topic.

Her sister bought her a shirt from Hot Topic (black friday $10 sale).

The youngest (5) is getting a couple Minecraft Lego sets that I bought off of Ebay earlier this year as well as a few of the $3.49 mini legos that I've picked up throughout the year. During Black Friday, I used Amazon's book coupon and picked up four books for him.

My husband, on Black Friday, got a Waterpik (so romantic, huh?)
Old 12-08-2018, 10:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyanne View Post
I have always thought that Christmas should be every other year. Sounds like this is the off year, for many of you as well as for me!
I love it! I'll just let my family know i'm taking this year off.

My kids, 18-21 don't really know what they want either. I always get them a few little things: a funny shirt, ornament, stocking stuffers. One wants a ski coat. Not sure what I'll end up getting there other three! I hope they give me some ideas soon!
Old 12-09-2018, 11:13 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

My kiddo is getting a switch and fiancé is getting tools.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm not really Christmasy this year, either. Money's really tight for us right now so each of my boys will get $50. With them all being teens they never want the small inexpensive stuff. So after the holidays pass, they'll get a little more. Plus, they get things throughout the year.