Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 06-16-2019, 12:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Tell me your news :-)

I have been MIA since what seems like forever.

Sadly I have not time to visit this place much, but I am curious about your news. Lots of things must have happened in those 3 years or so I haven't been here.

As for myself:

Still single, still childless, still hoping for a good man, ideally divorced with kids so I can at least have step children. ;-) Some time ago I finished an on-and-off relationship that had been going on for 11 years and led nowhere, and managed to fall in love madly and platonically with someone else, and fall out of love as it's to be expected with platonic feelings. :-) Currently no boyfriend, and maybe it's not such a bad thing right now.

Still in Luxembourg, still translating.

Still digi-scrapping and making photo books, but not as much as before. It happens in phases, like, I scrapbook like crazy for 2 months and then I have a 6-month break. Which is true about all of my hobbies - card-making, crocheting, building Lego, writing song lyrics (yay, that was my dream, I just have to find a musician, a singer and a label to release a CD). It all happens in phases.

Still wearing dresses and fancy hats. :-D

In sad news, my Mum has passed away this March after struggling with Alzheimer's for 10+ years. In a way it was a good thing for her, because she finally is at peace, but I am still processing it, and quite often fail. :-(

Last edited by adrianka; 06-16-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Welcome back! So sorry to hear about your mother, big hugs! My mom was recently diagnosed with dementia/Alzheimers. It's a tough disease. I didn't realize until her diagnosis how prevalent it is. In the U.S. 1 out of 3 people will pass away of a dementia-related illness.

Let's see, in the last three years, I had a baby (at the age of 43). He just turned 2 in May. Last year, I found several siblings and have established relationships with my paternal lineage. I guess those are the two most exciting developments, lol.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Welcome back! Good to hear from you. I'm so sorry to hear about your mother.

I don't know if it's a good or a bad thing that not much has changed for me in the last 3 years. The kids are all 3 years older (now 10, 13, and 15), but same job/house/husband. I'm still scrapping but posting and sharing pages a lot less. How and what I scrap has been changing as the kids get older, and I'm still finding my way through it. (That sounds way too dramatic, but still true!)
Old 06-17-2019, 03:04 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
Welcome back! So sorry to hear about your mother, big hugs! My mom was recently diagnosed with dementia/Alzheimers. It's a tough disease. I didn't realize until her diagnosis how prevalent it is. In the U.S. 1 out of 3 people will pass away of a dementia-related illness.

Let's see, in the last three years, I had a baby (at the age of 43). He just turned 2 in May. Last year, I found several siblings and have established relationships with my paternal lineage. I guess those are the two most exciting developments, lol.
Baby is great news :-) Also finding relatives. My father has 2 cousins in Serbia (they all come from an old Slovak community that came to that area cca 18th century), but we lost contact during the war in the 1990s. One of them found me on Facebook (basically she created an account to find me), and I went to see them 2 years ago.

Sorry to hear about your Mum's having been diagnosed. Sadly it is very common. When I talk to people about Mum it turns out somebody in their family also had AD. :-(

Old 06-17-2019, 03:04 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
Welcome back! Good to hear from you. I'm so sorry to hear about your mother.

I don't know if it's a good or a bad thing that not much has changed for me in the last 3 years. The kids are all 3 years older (now 10, 13, and 15), but same job/house/husband. I'm still scrapping but posting and sharing pages a lot less. How and what I scrap has been changing as the kids get older, and I'm still finding my way through it. (That sounds way too dramatic, but still true!)
No news usually means good news ;-)

Old 06-17-2019, 06:52 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm so sorry about your mother. I'm also sorry about your on/off relationship that ended. I'm sure those things are tough to go through.

Welcome back!

Old 06-17-2019, 07:32 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Kiana*~ View Post
I'm so sorry about your mother. I'm also sorry about your on/off relationship that ended. I'm sure those things are tough to go through.

Welcome back!
Thank you.

Actually, I was relieved when we finally split up. I deserve better. And I can be open now to what may (hopefully) come.

I am happy to be back. I will probably not be very active, but will drop by now and then. I have missed SSD.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:20 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've missed seeing your layouts! I love your dresses and fancy hats!

I am so sorry to hear about your mother! Thinking of you!

In 3 years... wow, a lot.

I learned about 7 aunts and uncles on my mom's side that I never knew existed. I met them a few years back. Two of my uncles are 3 months younger than me. They knew about me this whole time but I didn't know about them.

I gained a stepdaughter. My husband was contacted by a young lady who said she was told she may be his daughter. Indeed, paternity tests proved she was. It has been an amazing experience and now I have my first grandchild as well as she was pregnant when she contacted us. My grandbaby will be 2 next month. I'm so grateful that we've been part of her life for her whole life. As a note, my stepdaughter was conceived 6 months before my husband and I started dating. Her mom was married and assumed the baby was her husband's as she thought she was already pregnant at the time (thus why she didn't feel the need to use protection). Just added that part because there is always someone who jumps to the conclusion that he cheated on me.

Most recently, last year I went back to college. I'm working on finishing my associates in Elementary Education so I can move on to my bachelors. After this crazy hectic semester, I'm just 3 classes away!
Old 06-18-2019, 01:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri Tierney View Post
I've missed seeing your layouts! I love your dresses and fancy hats!

I am so sorry to hear about your mother! Thinking of you!

In 3 years... wow, a lot.

I learned about 7 aunts and uncles on my mom's side that I never knew existed. I met them a few years back. Two of my uncles are 3 months younger than me. They knew about me this whole time but I didn't know about them.

I gained a stepdaughter. My husband was contacted by a young lady who said she was told she may be his daughter. Indeed, paternity tests proved she was. It has been an amazing experience and now I have my first grandchild as well as she was pregnant when she contacted us. My grandbaby will be 2 next month. I'm so grateful that we've been part of her life for her whole life. As a note, my stepdaughter was conceived 6 months before my husband and I started dating. Her mom was married and assumed the baby was her husband's as she thought she was already pregnant at the time (thus why she didn't feel the need to use protection). Just added that part because there is always someone who jumps to the conclusion that he cheated on me.

Most recently, last year I went back to college. I'm working on finishing my associates in Elementary Education so I can move on to my bachelors. After this crazy hectic semester, I'm just 3 classes away!
It seems everybody has found new family members (me, too)!

Actually, the cheating idea hasn't crossed my mind, but I get it why you'd rather mention it. :-) BTW in an ideal world, if I end up with someone one day, I would totally prefer a divorced man with adult children, so that I can be a Grandma. :-)

Good luck with the collage!

Old 06-19-2019, 04:28 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Welcome back, Adrianka!

Let's see...My daughter just graduated high school and will be headed to college in two short months.

I finally realized my dream of becoming a SugarBabe!

I just ended a 6.5 year relationship and am figuring out how to navigate the single life. (So far, I've been too busy to mind!). I'm also looking at going back to work full-time once summer is over (I've been part-time for the last 4.5 years). That's my major news, I think!
Old 06-21-2019, 11:56 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm so sorry to hear of your mother's passing and will keep you in our prayers So glad that even though you are so busy, you still managed to find time to come back and visit with us!!!
Old 06-21-2019, 12:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallt View Post
Welcome back, Adrianka!

Let's see...My daughter just graduated high school and will be headed to college in two short months.

I finally realized my dream of becoming a SugarBabe!

I just ended a 6.5 year relationship and am figuring out how to navigate the single life. (So far, I've been too busy to mind!). I'm also looking at going back to work full-time once summer is over (I've been part-time for the last 4.5 years). That's my major news, I think!
Thanks for sharing! And yay Sugarbabe!

Old 06-21-2019, 12:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
I'm so sorry to hear of your mother's passing and will keep you in our prayers So glad that even though you are so busy, you still managed to find time to come back and visit with us!!!

Old 06-22-2019, 02:23 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Hugs to you! Biggest condolences for your mother's passing.
For the past 3 years, let's see... my son graduated kindergarten and started primary one last summer. We moved into our own apartment in 2015 after renting a crappy apartment for 3 years.
We made so many attempts to move out of China, failed and this year decided to give it a break. There were a lot of ups and downs.
Old 06-22-2019, 04:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nietis View Post
Hugs to you! Biggest condolences for your mother's passing.
For the past 3 years, let's see... my son graduated kindergarten and started primary one last summer. We moved into our own apartment in 2015 after renting a crappy apartment for 3 years.
We made so many attempts to move out of China, failed and this year decided to give it a break. There were a lot of ups and downs.
Thank you!

I am crossing my fingers for you with the next attempt.

Totally OT, but in those 3 years we acquired (weird word to use I think) a colleague who studied Chinese and lived in China, and it's fun to go to a Chinese restaurant with him, because they always prepare something that isn't on the menu. :-)

Old 06-22-2019, 09:37 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianka View Post
Totally OT, but in those 3 years we acquired (weird word to use I think) a colleague who studied Chinese and lived in China, and it's fun to go to a Chinese restaurant with him, because they always prepare something that isn't on the menu. :-)
LOL! Chinese restaurants owners or any shop owners would be super nice if they find any foreigners speaking in Chinese to them. I have a Swedish friend living and working here, we went to a shop in a market one day. The owner was so nice to her, she gave discount without us asking, though we only bought 1 thing. That would never happen to me, though I am a foreigner too.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I’m sorry about your Mom and the Alzheimer’s. Very difficult to go through.

In the last 3 years my kids all grew up! One graduated from college, youngest graduated from high school and is headed to college, one will be a junior in college and one is working. Oh and one is getting married. Definitely in a new stage of life!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2019, 01:47 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Welcome back! I'm very sorry to hear about your mom. I hope you find the relationship you're looking for!!

I'm in So Cal until about the end of July. My mom is disabled from severe osteoporosis. I'm doing work on her house & helping her sort through "stuff" in the hopes that she'll move closer to me so I can take care of her when she needs it. She goes back & forth about moving, so we'll see.

My youngest is moving out around July 1st (while I'm gone ) and starting college mid-August. When I get home, hubby & I will be empty nesters.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nietis View Post
LOL! Chinese restaurants owners or any shop owners would be super nice if they find any foreigners speaking in Chinese to them. I have a Swedish friend living and working here, we went to a shop in a market one day. The owner was so nice to her, she gave discount without us asking, though we only bought 1 thing. That would never happen to me, though I am a foreigner too.
:-) :-) :-)

Old 06-25-2019, 03:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by icindi View Post
I’m sorry about your Mom and the Alzheimer’s. Very difficult to go through.

In the last 3 years my kids all grew up! One graduated from college, youngest graduated from high school and is headed to college, one will be a junior in college and one is working. Oh and one is getting married. Definitely in a new stage of life!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks.

That is a pretty exciting new stage. ;-)

Old 06-25-2019, 03:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
Welcome back! I'm very sorry to hear about your mom. I hope you find the relationship you're looking for!!

I'm in So Cal until about the end of July. My mom is disabled from severe osteoporosis. I'm doing work on her house & helping her sort through "stuff" in the hopes that she'll move closer to me so I can take care of her when she needs it. She goes back & forth about moving, so we'll see.

My youngest is moving out around July 1st (while I'm gone ) and starting college mid-August. When I get home, hubby & I will be empty nesters.
Thanks.

It's a very strange thing when the child/parent roles get switched and we have to take care of them after they have cared for us most of our life...