Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 08-28-2021, 10:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Kit request Obesity

Hello everyone,

I would love very much doing a layout on a problem I suffer from: obesity.

It's a real disease and still too many people think that obese people are sick because they lack willpower and snack all day.
I hear a lot about it. Not to mention fat phobia...

I decided to stop suffering of other's look and accept myself as I am.
I feel better since but despite everything, it's still complicated, I can't buy clothes like everyone else, there are special shop, "curvy", "large size" sections that make people feels like "not normal".

I would really like to be able to scrap that with elements that could show the suffering but especially very positive elements, journal card, title even humoristic or sarcastic about the acceptance of oneself and the fact that we love ourselves as we are and that the obese also have their place in society!

I know there are great kits for doing this but it would be great to have more specific stuff in a kit.

It's just an idea, I think it could be great to talk about.

Thanks for reading me!
Old 08-28-2021, 11:51 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

maybe some other elements regarding weight gain/challenges with menopause? As we age it is not easy at all to deal with the changing look of our bodies and since I am struggling with that currently I would like to document it
Old 08-28-2021, 01:04 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I think that's a great idea. I hope one of the designers can create something beautiful.
Old 08-28-2021, 06:34 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Also if a kit were to be made, perhaps adding stuff in there for weight loss surgery since I know off hand several scrappers who have gone through the process. It would be nice to be able to use a specific weight-related product to scrap their journey. Maybe also add in there PCOS since that plays a huge part to my weight that I carry
Old 08-28-2021, 06:36 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeideC View Post
maybe some other elements regarding weight gain/challenges with menopause? As we age it is not easy at all to deal with the changing look of our bodies and since I am struggling with that currently I would like to document it
Erica recently came out with this one for menopause
Old 08-29-2021, 12:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Great idea!!!
Old 08-29-2021, 01:37 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
Also if a kit were to be made, perhaps adding stuff in there for weight loss surgery since I know off hand several scrappers who have gone through the process. It would be nice to be able to use a specific weight-related product to scrap their journey. Maybe also add in there PCOS since that plays a huge part to my weight that I carry
Couldn't agree more with this though I'd be happy with even a mini kit quite honestly. I feel like this could be a kit for Erica to possibly tackle given the types of themes shes done in the past

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 08-29-2021, 10:51 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thank you ladies for sharing your ideas and bring new ones!

I didn't think of surgery because I'm not eligible for now (that's what my doctor say and honestly I'm really scare too right now) but for sure it's important.

I would like something weight related but as I told in a positive way.

In my case, obesity come from genetic part (nearly all my family suffers of it) and also some medicines by the past don't help plus psychology part (I take weight with stress).
It started in my teenage years. I losted weight then I gained weight and now it just don't change... Of course I take care of my weight but for example I will not weigh myself every day, the scale isn't my friend.

That's more something about the day-to-day I'd like to scrap, see what I mean?

And of course body positive! As I can't do a lot more for this (and I'm medically followed for this of course) the best I could do is accept my body!

And I don't see why I shouldn't love my body even it's not what I imagine or what I see in the magazines. I have a ton of stretch marks too and I felt guilty about it but finally why? I live with it nobody else so it's too easy to judge without knowing. I want to accept me like I am and don't give a care of other's bad look!

The worst or finally the funny thing is my kids are super thin and I have tons of reflections about it, like if I don't private them off food, or eat their plate, that they would be more beautiful bigger and so on... Of course they are healthy but when they were babies I was just so scare for them! It took about 3 years for their pediatrician to reassure me and makes me understand that they were totally normal and that I just have to accept they are like this with a little appetite.
Could you believe that?
I think it's really show the society have a problem with that!

We are all beautiful as we are! I know it's easy to say but I truly think it's true!

I agree that Erica maybe could do an amazing kit, Designers ladies, what do you think?
Old 08-29-2021, 10:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I think this is a great idea! For the majority of my adult life I have been 'morbidly obese' and struggled to find myself and accept myself in a larger body. I am now only 'obese' instead of 'morbidly obese' after losing a lot of weight following Weight Loss surgery in 2020. But I would love love LOVE a kit about accepting who you are at any weight/size and embracing your curves!!!

Old 08-30-2021, 07:36 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Great idea! I would love a kit that embraces us at any size!! My thyroid and a few other issues were part of my struggle for many years... Heredity/genetics plays such a big part of it too. Everyone on my side of the family is bigger... It took me a long time to be sorta okay with my size.... and then when my blood pressure kept going up n up... I decided I needed to make some serious changes and hope they helped... It has been a year of change for me, but the work has been hard, and I hope I can keep it up. I never had the time to spend 2-3 hours each day exercising and hours on the weekends doing food prep when the kids were little, and when I worked outside of my home and when I was taking classes... I am still curvy and overweight, but my health has greatly improved and most importantly I am off all the blood pressure meds! I will be on the thyroid ones for life since that had to go a few years ago.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 08-30-2021, 09:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh thank you so much for sharing your experiences ladies! This is really interesting to read you!
Trina, I'm in morbidly obese category right now, isn't this word just awful?
I'm glad the surgery helps you! This what I wanted a kit like this!

Stacy, totally agree with the genetic part and thyroid is also a big problem! Congrats for manage to do some change!
You makes me laugh a lot with saying you don't have time to make 2-3 hours of exercices, I totally relate with all you said!
I'm often told to walk instead, I agree: I like walking but when? With little kids (ok they're getting older but still need me often lol), I do my best but can't do everyday because there's a lot of other stuff to do (and not sitting down and snack nope )and for example their school is 15 kilometers (9,32 miles) from home, 30 km (18, 64 miles) round trip... Hmmm don't think they'll agree and don't think I could do it. . And the same for the meals.
Thank you for making me laugh about that Stacy!
You know, I think I should try to change some things too!
My mom suffers from Diabete, High blood pressure, had a heart attack and is very sad with all that. She tried all except the surgery because the doctors aren't ok here's.
But I know earlier or later I will suffer from this too and I totally get you with the med for high blood pressure. In a way I think it's difficult to admit it but reading you helps me so a big thank you!

I agree with you both, that's what I mean "a kit about accepting who you are at any weight/size and embracing your curves!!!" or "a kit that embraces us at any size"! Yeah for that!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much for sharing experiences again and hope a designer will accept to do a kit for our curvy size!
Old 08-30-2021, 11:04 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I think Kelly would be amazing with this one - I know she's pretty busy these days but I think she'd rock some curvy illustrations!! I pointed her this way so she didn't miss it!
Old 08-30-2021, 11:32 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Aww Thank you so much Erica!
That would be so great!
Old 08-30-2021, 02:12 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

You know, I think Lorie (LJS) could also make something quite awesome. She always has these fun quotes on her journal cards. I asked her about it and said she's been thinking about it.
Old 08-30-2021, 07:54 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

As a "chunky chick" I have been seriously thinking about doing a kit like this to the point I have a mood board for it. I can totally relate to so much that has been said here, being heavy, feeling like people look at me and judge me for it, (I tell my son that fat prejudice not only exists, but it is the only one that is still accepted in society,) and struggling to lose weight without much success because of my thryroid issue and because I like food and refuse to starve to be thin. It is not worth it to me.

Thing is, I really don't mind my weight, I've been heavy my entire life, but I don't think I've allowed it to define me, but I know I have let it keep me from doing some things, like wearing short sleeves and shorts, which I hate, but it so ingrained I don't think I would do it even if I lost weight. And when I say ingrained, I mean it is from childhood when my brother told me I was too fat to wear shorts, etc. And we were little kids, that is how bad the negativity about weight is.

Despite being heavy, I like myself. I make a lot of jokes about it that seem to bother other people, because they are uncomfortable acknowledging my weight when I am not. I am fat. I can say it, because it is true. It is also true that I am smart, strong, crafty, attractive and a lot of other positive things. I know how to dress to suit my body and I look pretty damn cute on a daily basis. And I do that for me, because I like me and I deserve to feel good about how I look no matter my size.

If it wasn't for the health aspects, I would be quite content being the fat chick I am, but I am diabetic, so I have to lose some weight for me. In the past year, I have lost 50 lbs. But I am also doing weight loss my way - a way that I think will work for me in the long run. I found a plan that works with the way I eat my meals and the only thing I am really changing is what I eat a little and how much I eat more. But I don't believe I can loose all the weight at once living a lifestyle I can't maintain and I don't beat myself up if I eat something I shouldn't. I don't count calories and I don't weigh myself all the time. I try to make good decision and work at keeping the pounds off as much as losing them. And if it takes me three years to lose it all, well that is fine by me. My doctor would probably like me to do it faster, but I've already cut my diabetes meds in half, so I feel like what I am doing is working for me and since I am the only person in this equation, I feel good about it.

So, that is a long, drawn out way to say, yes, I know this journey and I have been thinking about this type of kit for a while. If Kelly decides not to do it, it may be time for me to stop thinking about it and just do it.

Last edited by LJSDesigns; 08-30-2021 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:10 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wow Thank you so much ladies!

Lorie, I just agree with ALL you said!
I totally relate and you told exactly what I wanted to express but in a simple way (and far better English).

I regret not talking about this earlier here's because I realize I can't talk about it with my entourage except family but it's not the same.
Some people are more empathetic than other but majority will tell you something like "Do a diet, exercices and all will be ok!" I carricature a little but it's far from true.
Or "it's in the mental, if you accept to loose weight you will loose it..." Yeah for sure!

I just love how you take it and the fact you do some jokes and make people uncomfortable! I love to say "Am I not fat enough?" when someone hustle me in a crowd or answer someone who try to sell some food that I'd love "I think you can clearly see it"
That makes me laugh!
And I totally relate too with the clothes!
You're right, our weight don't define us! I agree with you I say I'm fat too, it's a constatation but also lot's of other things too.

What you told your son is just so true! This is the point! I don't understand why people don't change about this!
Finally, we are the only person annoyed with our weight for health plan, not the others.
I think people like people who fits in the boxes. Society said the standard and you have to be like this...
I heard the same bad reflection about my kids, lots of people call them the "shrimps' (and probably the whale for me in my back), I hate that! Or comparing like "what your son wear this size at 8 yo, mine is younger and wear bigger..." and?
See it's something constantly that's why we need and deserve to love ourselves and gain self confidence because I think I'll be crazy if I listen all the stupid or mean things but my mother take it for her and clearly suffer from this so that's why I want to talk about this!

I'd love talented designer such you or Kelly (or maybe both) choose this subject, I'm over the moon thinking this kit will finally exist!

THANK YOU so much for listening me and understanding what I mean!
Old 08-31-2021, 11:16 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh and I forget, congrats for your loosing weight and cut off the diabete meds!
You makes me laugh with the time it will take you or not, this is exactly that!
I really relate your way of taking this.
Old 09-01-2021, 07:54 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrap-therapy View Post
Oh and I forget, congrats for your loosing weight and cut off the diabete meds!
You makes me laugh with the time it will take you or not, this is exactly that!
I really relate your way of taking this.

Thanks. It is something I feel passionately about because I know I have to do things my own way or I will never accomplish my health goals. Whatever I do, needs to fit me and my life to make it maintainable, so I have to be realistic.

So much about diet and beauty is so unrealistic it isn't even funny. The standard set by the media in ads, movies, television, etc. is completely unrealistic and does so much mental damage to all the people who don't fit that skinny, tiny mold. It takes a lot to break free of that since it is pushed at us all the time.

Learning to accept ourselves as we are and love who we are can be a huge struggle for so many. The older I get, the more I am able to embrace my own attributes and see the beauty of who I am. Age, and the self awareness that comes with it, can be so empowering, which is something else that is overlooked by the media. Older women do not get the respect and recognition they deserve because being young is pushed at us as much as being thin is. It is all so messed up, it's no wonder so many of us are stress eaters!
Old 09-02-2021, 09:16 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You 're so right Lorie, I totally agree with you!

I am very amused because I think we have a pretty similar way of thinking about this problem.

I completely agree with you that it is better to be realistic in your goals to achieve them. I'm really glad for you you can do this!

It is true that the advertising, the media, the society constantly refer us to this supposedly perfect image of beauty and as you say it is not even funny.
I also think that a lot of women with normal bodies get sick because they think they are not. It's serious!

And you are completely right also for older women, we hide them as if we could not look beautiful with an old body except that it is nature and everything is normal.

The criteria we are given are false and unachievable.

I also think that you learn to accept yourself with age and self-awareness with it. But it may depend, I think, on our own self-confidence as well.
I hope that over time, society will evolve and reject less people who do not fit into the boxes such as the obese among others.

I want to keep hope.

And also that one day we will be able to eat normally without worrying because you are right, in the end, no one knows what to eat and everyone ends up being stressed. Too much informations.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your opinion and your feelings, you have helped me a lot to move forward too!
Old 09-02-2021, 04:36 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Hi friends! Erica messaged me that this would be an awesome kit for me to take on, so I did!! It will be live tomorrow! Thought I'd show you I hope you like it!!
Old 09-02-2021, 05:24 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrap-therapy View Post
Trina, I'm in morbidly obese category right now, isn't this word just awful?
I'm glad the surgery helps you! This what I wanted a kit like this!

Yes - that and when they called me 'Geriatric Maternity' for having a baby at (gasp) 36 years old.

Old 09-02-2021, 05:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Kelly, that looks awesome!!!!
Old 09-02-2021, 05:49 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBcreative View Post
Hi friends! Erica messaged me that this would be an awesome kit for me to take on, so I did!! It will be live tomorrow! Thought I'd show you I hope you like it!!
I AM SCREAMING OVER HERE! Don't know if you can hear me - omigosh, I am so freaking excited about this kit!!!

I come from a long line of curvy women; Irish, English & Polish genes - big boobs, large hips and tummies - and unless we exercise like crazy and watch every morsel that goes in our mouths, "thin" isn't possible for us. Add on chronic health issues that have nothing to do with weight but that make exercise difficult to impossible for me, and I'm at the high end of my lifelong battle with my weight.

I absolutely LOVE this kit and will be snatching it up just as soon as it goes on sale!

Old 09-03-2021, 01:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
OMG this is amazing.....as someone who is slowly losing weight and having her shape change before her very eyes this will be amazing to scrap the mental side of the journey I think.

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 09-03-2021, 02:17 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Great idea!

Last edited by msbamf2you; 09-03-2021 at 05:35 AM.
Old 09-03-2021, 04:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Wow Kelly, this is just so so so perfect and so cute! I love the preview and can't wait to buy it as soon as it released! Love how you take on, Erica was true and you did amazing work! I'm also so happy as I love the pink color!
Oh can't wait to play with it! Thank you so much Kelly!
Old 09-03-2021, 04:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjscraps View Post
Yes - that and when they called me 'Geriatric Maternity' for having a baby at (gasp) 36 years old.
No? Does this word is really used with "pregnancy" word? Can't believe they called you like this at 36 years old! I really think you were considered at more risk than other women at 40 but don't call it geriatric maternity, this is awful too!!!!
Old 09-03-2021, 04:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiekey View Post
I AM SCREAMING OVER HERE! Don't know if you can hear me - omigosh, I am so freaking excited about this kit!!!

I come from a long line of curvy women; Irish, English & Polish genes - big boobs, large hips and tummies - and unless we exercise like crazy and watch every morsel that goes in our mouths, "thin" isn't possible for us. Add on chronic health issues that have nothing to do with weight but that make exercise difficult to impossible for me, and I'm at the high end of my lifelong battle with my weight.

I absolutely LOVE this kit and will be snatching it up just as soon as it goes on sale!
Angie I can't wait to see your layout!
Old 09-03-2021, 04:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbamf2you View Post
Great idea!
Hey I saw your lovely post earlier, just to told you I wish you will feel better and finally find positivity in your situation, I really think of you!
And for the exercices you're right because I see I start to get out of breath with climbing the stairs... And Covid is really stressful with our problem! That was super nice to say that!